PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt swordsage/druid help

Woodzyowl
2011-07-03, 10:02 PM
I posted a thread a while back about wanting to make a "beast" swordsage (see here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205178)) and was wondering: would the character work better as an unarmed swordsage, or a regular swordsage? After all, I would be using no weapons and the fact that I have no armor proficiency is offset by the druid armor proficiencies, as well as getting me an attack that my DM would almost decidedly allow in wild shape.

Woodzyowl
2011-07-04, 11:44 AM
Could the playground please go ahead and help me with this? It's been around 14 hours since I posted this thread, and nobody has been kind enough to throw in their two cents.

Lateral
2011-07-04, 11:52 AM
Unarmed swordsage merely loses proficiency with light armour, and nothing else; druids are proficient in light and medium armour anyway. You lose nothing, and gain an extra usable attack; sounds good to me. :smallamused:

DogbertLinc
2011-07-04, 11:53 AM
I think that since you regain some proficiecies from the druid side, you really might not be giving up much, if anything at all.

I'd say it depends more on how much you'd want to punch people as a bear.

Philistine
2011-07-04, 12:11 PM
Ask your DM if he'll allow your AC bonus to work while in armor if you go UASS - most I've played with don't. If so, UASS is clearly superior. If not, it becomes more of a judgement call - more offense with UASS, or more defense with regular SS.

Woodzyowl
2011-07-04, 12:13 PM
My DM lets me use unarmed attacks along with the bear's natural attacks, so I'd be even better of a bear than before. I guess that this would have been a better question for the RAW thread: "Does a gestalt unarmed swordsage//druid still have proficiency with light and medium armor?" Thank you anyways, I thought that it would be handy to know if the druid armor proficiencies ACTUALLY countered the unarmed swordsage's lack thereof.

EDIT: my DM is 1. very lenient and 2. lets us use any source (and doesn't own ToB), so he'll most likely allow it.

EDIT 2: if I took a monk dip, do you think it would stack with the swordsage AC bonus? If so, armor doesn't even matter.

Lateral
2011-07-04, 12:22 PM
EDIT 2: if I took a monk dip, do you think it would stack with the swordsage AC bonus? If so, armor doesn't even matter.

It explicitly doesn't.

Philistine
2011-07-04, 12:22 PM
My DM lets me use unarmed attacks along with the bear's natural attacks, so I'd be even better of a bear than before. I guess that this would have been a better question for the RAW thread: "Does a gestalt unarmed swordsage//druid still have proficiency with light and medium armor?" Thank you anyways, I thought that it would be handy to know if the druid armor proficiencies ACTUALLY countered the unarmed swordsage's lack thereof.
There's no question about that - your character absolutely gets those proficiencies if either class in the gestalt does. The question is whether UASS abilities continue to function in armor, which they probably are not meant to do.

EDIT: my DM is 1. very lenient and 2. lets us use any source (and doesn't own ToB), so he'll most likely allow it.

Again, ask your DM - but I've never seen that allowed.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-04, 12:31 PM
Just a little note. On this forum at least,gestalt combinations are separated by the double bracket i.e Fighter//Sorcerer. The reason for this is to avoid confusing it with multiclassing. This especially helps when there is multiclassing within the gestalt, like Fighter/Ranger//Sorcerer.

Woodzyowl
2011-07-04, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I forgot about that when I posted, but throughout the thread I corrected myself.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-04, 01:28 PM
Good, good, carry on.:smallsmile: