PDA

View Full Version : AVB - dark connections

Pages : [1] 2

planswalker
2011-07-02, 09:01 PM
Thamalos or DM only. Everyone else, go away.

The Mistique Unique is a tavern in the seedier part of the docks that caters to almost any sort of illicit craving one may have. They are said to have two offerings: the boring and the expensive. The boring stuff is all quite legal and easily accessible. The expensive stuff, well, you get what you pay for.

You find the building itself to be a ramshackle wood building with nothing to distinguish it from any of the other run-down buildings in this part of town.

thamolas
2011-07-02, 09:10 PM
When I walk in, I look around to see if there are any young fellows who seem to be in over his/their head(s). Also, I keep an eye out for anyone I might recognize (maybe from my past as a noble or "other").

planswalker
2011-07-02, 09:30 PM
well, since it's just you and me in this thread, don't feel the need to quote what you're responding to. It will almost always be the latest post from the other person.

It seems like ten years has been long enough that all your old contacts are either dead, arrested, or gone to ground. Inside the tavern, you see a bunch of rather tough-looking customers. Despite how badly you stick out like a sore thumb, no one gives you special attention. There is a barkeep at the far corner of the room, a dwarf, by the looks of him. Or maybe a gnome. You're not totally sure.

thamolas
2011-07-02, 09:37 PM
I approach the bar, still keeping an eye out for any young noble types who look like they might be in over their heads.

"When you've got a free moment, I'd like to have word," I say to the barkeep.

planswalker
2011-07-02, 09:46 PM
please stop quoting the post right above you. Please reserve quotes to being used when you're responding to other than the post immediately above you. it'll save us space in the thread.

He seems to ignore you. You recall that often, even common courtesy isn't free in such places, although words are often cheap.

thamolas
2011-07-02, 10:25 PM
OOC: is this a normal tavern or is it more of a brothel or a drug place?

planswalker
2011-07-02, 10:27 PM
It appears that this is just a rather seedy tavern. The rumors say otherwise.

check the spoiler. use the "spoil" button to put your ooc stuff in spoilers. it breaks the flow of the story less.

thamolas
2011-07-02, 10:37 PM
I speak to the bartender low and firm and in cant (I personally don't know thieves' cant, but my character certainly does): "If you need a capable hand to help you with any of your operation, I am looking for work."

planswalker
2011-07-02, 11:07 PM
He responds in kind. "You looking for work or just the next big thrill?"

that's okay. I don't either.

thamolas
2011-07-02, 11:53 PM
"Work, my friend. Thrills are for amateurs."

planswalker
2011-07-03, 12:11 AM
"Understood. What you got that I can work with?"

thamolas
2011-07-03, 12:17 AM
(Again, as much in cant as is possible): "I can infiltrate. Or I can retrieve. If it's not too hot, I can eliminate... What kind of work do you need done?"

planswalker
2011-07-03, 12:30 AM
"Bits of this and that. Let's start you off easy. There's a guy who wants out. I'm pretty sure you know the only way out in this world."

thamolas
2011-07-03, 12:31 AM
"A smile and a handshake... heh heh..."

planswalker
2011-07-03, 12:32 AM
"I see you know the local custom. Have you been by here before?"

thamolas
2011-07-03, 12:37 AM
"It's been awhile, friend. Like everybody, I have a past. But I'll hold up my end. I work.... But you should know, I have one small stipulation in my working arrangement: I need a room - doesn't have to be big or fancy - to call my own. It's a sign of faith on both sides."

planswalker
2011-07-03, 12:41 AM
"I'll get you a room when you get this job done. The mark's name is Jackie Blackie. He's a funny one, makes a good smuggler, but he's found some pretty little tart that turned his head and now he wants out. He's going on one last mission for us tonight at midnight in a warehouse in Old Town. Make sure he can't betray us to the Watch."

thamolas
2011-07-03, 12:46 AM
"So... he's out and before he can rat. I'm on it. You think he'll betray you? Or are you exercising caution? Tell me the time and place and I'll keep an eye on him and do what I can to keep you satisfied - but don't hold me liable if he botches the job! I ain't fighting the watch over a small fish."

planswalker
2011-07-03, 02:25 AM
"We're using him to send a message: there's only one way out of the gang. Go to the warehouse at 11:00 and tell him Scully's watching."

thamolas
2011-07-03, 11:02 AM
"And that's my part, eh? I'll shoot down there and give 'im yer message."

My character would get it, but I'm not sure I do: the idea is to give him the message, watch him, and finish him when he's done with his job? Or is it to give him the message before offing him on the spot? Or am I the messenger only and the guild/gang will handle the "dirty work"?

planswalker
2011-07-03, 11:27 AM
Your "message" is to kill him when he finishes the one last job.

"Scully's watching" is the password to show you're really part of the gang.

"Good. Now, you'll wanna be out of the Docks before nightfall. A different gang rules the night, and you won't survive their "attentions". Also, the Watch locks the gates at night, making it harder for you to get to the warehouse on time."

thamolas
2011-07-03, 12:05 PM
Ha ha, thanks.

"I'll get on it. See you tomorrow, then."

Unless the barkeep stops me to say anything else, I make my way outside and do some snooping around for three things (being careful not to spend too much time on it):

1)Who Jackie Blackie is, where he can be found, and what he's like
2)Who his little tart is, where she can be found, and what she's like
and
3)Any relatives/friends of the family I have in town who don't live in a restricted area

Gather Information:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

planswalker
2011-07-03, 12:07 PM
sadly, you spend [roll0] hours and learn nothing.

thamolas
2011-07-03, 01:00 PM
Well, that certainly cuts down my options, eh?

I walk over to the warehouse to take a look.

planswalker
2011-07-03, 01:08 PM
From all appearances, the large, old building is abandoned. There are no windows, and the large double doors at the front seem to be the only ones.

thamolas
2011-07-03, 01:22 PM
How much time have I got?

planswalker
2011-07-03, 01:38 PM
Thirty minutes.

thamolas
2011-07-03, 01:52 PM
Erm... I find a spot where I can loiter and keep an eye on the entrance, without being too obvious, and wait it out. While waiting, I unfold my blanket, ball it up carefully and hold it.

planswalker
2011-07-03, 02:03 PM
You loiter about holding a balled up blanket.

Ten minutes later, a rather nervous looking man walks up to the warehouse and enters.

thamolas
2011-07-03, 06:12 PM
I study him as he passes, but I try to keep a casual pose.

Isn't there a skill that let's you roughly assess someone's power level relative to your own? I forget.

planswalker
2011-07-03, 06:31 PM
nope. You'll just have to make your best guess, and live with the consequences.

or not...

Other than being quite nervous and slightly overweight, there is nothing to distinguish the gentleman who just went into the warehouse that looks abandoned less than twenty minutes before you're supposed to rendezvous with someone matching his general description.

thamolas
2011-07-03, 07:02 PM
I like your use of the word "rendezvous". Heh.

