PDA

View Full Version : The New Recruit: An epistolary character background

Jeff the Green
2011-07-04, 06:28 AM
I've been working on the background for a character I might play in a future campaign, and, given her station, I thought it would be interesting to write it in epistolary form. So, here is the story of Adele Blanchart, told through the letters and documents of those who know her. Critiques and comments would be much appreciated.

P.S. Don't be frightened by the number of spoilers; most of the letters are quite short.

Letter from Lady Eda, Marchioness of Redmarch, to Absalom, former Wizard of the Crown
Spring, Year 1400
My dearest brother,

I feel so unforgivably inconsiderate that I have not written to you in--has it truly been two months? Bram has been so ill I have had to take over the running of the March. It is one thing, I suppose, to hear the plaints of the poor or the squabbling of merchants or even attend to the distasteful task of issuing judgment on a thief or brawler, but my husband's reeves believe that I am supposed to lay taxes and approve of plans for roads and buildings and, Dear Gods, Absalom, I am not made for this task. I know how Bram loves me, but he surely did not wed me for my ability to figures! I may be far lovelier than you, dear brother, but I have none of your intellect.

I wish I had the time to write to you about the gossip of dreary Redmarch (such as it is) or to pass along a pastry recipe I'd badgered from our cook, but I have barely the time to sleep. I must beg a favor of you. Adella will turn 17 in the summer, and I despair of finding her a husband. She is quite lovely, if inelegant, but she is the sort all men wish for a mistress and no one wishes for a daughter-in-law. She is quick--nearly as bright as you, in fact--and witty, and, when she wishes it, charming, but she is moody, cynical, and far too disobedient. Worst of all, she has none of the romantic ideas of love I had at her age and in fact disdains the concept. Not lust, of course--in that she revels far too much.

Before her father fell ill he had planted the idea in her head of entering the service of the King as a diplomat, but without his influence at court, that path is closed to her. With him in bed with fever, and her hopes of an independent life serving King and Country far from home dashed, she has become even worse, retreating to her chambers and the manor library and, I fear, carrying on an affair with a serving boy.

Despite all this, would you consider taking Adella as an apprentice? She is, as I said, quite bright, and is at least not averse to studying magic. I know your studies are expensive and we would, of course, pay for her upkeep and a considerable additional monthly sum to you. I would also be perfectly happy allowing you to put a charm or enchantment or whatever on her to make her more agreeable.

Be well, brother.
Eda

Letter from Absalom to Lady Eda
Spring, Year 1400
Dear Eda,

I am so sorry to hear about Bram's ill-health. I will write to the king's physician and the high priest of Helm. Both of them are dear friends, and I'm sure they will at least have some advice to help him.

As for Adella, of course I will accept her as my apprentice. When I visited last year we enjoyed several discussions on magic and politics. I would be quite happy to have her here to keep the cobwebs from filling my head, if for nothing else.

As for the issue of her liaisons with young men, I have developed a friendship with the local priest of Ilmater. He's very relaxed for a person of his faith, but has a quite moving sermon on the virtue of self-denial. I shall ask him to deliver a private performance. You will also be happy to know that there is no temple to Sharess within ten leagues of the city.

I look forward to seeing my niece again,
Absalom

P.S. I'm sorry about the scorch-marks and quicksilver stains--I hope it's not too unreadable. That damned cat has been doing his own experiments again and this is the only piece of parchment I could find that hasn't been incinerated, covered in equations and paw prints, or turned into some freakish origami butterfly golem.

Letter from Absalom to Lady Eda
Spring, Year 1406
Dear Eda,
I wanted to let you know that Adella is doing well in her studies. She has certain prejudices I am trying to stamp out, but we are making progress.

However, in the last month she has developed the habit of stealing various magic items. She insists she was only borrowing them, but the fact is I never get them back. Normally I wouldn't write about something so trivial, but last week she took--and apparently lost--a rather powerful and expensive ring that I now need to replace. We never discussed this when I agreed to care for Adella, but would you be able to send me the 4000 GP it will cost me to make another?

Your affectionate brother,
Absalom

Letter from Lord Gamwell, Eighth Marquis of Redmarch, to Absalom
Spring, Year 1406
Dear Uncle Absalom,
I was surprised to see your letter to mother. I had asked Adella to inform you that mother is not well enough to write. Father died two months ago and since then she has been barely able eat. The physicians say that she will recover from the shock, but she must have time. I know how much you mean to her and I hope you can visit when she is a little stronger.

As for Adella, I hope that her misbehavior is a reaction to our father's death. She was very close to him and has never dealt with loss well. I am enclosing the 4000 GP to replace the ring Adella stole. If you have any more problems with her, please let me know.

-Lord Gamwell

Letter from Lord Gamwell to Adella
Summer, Year 1406
Adella,
What in the name of Tyr's hand are you thinking? If you cannot behave like a proper lady, or at least like a wizard's apprentice, I will arrange for you to be married to that fat baron with the lazy eye.
-Gam

Missives between Operative "Crow" and intelligence headquarters
Summer, Year 1406
Crow: Have determined identity of magical adviser to rebel movement (codename: Silver) to be Absalom, former Wizard of the Court. Tipped off by apprentice. Trial would expose the crown and nobility to scandal. Recommend eliminating Silver.

Headquarters: Recommendation approved. eliminate Silver; do not raise local suspicions of Crown's involvement.

Crow: Elimination of Silver successful, laboratory destroyed with evidence planted to suggest dangerous experiment gone awry. Apprentice now in safehouse. Apprentice skilled in illusions. Recommend recruitment as operative.

