PDA

View Full Version : Netrunning in d20

Milo v3
2011-07-03, 06:18 AM
Me and a friend are making a sci-fi system and one of the classes features enables the user to "enter the net". But how would this work mechanically.
We want to make "Users" use programs to hack into computer systems dodging anti-virus software by using there own programs.

But we have no idea how to implement it. The games rules are heavily based off d20 modern & 3.5e.

Cieyrin
2011-07-03, 09:16 AM
Me and a friend are making a sci-fi system and one of the classes features enables the user to "enter the net". But how would this work mechanically.
We want to make "Users" use programs to hack into computer systems dodging anti-virus software by using there own programs.

But we have no idea how to implement it. The games rules are heavily based off d20 modern & 3.5e.

Shadowrun has a pretty good system for doing just that, though they're d6 based, so you could use 'em for inspiration of how to go about doing it. I vaguely remember one of the old Dungeon magazines having a Netrunner type minigame where everyone was a computer program and did what you're describing as well, though I have no idea which issue it was in.

Kuma Kode
2011-07-04, 12:47 PM
Have you check out the Virtual Reality rules in the d20 Future Tech supplement for d20 Modern? That might be a good place to start.

Ghost49X
2011-07-04, 03:20 PM
actually d20 already has thought up a system for this, it's explained in d20 cyberscape, it's simple and easy to learn and yes uses programs for attacking defending and all that, I think there's still a few copies in stores or you could get a pdf version

Ravens_cry
2011-07-04, 03:33 PM
One problem I have heard with netrunning, even in Shadowrun, is it basically amounts to splitting the party and all the problems that entails. Also, because of the runners state, the other players pretty much have to babysit the characters body, so they can't merely go off on adventures of their own. If done on a regular basis, this can come off as hogging the spotlight.

Kuma Kode
2011-07-04, 04:25 PM
actually d20 already has thought up a system for this, it's explained in d20 cyberscape, it's simple and easy to learn and yes uses programs for attacking defending and all that, I think there's still a few copies in stores or you could get a pdf version

Ignore what I said, he has the right book name.