I spend a few minutes disguising my face a little, in case there are witnesses (keeping an eye on the entrance in case you know who leaves early).

Disguise:
[roll]d20+9[\roll] (I would get a +2 from my kit, but I don't want to distract myself by taking it out; it is night, so it doesn't have to be well done)

When my window hits the 7 minutes or less mark, I position myself outside the doorway and try to make myself hard to see for someone coming out.

And then I wait quietly for my mark to make his appearance.

planswalker
2011-07-03, 07:24 PM
hide and disguise check, please.

Seven minutes later, you are still waiting for a man who looks an awful lot like the man who had already gone in twenty minutes ago.

thamolas
2011-07-03, 07:50 PM
Disguise -the code didn't seem to work before, for some reason:
[roll]d20+9[\roll]

I was under the impression that I was supposed to nab him after he leaves the warehouse. DM hint noted! I'm not used to PbP yet, I guess. Sorry about that!

I figure it would be better to nab him inside and forget about hiding.

I open the door, trying to be quiet:

Move silently:
[roll]d20+3[\roll]

thamolas
2011-07-03, 07:52 PM
What the heck am I doing wrong with the dice roller?!

Trying again

Disguise
1d6+9

Move Silently
1d20+3

planswalker
2011-07-03, 07:54 PM
\ is the wrong slash. it's /.

not the one below backspace, the one next to Lshift.

remember, you're supposed to kill him after he does the job, whatever it is.

You find the mark inside, nervously standing beside a crate. "Who are you?" he asks.

thamolas
2011-07-03, 07:59 PM
"Arden... New guy... came by to see if you needed a hand."

Even though its kinda moot now:
Disguise
[roll0]

planswalker
2011-07-03, 08:02 PM
congrats. The power of the forum roller is now at your disposal.

"Really? A hand? What with?"

thamolas
2011-07-03, 08:29 PM
"Woa woa woa. Jackie... I'm the new guy here. Throw me a bone, huh?"

planswalker
2011-07-03, 09:05 PM
"New guy, so you said. Who sent you?"

thamolas
2011-07-03, 09:21 PM
(With cant covering some of the forwardness) "I was at The Mistique, talking about upping my smuggling game and was told to come down here to throw in with Jackie Blackie. 'Maybe you'll learn something,' they said. 'Good smuggler,' they said. I believed 'em, figured it couldn't hurt to brush up with a pro and here I am. Is it so insulting to have a scrub around to soak up some knowledge? I ain't here to step on your toes. If you want me to back off, I don't mind."

planswalker
2011-07-03, 09:33 PM
"You claim to be from Mistique? What's the password?"

thamolas
2011-07-03, 09:45 PM
"Scully's Watching."

planswalker
2011-07-03, 10:56 PM
His mood instantly lightens, but his wariness remains. "Then why didn't you say so to begin with?"

thamolas
2011-07-03, 11:24 PM
"I trust a man more than I trust an organization - or a password. Organizations are abstract. Men are real. So..." I indicate the area on which he had his attention when I entered the room. "Don't let me slow you down."

planswalker
2011-07-03, 11:29 PM
"Well, I take it they didn't bother to tell you what we're going to be doing tonight, did they?"

thamolas
2011-07-03, 11:34 PM
"Not a damn thing. Ha ha."

planswalker
2011-07-03, 11:41 PM
"We've got a load of rather nasty contact poisons that have arrived by discrete transport. Our job is to take the vials out of the 200 wooden holy symbols they're hidden in and package them for transport. Once done, we deliver them to the buyer, take his pay, and report to the Mediator with the money."

thamolas
2011-07-03, 11:55 PM
"Sounds like good work. We should get started."

I play the role of helper and student until we are down to the last couple of vials.

planswalker
2011-07-04, 12:06 AM
It takes about 2 hours to get to that point. Provided you don't drop any poisons, things go smoothly. Dexterity check to see if you do.

thamolas
2011-07-04, 12:11 AM
Dex check
[roll0]

I hope I got a killer circumstance bonus for moving really slow!

planswalker
2011-07-04, 12:22 AM
sadly, no. The dc assumes such care was taken. but the dc was low. it was 10.

Sadly you drop a vial and some of it splashes on you.

fortitude save

thamolas
2011-07-04, 12:23 AM
[roll0]

This would be a sad way to go. LOL

planswalker
2011-07-04, 12:31 AM
The dragon bile rushes through your veins, and deals [roll0] strength damage.

"Be careful with those. Each one's worth over a thousand gold!" the man shouts when he sees that you dropped one.

thamolas
2011-07-04, 12:36 AM
"Jackie... are you married?"

planswalker
2011-07-04, 12:41 AM
"No, but there is a girl I'd like to, why?"

thamolas
2011-07-04, 12:42 AM
"And do you want kids and a family? Gods, tell me you do."

planswalker
2011-07-04, 12:44 AM
"Of course, what man wouldn't? Why do you ask?"

thamolas
2011-07-04, 12:45 AM
"I have a strange confession to make and I want you and me to work out something."

planswalker
2011-07-04, 12:57 AM
mind linking me to your character? our wiki is having fits and not showing us the page.

His eyes narrow, and his suspicions are raised. "They sent you to kill me, didn't they? He told me only one more mission, and now I know what he meant. I knew it was too good to be true."

thamolas
2011-07-04, 01:07 AM
sure thing:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=309817

"Yes. They did. But I won't break up a chance at lasting love and a happy family. Hear me out; I have a proposition for you. You and I finish this job, then you take off into the night. I have a safe place in Blackwater you can stay at until you and your lady get your lives together. You and I would have to be stupid to doublecross whoever would order this stuff, so I'll report that I offed you and hand over the money to them. I'll split whatever they pay me for this job, giving half to your lady and send her to follow you. Tell me where I can find her and I'll give her the money. What do you say? We both get what we want, right?"

planswalker
2011-07-04, 08:34 AM
He looks at you suspiciously. "That dragon bile really messed you up, didn't it? Why don't I just toss another vile at you, tell my contact that the buffoon sent to help me dropped two and I killed him for it, tell the Mediator that you dropped three, and use the extra 1500 to by myself and Rosaline passage to the Empire of Seven Dragons."

thamolas
2011-07-04, 10:26 AM
"Because you want out of this kind of life... why would you kill somebody who wants to help you? And to start a better life by betraying somebody who's willing to take as big a risk as you are to help you get there? In my past, I came to realize that marriage, family, and the bonds of love are more important than work or duty. Hell, it's the only reason I didn't just wait to nail you when you walked out of here. I wanted to talk to you and find out if the bit about your lady was legit. It is and, dragon bile or no, I feel I made the right choice... We're men, not animals... Besides, a little magic could easily reveal your deception - when that much money is involved - and having powerful enemies bent on revenge ain't smart. That, and if you're seen out making moves without me before you leave, they could nail you with whatever contingency plan they've got."

planswalker
2011-07-04, 07:59 PM
He seems to relax a little, but the tension is still high. "So, what specifically do you propose? I presume you'll want to give them proof of my demise."

thamolas
2011-07-05, 09:45 AM
"Well, the Lord of Blackwater and I go back a long way. I'm sure he could help you find honest work somewhere. And they have a room that he'd let you use if I ask. I'll write a letter and close it with my seal."

