PDA

View Full Version : A little help with alignments

Milos The Sly
2011-07-03, 05:22 PM
So, guys, I had a little chat with some of my friends, and we got to the topic of which alignments we would fall into. To clarify, I know that alignments are a really flawed and simplistic method of clarification, and that real-life people are too complex to be classifed by that system, but this is just for fun.

I was thinking of posting a shortish version of my personal moral code, so you guys could give me a tip on which alignment it is closest to and, if possible, to which D&D god's (any setting) tenets is it closest to. I'd really appreciate any kinds of help. Thanks in advance!

1) Be honest. Not telling the truth means taking away the person's right to knowledge, and can seriously mislead them. Criticize people, but don't be rude.

2) Be polite. There is no need for being rude without a reason. However, if the other person is rude to you, bite back even harder.

3) Fulfill your obligations. Oaths, promises and duty are not something to be taken lightly, since people except you to fulfill them and plan their actions accordingly. Be careful before binding yourself. If you don't think you can do it, don't make a promise.

4) Be loyal. Blindly trusting people close to you is a weakness, but a very common one. If you are really close to someone, they expect you to be the last person that could bite them in the ass, and doing so will break them. Don't do it.

5) Respect justice. Everyone has to get what he deserves, preferably through egal means. If that's not possible, through illegal ones. Don't shy away from vengeance.

6) Don't make hasty decisions. Don't let emotions guide your actions, and always look at the problem objectively and from all possible angles before acting. Think of all the possible consequences of your actions, and act in the way that will be the most beneficial in the long run.

7) Don't judge others before gaining all possible information. Avoid prejudices.

8) Laws, rules and regulations are there for a reason. Respect them, and don't be a rebel wihout a cause. If following them would be really inconvenient, break them, but don't blame it on others if you get caught.

9) Some fights have rules. Most don't - don't invent them. A "fair" fight is a sign of bad tactics.

10) Authority figures are to be respected only while they fulfill their duties properly. They are only instruments serving to the cause of the whole hierarchy. If they are unsuccessful or fail their duties, there is absolutely no reason to follow them.

11) Help others when possible. When determining whether to sacrifice for someone else or not, judge it according to the priorities and the level of sacrifice for each one of you. If the parameters are equal, go by this rule: You>People close to you>Others.

12) It is foolish to sacrifice for an ideal, with no concrete benefit to be had.

13) Don't take life without a reason. If a person is trying to kill or seriously hurt you, or presents a considerable danger in general, it's alright to kill them. Innocent life shouldn't be taken, but if not killing a small amount of innocent people means death for a larger number, and there is no other option, kill them.

factotum
2011-07-04, 01:19 AM
It's very obviously Lawful in outlook. The Good/Evil axis is a bit trickier--I'd say Neutral there, though, mainly due to 11 (the bit about yourself being more important than others).

Solaris
2011-07-04, 01:28 AM
I'd say LN is the closest fit.

NikitaDarkstar
2011-07-04, 02:48 AM
Lawful Neutral clearly. Can't really help with the deity though, I'm not that familiar with them, but most likely one focused on justice and/or law.

hamishspence
2011-07-04, 04:00 AM
These two

5) Everyone has to get what he deserves, preferably through legal means. If that's not possible, through illegal ones. Don't shy away from vengeance.

13) Innocent life shouldn't be taken, but if not killing a small amount of innocent people means death for a larger number, and there is no other option, kill them.

could possibly, taken to an extreme, involve acts classed as Evil acts in the D&D system.

Aside from that though- it seems LN, but with a few Good, Evil-ish, and Chaotic suggestions.

Chaotic-ish:

5) Everyone has to get what he deserves, preferably through legal means. If that's not possible, through illegal ones.

7) Don't judge others before gaining all possible information. Avoid prejudices.

8) Laws, rules and regulations are there for a reason. ... If following them would be really inconvenient, break them, but don't blame it on others if you get caught.

9) Some fights have rules. Most don't - don't invent them. A "fair" fight is a sign of bad tactics.

