PDA

View Full Version : To belt or not to belt?

Kaeso
2011-07-03, 03:11 PM
Hey there playground,

I'm currently doing an application for a PbP game, as some of you may remember from my previous thread, and I'm applying with a cloistered cleric that will focus on mostly battlefield controll, support and all the other roles that are usually reserved for a wizard (plus healing). The campaign starts at level 6 and I've already selected my feats, domains, PrC etc. I'm still not sure on what spells to use but I presume I'll figure that out as I go (though recommendations are welcome (preferably through PM, as not to derail this thread)), so all that remains is the equipment.

Each player starts with 16,000 available to spend, and 2,000 of my gold will go to a handy haversack without question. That leaves 14,000 gp to spend on other matters. I have my eye on a monks belt as a defensive item, but I'm not sure wether I should this route or buy a mythral breastplate instead.

Pro:
-It gives as much AC as a non-magical mythral breastplate (+4 from wis, +1 AC bonus) and it scales with any boosts to wis (primary casting stat).
-It gives my fragile Cloistered Cleric a natural weapon that can be upgraded with (greater) magic fang (which he receives through the Dragon domain)
-It's merely a belt, so there's no check penalty whatsoever.
-It's lighter than armor, which is a boon if you only have 9 str.
-Synergizes with bracers of armor, which might end up giving more AC than an upgraded mythral breastplate.
-It's more fitting of a scholar to wear it than to wear a bulky suit of armor (though this is merely a fluff thing)
Con:
-It's a lot more expensive than a Mythral breastplate. It comes at the price of 13,000 gp, which is nearly all of my starting funds.
-It can't be upgraded with certain traits like a suit of armor (such as called, acid resistant etc.)

So what would the playground recommend me? Go for the fancy monk's belt, or just buy a mythral breastplate and save my money for other useful items?

PollyOliver
2011-07-03, 03:17 PM
First of all, check with your DM. Generally, you're not allowed to spend more than 1/3 (some people play 1/2) of your starting funds on any single item, which might make this a moot point.

If you can buy it--I probably wouldn't. Maybe later, when you have more cash to spare. But if you have a handy haversack and a monk's belt, you've only got 1k gp left with which to buy...everything you need at level six. You can't afford a cloak of resistance or a pearl of power if you want to buy yourself a single scroll for utility or some pants, (or, you know your holy symbol), you can't afford most of the basic utility gear, etc. It might in fact be more efficient to get a +STR belt/gauntlets if you're worried about your carrying capacity. You can wear medium armor, after all--you might as well.

Marnath
2011-07-03, 03:29 PM
First of all, check with your DM. Generally, you're not allowed to spend more than 1/3 (some people play 1/2) of your starting funds on any single item, which might make this a moot point.

If you can buy it--I probably wouldn't. Maybe later, when you have more cash to spare. But if you have a handy haversack and a monk's belt, you've only got 1k gp left with which to buy...everything you need at level six. You can't afford a cloak of resistance or a pearl of power if you want to buy yourself a single scroll for utility or some pants, (or, you know your holy symbol), you can't afford most of the basic utility gear, etc. It might in fact be more efficient to get a +STR belt/gauntlets if you're worried about your carrying capacity. You can wear medium armor, after all--you might as well.

He can wear light armor. But yeah, I'd reccomend waiting a while to buy the monks belt. Grab everything else you need, and then whtever you have left will determine whether you grab that mithril breastplate or something cheaper to last you a few levels when you can buy your monk's belt, like maybe a chain shirt or a decent studded leather instead? That's what I'd do.

PollyOliver
2011-07-03, 03:32 PM
He can wear light armor. But yeah, I'd reccomend waiting a while to buy the monks belt. Grab everything else you need, and then whtever you have left will determine whether you grab that mithril breastplate or something cheaper to last you a few levels when you can buy your monk's belt, like maybe a chain shirt or a decent studded leather instead? That's what I'd do.

Ah, cloistered. You're right. But still, a mithral breastplate will leave you way more able to make your character adaptable than spending almost every cent of your wbl on two items.

Marnath
2011-07-03, 03:37 PM
Ah, cloistered. You're right. But still, a mithral breastplate will leave you way more able to make your character adaptable than spending almost every cent of your wbl on two items.

+1 mithril shirt would be a lot better buy, it's half the cost.