PDA

View Full Version : AVB - Tolgar

Rizban
2011-07-04, 03:44 AM
Arriving at the address from the advertisement, you find yourself before a small manor in Old Town surrounded by a wrought-iron fence. The gate has a stone wall around it with a small stone guardhouse built into it. A placard on the wall next to the front gate reads "Feierabend."

Lyndworm
2011-07-04, 12:22 PM
Tolgar approaches the guard tower slowly, intending to introduce himself. "Ho!" he shouts. "I am Tolgar Ironfist, and I come to offer my aid."

Rizban
2011-07-04, 08:37 PM
Opening the window to the guardhouse, the guard looks out.

"May I help you, sir?"

Lyndworm
2011-07-05, 02:00 PM
"I hope so. I'm seeking information about a missing cat. I wish to find the creature and I was told this is the place to learn about it." says Tolgar. "Was I given misinformation?"

Rizban
2011-07-06, 01:20 PM
"Right, well, hold on a moment."

He closes the window. A few minutes later, a servant meets you at the gate. The guard unlocks it, and the servant shows you to the house.

"Sir, may I please present your card?"

Lyndworm
2011-07-06, 02:24 PM
"I'm afraid that I have no card to present, but it's kind of you to think me important enough to ask." says Tolgar, a chuckle in his voice. Removing his hood to prove himself a warforged, he continues "Tell your master that his caller is much too new in town to have such markers of significance. I'm genuinely interested in that cat, though. I have a feeling this city's far too rough for a domesticated beast."

Rizban
2011-07-07, 02:56 PM
Sorry about the delay. Busy work schedule."Alright..."

He leaves you in a small sitting room, returning about 10 minutes later.

"I am sorry, sir, but the lady refuses to meet with anyone so... common. I am, however, authorized to answer your questions."

Lyndworm
2011-07-07, 03:08 PM
"I was afraid that I would get such a response..." says Tolgar grumpily. "Thank you for your cooperation. Could you tell me what the cat looked like, or it's name, or even where it was last seen? Anything you tell me could aid in my search."

Rizban
2011-07-07, 03:17 PM
He points to a small painting on the wall of a black and white cat.

"That is Jasper, the young lady's cat. It was last seen at the Fortress, where she was visiting her father. The last time anyone reports seeing Jasper, he was on King's Causeway heading north towards the Docks."

Lyndworm
2011-07-07, 03:55 PM
"Thank you much, sir. You've been a great help to me and hopefully to your lady as well. If you have no more business with me, I shall take my leave." Tolgar stands abruptly, extending an oversized, three-fingered hand towards the man. Whether the man takes it or not, Tolgar will move to leave the estate and head toward the Docks.

Rizban
2011-07-08, 10:41 AM
He shakes your hand and you leave.

As you approach the Docks across King's Causeway, you spot a cat which looks much like Jasper sniffing around at the gatehouse leading into the Docks.

Lyndworm
2011-07-08, 10:50 AM
"Jasper!" calls Tolgar softly. "Jasper! I mean you no harm. Come to me." The warforged approaches slowly.

Handle Animal:
[roll0]

Rizban
2011-07-08, 10:51 AM
Jasper, ignoring you, picks something up in his mouth and then heads off to the north into the Docks at a full run.

Lyndworm
2011-07-08, 10:56 AM
"Odd..." After a brief moment to think, Tolgar follows after the cat.

Rizban
2011-07-08, 10:58 AM
The cat continues to move north, occasionally slowing or stopping, but always eluding you. He eventually arrives in the slums north of the Docks, where you lose sight of him.

Lyndworm
2011-07-08, 11:08 AM
The warforged stops walking as soon as he realizes he's lost the creature. If I've lost him then there's not much to do but wander, thinks Tolgar to himself. He looks about, looking around for anything to do.

Rizban
2011-07-08, 11:27 AM
He notices that the majority of the population is goblinoid in nature, primarily hobgoblins and the occasional bugbear.

The buildings are ramshackle, and many barely stand. A few appear to have been built by piling up various bits of whatever could be found and would fall over in even a light breeze.

Lyndworm
2011-07-08, 11:38 AM
Tolgar does not like what he sees. The warforged finds the scene depressing and disconcerting, but he approaches the nearest of the goblinoids and asks "Have you seen a black and white cat come through here?"

Rizban
2011-07-08, 11:42 AM
"Wats a kat?"

Lyndworm
2011-07-08, 11:45 AM
"Small animal, claws, meaner than it looks."

Rizban
2011-07-08, 12:34 PM
"Oh. You think Rat. Yes. Much rat here."

