PDA

View Full Version : Cyber RPGs

Thrawn4
2011-07-03, 05:04 PM
Hello fellow Playgrounders.

I hope this topic wasn't handled in another thread, but the search engine didn't reveal something about the topic.

Is there an RPG that takes place in the near future and deals with cyberware and augmentations mainly? I'm thinking more of something like "Syndicate" or "Deus Ex" rather than "Shadowrun".

Shpadoinkle
2011-07-03, 05:10 PM
Might be helpful if we knew what your problem with those systems is.

Thrawn4
2011-07-03, 05:15 PM
Well Shadowrun doesn't really suit me as the gameworld isn't really my cup of tea. I am looking for more blade runner, less magic.

Shpadoinkle
2011-07-03, 05:26 PM
Step 1: Change fluff
Step 2: Ignore all the parts of the rules that deal with magic
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit!

The Glyphstone
2011-07-03, 05:29 PM
Cyberpunk 2020? It's a bit dated now, but might be what you're after.

bebosteveo
2011-07-03, 05:40 PM
I hear GURPS Cyberpunk does the genre justice as it takes inspiration from Neuromancer and similar works. Most of its supplements are fluff heavy and are still useful for non-GURPS campaigns, so I don't see why this one would be different.

Just watch out for spontaneous, anti-cyberterror raids by the secret service or other government agencies.

TheAbstruseOne
2011-07-03, 11:13 PM
I'd recommend against just ripping the magic out of Shadowrun because magic acts as a balancer against cyberware and vice versa (trust me, I've considered it before).

As far as what system is best to use, it really depends on what you're wanting. Cyberpunk 2020 would probably work best for flavor, but the system's insanely unbalanced IMO. I can't speak for the GURPS version because I haven't looked at it very much, but the original was basically one person plays a Netrunner because the plot probably requires one and everyone else plays a solo so they can actually do something in combat. Eclipse Phase is a really interesting concept, but it's more postcyberpunk or transhumanist than actual cyberpunk.

Any generic system will probably have a cyberpunk module (Tri-stat, D20 Modern, GURPS (I believe you can get cyber without Cyberpunk 2020), True20, FATE), you can easily reskin a lot of bonuses to be cyberware rather than magic for your game world. "It's not a +2 Helm of Intelligence, it's a Cerebral Booster CPU implant."

LibraryOgre
2011-07-04, 12:16 AM
Eclipse Phase might have some of what you're looking for, though it's set after an apocalypse forces humanity to abandon Earth for the rest of the solar system (and beyond).

You might also look at d6 Space, which is available for free as a PDF.

TheAbstruseOne
2011-07-04, 12:32 AM
Eclipse Phase might have some of what you're looking for, though it's set after an apocalypse forces humanity to abandon Earth for the rest of the solar system (and beyond).

You might also look at d6 Space, which is available for free as a PDF.

Eclipse Phase is also released under a Creative Commons license and you can get a PDF free of the Quick Star and Core rules for free from their website. Again, might not be quite what you're looking for, but it's worth checking out.

LibraryOgre
2011-07-04, 09:25 AM
Eclipse Phase is also released under a Creative Commons license and you can get a PDF free of the Quick Star and Core rules for free from their website. Again, might not be quite what you're looking for, but it's worth checking out.

True. I always forget that about Eclipse Phase. d6 Space was released because WEG folded, and they decided not to take their games with them. Eclipse Phase was released creative commons because they're idealistic.

Ghost49X
2011-07-04, 03:24 PM
cyberscape (d20's cyber module) is balance, simple and easy to use in my experience, all good things so far... that is if you like the d20 system

Thrawn4
2011-07-05, 08:59 AM
Step 1: Change fluff
Step 2: Ignore all the parts of the rules that deal with magic
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit!
I like your reference, but I don't want to buy a system and ignore 80% of it (including all fantasy elements). And if I wanted to create a system, I would do so (actually, I'm considering this, but RL messes with my plans).

Cyberpunk 2020 sounds great, actually. Is there any word on how the fluff and the crunch is?
And how the novels are?

I keep hearing rumors around Neuromancer. Is it worthwhile?

Fhaolan
2011-07-05, 09:24 AM
Cyberpunk 20xx (There are different editions with different dates on them) is good providing you are willing to deal with the old RPG style. That style being that modern 'balance' isn't really considered. There is stuff in there that is seriously unbalanced, but at the time nobody cared because it was fun.

Personally, I like the older editions of the Cyberpunk game *because* it was wonky and weird, much like Star Frontiers and Villains and Vigilantes. It had a distinct personality.

druid91
2011-07-05, 02:11 PM
Well there is a ghost in the shell d20 somewhere.

Pretty nice, particular the hacking system. Nothing says overpowered like hacking into an orbital weapons platform and being able to fire at will. With Noone knowing it's that guy sitting on a park bench.

Of course it's very difficult to actually manage this and failure is not kind.

Thrawn4
2011-07-06, 03:39 AM
cyberscape (d20's cyber module) is balance, simple and easy to use in my experience, all good things so far... that is if you like the d20 system

Might be interesting. How is the fluff?