PDA

View Full Version : Sins of the Fathers - IC

Qualia
2011-07-04, 06:58 AM
“Be it so known that the bearer of this charter has been charged by the keeper of Castle Korvosa, acting for the greater good and with the authority vested upon him by the power of the Crimson Throne, to protect and preserve Korvosan holdings in the Bloodsworn Vale, and to re-open the trade routes through the region. The carrier of this charter should also strive against banditry and other unlawful behavior to be encountered.

So witnessed on this 24th day of Calistril, under the watchful eye of the Seneschal Neolandus Kalepopolis, and through the authority granted by his grace, King Eodred Arabasti, rightful ruler of the Crimson Throne."

‘Land, Gold, and Title.‘ Those are the things promised for taming the great swath of wilderness known as the Bloodsworn Vale, but so far, the journey there has been little more than hardship and boredom. As the miles roll past on the journey from Korvosa, and the Mindspin Mountains draw ever nearer, the company of merchants you travel with has grown steadily more subdued. Some even whisper that the vale is haunted or cursed. As you approach Icedeep Pass, the entrance to the Vale, the wagons pull up short to take in the view. Far in the distance, the ice-capped peaks of the Mindspin range are visible beyond a lush green wilderness. Below spreads a sea of leaves, broken only here and there by fields of blood-red roses. As you journey on to the end of the pass, you reach the merchant’s destination, the fortified keep known as Bastion, which stands as the gateway to the Vale. Above it‘s high stone walls, thin wisps of smoke twist into the air. The merchants mood lightens having reached their destination, for their journey is over - yours is just beginning.

Bastion
http://www.virtualsoapbox.net/thepastunravels/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/restwell-keep.jpg (Bastion)

Bloodsworn Vale
http://rpgwiki.org/images/6/6e/Bloodsworn_Vale_Map.PNG

Kon Lesh
2011-07-04, 11:49 AM
For the first day of the trip Zedel stays away from everyone else, just keeping to himself. Even when the first initial rumors begin to roll across the caravan, Zedel stays out of the conversations. But as the journey continues This is getting annoying. Most of these people have never even been in the Vale before. I wonder how they would act if they knew the truth.. On one night after having a few drinks, Zedel joins one of the camp fires and begins to tell them stories about his time at an outpost in the Vale. Ending with "...So as you can see there is nothing to worry about. And if there was I'm here to stop any problems and get back against those coward highwaymen."

Qualia
2011-07-04, 12:49 PM
Zedel attempts to reassure the party with a soldiers grace, and whilst he downplays the dangers of the Vale, the tales of bandit attacks, wild beasts, foul undead and faerie tricksters clearly spooks the merchants, feeding their fears, rather than calming then. "Rather you than me" is the general response, and a keen watch is kept that night. Clearly these merchants do not share your adventurous spirit.

stack
2011-07-04, 03:29 PM
Marcus, human ranger

Seeing the vale open before them, Marcus rests his lance across his saddle and takes a deep breath. He finally had the opportunity to prove himself that he had been long denied.

His armor was the black of the Sable Company he had longed to join his whole life. His brown hair and beard were kept short, having too often troubled him while riding. He sat upright in his saddle, confident and proud.

He pulls back on the reigns to check Lucky's motion, taking in the sight of the trees and fields. Then, seeing a gray streak go near his head, spurred forward, yelling, "Horus, DOWN! Heel! Stay away from that wagon!"

Why did I bring him?

Bhaakon
2011-07-04, 04:18 PM
They could be in eyesight even now, and I'd never know it, thinks Trig as he takes in the Vale. Hoping that he neared his goal, Trig had spent some time over the last few evenings canvasing the caravan for information on his quarry.

Suddenly Trig ducks out of the way of the disobedient young hippogriff. Some of these people secretly battle their inner demons, but the ranger's 'baggage' is obvious to all.

Conundrum
2011-07-04, 06:32 PM
Bimpwicket was already having second thoughts about this expedition. He cursed himself for not realizing that all the charter holders would be human - after all, the merchant he robbed to get his was human, too. And Bimpwicket hated humans.

However, he was committed now, so he needed to play nice, at least for a while. He didn't summon Tulio for the trip to the Vale, afraid that his Eidolon might betray his feelings towards his companions.

