PDA

View Full Version : Thread tags in Recruitment forum

Sahadeva
2011-07-03, 08:21 PM
I tried searching for this first, so apologies if this has been asked already. I was thinking that it would be useful if we could select a tag for threads in Finding Players (Recruitment), and then be able to show threads by tag.

For example, most threads would be 3.5D&D, but it would be particularly useful for those interested in finding a non-3.5 game, especially for non-D&D systems. It would be nice if you could exclude by tag, to weed out 3.5, but even just being able to select particular systems would be fine.

I appreciate that this might be a lot of work, so I understand if it's just not viable right now.

Mystic Muse
2011-07-03, 10:58 PM
You could just use CTRL+F? It's what I do when looking for something specific. Plus, what you're suggesting sounds extremely difficult, if not impossible to implement.

Claudius Maximus
2011-07-03, 11:09 PM
That sounds excessive considering there are usually only about two pages of games there that are recruiting at the moment. Is it really so hard to look at each for the system you want?

Lady Moreta
2011-07-03, 11:50 PM
For that matter, most threads in the recruitment forum state in the thread title which version/game system they're using, so the Ctrl-F suggestion is the best one. Just scroll down and skim the entries or use Ctrl-F to find what you're looking for. :smallsmile:

Zherog
2011-07-04, 08:59 AM
Well, the suggestion is possible - I've seen it on other forums that use this software. But soft is correct that it's difficult to implement, even if they grab the actual code from somebody else rather than writing it from scratch. Even with that, though, implementation of a change like this one will require extensive testing since it would require alterations to the database.

While I think the idea definitely has merit, I would suspect this will get filed into the "maybe someday" sorting bin.

happyturtle
2011-07-04, 10:53 AM
We use a voluntary title tag protocol in the freeform subforum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32). There were some growing pains getting everyone used to it, and it took a few people looking over the subforum for new threads without tags and nicely asking people to edit their OPs to add the tags, but now, almost everyone remembers. And it's really easy to scan down the page and look for the tags for the freeform setting you're interested in, since they're all in the same format and at the front of the title.

It might be more difficult to get people in the habit of doing it in this instance, since Recruiting is more a collection of threads about the same thing than a coherent community, but maybe it's worth a try?

Haruki-kun
2011-07-04, 11:03 AM
We use a voluntary title tag protocol in the freeform subforum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32). There were some growing pains getting everyone used to it, and it took a few people looking over the subforum for new threads without tags and nicely asking people to edit their OPs to add the tags, but now, almost everyone remembers. And it's really easy to scan down the page and look for the tags for the freeform setting you're interested in, since they're all in the same format and at the front of the title.

It might be more difficult to get people in the habit of doing it in this instance, since Recruiting is more a collection of threads about the same thing than a coherent community, but maybe it's worth a try?

Probably worth the try.

Alternatively, you can just add such tags yourself to keep your own threads sorted out. If other people find this useful they may start doing it themselves.

[3.5D&D]
[4.0D&D]
[Etc.]