PDA

View Full Version : [3.x] So I have a great idea for a campaign but....

Baltor
2011-07-02, 08:23 PM
I have been toying around with the idea of starting a settlement campaign. I am doing yjis to allow my players to have a hand in the final set up for the the world that I will be using for the forseeable future. In order for this to work I have to start out at a fairly early point in the worlds history. I have decided to make the part of the world that the players have so far discovered mostly magic, and god free. I want them to discover both as adventuring. So what I need is advise for the gradual implementation of magic. I was thinking that I would have them set up the stats for the class that they will eventually join and then start them as either experts or the corresponding generic class. How do I facilitate the change from expert to wizard or cleric? are there any existing home brews that cover these types of issues?

Yitzi
2011-07-02, 09:43 PM
Expert is more of the NPC equivalent to rogue. The NPC equivalent to wizard or cleric would be adept.

I'd say the best way to set up a change (probably not from expert, as expert gets skill points that casters don't) is to allow them to convert levels from the old class to the new class once every X levels. (Alternatively, allow them to multiclass into the caster class, although that'll decrease their power level.)

DracoDei
2011-07-02, 09:44 PM
are there any existing home brews that cover these types of issues?
There is something... somewhat related, although I don't know if it will be helpful or not.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4230264&postcount=41

And an earlier version with its own thread, in case you wanted more of other people's thoughts on things. (Note that the contest had no "must be a new and original creation" rule!)
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10224

EDIT to deal with being Swordsaged:

Expert is more of the NPC equivalent to rogue. The NPC equivalent to wizard or cleric would be adept.
Problem being he wants NO magic to start, and adepts are casters. Unless you are suggesting he drop the spellcasting and familiar?

Baltor
2011-07-02, 10:25 PM
Thank you. With a little tweaking that sould work nicely. I could use some help with other parts of the campaign would that go on this board or in the regular D&D board?

DracoDei
2011-07-02, 11:29 PM
Thank you. With a little tweaking that sould work nicely. I could use some help with other parts of the campaign would that go on this board or in the regular D&D board?
Depending on what it is, it would probably go either here or in the World-Building area. I guess if you were making a lot of RAW-legal NPCs that might go in whatever area has the character building stuff...