Lyndworm
2011-07-08, 12:48 PM
"Fair enough. Thank you for your time." Tolgar moves along to the next goblinoid and repeats his question, and so on and so on.

Gather Information check, yeah?
[roll0]

Rizban
2011-07-08, 12:50 PM
Unfortunately, most of them refuse to speak to you, mostly because they don't even speak Common.

By sheer chance though (rolled a die), you spot Jasper again as he enters the remnants of a burnt out building. You catch sight of him just as he darts down a rather large hole in the ground.

Lyndworm
2011-07-08, 12:52 PM
Tolgar follows the cat, peering inside the hole.

If the hole is large enough for Tolgar to enter, he does so.

Rizban
2011-07-08, 12:54 PM
The hole appears to be a stairwell hewn in the earth, likely the entrance to the basement of this former building.

Lyndworm
2011-07-08, 12:57 PM
Tolgar descends along the staircase, keeping an eye out for the cat.

Rizban
2011-07-08, 01:04 PM
The stairs descend into the charred husk of a basement. Burnt debris litters the floor, while cracked beams hang heavily fro the ceiling. As you step into the wreckage, your boots crunch on broken pottery, bits of plaster, and other burnt out material you'd rather not ponder. The roughly square space is about 30'x30' and has two exits hewn from the ground, one directly before you and the other in the wall to your left.

Lyndworm
2011-07-08, 01:09 PM
"Jasper!" calls Tolgar. Striding forward, the warforged peeks into the exit on the left.

Rizban
2011-07-08, 01:13 PM
The floor of this room is littered with broken glass and other sharp, pointy debris. Fortunately, being a Warforged, Tolgar's feet aren't injured by the debris. This room is otherwise empty, though there is one exit on the right hand wall.

Lyndworm
2011-07-08, 01:28 PM
Tolgar does not enter the second room but rather continues to the exit across from the stairs.

Rizban
2011-07-08, 01:33 PM
This room is about 30 feet across but extends a good 70 feet to your left. A door in that direction appears to enter into the room with the shattered glass and other fragments. Burnt wreckage litters the floor, including the charred remains of three great wine casks that crashed through from above when the floor gave way in the fire. Two exits on the wall in front of you seem to go deeper into this labyrinth of interconnected basements.

Lyndworm
2011-07-08, 01:37 PM
Tolgar walks forward, through the closest of the two exits in front of him. "Jasper!"

Rizban
2011-07-08, 01:38 PM
This room is mostly bare except for a small, open shaft in the ground leading down. The sound of moving water echos up from below.

Lyndworm
2011-07-08, 01:39 PM
Tolgar peers into the shaft.

Rizban
2011-07-08, 01:42 PM
It's a long way straight down into the darkness. The sides seem to be covered with a slippery lichen.

You hear the sound of water more clearly.

Suddenly, you hear the sounds of battle coming from nearby.

Lyndworm
2011-07-08, 01:48 PM
Standing abruptly, Tolgar leaves the room and tries the other of the two exits.

Rizban
2011-07-08, 01:49 PM
Well, the left exit indeed leads back into the room with the broken glass.

The other exit is obscured by several skeletons hanging from the ceiling by ropes, rusted swords tied clumsily to their hands. The sounds of battle are coming from beyond.

Lyndworm
2011-07-08, 01:56 PM
Tolgar moves through the skeletons, towards the sound of battle.

Rizban
2011-07-08, 02:01 PM
You find an elf surrounded by monstrous centipedes, several lay dead at his feet.

Roll for initiative.

Link to the Team Up Thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11375284#post11375284)

Jeriah
2012-01-17, 03:21 AM
Carrying the cat, you step away from the elf as he searches the secret room.

Lyndworm
2012-01-17, 03:43 AM
Tolgar continues moving away from the elf, out the way he came.

Jeriah
2012-01-17, 05:16 AM
Tolgar passes the caster's podium and notes, exits the laboratory, follows along the hallway through which he came, passing by the armory on his left with the three dead ratlings, passing through the guard post with two dead ratlings and two dead dire rats. He may choose to stop in any location if he desires.

He ends up back in the cave filled with huge piles of refuse and the squeaking of hundreds of rats. To the left is the tunnel through which he entered. To the right lies an unexplored tunnel.

Lyndworm
2012-01-17, 05:29 AM
The warforged continues ignoring all other options and heads left, staying on the path outside.

Jeriah
2012-01-17, 05:30 AM
He climbs back up the hole into the darkness beyond.

There are two (2) dead carrion crawlers here.

Exits are North, Down.You see a flask.

Lyndworm
2012-01-17, 05:43 AM
OoC:
Take ye flask.