10) Authority figures are to be respected only while they fulfill their duties properly. They are only instruments serving to the cause of the whole hierarchy. If they are unsuccessful or fail their duties, there is absolutely no reason to follow them.

Good-ish:

6) Think of all the possible consequences of your actions, and act in the way that will be the most beneficial in the long run.

11) Help others when possible.

Milos The Sly
2011-07-04, 09:07 AM
So, Lawful Neutral it is. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

hamishspence
2011-07-04, 09:15 AM
I would have put it as True Neutral with Lawful Good tendencies-

but the "closer to neutral than Good" + "closer to Lawful than Chaotic" feel I get from them,

do combine to make LN perfectly reasonable as well.

Chess435
2011-07-04, 12:26 PM
How about the rest of you guys? I personally see myself as NG, tending towards CG.

Yora
2011-07-04, 12:31 PM
I would also say it's a very solid LN. Some things lean a bit to good, others a bit to evil, but as there is no strong leaning to either, it's neutral.

Knaight
2011-07-04, 12:35 PM
Lawful Neutral clearly. Can't really help with the deity though, I'm not that familiar with them, but most likely one focused on justice and/or law.

I'm thinking Saint Cuthbert.

Lord Raziere
2011-07-04, 12:50 PM
My moral code:

1. There is no such thing as perfection, do not seek it

2. All things in moderation. however there is no such thing as perfect moderation, balance is imperfect too.

3. Do not assume

4. Be free

5. Honesty is good, but lie when you need to.

6. when all else fails, be pragmatic

7. be flexible and adaptable, because there is no universal way to solve all problems

8. safe, sane and consensual, if it fulfills all three, I have no problem with it.

9. enjoy life.

JBento
2011-07-04, 01:03 PM
I would peg him as either NG, LN, or NG.

1) Lawful

2) Non-Evil

3) Lawful

4) Lawful

5) Neutral on the Ethic axis

6) Lawful

7) Non-Chaotic

8) Neutral on the Ethic axis

9) Neutral on the Ethic axis

10) Neutral on the Ethic axis

11) Good

12) Irrelevant in D&D's take on alignments

13) Neutral on the Moral axis

EDIT: Raziere strikes as me Chaotic Neutral

Yora
2011-07-04, 01:09 PM
My moral code:

That's easy: N

Nothing leaning to Law, Chaos, Good, or Evil, so simply Neutral.

CockroachTeaParty
2011-07-04, 01:15 PM
I was thinking "gee, do I even have a personal moral code? Maybe I should make one." But then, does a lack of a moral code make one chaotic? Perhaps even evil? I've never thought of myself as evil... heck, I'm pretty adamantly opposed to evil.

However, one doesn't need to be good in order to despise evil. I don't 'fight fire with fire,' so that may make me closer to neutral, then. As for Law/Chaos... well, I probably lean more towards chaos, but lack the conviction or initiative to really take action against law or preach the benefits of one side or the other...

So I guess until I can hammer out a more concrete moral code, I'll just have to settle for TN.

Yora
2011-07-04, 01:19 PM
I'd say you don't have to take action to disturb any kind of social rules. To be chaotic, I think it would be enough to simply not care about fiting in and not doing what's expected of one if one does not feel it's a good idea.

Lord Raziere
2011-07-04, 01:22 PM
I'd say you don't have to take action to disturb any kind of social rules. To be chaotic, I think it would be enough to simply not care about fiting in and not doing what's expected of one if one does not feel it's a good idea.

oh right, I have chaotic-ish leanings methinks because I prefer to be an individual rather than follow social conventions.

Yora
2011-07-04, 01:26 PM
Yeah, CN probably would work as well. It really depends on how strongly the chaotic tendencies actually are. Both N and CN would fit perfectly well without any troubles, but I usually tend to say neutral unless there's really strong evidence into one or the other direction.

Welknair
2011-07-04, 01:29 PM
Ooh, this looks like fun.