Headquarters: Frame Apprentice for Silver's death. Will ensure verdict, transfer to training.

Letter from intelligence headquarters to Judge Edorat
Autumn, Year 1406
Enclosed is 15,000 GP for services rendered regarding Adella of Redmarch.

Note from Liam, Court Clerk, to Judge Edorat
Autumn, Year 1406
Gamwell, Eighth Marquis of Redmarch, visited me yesterday to discuss the imprisonment of his sister, Adella of Redmarch. He agrees that her crime was serious and does not wish to dispute your verdict, but suggests that his sister is not likely to commit further violence, and that her imprisonment would has greatly distressed the Dowager Marchioness of Redmarch, whose health is already fragile. He requests that his daughter be confined to his manorhouse in Redmarch for the duration of her sentence.

In my opinion, his request is reasonable. I have known the Marquis for some years and he is devoted to the rule of law and would ensure that his sister remains imprisoned. Additionally, if it is not presumptuous of me to mention, releasing Adella of Redmarch could potentially be politically adventageous to you. The Marquis is a rising star in His Majesty's court and would prove a valuable ally.

-Liam

Letter from Liam, Court Clerk, to Lord Gamwell
Winter, Year 1406
Dear Lord Gamwell,

I hope your return to Redmarch was not too onerous. I'm sorry, Gamwell, but Judge Edorat rejected your plea to have Adella serve her time in Redmarch. I'm not sure why, to be honest. Like I mentioned while you were here, it is entirely reasonable and entirely usual for a noblewoman to spend her gaol term confined to a temple or estate. You could potentially petition the King, but from what I hear, our beloved monarch is not the sort to hand out mercy just because a nobleman asks for it.

I'm so sorry,
Liam

Psychological and professional evaluation of Adella of Redmarch, candidate, by Glim Ghanel, healer of Intelligence services
Winter, Year 1406
History and personality assessment
The candidate is prone to mood swings and depression. She expresses considerable, but not unreasonable, grief regarding the loss of her father and little closeness to remaining family. She describes her brother as being distant and preoccupied with "trivialities" such as hunting, and her mother as "intellectually stifling," "insufferably conservative," and having "the soul of an idiot baboon in a porcelain doll." She likely will not have qualms about deep cover or other operations requiring isolation from family.

She is moderately introverted and not adept with social skills beyond flattery. Such inability is likely remediable, however. The candidate recalls having little contact with peers until the age of 16. At this point, she describes having a number of superficial affairs with little to no emotional attachment. She expresses some embarrassmet at her conduct at this time. With substantial remedial training, the candidate could become proficient at social manipulation.

The candidate has bonded with her former master's familiar, a cat named Rabbit, who appears to be a stabilizing influence despite reverting to intelligence normal for a housecat. Allowing Rabbit to remain with the candidate will likely help maintain stability and focus.

Skill assessment
The candidate has minor spellcasting ability, concentrated in Illusion, though little understanding of magical theory. Her intelligence suggests that she could be trained to be an adept caster, but her fear of corpses and her disdain for what she describes as "ostentatious hocuspocus" likely preclude training as a spellcaster. She has considerable skill at avoiding detection and could, with training, become a skilled infiltrator. Her poor eyesight, slight build, and mild haemophobia likely preclude wetwork.

The candidate's penmanship is atrocious. Training as a forger is not recommended.

Loyalty to crown
The candidate expresses strong loyalty to the crown and its laws and people. She shows no remorse for her role in the death of her uncle and believes it was necessary, if unfortunate and personally upsetting. She also expresses no qualms about misleading, lying, stealing, or torture so long as such acts benefit the kingdom, and her objection to killing is entirely borne from her haemophobia.

Her loyalty, however, is almost entirely intellectual and philosophical. She has little fondness for her noble family, few friends from the kingdom, and no patriotic fervor. Her loyalty could easily be broken or transfered by an argument she perceives as valid, though not by personal or sexual inducements or appeals of friendship. Her training should include inducements to friendship and/or romance with fellow operatives and should attempt to inspire some patriotic feeling.

Conclusion
Adella of Redmarch is an acceptable candidate for operative status, assuming recommended training is completed.

Missive from intelligence headquarters to Operative "Liontamer"
Spring, Year 1410
Congratulations on your graduation. Enclosed are funds and equipment. Establish cover as adventurer. Minimal backstory has been established: Adele Blancheart is suspected of (but not wanted for) theft in several towns and counties. The following operatives will corroborate story:

Bless Clarckson of Halepool
"Old Man Brand" of Halepool
Brin Whitehand of Shadowdale

Cover will not hold up to close scrutiny

Will contact with further instructions via Sending or written message with Arcane Mark.

Analytica
2011-07-05, 05:46 PM
I am curious, what of that ring?

Jeff the Green
2011-07-06, 03:43 AM
I am curious, what of that ring?

Hrrm... I hadn't seriously considered it. :smallredface: It was more of a throwaway line to emphasize the "misspent youth" and the "doesn't get along with her family" aspects of her history and character.

Given Absalom's predilection towards treason, I would say it was likely a Ring of Mind Shielding (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#mindShielding). Given that this is geared towards starting at Lv. 1-4, it would eat up too much of WBL to keep, so she really did misplace it.

Eric Tolle
2011-07-08, 03:49 AM
Not bad; I want to kill her already.

gibbo88
2011-07-08, 06:19 AM
I like it, its a good way of setting up a back story a bit different to a short-story.

Jeff the Green
2011-07-08, 09:18 AM
Not bad; I want to kill her already.

Um, okay. :smallconfused: Care to elaborate?