I'm afraid that we didn't use cardinal directions, so I've no idea which way is out. Was that intentional?

Jeriah
2012-01-17, 05:45 AM
You cannot take ye flask.

You have been eaten by a grue.

Oh... I didn't realize that you didn't use the cardinals. That's fine, there's only the hole you crawled up and the one doorway. You can't get too lost.

Lyndworm
2012-01-17, 05:55 AM
OoC:
I'm cool using cardinals from here on in, if you'd like. Rizban was using relative direction before, however (right/left). I suspect that this wasn't an accident, and he was trying to make us remember which way we were facing rather than just following an imaginary map. He can be pretty hardcore sometimes.

Tolgar moves North, cat in tow.

Jeriah
2012-01-17, 06:02 AM
Yeah, that's kind of why I like playing with Riz though. He's a pretty good guy.Tolgar finds himself back in the room with the machinery, orange goo is still dripping from shattered remains of the system he helped destroy. The puddle has grown significantly, and Tolgar will be unable to walk back through the same "tunnel" without treading through it.

The only door out is on the other side of the room.

Lyndworm
2012-01-17, 06:13 AM
OoC:
Same here. I turned down a new DM just so I could stay with him. Riz and I've been playing together a long time (technically, since before the very first Assassins vs Bodyguards game), and he's always seemed like a very cool guy. He's creative, funny, open, and has a fantastic understanding of the rules to boot.

That's not to put you down as a DM, of course. I don't know you very well personally, yet, but you've performed admirably as my DM. It takes a lot of courage to leap into somebody else's thread and take the reins, even with an invitation, and you're doing an excellent job so far.

Setting his toothless maw, Tolgar decides to wade through the goop. He attempts to keep the unconscious Jasper out of the orange stuff as best he's able.

Jeriah
2012-01-17, 06:28 AM
Heh, thanks. Riz actually got me into the game about four years ago. I've turned into a rabid power gamer and rules lawyer since then, and I've always hated DMing. He convinced me to DM one character, and I've actually enjoyed it. This is much nicer with him doing all the hard DM work of approvals and filtering out the obnoxious questions and just letting me run the stories. It's kind of nice. I'm just not sure what I'll do once I get off of the pre-planned paths, because I've never actually created a story for players before. :smalleek:He finds himself needing to make a Fort save as he walks through it.

Lyndworm
2012-01-17, 06:42 AM
OoC:
Wow, I didn't know that! I'm certainly glad he did all of that for/to you, then. I'm not a huge fan of DMing, either... I was offered a role as an A:VB DM, but I turned it down. I run a game and a half IRL, and it's nearly too much for me. I just find it very stressful for some reason, and not nearly as enjoyable as I'd thought it would be. I'm glad that you seem to be enjoying it, though! I'm happy to be your guinea pig while you figure out your own story if you'd like. I don't mind much if the game has to slow down or if you make a mistake or six while you're getting the hang of it (not to imply that you'd screw up, of course).

Tolgar grunts as he feels the sticky orange goo assaulting his body.

Does being a Living Construct help with this at all? I think not, but it never hurts to ask.

Fortitude Save:
[roll0]

Jeriah
2012-01-17, 07:01 AM
I've found that all the actual hard work seems to be taken out in this format. It's kind of like just hanging out and gaming with no real pressure. And, if a player gets too obnoxious or stupid, you just keep upping the difficulty until they don't survive. :smalltongue: The bad players get stuck in the queue waiting with the new applicants, while the good players get a fast track back to the front of the line with their replacement character. Including you and sit, I'm DMing 5 players... which is a lot more than I really wanted. Thankfully, one is just about to be back in Riz's hands, and two of the others are in a team up, one of which won't be mine after they split up. So, I'm still only DMing 3 stories at the most.

Riz cheats though. He basically just cribs things that happened in his RL games and runs the new players through them.1Unfortunately, it's because you're a living construct that you have to save.Tolgar feels the goo begin to drain the animating forces of his body. He gains a [roll0] penalty to Initiative checks and [roll1] hit point burn.
Hit point burn is like ability burn from the XPH, except that I made it up just now as part of the logical extension of the abilities of this goo Riz invented. HP burn, like ability burn, can't be magically healed and returns only through natural healing... which I know warforged can't do normally, but they can in this case. Or, rather, it stops being burn and becomes normal damage after it's "naturally healed" to keep from violating the normal rules for warforged. Make sense? (I hope so...)

The initiative penalty will disappear once the burned HP is naturally healed.