I pull a sheet of parchment from my scrollcase.

"Hmm... proof..." I look him over. "Do you have any identifiers that they would recognize? A family ring, a lucky dagger, an earring... something?"

planswalker
2011-07-05, 12:58 PM
"That would prove you killed me instead of just having taken it? I'm thinking you'll have to have a body part."

thamolas
2011-07-05, 01:05 PM
"They didn't specifically say that I had to bring back a body part. Being the new guy, I'd probably get a pass on that one. This job didn't seem like a big enough deal to them to want to waste magic on it. I imagine I'd get a 'next time we want to see blood' lecture. Unless you have another idea or a body part to spare... Hell, I don't even have a room yet. I could just say that I didn't want to get blood leaking onto my stuff."

planswalker
2011-07-06, 10:19 PM
"Then I shall gamble my life on such. Shall I give you then my family's medallion, to lend credence to your story? I part with it only for the hope that it will satisfy them and allow me to continue the family without it."

thamolas
2011-07-07, 01:06 AM
"Then I shall gamble my life on such. Shall I give you then my family's medallion, to lend credence to your story? I part with it only for the hope that it will satisfy them and allow me to continue the family without it."

"A family medallion should suffice. If I can, I'll show it to them and then return it to you some day. And don't forget to tell me your lady's name and where I can find her - and where you'd like her to rendezvous with you..."

I stop to improvise a poem:

when stars cross
as fates intertwine
perfect as leaves
falling from the tree
new ones grow
divine

I write the letter explaining the situation to my father, but I don't indicate anywhere in the letter that he is my father (as he would expect, referring to him as "Dearest Lord Blackwater"), seal it with my ring and wax (from the forgery kit), and hand it to Jackie.

"...and you should tell me on the way, no? We're probably running late!"

planswalker
2011-07-07, 01:10 AM
"My lady Catelyn will be waiting at the stables of the Three Geese. She and I will meet up there and head out just as soon as we deliver this shipment." He accepts your letter.

"Best if we head out now, yes." He says as he packs away the last vial.

"Mind carrying them for me like a good new guy's supposed to?"

thamolas
2011-07-07, 09:00 AM
"Maybe when the poison wears off. Ha ha."

After we start walking:

(Using cant to smooth over anything that we wouldn't want strangers to overhear) "Jackie, how did you get into the smuggling biz anyway?"

planswalker
2011-07-07, 02:32 PM
"Good point. How are you still able to carry all your gear?"

actually, yes, double-check your gear versus your current strength to make sure you can even move with all your stuff.

"I was a young man with no connections I cared to admit to who wanted money, and it was the fastest thing I could think of. For delicate and volatile goods, it takes an agile hand who has a good head for numbers. Not a common skill set in the Korps."

read Korps to sound like corps.

thamolas
2011-07-07, 04:03 PM
Oh, the leather armor puts me over. How long does this stuff last, anyway? Contact poison is usually an hour, sometimes two, right?

I set aside my leather armor, crowbar, and blanket, wrapping the heavier items in the blanket and depositing it in a covered, shadowy spot.

"I can imagine some nimble hands being around; but with a gang, I cannot imagine a bunch of guys with solid gray matter congregating together. It's usually not a strength for thief gangs. And it can explain why they'd get hurt feelings about talent like you wanting out. I mean, if it was the guy who scooped the horse ****, they probably wouldn't notice if he was even around."

planswalker
2011-07-07, 04:25 PM
nope, completely wrong. Poisons are actually instantaneous, with a residual effect that takes place one minute later. That effect is also instantaneous. Luckily for you, dragon bile has no secondary effects.

What they do is they damage your ability scores. Such damage is healed at the rate of one per ability score per day.

so it will take you 12 days to recover fully from the poison.

He chuckles, "Yes indeed. Now then, shall we be off?"

thamolas
2011-07-07, 05:43 PM
"Absolutely - the sooner we get you and your gal on the road, the sooner you can start your new life together."

planswalker
2011-07-07, 06:23 PM
The hopefully soon to be ex-smuggler picks up the case of poisons and carries them out of the warehouse. You notice that the case is labeled to contain imported wines.

Several twisting alleyways and dark avenues later, you and he are standing before a man in white robes whose features are completely hidden by the robes.

"You have the goods?" An evil voice hisses from the hood of the robes.

thamolas
2011-07-07, 06:45 PM
I take a few steps back and let them handle the exchange.

By the way, how many bottles of wine would fit in a case that size?

planswalker
2011-07-07, 08:09 PM
about six. vials of acid are much smaller than wine bottles.

"Of course I have the goods. I'll skip the obvious question of whether or not you have the money. You always do." Your companion says.

"Very good. A smart one. It will be a shame to not be doing business with you in the future."

"I'm sure you'll be able to intimidate and bully my replacement at least as well as you did me."

Without further word, the smuggler hands over the case, and the dark stranger hands over a large sack of money.

"I trust they're all there?"

"Well, they stuck me with a new guy tonight. He dropped one."

A cold menace emanates from the hood, seemingly directed right at you. "This once, you are forgiven this slight. Never again will you be allowed to so insult me. Is this understood?"

thamolas
2011-07-07, 08:25 PM
"Yes, thank you."

I half-bow politely.

If you're going to have us go directly to the stables, I have something to offer to do for Jackie on the way. Just a heads up.

planswalker
2011-07-07, 08:50 PM
"Heh, he's a polite one, isn't he?"

With that, the two of you are dismissed. The evil figure begins to walk off.

thamolas
2011-07-07, 08:58 PM
"Jackie, I should go with you to the stables so that I can fit you and Catelyn with disguises - just in case."

planswalker
2011-07-07, 09:09 PM
"Uh-huh. And while you're fiddling with my disguise, who's going to be delivering this exorbitant amount of money to the Korps?"

thamolas
2011-07-07, 09:12 PM
"I can't deliver it until full morning anyway; nobody goes into the docks at night right now. And disguises will almost guarantee your escape. You don't want anybody to spot you on your way out."

planswalker
2011-07-07, 09:27 PM
"You really are a complete babe at this, aren't you? The Mediator isn't in the Docks. He's in North Market."

thamolas
2011-07-07, 09:41 PM
"Huh. They didn't mention it to me. I don't know how they can expect me to do so much without giving me any information... They know I'm not a smuggler. Ah well..."