Mine:

1. Be tolerant. If they aren't breaking laws, let them be. People are, and should be free to be who they will be and believe what they will believe. You do not have the right to take that from them.
2. Be honest and ethical. Our society is built on trust.
3. Obey legitimate and logical authority. If the rules aren't logical, there's something wrong with the authority.
4. Help others where you can. What goes around comes around.
5. Be flexible. Things change and you need to be ready for when that happens.
6. Honor your oaths. If you don't, they aren't really oaths, now are they?
7. Don't interfere with other people's business unless you honestly think you can better the situation.
8. If someone has shown kindness to you in the past, look for any opportunity to repay that kindness. Related to 4. Show kindness back and you can expect it to come again.
9. Speak the truth. Trust is a very, very valuable thing. Don't waste it lightly.
10. Opinions are just opinions. Everyone is entitled to their own. If yours isn't nice, keep it to yourself.
11. Vengeance tends to be worthless. There's a difference between vengeance and punishment. Vengeance is hurting someone because they hurt you and for no reason besides that. Punishment is hurting someone with the hope it will change their ways.
12. Trust in society and others. If you can't do this, civilization will break apart, and no one (except the anarchists) want that.
13. Don't judge. People are who they are and you have no right to try to change them.
14. Don't try to change people. You will fail. And make both you and the person you are trying to change unhappy.
15. Be fair.
16. Be understanding. Not everyone is in the same situation as you are. If someone's acting rudely, think about what would have caused them to act like that. There is always a reason. Related to 13. If someone is sad, try to console them. You may not know what they are feeling, but that doesn't mean you can't be there for them and sympathize. Related to 4.
17. Don't be angry. It helps nothing.
18. People will say what they will say. In the end all that matters is what you think about yourself. And guess what? You're pretty darn awesome.
19. Be humble. You may be awesome, but you're also human. There's a good chance that's what makes you awesome. You will make mistakes. Know that it is this that makes you human. You are imperfect. Accept this. You learn from your mistakes and keep on living your life.
20. Don't try to be perfect. Just try to be yourself. Perfection is unattainable and even if it were, it would be far from ideal. If everyone were "Perfect" everyone would be the same. And they would have nothing to strive for. Imperfection is the reason that people continue working and struggling and moving forward. When they become perfect, they will stand still.
21. Learn from your mistakes, but don't dwell on them. Once you've learned all you can from your past failings, continuing to think about them will help with nothing.
22. "Normal" is boring as heck. Why would anyone want to give up their identity and individuality?
23. Be polite. It's just common courtesy.
24. Don't try to convince people that you're right and they're wrong. There's a near-infinite number of people who think the opposite. You could spend a lifetime arguing and get nowhere.

By the end I think I deviated a little from strict alignment-related world viewpoints and more into general stuff... oh well. Edit: And then I added another two that are a little more alignment-based.

Gamgee
2011-07-04, 01:35 PM
My moral code can't be summed up even if I had a book to do it in. I would have to live a thousand lifetimes to know my moral code, but I have one.

Some things remain constant.

1. Help others if I'm able to. It really can take a lot for me to say no, or if I get a "bad" vibe from them.

2. Work with balancing the greater good of society with the individual. Strive to promote balance and harmony. At the same time do not stifle them.

3. As hard as it may be, enlighten people to how the world works. An ignorant society is something I abhor, though know sometimes it's not always through choice that it can come about.

4. Know my own boundary, if someone doesn't want my help and they make that clear. I will not give it, sometimes they're idiots and I help them anyways. Let someone else have the credit though.

I think those are the only three things I can say broadly fit my codes, which adapts to situations. Or I adapt it if a new one arises (which happens frequently).

Edit
I may have numbered them, but they are all of equal importance.

Yora
2011-07-04, 01:39 PM
Ooh, this looks like fun.