Lyndworm
2012-01-17, 07:24 AM
Tolgar is brought to his knees by the magic-sapping goo, He struggles to get up, but only falls over completely, the unconscious body of Jasper laying next to him. The warforged makes no move to right himself, instead lying there unmoving.

:smallfrown: Tolgar's just been brought to -1hp. That means he's inert (since he's a Living Construct), which is essentially a form of permanent unconsciousness and stabilized hit points. So long as nothing damages or heals Tolgar, he'll remain exactly where he is, forever, neither awake nor dead, but somewhere in between.

Oh, well. It was fun while it lasted, and I look forward to making a new PC soon. I think I'll go for a sneakier character this time, one designed more for social interaction and survivability then shouting 'Clobberin' time!' and beating people up. Unless you'd prefer a more combat-focused character? I remember you saying that you were something of a power-gamer/rules lawyer, so maybe you'd like more encounters rather than more story advancement? I'll do whatever; I'm easy to please.

Jeriah
2012-01-17, 10:25 AM
I thought you just used several repair potions... I must have miscounted something somewhere, because I was sure that couldn't have dropped you below 1.

Lyndworm
2012-01-17, 10:43 AM
OoC:
:smallredface:

I forgot to update his hit points (but not his items, of course :smallannoyed:) after having Tolgar take those two potions. He should have 18 hit points, not 8. Wow. I'm terribly, terribly sorry for the mix-up. I don't really know what to say, more that that... I don't believe I've ever messed up quite that badly before.

Somehow managing to wince despite not having lips, Tolgar tries to push past the goo and leave this room of gears.

Jeriah
2012-01-17, 08:23 PM
He passes through the room with no difficulty. Back in the "sewer tunnel" with the trickling stream of water, he sees the cave in to his right and the tunnel disappearing around the corner to his left. Fresh, obvious tracks indicate that someone went down that way since you last passed through.

The drop through which he came conveniently has a rope dangling within it, probably thanks to the other person or people now down here.I swear it's not DM fiat. Some other PC(s) left the rope there.

Lyndworm
2012-01-17, 08:58 PM
OoC:
Haha! :smallbiggrin: How awesome is that? I'll probably come back and check them out once I finish this quest.

Making a mental note of the rope and tracks, Tolgar decides to keep moving. He makes use of the fortunate castoff, and attempts to climb back up to the surface.

Does this require a Climb check? If so, Tolgar will take 10 if possible. If that's not possible, here we go:

Climb:
[roll0]

Jeriah
2012-01-17, 10:31 PM
He easily beats the Climb DC of 5.

He finds himself in the room with the dead centipedes and easily finds his way back out into the Slums. He finds that he's been at this all night, though it has felt like months. The sun is rising steadily, and morning is upon you.

Lyndworm
2012-01-18, 07:46 AM
OoC:
As Tolgar's an extreme newcomer to Aldhaven, is it safe to assume that he's aware of the free healing handed out at some temples (my last character made frequent use of them, but he was a little more familiar with large urban environments, if not Aldhaven itself)? If so, Tolgar will seek one out, hoping for some healing for himself and poor Jasper. If not, well... I'll figure something else out when we get to that bridge.

Jeriah
2012-01-18, 06:36 PM
Yeah, it's generally known that temples offer free healing in this world.

Jeriah
2012-01-19, 08:35 AM
It's not showing me as the most recent poster, so...

Jeriah
2012-01-19, 08:36 AM
Trying again...

Edit: Alright, THAT time it finally showed all my posts.

Lyndworm
2012-01-19, 08:29 PM
OoC:
Sorry about that; my subscriptions didn't update me yesterday for some reason. I'm glad you caught it, though! Thanks a lot.

Finally free of the darkness and dampness, Tolgar allows himself just a moment to watch the sun make it's ascent and ponder the past night's events. Before too long, the warforged sets out for the Temple District.

Jeriah
2012-01-20, 12:12 AM
It wasn't showing my posts or registering that I had posted in the subscriptions. It wasn't your fault. The forum was just screwy.He sees significantly more hobgoblins in the area than he did on the way in. It's almost as if they've taken over the place in a single night.

He arrives in the Temple District without problems.

Lyndworm
2012-01-20, 12:21 AM
OoC;
It's happened before. I assume it's somehow related to all of the other known problems with the forum's current host. Oh, well, time to move on and get to postin'! :smalltongue:

Not worshiping any god himself, Tolgar walks into the first large temple he sees, Jasper cradled in one arm.

Jeriah
2012-01-20, 06:15 AM
You find yourself in a large, open air courtyard around the temple of Pelor (http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/37716d3423a654bdbbb1b92b223a9cedc158e54c.pjpg) surrounded by the thick, circular outer wall. A sense of power seems to linger in the air. The large front door to the main building stands open, revealing a large statue of Pelor sitting cross legged with open arms, welcoming his children into the temple.