I listen to the directions and the contact's name. Then I receive the money and the medallion and I give Jackie a handshake.

"Good luck, okay? Obviously, I won't be able to make the wedding, but I want to see you again... Give Lord and Lady Blackwater my regards."

Which goody goody peasant religion has a temple nearby?

planswalker
2011-07-07, 09:52 PM
"You need to listen better. I mentioned the mediator. Next person they use to teach you won't owe you his life." He says as he parts ways with you.

You'll find almost any deity you wish to find in the Temple District. It's the southwest corner of town.

The two of you part ways.

thamolas
2011-07-07, 10:03 PM
That wasn't a slight against the DM :smallwink: That was my character noting (secretly relishing) that the contact at the bar didn't give me much information to work with, which is actually awesome.

I head to the Temple District and look around for a goody goody temple.

planswalker
2011-07-07, 10:14 PM
Well, the first such temple he sees is a temple to Pelor. It's rather hard to miss. It sports an enormous golden sun over the top of the building.

thamolas
2011-07-07, 10:37 PM
"Hmm... a little too much," I think to myself and look for something less forceful.

How about a Goddess of Love and Beauty?

planswalker
2011-07-07, 11:28 PM
Chantea the Giver is often worshiped as a goddess of fertility and life. Her temple has rose vines growing over the entire building.

thamolas
2011-07-07, 11:35 PM
"Now this looks interesting..."

I walk to the entrance and, if its unguarded and open, I enter.

planswalker
2011-07-07, 11:51 PM
At this time of night, the place is unguarded, but the door is shut.

thamolas
2011-07-07, 11:52 PM
I knock as politely as I can.

planswalker
2011-07-08, 12:09 AM
No answer is immediately forthcoming.

thamolas
2011-07-08, 12:13 AM
I knock with a little more firmness.

"Is anyone awake? I'm sorry to disturb you!"

planswalker
2011-07-08, 12:21 AM
A plump woman in flowing green roped edged with red answers. "If you're sorry, why are you doing it?" She asks sleepily.

thamolas
2011-07-08, 12:28 AM
Aw crap. I forgot to remove my disguise. Can we say I did that before knocking? I totally forgot about it. Sorry. :smallfrown:

"My apologies m'lady."

I bow.

"I am a humble traveler come all the way from Blackwater. I humbly ask for a place to sleep for the night? I will tithe graciously and have more to speak of in the morning."

planswalker
2011-07-08, 07:16 AM
"Well, that's not our usual service, but we have a spare room. Come on in, stranger."

thamolas
2011-07-08, 09:50 AM
"The Goddess be praised! And bless you ma'am for your hospitality to a stranger. Is 9 gold pieces enough?"

I pull out the money from my belt pouches and, if she lets me in, I enter.

planswalker
2011-07-08, 03:30 PM
She looks mildly surprised at your generosity, but accept the donation. "Of course, young lad. Come on in and take a rest."

Inside is a rather flowery chapel with various vine flowers growing all over. Cushions and couches take the place of rows of benches.\

"You'll find a private room in the back, take any unoccupied one you want."

thamolas
2011-07-08, 03:53 PM
"You have my thanks. My parents call me Terrian. What my I call you, priestess?"

planswalker
2011-07-08, 04:05 PM
that's a bluff check.

thamolas
2011-07-08, 04:12 PM
I'm confused. A bluff for giving her my real name? Or asking for something to call her?

planswalker
2011-07-08, 04:33 PM
oops. My bad. In the crazy rush of posting right now, i'd confused you with a pc named Alfonso.

"Call me Mushanna. It's what my family does."

thamolas
2011-07-08, 04:44 PM
I understand. It's awesome that you're doing this.

"Again, my thanks, Mushanna. Will I be seeing you in the morning?"

planswalker
2011-07-08, 04:53 PM
"Probably not. I sleep in."

thamolas
2011-07-08, 04:59 PM
"Sweet dreams, m'lady."

I watch her for a moment before making my way to an empty room and conking out.

planswalker
2011-07-08, 05:06 PM
You are conked out.

thamolas
2011-07-08, 05:23 PM
I guess I should pick up from the wake up?

If nobody wakes me up in the morning, I exit the room and seek a priest(ess).

planswalker
2011-07-08, 05:27 PM
You find an old, wrinkled priestess dressed in similar garb as the woman the night before. "Ah, you must be our late-night visitor."

thamolas
2011-07-08, 05:37 PM
"Good morning, priestess."

If she's seated, I sit and if she's standing, I draw closer. Also, I keep my ears and eyes peeled for signs of breakfast and a bath.

"There is much I would like to ask you."

planswalker
2011-07-08, 05:46 PM
She is seated.

"Ask away, if you will."

thamolas
2011-07-08, 05:52 PM
"Thank you..." I pause and take a deep breath. "I would like to stay here, in your spare room, as a pilgrim for a few months. I can pay rent for the room - a tithe, of course - and I would like to sweep the floor and help out as best I can in my free time. Would you allow it?"

planswalker
2011-07-08, 06:02 PM
"Sure. How long do you want to pay for up front?"

thamolas
2011-07-08, 06:06 PM
"Oh, thank you! Would three months be alright?"

planswalker
2011-07-08, 06:10 PM
"Indeed. That will be 450 gold."

thamolas
2011-07-08, 06:13 PM
"450? Shouldn't be a problem. Also, before I came here, I was poisoned and still suffer from it. Could you alleviate my discomfort?"

planswalker
2011-07-08, 06:17 PM
"Sure can. since you're paying for a long stay here, I'll give you half off on the restoration. Only 140 gold."

thamolas
2011-07-08, 06:30 PM
"One last thing: might I have a holy symbol that I can wear and concentrate on in my meditations?"

planswalker
2011-07-08, 06:32 PM
"Of course. To one so devoted as yourself, a silver holy symbol of Chantae's wreath is free of charge."

planswalker
2011-07-08, 06:34 PM
"Of course. To one so devoted as yourself, a silver holy symbol of Chantae's wreath is free of charge."

thamolas
2011-07-08, 06:44 PM
I don the holy symbol, pay her 600 even, "I insist," accept the keys and ask if there is a room where the residents eat (presumably while she casts a spell to rid me of the poison).

planswalker
2011-07-08, 06:47 PM
"We provide three filling and delicious if not fancy meals a day for all residents of the temple in the common hall in the back. Your key will not only unlock your personal door but the door to the back halls as well. May the Nurturing Mother guide you always."

thamolas
2011-07-08, 07:01 PM
"And you, Priestess." I bow. "Time to arrange my room and have breakfast. Thanks again!"

Assuming I'm de-poisoned, I return to my room to divide up what's going with me and what's staying.

How much gold is in the sack? I know I haven't counted it in character, but I want to update my character sheet so that I can denote with asterisks what I'm actually carrying.

