PDA

View Full Version : What to Hurl? or Help with a Telekenesis Effect

dextercorvia
2011-07-02, 10:26 PM
So, I have been toying around with the idea of Arcane Thesis + Reach Spell + Chain Spell + some +0 metamagics on Lauch Item. Now I'm having difficulty deciding what to launch. I thought of Shurikens, but even priced as ammo, Level +2 of them a round is going to get expensive. Alchemical items are mentioned in the spells description, and it would be nice for the touch attacks, but I'm not familiar with Alchemical items outside of the SRD -- just never messed with them. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The-Mage-King
2011-07-03, 01:51 AM
Magic Weapon'd Shruiken. Cheap, pretty, reliable. Any form of the spell, too.

Otherwise? Eggshell Grenades: Dust (Oriental Adventures) and Aboleth Mucus (Savage Species).

opticalshadow
2011-07-03, 02:16 AM
a cheap solution could be just regular rocks coated in oil of impact.

RPGuru1331
2011-07-03, 02:22 AM
I'm not familiar with the precise effect you're using, but is "Mooks" an option?

opticalshadow
2011-07-03, 02:25 AM
for fun you could get a bag of holding and fill it with undead insects or rats and toss them at people, works with living too...jsut not as long.

ffone
2011-07-03, 02:36 AM
What about melee or thrown weapons? IIRC they aren't destroyed on impact, so it's more expensive upfront than shuriken, but they are reusable. With greatswords you'll have (2*CL)d6 damage.

OTOH weight and size issues might prevent having that many greatswords on hand (and not in an extradimensional container) at once. A nice advantage of shuriken.

Zaq
2011-07-03, 03:37 AM
If you have downtime and access to Assassin/Wu Jen spells, Fire Shuriken are permanent until chucked, and a 2nd level spell slot gets you 1 per 3 CL. Perhaps they can't be your sole weapon, but if you have a few days to stockpile them . . .

WinWin
2011-07-03, 08:58 AM
poison. contact or inhaled.

Complete Adventurer has alchemical capsules that can be filled with all kinds of material.

Eberron has bloodspikes that devilver mainly beneficial substances, but can probably be adapted for other use, such as injury poisons (or even just coated with poison).

You could always cast shrink item on a colossal acid flask in a pinch.

Dragonsoul
2011-07-03, 09:12 AM
The contents of a bag of Tricks, the animals inside can make attacks too, just imagine throwing the ball of fluff at someone- it turns into a tiger that then makes a full attack, reusable too.

EDIT: can only be done ten times a week, but still.......

Cieyrin
2011-07-03, 09:45 AM
Do what all the cool telekinesers use and throw Orcish Shotputs. Reusable and the hilarity of throwing grapefruit sized hunks of iron at your enemies is worthwhile.

Jack_Simth
2011-07-03, 09:49 AM
So, I have been toying around with the idea of Arcane Thesis + Reach Spell + Chain Spell + some +0 metamagics on Lauch Item. Now I'm having difficulty deciding what to launch. I thought of Shurikens, but even priced as ammo, Level +2 of them a round is going to get expensive. Alchemical items are mentioned in the spells description, and it would be nice for the touch attacks, but I'm not familiar with Alchemical items outside of the SRD -- just never messed with them. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Really, really big arrows. Violent Thrust telekenisis says they do damaged equal to a dagger of their size - that'd be 1d4 for Medium arrows. But it gets better... get Colossol arrows, and they're 3d6 each, as that's what daggers of that size deal. Four doublings for size increases bring you to 16 gp for a set of 20 Colossal arrows: Less than masterwork ammo costs. Sufficient?

Alleran
2011-07-03, 11:31 AM
Throw the party kender. It's all they're good for.

Randomguy
2011-07-03, 12:03 PM
Just get a ring of telekinesis. I'm not sure how you can increase caster level for a ring (other than crafting it yourself), but even at CL 9 you can throw 9 weapons weighing up to 25 pounds each. Assuming that weapon weight double each size up like it does from small to medium to large, the best I can think of is a huge longsword or a large greatspear, which would both do 3d6 damage. The hard part is figuring out how to store them: You'd probably need to lug around a barrel full of them.

Another neat trick is to cast shrink item on a colossal boulder with a command word. Change it to a clothlike composition and launch the cloth at someone, saying the command word while it's in mid-flight.

Also, if you have a method of flight, you can just drop the thing on your enemies without casting the spell. (And that would be a free action, too.)