Lyndworm
2012-01-20, 07:50 AM
Tolgar, obviously wounded, what with his torn fibers, cracked stone, and bent metal, approached the nearest official-looking person. "I'm sorry to be a bother, but I'm afraid that I've managed to get banged up pretty badly." he says. "Is there any chance you guys can fit me in?"

Jeriah
2012-01-20, 11:44 PM
The priest looks at him for a second. "Would it not be better to find a good craftsman?"

Lyndworm
2012-01-21, 12:01 AM
"Haha!" barks the warforged, surprised and amused by the man's polite ignorance. "I do not heal on my own, and seek your assistance. If I could please rest here for a while, I would appreciate it quite a lot, and if you could spare some of your healing magics, that would also be appreciated."

Jeriah
2012-01-21, 12:18 AM
"Alright, though I think our magic would be... inefficient on you."

The priest shows you to an area of the gardens with covered benches and a small fountain with cups for drinking.

"You may rest here as long as you like. I will see if I can find a priest with a few extra healing spells for you."

Lyndworm
2012-01-21, 08:50 AM
The warforged thanks the priest and finds a place to rest. Knowing that he'd be there for a while, he begins to work on his armor.

Tolgar will repair himself for the next eight hours or so. He regains a number of HP equal to the result of his check -15.

Craft (Blacksmithing):
[roll0] :smallmad:

That's eight hours wasted.

Jeriah
2012-01-21, 03:59 PM
During that eight hours, five separate priests comes by to offer him healing magics.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Lyndworm
2012-01-21, 08:41 PM
OoC:
Anything spared for Jasper? I can see where a temple of Pelor might not want to "waste" any magic on a cat. If the priests don't mind, Tolgar would have that last spell (or any weaker one) directed at Jasper.

Also, does this downtime count as rest for the orange goo penalties?

Jeriah
2012-01-21, 09:10 PM
Yes, the 8 hours will count as rest for that.

I can't remember, did I give you XP for the ratling dungeon crawl?

Lyndworm
2012-01-21, 09:17 PM
OoC:
No! Wow! I was so excited to get to the RP part of the quest (turning it in) that I totally forgot about it. I actually had to go back and check the old thread to be sure, haha. It's a good thing you remembered. :smallredface:

Jeriah
2012-01-23, 04:25 PM
I only thought of it, because you don't get to level up in AVB until you rest or otherwise have significant down time. I'm going through that whole thread to find every spot you should have gained XP.

150 XP for killing the centipedes at the beginning.

50 XP for squishing the chained dire rats as they try to flee.
You still have the five lengths of chain with iron collars on one end.

Nothing for letting Amberly blast her way through the mechanical room.

300 XP for the carrion crawlers.

100 XP for the two ratlings in the garbage and rat cave.

330 XP for the 3 ratling guards and their dire rats.

150 XP for the 3 better armed ratling guards.

1800 XP for the 6 ratlings, the mage, and the rat monster in the lab.

Tolgar gains a total of 2,880 XP.

Lyndworm
2012-01-23, 09:40 PM
OoC:
Thank you very much. I've updated Tolgar's sheet with the new XP; 2,595 more and he'll level up!

Is Jasper awake?

Jeriah
2012-01-24, 01:43 PM
Jasper is indeed awake.

Lyndworm
2012-01-24, 02:52 PM
Tolgar thanks the priests for there healing, and donates 11gp to their temple. "You people do good work." he says. "I will give more when I can, but you've helped a poor soul with not much on him. Fare well." Unless the priests wish for him to stay longer, Tolgar will take Jasper and head back to Old Town, and to Feierabend manor.

HAPPY FIRST BIRTHDAY AVB!!!!
Happy birthday! I'm so glad that I got to be a part of this; A:VB is hands-down the most interesting game I've ever played. Thank you for letting me be a part of it.

Jeriah
2012-01-27, 10:17 PM
I've certainly enjoyed being part of AVB.

You get your 100xp. :smalltongue:The priests seem to basically ignore him when not offering healing, and none seem to notice him leaving. They are obviously more concerned with other things.

Arriving in Old Town, Tolgar notices that the gates to the manor stand open, and there seem to be several people milling about the estate dressed in black. The guard at the gate gives him a quick glance as he enters but says nothing.

Lyndworm
2012-01-27, 10:27 PM
Tolgar, perplexed at the strange behavior he's witnessing, moves on to the manor anyway. If uninterrupted, he attempts to get a response for the manor's inhabitants.