After that, I make my way to the common hall to have breakfast.

planswalker
2011-07-08, 07:07 PM
The sack has 15,000 platinum pieces, or equivalent 150,000 gold.

You meet several more priestesses and other followers of Chantae within the plain but comfortable common hall. As promised, simple bud delicious foods of all sorts have been prepared for the residents.

thamolas
2011-07-08, 07:14 PM
I greet them and eat quietly - unless I'm directly addressed.

Are there any obvious adventurer types present?

BTW, my character sheet is updated.

thamolas
2011-07-08, 10:49 PM
If there are no adventurer types and nobody strikes up a conversation, I head for the docks.

planswalker
2011-07-08, 10:58 PM
odd... I didn't get notified when you posted before, and it didn't show up in my cp until you posted again. sorry about that.

As it happens, there's a half-drow who is also supping at the table. You assume from her studded leather armor that she is not a priestess.

thamolas
2011-07-08, 11:06 PM
NP. The forums are a little wonky sometimes - all forums are.

"Are you a priestess?" I ask the half-drow.

Are Dark Elves common in this world? Or are they typically the evil, underground type?

planswalker
2011-07-08, 11:07 PM
evil underground type

"Do I look like a priestess?"

thamolas
2011-07-08, 11:17 PM
"Stereotypically, no. But one never knows; sometimes, not even oneself... Are you an adventurer?"

planswalker
2011-07-08, 11:21 PM
"If I was a motherly nurturing priestess, I'd wear the red and green. Instead you see me dressed in adventuring leathers at the breakfast table. What do you think I am? Make your point and get on with it."

thamolas
2011-07-08, 11:42 PM
"This would appear to be a fortuitous place to meet an adventuring companion, if you are currently unattached to a party obligation. In other words, would you care for a partner, if our styles can be suitably matched?"

planswalker
2011-07-08, 11:54 PM
"Depends. I like my partners honest and clean. You smell like you haven't bathed in at least 2 days."

thamolas
2011-07-09, 12:29 AM
"I had to save the lives of a young couple in love. It was dirtier work than I expected. You know a good baths near here? It's my next stop... Well... stop after next, anyway. I have to tie off a loose end before I wash up. It sounds like we see eye to eye. You wanna meet up this afternoon and make a plan?"

planswalker
2011-07-09, 12:47 AM
"Take a bath by lunch, meet me here then, and we'll talk."

thamolas
2011-07-09, 12:52 AM
"I'll do my best to be back by lunch. See you then."

I stand up, nod, pause, and look at her.

"What's your name?"

Sorry for all the name hit-ups, but I'm just getting my angles going. :smallbiggrin:

After she replies, I head out to the Mistique Unique.

planswalker
2011-07-09, 01:00 AM
that's fine, but be warned: I'm terrible at remembering names. Chances are, you'll have to help me dredge up names from time to time.

"Call me Arya."

thamolas
2011-07-09, 01:04 AM
"And I'm Terrian. See you soon."

I head out.

It's okay - I'm not a name guy, either.

planswalker
2011-07-09, 01:08 AM
and out you head.

I need something more to work with if something's gonna happen. Heading out, what does that mean exactly? I have no clue what your destination is from that post.

thamolas
2011-07-09, 01:12 AM
I got a little ahead of myself a few posts back... sorry.

I start walking to the docks and the Mistique Unique. And I make sure to tuck the holy symbol under my shirt!

planswalker
2011-07-09, 01:28 AM
As you approach the Mistique, you can hear the sound of laughter and song.

When you walk in, everything is deadly quiet and all eyes are upon you.

"So nice of you to join us." the barkeep says icily.

thamolas
2011-07-09, 01:34 AM
I pull out Jackie's family medallion.

"Yep. Mission accomplished, exactly as we agreed. I tailed him until he and his partner were done with the smuggling job and when the partner took off... heh heh heh... well you won't be seeing him (indicating the medallion and Jackie) ever again."

Everything I said is technically true.

planswalker
2011-07-09, 08:40 AM
"Yes, that's great. Now then, why is it the Mediator says that he never received the money?"

thamolas
2011-07-09, 09:36 AM
"That's strange... I didn't track the partner - your specific instructions were to wait until J was done with the job and get rid of him. J handed his accomplice the money and the accomplice left with it. J was ready to run. I got rid of my target. What else am I supposed to know about it? ... And why the fuss? The package they delivered looked like a case - a very small case - of wine. I doubt anyone would run off with wine money. And the money bag was small, too. Why would I come back here if I betrayed you? I'm not suicidal. I just want to do good work and be a part of the family here."

Heh... again, everything I said is technically true.

planswalker
2011-07-09, 10:51 AM
they don't believe you, even though you spoke the truth. diplomacy or bluff check needed here.

thamolas
2011-07-09, 11:52 AM
I only mentioned it in the off chance that someone in the background was using magical or some other special kind of detection

Bluff:
[roll0]

I didn't include any possible synergy bonuses and I hope I get a circumstance bonus from the fact that my character feels confident and natural since he hasn't actually spoken a lie. Heck, I hope that the die rolls high enough that I don't need any special bonuses. :smalltongue: I feel scared every time I roll now, LOL.

planswalker
2011-07-09, 01:03 PM
"Well, your 'good work' has cost us a lot of money... a lot. We also know that you were his only assistant last night. If you didn't keep the money for yourself, why didn't the Mediator receive the money last night?"

thamolas
2011-07-09, 01:15 PM
"Yeah? I seem to remember a guy with a beard and a scar across his cheek meeting up with your smuggler last night. Ask the contact if you don't believe me. Anybody telling you different probably got a cut of that 'lot of money', because I sure didn't. That or they were friendlier with Jackie than you realize and wanted to exact some revenge.... Whatever the percentage you take out of my future freelancing dues should more than make up for whatever the wine box was worth and pretty fast, besides."

Ha ha and, technically, I'm still not saying anything that's technically untrue. LOL

lost roll: [roll0]

thamolas
2011-07-09, 01:54 PM
I changed part of the last post, which including deleting a roll. Sorry about that.

planswalker
2011-07-09, 03:41 PM
you in fact do have a falsehood in there.

you did take a cut. ALL the cut. technically. it's in practice that taking all the cut isn't a cut.

and you can edit in accidentally deleted rolls with [rollN] where N is the roll rolls you made in order. The numbering starts at 0 and numbers the rolls off in order that they appear.

for example: if I roll 6 sets of 4d6b3 and accidentally delete the third roll, the post will show that the database and the post disagree on the number of rolls. To fix this, I can put [roll2] back in the post and it will fix itself.

In this specific case, edit your post to include [roll0] in your post.

thamolas
2011-07-09, 04:26 PM
"Taking cuts" originated as a pie analogy (probably in some sort of cant). When you take a piece, you take a cut. If you take the whole pie, it is no longer a cut - it's the pie. Sorry, my English Major nerdology leaking through there. :smallbiggrin: Don't mean to be annoying with it, its just that I meant it in the analogous sense.

