PDA

View Full Version : Bigger Fists for a Monk with Powerful Build

noparlpf
2011-07-03, 11:07 AM
I think I figured out how to get larger fists for, say, the Goliath unarmed fighter or monk.
MIC: Sizing melee weapon property (+5000gp)
SS: Necklace of Natural Weapons (600gp+enhancement costs, multiplied by number of weapons)

With this, he could make his fists become Large, and since he has Powerful Build, he doesn't get a -2 for the weapons being the wrong size. (It does make sense for natural weapons of the wrong size to also get -2 per size category different from the creature, right? Otherwise a Feral Gargun with this necklace could just have claws ten meters long that do 12d6 per hit with no penalty on his attack rolls, while a fighter with a sword ten meters long could do 12d6 per hit with a massive penalty on his attack rolls.)

magic9mushroom
2011-07-03, 11:09 AM
"Your fists are too big. You are not proficient with them."

LOL...

Curmudgeon
2011-07-03, 12:02 PM
A Monk's fists are only a tiny fraction of their unarmed strike, which can use all parts of the body. So sizing via a Necklace of Natural Weapons will make all parts of the Monk larger ─ but still not increase their space or reach. :smallbiggrin:

magic9mushroom's got a point (indirectly). Monks aren't proficient with unarmed strikes, of any size. Changing that is probably the most common house rule used in D&D. So make sure you've got that house rule covered with your DM, and I think this scheme will work for you.

Necroticplague
2011-07-03, 02:06 PM
A Monk's fists are only a tiny fraction of their unarmed strike, which can use all parts of the body. So sizing via a Necklace of Natural Weapons will make all parts of the Monk larger ─ but still not increase their space or reach. :smallbiggrin:

So that's how the battletoads do it!

Zaq
2011-07-03, 02:35 PM
magic9mushroom's got a point (indirectly). Monks aren't proficient with unarmed strikes, of any size. Changing that is probably the most common house rule used in D&D. So make sure you've got that house rule covered with your DM, and I think this scheme will work for you.

Goliaths are monstrous humanoids, so they're proficient with all simple weapons. No houserules needed, at least not in this particular case.

Curmudgeon
2011-07-03, 04:11 PM
Goliaths are monstrous humanoids, so they're proficient with all simple weapons. No houserules needed, at least not in this particular case.
Yeah, I know that. But you can also acquire Powerful Build via the Stonebone template (Dragon# 350, page 36), which doesn't change your type. Starting with a humanoid base race you're still going to need that house rule.

noparlpf
2011-07-03, 06:17 PM
Well, since UaS isn't technically a weapon, do size proficiency rules apply? I guess that's my main question.
EDIT: Never mind, I just reread the weapons section of the PHB and Unarmed Strike is considered a simple weapon. I forgot that. So I'm pretty sure that any medium creature with large fists trying to make and unarmed strike would get a -2 on their attack roll, assuming the Necklace of Natural Weapons can apply to unarmed strikes in the first place.

Thanks for the Stonebone template, I hadn't seen that before. Though a +2 LA with drawbacks like that for only powerful build and a str/con boost might not always be worth it to me. It does at least help get powerful build for other races.