Jeriah
2012-01-27, 10:55 PM
The door to the manor stands open, and Tolgar arrives at it just as a crying woman is escorted out by the man with her, his arm around her shoulders. Through the doorway, Tolgar can see that one side of the hallway is lined with elaborate floral displays.

Lyndworm
2012-01-27, 11:39 PM
"Excuse me," says Tolgar to the pair. "I have business with the Feierabends. Can you tell me what's happened here?"

Jeriah
2012-01-28, 02:52 AM
The man looks up at you and almost whispers, "Duke Feierabend has been killed."

The woman begins to sob, and he quickly leads her away, ignoring anything else you say to him.

Lyndworm
2012-01-28, 06:13 AM
Still carrying Jasper around, the shocked warforged looks around to see if he can spot an official of some kind. "This is horrible!" He states. "What has happened?"

Jeriah
2012-01-28, 09:11 PM
He finds the butler, Arminius, whom he has met before.

"The master died from certain health complications due to the actions of our illustrious leaders. I can't really give you more information than that.

Was there something you needed, 'forged? Or were you just here to pay your respects?"

Jeriah
2012-01-28, 09:13 PM
He finds the butler, Arminius, whom he has met before.

"The master died from certain health complications due to the actions of our illustrious leaders. I can't really give you more information than that.

Was there something you needed, 'forged? Or were you just here to pay your respects?"

Lyndworm
2012-01-28, 10:43 PM
"This was the first I've heard of the tragedy, so I come on business. I've believe that I've located Jasper!" Tolgar attempts to display the presumably unhappy cat to the butler. "Do you know who I should see about the cat? I imagine that your master's daughter is still interested in its return."

Jeriah
2012-01-30, 11:45 PM
"She's in the parlor meeting with well wishers. If you don't mind waiting to get in, I'm sure she'd be greatly cheered by Jasper's return."

Lyndworm
2012-02-01, 02:28 AM
"I do not mind." says the warforged. "Where would you have me wait, that I might not be a bother during these trying times?"

Jeriah
2012-02-06, 10:34 AM
Sorry about not posting. I've been working so many back to back doubles and kept falling asleep as soon as I sat down to reply to anything."There's a short line of well wishers waiting to offer Lady Walda their regards. Simply join the end of the line."

Jeriah
2012-02-06, 10:36 AM
fixing forum error

Lyndworm
2012-02-06, 09:43 PM
OoC:
Don't worry about it. Real life always has to come first.

Tolgar nods and thanks the man before moving to do as suggested. The warforged joins the line.

Jeriah
2012-02-22, 10:50 PM
A few moments pass as you wait. Eventually you enter the room.

As soon as you do, Walds jumps to her feet, shouts, "JASPER!" and runs toward you, her arms flung wide.

Lyndworm
2012-02-23, 09:50 PM
The warforged would smile, if he could; it's hard not to feel some amount of joy when witnessing such an explosion of the emotion in another. "I am happy to have brought him back to you," says Tolgar holding the cat out to the woman. "But there is the ugly business of my compensation with which to deal. I don't enjoy intruding at such a difficult time, but I'd rather not intrude any longer than necessary, either."

Jeriah
2012-02-23, 10:41 PM
"Yes, yes, anything you want!"

She hugs the cat to her. Though he looks uncomfortable, Jasper doesn't object.

Lyndworm
2012-02-23, 11:25 PM
"I'm unfamiliar with the going rate of cats in this city. What would you deem a fair price for the time and effort I spent searching for your beloved in the dank and dangerous sewers beneath our city?"

Jeriah
2012-02-23, 11:31 PM
"Sewers, ick! Take whatever you want and go bathe."

She sits back down holding her cat and waves dismissal at you, obviously expecting you to leave.

Lyndworm
2012-02-24, 02:09 AM
Momentarily confused, the warforged decides to make the best of the situation. He nods and leaves the Lady alone with Jasper. Wandering about the house more or less at random, Tolgar searches for anything that strikes his interest as useful or valuable.

In case you're not sure:
Yes, Tolgar's taking advantage of a woman's grief in order to loot her dead father.
No, Tolgar doesn't see anything wrong with that.

Tolgar will Search the estate, preferring to be thorough and take 20 (which will, by RaW, take several days to cover the entire area). If that seems unfeasible, he will instead take 10 or the following roll, whichever you prefer:

Search:
[roll0] :smallmad:

Jeriah
2012-02-24, 09:38 PM
Tolgar manages to find a nice silver spoon and a really good rake that he believes are valuable.