As for the dice thing, awesome. I'll fix it!

planswalker
2011-07-09, 04:38 PM
He seems to get even more cross with you. "You blundering idiot fool! That crate was worth more than your life! You have one week to find it and get us our money back, or we'll take it out of your hide. That was a crate of highly expensive poisons, worth 150,000 gold all together. Just be glad that the client received his goods. He's not a man you wish to cross."

thamolas
2011-07-09, 04:54 PM
"Sure thing, boss. I'll track down whoever I have to and do what I gotta do. Next time, please give me this kind of information up front. I just want to do a good job..."

I take a deep breath and put on an optimistic expression.

"By the way, in the future, when this job is done, what percentage of freelancing money do I owe the Korps and which targets are off-limits?"

planswalker
2011-07-09, 04:56 PM
"You'll authorize all freelancing with us ahead of time. There's a bigger picture at work. And our cut is half the take, before expenses. Is that clear?"

thamolas
2011-07-09, 05:06 PM
"Yes, sir. All clear.... I better get going. I have a lot of work to do."

50% and no real freelancing? These guys must have good morale in their ranks. LOL

I head to the nearest nice-looking baths (doesn't have to be fancy, just nice), preferably one with a barber. I keep an eye out to see if I'm being followed.

thamolas
2011-07-09, 05:47 PM
Also, just out of curiosity, are we allowed to leave the city or is this strictly a city game?

planswalker
2011-07-09, 05:53 PM
you can leave the city, but the whole setting is based around Aldhaven. If you leave it and don't come back, your character essentially retires. That doesn't mean that a side-quest can't take you out of the city for a while.

I need a spot check to notice if you're being followed.

You find such a bathhouse. It's called the Sailor's Rest Bathhouse and Barbershop.

thamolas
2011-07-09, 06:00 PM
Spot:
[roll0]

Ahh, good to know.

I enter, have a bath, and buy a pair of barber's shears.

thamolas
2011-07-09, 06:01 PM
I think the only good rolls I've made were my disguise roll and the first bluff roll. Yowza.

planswalker
2011-07-09, 06:08 PM
The bath is 5 silver. The shears are 3 silver.

You don't notice anyone tailing you.

thamolas
2011-07-09, 06:12 PM
I pay with a pp and tip 2 sp.

Between here and the temple district, is there a theater, acting supply shop, or acting school?

planswalker
2011-07-09, 06:16 PM
you realize that 1 pp = 100 silver, right? did you mean gp?

There is one such theatre. It is called the Moonstone Mask.

thamolas
2011-07-09, 06:24 PM
10sp=1gold in this setting, right? I just wanted to avoid carrying around silver for now. BTW, my MW character sheet is acting a little wonky, updating some things and not updating others when I press "save". I noticed that some lines were updated and others weren't, for some reason.

I walk to the Moonstone Mask.

planswalker
2011-07-09, 06:28 PM
yes, 1 gp is 10 sp.

you however, said you used a pp, which is 100 sp.

It is a rather small theatre in the heart of Old Town. Several masks decorate the wooden double doors that serve as the main entrance.

thamolas
2011-07-09, 06:31 PM
Right, I assumed that they could provide change in gp. Was I wrong?

I look for a performers' entrance on the side or in the rear.

planswalker
2011-07-09, 06:58 PM
no, it's just that the way I read it, I thought you were paying them 1 pp, not 1 gp and needing change back.

in the future, how about we keep things simple and if you need change, just assume they make change and you just say the amount of gold you're actually spending.

You do not find such an entrance. Which is odd, for one does not expect performers to have to walk through the crowds to get backstage.

thamolas
2011-07-09, 07:04 PM
Sure; sorry for the confusion.

"Ah well." I try the front door (and if it is locked, I knock).

planswalker
2011-07-09, 07:06 PM
It is unlocked. Inside is an empty theatre whose seating is in the traditional style. Simple wooden benches serve for the bulk of the seating, but there are some individual padded chairs at the very front. Two aisles break the seating up into roughly thirds. There are two doors at the back of the stage, and the backstage curtain has been drawn back for now. You do not see anyone at present.

thamolas
2011-07-09, 07:10 PM
"Hello? Is anyone here?"

planswalker
2011-07-09, 07:17 PM
A large round woman shuffles out from behind one of the doors, her ams full to bursting with costumes. You can't even see her face for the load she's hauling.

"Hello? I hear the voice of a young man. Handsome by the sound of you."

thamolas
2011-07-09, 07:19 PM
"You have good ears, madam," I reply with a laugh. "Let me help you."

I stride over to her and, if she lets me, I help her with her load.

planswalker
2011-07-09, 07:21 PM
She does. After taking the load of costumes, it's revealed that she is in fact a half-elf with a plump, motherly face that matches her figure. "Such a kind young lad. Now, what can Hannah do for you today?"

thamolas
2011-07-09, 07:31 PM
I say "Scully's watching" and gauge her reaction.

planswalker
2011-07-09, 07:46 PM
"Who's Scully? My dear boy, whatever secret, shadowy, oh-so-powerful gang you've joined, I don't care."

Her body language matches her words.

thamolas
2011-07-09, 07:54 PM
"Thank the gods," I say with a sigh. "I'm sorry. I just had to make sure."

I breathe deeply for emphasis.

"Would you help me with a new look and a costume I've been working on? And are there any productions coming up, in about three months, that I can audition for?"

planswalker
2011-07-09, 08:02 PM
"Well, as it turns out, in two and a half months, we're going to be doing the play "The Rise and Fall of Christolph Rosen", the boy-king who united the city-states to fend off a dragon invasion, only to fall into corruption and wanton debauchery in his adult life. His own daughter killed him when he tried to enslave his concubines. Quite the tragic tale. We'll have need of a lot more cast members than we're used to. If you're willing to play 2 or 3 small parts, we could use you then. Auditions are from tomorrow through the end of the week, and practice starts this coming Monday."

thamolas
2011-07-09, 08:09 PM
"If I survive the auditions, what is the practice schedule?"

planswalker
2011-07-09, 08:46 PM
"You'll live with us, eat with us, and practice with us. All your needs will be provided for, and we pay 1 silver a day as well. Breakfast is at dawn, then we all train our theatrical skills while the staging is being worked on until noon. We stop for lunch, we then practice scenes in the afternoon for four hours. You have the rest of the day to yourself. We here at the Moonstone Mask are truly our own little family. Your past is your own, to share with us or not as you wish. We take care of our own, and the local small gangs know better than to mess with us. I'm personally dating three different leaders, and another two are madly in love with me. None dares harm me while I have their love. Whoever you are, whatever your past, once you're one of us, you are family."