Jack_Simth
2011-07-03, 12:07 PM
The hard part is figuring out how to store them: You'd probably need to lug around a barrel full of them.Floating Disk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/floatingDisk.htm) - 1st level spell, hours/level, weight limit is four times your limit for TK. Load it to capacity for use in battle. Keep a bunch of your weapon-of-choice in a Portable Hole (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#portableHole) the rest of the time, to refill the floating disk between fights.

dextercorvia
2011-07-03, 12:32 PM
Really, really big arrows. Violent Thrust telekenisis says they do damaged equal to a dagger of their size - that'd be 1d4 for Medium arrows. But it gets better... get Colossol arrows, and they're 3d6 each, as that's what daggers of that size deal. Four doublings for size increases bring you to 16 gp for a set of 20 Colossal arrows: Less than masterwork ammo costs. Sufficient?

How much do Colossal arrows weigh? Launch Item needs the object to be Fine sized and weigh no more than 10 lbs.

I'll dig through the other suggestions later.

Any suggestions for useful +0 metamagics for this. Sure, I could stick with invisible and sanctum, but it's possible something exists that would synergize.

Zaq
2011-07-03, 12:43 PM
How much do Colossal arrows weigh? Launch Item needs the object to be Fine sized and weigh no more than 10 lbs.

Any suggestions for useful +0 metamagics for this. Sure, I could stick with invisible and sanctum, but it's possible something exists that would synergize.

Other than Energy Sub, what other +0s are there? I can't think of any offhand. Doesn't mean they don't exist, of course, but that's why I'm asking. I know Mr. Burlew put up a few homebrew ones somewhere around here (and once the doors of homebrew are open, I'm sure there's enough to make six Incantatrices happy), but I can't think of any others from published books.

Jack_Simth
2011-07-03, 12:45 PM

Ah, sorry - missed that you're using Launch Item, rather than the spell Telekinesis. However, the books don't directly say. The closest it comes is the line:

Weight

This column gives the weight of a Medium version of the weapon. Halve this number for Small weapons and double it for Large weapons.
For Arrows, a set of 20 medium arrows weigh 3 pounds. Four doublings make a set of 20 arrows weigh 48 pounds (2.4 pounds each). They probably wouldn't be the right size for you, though.

Daggers, Darts, and Sling Stones would probably do you quite well.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-07-03, 01:10 PM
If you have downtime and access to Assassin/Wu Jen spells, Fire Shuriken are permanent until chucked, and a 2nd level spell slot gets you 1 per 3 CL. Perhaps they can't be your sole weapon, but if you have a few days to stockpile them . . .

Add some metamagic to it

dextercorvia
2011-07-05, 09:46 AM
Other than Energy Sub, what other +0s are there? I can't think of any offhand. Doesn't mean they don't exist, of course, but that's why I'm asking. I know Mr. Burlew put up a few homebrew ones somewhere around here (and once the doors of homebrew are open, I'm sure there's enough to make six Incantatrices happy), but I can't think of any others from published books.

Sanctum, Invisible, Cooperative, Born of the Three Tunders, Black Lore of Moil, and technically all of the Suddens, are the ones I know of. BotTT and BLoM have some downsides and restrictions. Energy Sub is too restrictive for this case. I just wasn't sure if I was missing any.

Edit: I looked up Aboleth Mucus, and Wow. 20 gp for a DC19 Save or Die.

The-Mage-King
2011-07-05, 11:14 AM
Edit: I looked up Aboleth Mucus, and Wow. 20 gp for a DC19 Save or Die.

Beautiful, ain't it?

dextercorvia
2011-07-05, 11:16 AM
I couldn't find Oil of Impact anywhere. Does anyone know the source?

Cieyrin
2011-07-05, 11:39 AM
I couldn't find Oil of Impact anywhere. Does anyone know the source?

Oil of Impact these days is just a potion that has Weapon of Impact in it, which should be in the SpC.

dextercorvia
2011-07-05, 01:16 PM
Oil of Impact these days is just a potion that has Weapon of Impact in it, which should be in the SpC.

Thanks. In that case, I won't even have to mess with the Oil, I can just use the spell.

Isn't there a type of arrow or bolt somewhere that counts as bludgeoning?

Ravens_cry
2011-07-05, 01:31 PM
Throw the party kender. It's all they're good for.
I am pretty sure that breaks the Geneva Convention somewhere.
No one, not even ones enemies, should be exposed to Kender.

Cieyrin
2011-07-05, 02:08 PM
Thanks. In that case, I won't even have to mess with the Oil, I can just use the spell.

Blunt Arrows, Races of the Wild. They do subdual, though.

Qwertystop
2011-07-05, 02:48 PM

Just throw rocks.