Lyndworm
2012-02-24, 10:23 PM
Laughing at his fortune to have found such excellent wares in trade for his services, Tolgar happily leaves the house. He heads to the market district, looking to get a good price on his newly acquired treasures.

I can actually see this happening. Tolgar has a Wisdom of 8 and no real knowledge of society. He might think the rake a particularly decorative weapon, and that means it's valuable.

Jeriah
2012-02-24, 10:33 PM
lol... that's absolutely hilarious...Being an exquisite "art" object, the spoon is quickly sold for 5gp.

The rake proves somewhat more difficult to sell... Perhaps finding a specialty store or having it identified will help...

Lyndworm
2012-02-24, 11:38 PM
Grumpily pocketing his five pieces of yellow metal, Tolgar continues to search for a buyer for his exquisite polearm. Finding none, he recalls hearing about a place that protects valuables for you, so that one needn't carry treasure on one's back at all times. The warforged sets off in search of a "bank."

Jeriah
2012-02-26, 12:47 AM
Tolgar quickly and easily finds a bank in Old Town that is open to the public.

Lyndworm
2012-02-26, 03:08 AM
Carrying his new polearm proudly, Tolgar strides into the bank, searching for someone official-looking. "I've recently come across a very valuable art piece, and I'd like to store it here. Please explain to me how you will keep my treasure safe."

Jeriah
2012-02-29, 11:19 PM
The official looking man replies, "I'm sorry, but I don't actually work here. I'm just depositing some items myself. They're quite good here though."

He points you to an lady elf sitting at a desk who he says can help you.

Approaching her, she explains that the bank uses a system of pocket dimensions and interdimensional spaces tied to a location within a strongly locked and protected vault here in this building. Inside the vault is a rack of locked boxes, to which you will hold the only key, though it will take your key and the bank's key at the same time to unlock it. That small box opens onto your own personal pocket of interdimensional space where you can store your items.

Lyndworm
2012-03-01, 07:30 PM
"This sounds ideal. Just what sort of fees would I be looking at to store this?" asks Tolgar, presenting the woman with his rake.

Jeriah
2012-03-02, 12:22 AM
"A standard box is thirty gold per month, which is only about one gold per day."

Lyndworm
2012-03-02, 07:05 AM
"Hmm..." says Tolgar, pensive. "I don't have that much on me right now. Is there no way that I could pay on a weekly basis?"

Jeriah
2012-03-03, 02:41 AM
"I'm sorry, sir, but you must pay by the month or by the year. Those are the only plans we offer."

Lyndworm
2012-03-03, 10:58 AM
"I suppose that that's fair enough..." says the warforged with a tinny sigh. "With any luck, I'll be back in a day or so." Tolgar turns around and leaves the bank, unless stopped on his way out. He heads to the market, looking for a weapons supplier (mundane or magical). His hope is to find some kind of protective case for his polearm, until he can find a suitable buyer.

Jeriah
2012-03-06, 12:51 PM
He walks through the Plaza in Midtown on his way to either North or South Market. The Plaza has two shops that deal in weapons: Ezekiel's Supplies and Erbauer's Enchanted Devices and Dynamos.

Lyndworm
2012-03-07, 04:59 AM
OoC:
In case you've not seen my signature yet, I'm very, very sick right now. My throat's so swollen that I feel like I'm choking, my eyes feel like they're the size and texture of kiwis, and I can just now breathe through my nose at all, so who knows how long that'll last? That's not even going into the various aches and pains, or the incredibly strong urge to sleep... I'll try to continue posting, but I figured that you deserved to know that I might miss a day. Thanks a lot, Jeriah.

Tolgar heads to Erbauer's, thinking that a "dynamo" store might be better suited to his needs than a "supply" store would be.

Lyndworm
2012-03-18, 06:44 PM
OoC:
I'm feeling much, much better. I'd deign so far as to say I'm not even sick (which is good, seeing as it's been over ten days since my last post). Sorry to have put the game on hold.

Jeriah
2012-03-19, 11:38 AM
I'm glad you're feeling better. I've been worried about you.

I link Riz to your last post, but he's been pretty AWOL lately... I'll see if I can get him to come do his shop.

Lyndworm
2012-03-19, 05:25 PM
OoC:
If it makes things easier, Tolgar could really just as easily head to Ezekial's. I know Rizban has enough on his plate right now, between all of his RL drama (and I don't mean that in any belittling way whatsoever) and his other AVB responsibilities; I'd rather not add to it if I don't have to.