"I have two exceptions to this policy: if you're with the Jacks or the Skulks, I'm afraid that I can't help you. Since you're human, I know your not with the Skulks, but if your password is for the Jacks, I'm afraid that I can't help you escape. They're far more powerful and organized than the rest of them, and I can't protect you from them. Won't even try. That will just get innocent people hurt."

thamolas
2011-07-10, 07:11 AM
"This sounds really great. I hope I can pass the audition. I don't even know about the Jacks, no worries there. Thank you!"

I ask for a hand cutting my hair short and an extra eye on my Arden the Artist cover disguise as I put it on.

I don't have the book in front of me, but my cover disguse gets a crazy bonus, like +8 or +10 along with a bigger bluff bonus.

planswalker
2011-07-10, 12:43 PM
you'll need to look up the exact figures for me eventually, but for now it's a moot point.

"Hope to see you there."

She assists you with your disguise.

thamolas
2011-07-10, 01:41 PM
All my books were on my hard drive and I had a hard drive failure last night. Ha ha. Awesome. :smallsigh: They are probably on one of my externals, but I'm not sure which one. I'll find it, probably tomorrow. Until then, I'll google anything that needs to be looked up.

"Thank you so very much."

I ask if I can use an alternate exit. If she allow me to, I use it. If she doesn't have one or she won't let me use it, I go out the front.

Either way, I go to my lunch appointment.

planswalker
2011-07-10, 01:52 PM
"Sure, sugar. We have a back exit. It's hidden from the outside." She takes you back there and shows you how it works from the outside.

You make it back to the temple to Chantae in time for lunch. The half-drow lass is there, sizes you up with her eyes, and says, "Well, look at this. You actually clean up well. Who'd have though."

thamolas
2011-07-10, 02:06 PM
I updated the short hair on the character sheet. The thick moustache is fake for now, but Terrian will start growing it long to adopt his cover identity as his new main identity, using Arden as his main name and gradually retiring Terrian from local use. I'll think of a new cover identity later. Maybe a half-elf. Ha ha. Spymasters are fun to play.

"Thank you. Good afternoon, Ayla!"

I sit next to her and start in on some food.

"There seems to be a bevy of opportunities in a city like this for a pair of plucky adventurers such as the two of us. Missing cats, artifacts, cults..."

planswalker
2011-07-10, 02:09 PM
"And the university's sponsoring a tower climb. That's of course assuming that we're a pair of adventurers together, and I have to say, I know nothing about you for someone who's talking about partnership."

thamolas
2011-07-10, 02:30 PM
"I would need to work on my climbing technique for a few weeks, if not a few months, before even thinking about a tower climb!"

I laugh and continue.

"Personally or professionally? Personally, I seem to wander around doing good deeds, making some money, and getting into trouble. Not legal trouble, mind you... Eh, maybe that's professionally..."

I laugh a little more.

"Er... I love poetry and I would have been an artist, but I have no artistic talent to speak of. Hm... I can fight a little and I like to think I am pretty well-rounded as adventurers come. Sometimes, I take work too seriously. See? I have a hard time not thinking of work as part of who I am. I believe that with hard work and determination, a person can achieve anything. How about you?"

planswalker
2011-07-10, 02:34 PM
"Well, I'm young, intelligent, athletic, and pretty. I like reading poetry and long walks on the beach. My ideal guy is a large brute who's sweet and caring."

"However, my personal life aside, I'm a sorceress. I can do magic."

thamolas
2011-07-10, 02:41 PM
"Intelligent and likes poetry," I begin totally straight-faced. "Sounds like a good partner to me. And magic too. That's helpful. Don't know where you're going to find the big, lovable brute, but its a big city."

planswalker
2011-07-10, 02:57 PM
"We'll you're hardly my type. However, as a partner is crime, possibly."

thamolas
2011-07-10, 03:18 PM
"I'm not brutish enough, for sure; but the beach is nice... In seriousness, it would appear that our skill sets would make sense together. And if we can muster up a healer - preferably of the brutish variety - we should be golden. Hm... golden... We could check the temple of Pelor, if we plan on tackling anything too tough. Or perhaps the center of the city where adventurers always seem to be hanging around, though we are more likely to find a brute and less likely to find a healer."

planswalker
2011-07-10, 05:38 PM
"Uh, you're currently eating lunch in a temple you might wanna try your hosts before insulting them and going with their rivals."

thamolas
2011-07-10, 06:03 PM
"I didn't realize that the God of the Sun and the Goddess of Mothering were enemies. Of course, if we find a brutish healer here, we'll take her first. I was complimenting them by assuming that their priestesses were more... nurturing. I'm not an expert, so you're right. Absolutely."

planswalker
2011-07-10, 06:31 PM
"Why does the healbot have to be brutish? I like keeping my personal fun and the mission separate. If we want fat healers, Pelly's the way to go. Brutes can be found over at Kord's place."

thamolas
2011-07-10, 06:51 PM
"Though I'm not completely sure I know what a 'bot' is, I agree. I just figured that if we were to get any of the local gangs riled at us, some sort of "Justice" priest would make a perfect companion. 'Look, Joe! Criminals! Get 'em!"

I snicker a bit.

"What sort of job should we go after then? Are you motivated by your own brand of justice, altruism, or cold cash?"

planswalker
2011-07-10, 06:55 PM
"Excitement."

thamolas
2011-07-10, 06:57 PM
"Excitement... Sounds exciting!"

I lean toward her and whisper:

"Legal, questionable, illegal, or 'who cares'?"

planswalker
2011-07-10, 06:59 PM
"Exciting." She repeats with a grin.

thamolas
2011-07-10, 07:20 PM
"I think that narrows it down to a)the evil cult in Old Town, b)poaching a thieves' gang I know about, or c)something sneaky. Which one excites you the most? The first two, we'll definitely need a priest to help us - especially if the cult has an undead connection. The third option is probably better suited to the two of us. What do you think?"

planswalker
2011-07-10, 07:27 PM
"Hm... That cult sounds... fun."

thamolas
2011-07-10, 07:31 PM
"Before we head over there, I have to pick up some gear. Are you equipped for danger?"

planswalker
2011-07-10, 07:33 PM
Before you can blink, a half-dozen daggers are in her hands. "Always."

thamolas
2011-07-10, 07:38 PM
"That's my kind of sorcery!" I laugh in approval. "Would you be averse to digging up a suitable good, undead-fighting cleric while I scrounge up some gear?"

planswalker
2011-07-10, 07:43 PM
"That's fine." She calls out to one of the younger girls in the red and green. "Shae, you up for helping me and Poodle over here take on some evil cultists?"

"Okay."

She looks at you, "Well, I'm done. You have your supplies?"

thamolas
2011-07-10, 07:50 PM
Nice.

"I'll get right on it and meet you back here!"