Mine:

1. Be tolerant. If they aren't breaking laws, let them be. People are, and should be free to be who they will be and believe what they will believe. You do not have the right to take that from them.
2. Be honest and ethical. Our society is built on trust.
Why such a long list? After the first two points CG seems quite obvious and nothing later on the list challenges that. :smallbiggrin:
There are those parts about respecting benevolent authorities and trusting community, but that's not opposed to Chaos either.

1. Help others if I'm able to. It really can take a lot for me to say no, or if I get a "bad" vibe from them.
2. Work with balancing the greater good of society with the individual. Strive to promote balance and harmony. At the same time do not stifle them.
3. As hard as it may be, enlighten people to how the world works. An ignorant society is something I abhor, though know sometimes it's not always through choice that it can come about.
4. Know my own boundary, if someone doesn't want my help and they make that clear. I will not give it, sometimes they're idiots and I help them anyways. Let someone else have the credit though.
Good is very clearly showing through. With no strong leanings to either Law or Chaos, I'd say NG.

Welknair
2011-07-04, 01:40 PM
Why such a long list? After the first two points CG seems quite obvious and nothing later on the list challenges that. :smallbiggrin:
There are those parts about respecting benevolent authorities and trusting community, but that's not opposed to Chaos either.

Isn't being honest and ethical a Lawful trait?

Nice Melon Lord.

Lord Raziere
2011-07-04, 01:42 PM
maybe we can turn this into one of those silly message board games where people post their moral code on one post then people post what they think that alignment that moral code is?

Welknair
2011-07-04, 01:43 PM
maybe we can turn this into one of those silly message board games where people post their moral code on one post then people post what they think that alignment that moral code is?

Sounds like a good idea. Should someone make a new thread? Or should we ask for this one to be moved?

Siosilvar
2011-07-04, 01:50 PM
-snip-That's an LN code if I saw one.

-snip- Definitively Good. Sounds very Chaotic, but it also looks almost exactly like mine would if I'd take the time to compile it, and I've got a very Lawful bent...

-snip- Neutral Good, methinks.

Welknair
2011-07-04, 01:57 PM
Definitively Good. Sounds very Chaotic, but it also looks almost exactly like mine would if I'd take the time to compile it, and I've got a very Lawful bent...

See, I always thought I was LG. I have a number of Lawful aspects as detailed in that list. I'm just not Lawful Stupid.

Solaris
2011-07-04, 03:02 PM
@ Cockroach: Yep, Neutral.

@ Lord Raziere: I'd call it Neutral, maybe Chaotic Neutral.

@ Welknair: Gonna call it LN/LG, depending on how much you emphasize the 'look out for number two and three' bits.

@ Gamgee: NG, without a doubt in my mind.

Now try mine on for size:
1 - Screw the rules. What needs doing, needs done. I don't need to ask permission to do the right thing.
2 - Actions speak. Words are silent.
3 - Harm none lest it need harmed.
4 - My word is my bond. If I swear to do something, I will do it.
5 - Ensure that this remains a place where someone who turns the other cheek can reasonably expect to survive doing so.
6 - Mercy is a luxury.
7 - Above all else, freedom of will, freedom of opportunity, and the right to fail must be protected.

Milos The Sly
2011-07-04, 03:12 PM
Solaris is, without a doubt, CG, though number 4 is a lawful trait.

Welknair
2011-07-04, 03:12 PM
Solaris, you seem predominately CG, with a side of Law thrown in with #4.

Edit: SWORDSAGE'D

GoblinArchmage
2011-07-04, 08:34 PM
Well, this is all subjective, but here are my opinions. Just so I don't have to keep saying so, let me emphasize now that they are all just opinions. Also, because I probably don't know any of you personally, I doubt that I have enough information to have any idea what I'm talking about.

@Milos: LN

Most of your bullets seem to consist of Law/Chaos issues, so I didn't find much to determine where you appear to be on the Good/Evil side of things.

@Raziere: N

You don't seem overly extreme on either scale.

@Welknair: NG

Overall, it seems like you are good, but I didn't see any tendency favoring either Law or Chaos over the other.

@Gamgee: NG

Again, probably good, but I didn't see any extremes as far as Law and Chaos.