Jeriah
2012-03-29, 11:38 AM
With Riz pulling out, going to Ezekiel's would probably be better.As you enter Ezekiel's Supplies, you notice that the walls are lined with supplies of all kinds. There are various sets of outfits designed for harsh weather conditions and dangerous climates, flasks and bottles and bags and pouches and all manner of containers, swords and knives and bows, and even a small section entirely devoted to cooking utensils and pots and pans. In the far back is a locked glass case filled with what appear to be various magical potions.

A half-elf woman stands behind a counter near the door and smiles at you as you enter. "Welcome to Ezekiel's Supplies! Please, look around and ask if you have any questions."

Lyndworm
2012-03-29, 04:25 PM
"Thank you." says Tolgar, approaching the woman. "A magnificent showpiece has just come into my possession. Can you provide any protection for this?" he asks, presenting the rake. "I had a case in mind, but I see that you have a selection of potions and oils as well."

Jeriah
2012-03-30, 03:12 AM
She looks at the rake and raises an eyebrow.

Sir, we usually don't store items. We're a shop. We sell items... But, I suppose you can speak to Mr. Jedder if you want. He may be able to work out some sort of deal with you.

Lyndworm
2012-03-30, 03:24 PM
"You misunderstand." says the warforged. "I seek a form of protection that I might take with me when I go, such as a sturdy case or magic oil. If you think that Mr. Jeddar would be willing to meet with me, though, that option does sound intriguing."

Jeriah
2012-03-30, 06:06 PM
Ah, yes, my mistake. I did not realize what you meant. I'm sure we could fashion a case for your rather... unique, um, showpiece.

Jeriah
2012-03-30, 06:23 PM
disappearing post bug

Lyndworm
2012-03-30, 10:30 PM
"I would very much like to commission such a thing." rumbles Tolgar. "To whom should I speak to make arrangements?"

Jeriah
2012-03-30, 11:22 PM
Again, you'll need to speak with Mr. Jedder. I'll arrange a meeting with him for you.

Lyndworm
2012-03-30, 11:31 PM
"Thank you. Have you any idea when he'd like to meet?"

Jeriah
2012-03-30, 11:37 PM
She looks at Tolgar a bit irritated.

Well, I haven't spoken to him on your behalf yet...

Lyndworm
2012-03-30, 11:58 PM
"Very well, then," says Tolgar, oblivious to the half-elf's irritation. "I shall return tomorrow and check again." The warforged moves to leave the shop, heading to the North Market unless stopped.

Jeriah
2012-04-02, 05:27 PM
Well, he is here. You just haven't given me time to go talk to him. Do you mind waiting?

Lyndworm
2012-04-02, 07:16 PM
"Of course not!" exclaims the Warforged, happily. "Please do. I'd like to speak with him if he's willing."

Jeriah
2012-04-02, 08:13 PM
She touches a small crystal attached just behind her left ear and subvocalizes, apparently having a conversation with... someone.

It will be just a moment. Mr. Jedder will be here with you shortly.

Lyndworm
2012-04-04, 02:16 AM
"Wonderful! I shall wait then." says Tolgar. "Thank you for all your help."

Jeriah
2012-04-04, 02:30 AM
A man in his early thirties walks out of the back office with a slight limp. He seems like he suffered an injury at some point and walks poorly due to that. When you look into his eyes, they seem to hold the wisdom of countless eons as they pierce straight through you.

Hello, I'm Ezekiel. I heard you wanted to commission a case for a... rake. Is that right?

Lyndworm
2012-04-04, 02:36 AM
"I'm unsure what the proper name for this polearm would be," says Tolgar, once again presenting his rake. "But such an impractical design must surely be valuable. I'd never seen anything like it."

Jeriah
2012-04-04, 02:54 AM
Ezekiel Jedder nods while examining the polearm.

Do you mind if I take a closer look at it?

Lyndworm
2012-04-04, 02:58 AM
Tolgar takes a moment to think before responding "Not at all. Please do." The warforged hands the rake to Ezekial.

Jeriah
2012-04-04, 03:18 AM
He examines it for about ten minutes, finally rushing into his office to retrieve a book.

W-Where did you get this?! Do you even know what this is?!

Lyndworm
2012-04-04, 03:30 AM
Taken aback by Jedder's tone, the warforged responds "I got it from a nobleman's daughter. She gave it to me after I did a job for her... Why does it matter?" Originally shocked, Tolgar has grown cautiously optimistic.

Jeriah
2012-04-04, 05:53 AM
This is a rare and powerful Zen Rake crafted by monks of the Order of the Long Bloom. It is indeed a very powerful weapon whose powers grow even more should you simultaneously use other items related to zen gardening.

Lyndworm
2012-04-08, 08:12 PM
"Wonderful!" exclaims the warforged. "How can I learn about the other Zen Tools?" he asks.