I wanted to pick up some pretty normal magical stuff like a better ring of prot., a magical dagger or two (normal dmg stuff, no uniques), and maybe some bracers of protection - or gloves of dexterity. Is there a way we could zip through the process a bit or do we have to rp a long shopping trip?

planswalker
2011-07-10, 08:05 PM
you declare what specifically you buy, and as long as you're willing to settle for standard price listed in the sourcebook, it's yours.

"Hurry back, Poodle."

thamolas
2011-07-10, 08:22 PM
Anything I can afford?

planswalker
2011-07-10, 08:37 PM
yes, indeed you can.

thamolas
2011-07-11, 06:19 PM
I buy some stuff.

Belt of Giant Stength +4, 16,000
Boots of Teleportation, 49,000
Dagger of Wounding +2, 18,302
Buckler of Spell Resistance (19), 25,165
Bracers of Armor +4, 25,000
Bag of Holding (250 cu ft, 1,500lbs), 10,000
Hat of Disguse, 1,800
Cloak of Elvenkind, 2,500

Non-magical:
Crowbar, 2
Blanket, 5sp

Total spent: 147,765gp and 5sp

When I finish shopping, I rendezvous with Ayla and Shae at theTemple.

planswalker
2011-07-12, 06:51 AM
When you get there, You see Shae, but Ayla is missing. Shae runs up to you and says, "Uh, Ayla went out to buy something about an hour ago and didn't come back. Nice getup, though."

thamolas
2011-07-12, 09:23 AM
"An hour, huh? Should we wait?"

planswalker
2011-07-12, 09:35 AM
"She said she would be back before you were. I was beginning to get worried when you showed up, and now I definitely am."

thamolas
2011-07-12, 09:52 AM
"Any idea where she might have gone or what she would have wanted to buy?"

thamolas
2011-07-12, 08:10 PM
Interestng twist

planswalker
2011-07-12, 08:14 PM
"She said that she forgot to re-stock on potions."

thamolas
2011-07-12, 08:50 PM
"Then I suppose we should start there. Do you know where she likes to shop?"

If Shae has a lead, we start there. If not, we start at the potion places we know about.

We ask the shopkeepers about Ayla: "Have you seen a half-drow around here in the last hour or so?" My Sense Motive is petty decent (+7)

planswalker
2011-07-12, 08:52 PM
She tells you a location. "Yeah, she came by and bought potions of barkskin. Goodly number too. She went that way." He points back the way you came.

thamolas
2011-07-12, 08:58 PM
"Did she talk with you about anything in particular or did anybody follow her out of here?"

planswalker
2011-07-12, 09:00 PM
"Well, I think there was this dwarf who went the same way she did, bought a bottle of wine in the stall next to me, and went back the same direction she did."

thamolas
2011-07-12, 09:30 PM
I ask for the description of the dwarf and thank the shopkeeper for his help, handing him a gp for his trouble.

planswalker
2011-07-12, 09:31 PM
He describes a stereotypical dwarf in a gray cloak. He had red hair.

thamolas
2011-07-12, 09:36 PM
"Thank you, sir."

I go outside and speak with Shae

"If there had been real violence, we would have noticed something on our way here. Maybe she got arrested."

I look around for a member of the city watch.

planswalker
2011-07-12, 09:50 PM
As you are looking, a city watchman come patrolling down the street.

thamolas
2011-07-13, 12:35 AM
"Pardon me, sir. Do you know if there has been an incident involving a half-drow woman in this area in the last hour or so?"

planswalker
2011-07-13, 07:15 AM
"Not unless you count buying potions. My patrol last hour took me by here just as she was leaving."

thamolas
2011-07-13, 09:21 AM
To Shae:

"I can't think of anyone who might be after her. Perhaps we should re-trace her steps."

To the guard:

"I'm sorry to trouble you, but could you point out some of her exact route from here as you saw it?"

planswalker
2011-07-13, 12:08 PM
"Yeah, she went walking down this street right here that you're on and turned off into a side alley a ways back."

thamolas
2011-07-13, 12:51 PM
"Thank you."

We walk toward the alley the guard indicated and take a look, but do not enter. I keep an eye on Shae to see if she has a hidden motive (like laying a trap).

planswalker
2011-07-13, 01:01 PM
The alley ends in a dead end, and you see no exits from it.

thamolas
2011-07-13, 01:06 PM
Is it littered or empty? How long is it? Do I spot any clues? Do I get any vibes from Shae?

planswalker
2011-07-13, 01:13 PM
Shae is confused. The alleyway is littered with rubbish.

thamolas
2011-07-13, 01:25 PM
"Let's check it out."

First, we check out the rubbish piles.

planswalker
2011-07-13, 01:27 PM
They do not seem to hold any special clues. Just rubbish.

planswalker
2011-07-13, 01:28 PM
They do not seem to hold any special clues. Just rubbish.

thamolas
2011-07-13, 01:34 PM
We search the walls for hidden doors.

Search:
[roll0]

thamolas
2011-07-13, 01:35 PM
And if that fails, the ground:

[roll0]

planswalker
2011-07-13, 01:44 PM
You failed but might want to take 20.

thamolas
2011-07-13, 01:45 PM
Take 20

Forgot about that lol.

planswalker
2011-07-13, 01:51 PM
You find a hidden door at the far end of the alley.

thamolas
2011-07-13, 02:00 PM
I examine the ground around the door to try to get an estimate of how many pairs of feet entered most recently.

"You know, it might get real hot real quick if we go this way. I mean, this door was put here by somebody."

planswalker
2011-07-13, 02:01 PM
You can't tell. Someone's been covering their tracks.

thamolas
2011-07-13, 02:07 PM
I check it for traps.

planswalker
2011-07-13, 02:17 PM
You find none.

thamolas
2011-07-13, 02:21 PM
We go on in.

planswalker
2011-07-13, 02:29 PM
It opens into d dark tunnel. Ten feet in, a pair of burly thugs step out from the shadows and hold knives pointed your direction. A halfling steps out of the shadows ahead and says, "Hello, chump. My name is Jake. Now, you've taken something from me, and I want it back."

thamolas
2011-07-13, 02:42 PM
"You've got the wrong guy. Where's the girl?"

Does Shae look upset at them or...?

planswalker
2011-07-13, 02:44 PM
Shae looks completely shocked at this and is looking at you suspiciously.

"No, I'm pretty sure that it's you who just spent 150,000 gold. The gold I should have gotten for the shipment of poisons."

thamolas
2011-07-13, 02:52 PM
"Now I know you've got the wrong guy."

How wide is this tunnel?

thamolas
2011-07-13, 02:56 PM
Bluff:
[roll0]

planswalker
2011-07-13, 02:56 PM
5ft. you'll have to post your bluff in a new post.

planswalker
2011-07-13, 02:59 PM
"And now I know you're lying."

chances are, if the reward isn't WBL, neither is the challenges.