@Solaris: CN or CG

Probably Chaotic, though it's less clear whether you seem Good or Neutral.

As for me, I think that I have a lot of Existentialist leanings, such as believing that nothing has any inherent meaning, that an individual must create zer own meaning for everything, that all humans are completely free and have responsibility for all of their own actions, that "existence precedes essence" (Sartre), and so on. So I suppose that would be Chaotic Neutral.

Blue Ghost
2011-07-06, 03:06 PM
@Milos: LN, though there are a few items on there that worry me, that may lead to Evil if you're not careful.

@Raziere: CN.

@Welknair: I'd say LG or NG. There's a lot of Lawful stuff in there, so I don't think Chaotic would fit.

@Gamgee: NG, I'd say.

@Solaris: CN. #6 kinda makes Good difficult.

Here's my list of ideals, in no particular order. I have my own thoughts on my alignment, but I may need help evaluating where my ideals fall on the Law/Chaos axis.

1. Love is the highest principle (love being defined as seeking the good of others above your own). Everything else is secondary.
2. Always treat others as I want to be treated. Especially those who don't deserve it or who I happen to dislike.
3. Never turn my back on an opportunity to help someone in need.
4. Set a good example in speech and conduct.
5. Human beings are of infinite worth.
6. I have a duty to improve myself as much as to help others.
7. Respect authority.
8. Avoid conflict when possible. If it is necessary to take sides in a controversy, remember that the other side always has a fair point.
9. Respect the freedom of others, even if I don't agree with their actions.
10. On the other hand, always be willing to give up my own freedom and rights for the sake of others.
11. Always forgive. Keep no record of wrongs. (I'm not so good at this one, but it is an important principle.)
12. Help others to a better way, if they are willing to be led. If not, live and let live.

SlashRunner
2011-07-06, 03:14 PM
I think I'm pretty much CG, leaning a bit towards Neutral on both axes (is that how the plural is spelled? I have no idea, honestly). I have a strong sense of justice and am opposed to evil acts, and I have a burning hatred of being told what to do and will usually find ways to circumvent rules that I find pointless or badly thought out (though I will go along with rules I don't like but I find necessary).

GoblinArchmage
2011-07-06, 04:28 PM
1. Love is the highest principle (love being defined as seeking the good of others above your own). Everything else is secondary.
2. Always treat others as I want to be treated. Especially those who don't deserve it or who I happen to dislike.
3. Never turn my back on an opportunity to help someone in need.
4. Set a good example in speech and conduct.
5. Human beings are of infinite worth.
6. I have a duty to improve myself as much as to help others.
7. Respect authority.
8. Avoid conflict when possible. If it is necessary to take sides in a controversy, remember that the other side always has a fair point.
9. Respect the freedom of others, even if I don't agree with their actions.
10. On the other hand, always be willing to give up my own freedom and rights for the sake of others.
11. Always forgive. Keep no record of wrongs. (I'm not so good at this one, but it is an important principle.)
12. Help others to a better way, if they are willing to be led. If not, live and let live.

I would say Lawful Good.

hamishspence
2011-07-06, 04:32 PM
sounds about right- maybe NG with LG tendencies. #7 and #10 seem to be the Lawful aspects.

I tend to put myself as LN- have almost a compulsion to organize things- tend to help when it's not sacrificing anything- tend to follow rules even at great inconvenience.

Milos The Sly
2011-07-07, 08:17 AM
Blue Ghost is quite obviously Lawful Good, with an emphasis on Good.

Eldonauran
2011-07-07, 10:55 PM
*eyes avatar*

Lawful Good

.....yep. :smallfrown:

It's would be so easy to walk another path but my conscious seems to have found a megaphone.

I think a lot like blue ghost, but justice ranks nearest the top of my list. Sure, treat others as you want to be treated, but when that person breaks that golden rule, you drop the world on their heads. *LOUD BULLHORN INTERUPTION*. Ow, ow, ow. Alright. One more chance... :smallsigh: