PDA

View Full Version : Fun with Polymorph any object

Dragonsoul
2011-07-03, 11:32 AM
It only costs 1,200gp to have it cast once-Affordable very easily and at the very least can net you a small bit of + to stat

I was looking up the spell in question for a build recently and had a thought, how many steps does it take to PaO into a dragon?
The spell From the srd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm)

If you use it in this way, it may cost 1,200gp and a thump from the GM........

Redshirt Army
2011-07-03, 11:47 AM
Might as well mention that 2 identical castings of PaO will interact with each other in such a way that the final result is always permanent. From there, you can just pick the meanest thing your hired caster can replicate (including dragons), and go to town.

I.E. 2,400 gp gets you permanent dragonshape.

Jack_Simth
2011-07-03, 12:02 PM
Might as well mention that 2 identical castings of PaO will interact with each other in such a way that the final result is always permanent. From there, you can just pick the meanest thing your hired caster can replicate (including dragons), and go to town.

I.E. 2,400 gp gets you permanent dragonshape.The included sentence "The duration of the spell depends on how radical a change is made from the original state to its enchanted state" potentially stops such, depending on whether you read "original state" in an absolute sense, or relative to this particular casting of Polymorph Any Object.

So if only one casting will do, you need a DF of 9 or higher. That's... Kingdom, Size, and Same-or-lower Int. So a Medium critter with an Int of 14 or higher and 8 or more hit dice could be Permanently turned into a Wyrmling Gold dragon with no shenanigans (other than the use of the spell itself, of course). If you're a Dragonborn, Spellscale, or similar race, you could claim the "related" clause, and skip either Size or Int.