So he affected the "cheery-carefree-gnome" guise that he had practiced and perfected over years of blending in with human cities. If anyone asked what such a small, seemingly defenseless gnome was doing heading to a dangerous place like the Vale, he laughed it off, though he fumed inwardly - his height, short even for a gnome, had always been a sore spot. More than once he wished he could bring in Tulio for a bit of intimidation.

That hippogriff the ranger had was also proving to be a nuisance. Again, he swallowed his anger and instead reached out to the young creature, attempting to calm it down.

"Hey, Horus! Here boy! Come on, sit still for a moment!"

Handle Animal check to calm Horus down: [roll0]

Qualia
2011-07-05, 02:34 AM
The young hippogriff is always keen to play with new people, and wheels around to land with a thud beside Bimpwicket. Horus proffers it's beak, seeking a treat for performing a trick as one of the merchants shouts out a warning "Careful, that thing could take your hand off!"

Conundrum
2011-07-05, 04:05 AM
"Yeah, right!" Bimpwicket laughs, petting the creature's eagle-like head. "You didn't even do anything!"

He brushes his other hand through his spiky pink hair, and gives Marcus a helpless look. "I hope you keep an eye on your food around this one!"

He sends Horus back off towards the ranger, then his face turns serious. "So, what do we have to do in Bastion before setting off? No sense dilly-dallying, eh?"

Bhaakon
2011-07-05, 05:56 AM
"Get information," Trig deftly marks on his slate, "you'd rather wander the woods?" He quickly erases it with a rag and writes, "bandits probably have spies in town, we should find them."

stack
2011-07-05, 07:05 AM
Marcus hops off his horse next to Bimpwicket and pats the hippogriff on the shoulder.

"Thanks for the hand. I would hate to have to apologize to another merchant for spooking his horses, again. Horus wouldn't hurt anything, but he can be a handful, and most horses aren't accustomed to him."

He looks back over his new companions. The warriors seem solid. I should get along with them just fine. Can't really get a read on the bowman with the chalk board. Hopefully things won't be too awkward with the priest (though I did apologize about thinking he was a girl, I was only being friendly). Not sure what the gnome thinks of me, can't really read him. He's good with animals though, so he must be decent enough.

I wonder if he would be willing to help train Horus? Old Thistleseed was great with the young hippogriffs. Maybe its a gnome thing?

Addressing the quiet monk, "Spies in town or out won't matter. No way to hide this little caravan, and any stranger will be marked in the fort regardless."

jjj54
2011-07-05, 07:13 AM
Skalan, who had remained silent throughout much of their journey, chose to remain so. He had nothing to say to any of these tshamek. The fact that he was an outsider here as well did not manage to make it past the feelings of indignation swelling in his breast. Surely the the spirits had given him a vexing test.

But even as the mute continued his infernal scribbling, Skalan found his focus returning to the green land that spread around him. Despite the company and the situation, Skalan took heart that, at long last, his quest was finally in motion again.

King Tius
2011-07-05, 08:01 AM
Aurelius Stormscale
The young man in well-polished mail rides his horse with perfect posture. The slight scowl on his face is difficult to read. Is he squinting against the midday sun? Or perhaps it is simply his disdain for the world around him that causes him to look so....stuck up. While the lad does not go out of his way to strike up conversations, he is pleasant enough to talk to once approached. At night with the merchants he becomes even more animated, sharing stories he's heard from the sailors on his father's ships. Though he had not experienced them himself, Aurelius proved to have a great number of merchant tales concerning far away lands and the perils of the sea.

Bhaakon
2011-07-05, 07:22 PM
As the merchants reach their destination, Trig pulls one aside and queries, "who is in charge of the castle, and where can we find them?"

Kon Lesh
2011-07-05, 09:53 PM
Honestly, these merchants are cowards. At least some of these people arn't that bad. Hell, some of these people actually seem useful, even if odd. Zedel spends the rest of the trip watching and getting to know other people.

Arriving at Bastion Finally back. Time to get to work. Right after a small ale run...Wonder what that idiot of a commander will think about seeing me again? Snickering slightly as he enters into Bastion.

Qualia
2011-07-06, 03:40 AM
The merchant speaks slowly to Trig, still unsure how to speak to the mute monk, almost as if the disability was mental, rather then physical. “Commander Cayden rules the keep and commands the Bloodthorn Rangers. His quarters are in the inner bailey.” As the wagons roll up to the gates of the keep, they are waved through by two guards, clad in the green surcoats of the Bloodthorn Rangers. The shorter of the two is chatting in an animated fashion to his companion, who is leaning against the wall, a bored expression on his face as he examines his fingernails.

The wagons enter a stabled area, where a balding dwarf with gold teeth quickly enters into a deep discussion with the lead merchant Jirrath, ushering him into his office whilst several smaller dwarfs bring food and water to the horses. The sweet smell of manure brings a tear to your eye as you trudge through the steaming straw.

The wagoneers leave the merchant to his haggling and pass through into the outer bailey, keen to take their ease in the tavern. As you follow them into the keep, you see a tall woman with broad shoulders hammering horseshoes over her forge, the loud clanking of metal audible over the raised voices of an argument between a aged Tien native and a bearded fur clad trapper, haggling over prices. You almost trip over a small child in a red cloak who races through your group, her mother’s plaintive cries of “Kendra! Kendraaa!” clearly to no avail.

Through the entrance of a colourful Varisian tent, you spy an old woman performing a Harrow reading, before the loud mewling of a cat grabs your attention as it flees the tender ministrations of a 12 year old boy with malice in his eyes and a stick in his hand. As he catches your eye, he scowls before looking for something else to torment.

A cheet from your companions for the last week alerts you that they have reached their destination, the Broken Blade tavern, clearly identified by the smell of stale beer and tobacco, as well as the faded sign hanging from above it’s door. As the wagoneers enter through the door to slake their thirst, you take in the view of the last bastion of civilization between Varisia and the Bloodsworn Vale.

jjj54
2011-07-06, 05:17 AM
While the merchant babbled, Skalan took note of the commander's name and what he commanded, since confusion over the two only lead to trouble. Within moments though, those facts were far from his mind as he was assaulted by the sights and sounds (and unfortunately smells) of "civilization." Being away from Korvosa on this long trek he had not missed it. At least it wasn't as pronounced as the seat of the Crimson Throne.

Taking a drink from his waterskin to sooth the growing dryness in his throat, Skalan turned to his fellow charter holders and broke his silence.

"Let's find this Commander Cayden and be done with these bandits, the sooner the better."

Bhaakon
2011-07-06, 05:46 AM
"Better to ask around town before we get pegged as Cayden's allies," Trig shakes a cramp out of his wist, wishing for a fleeting moment that he could curse allowed, then continues. "That trapper probably knows the vale well, maybe a few pints, or coins, will loosen his tongue."

Conundrum
2011-07-06, 06:04 AM
"I agree with Scribbly," Bimpwicket chimed in, still bemused by the monk's... unique method of communication. "Depending on this Cayden's attitude, we could be more likely to get useful information from unbiased locals who venture into the wilderness more often."

Not waiting for a reply, the gnome hopped, skipped and jumped towards the arguing pair. If possible, his demeanor seemed to brighten even more.

"What seems to be the problem here, gents?" he asked, flashing them his most disarming smile.

stack
2011-07-06, 06:57 AM
Marcus

Marcus was pleased to have a safe plac e to rest before setting out and glad he would no longer have to deal with the merchant's complaints.

Joining the present discussion:
"Why not be seen as the commander's allies? We are. Give the bandits something to worry about." Realizing that the others may not share his straight-forward view, "Or not, if you are too concerned. Either way, I'm going to go scare a stable-master senseless and then get fleeced for boarding two quiet, trouble-free beasts." He smiles and starts to turn for the stables.

"Meet you in the tavern in a few, order one for me!"

Do we get a chit or anything to cover our board while in the fort, as we are on the kings business?

Qualia
2011-07-06, 08:52 AM
In reply to Bimpwicket’s cheery question, the trapper spins round and spits out “None of ya business short stuff.” Meanwhile, the Tien merchant throws up his hands “ This gaijin think he can rob me in own shop. I offer good price and he try to steal from me. He no find better price in all Bastion.” At this, the trapper spins back and prods a finger in the merchant’s chest. “Ptah! Yer callin’ me a thief? Yer got sum nerve Ling, but anyone can see that when ya try to charge two gold fer a length of rope. Why I oughta string yer up with it.”

----

As Marcus makes his way back to the stables, he can see a man ordering some porters around as they unload the wagons with much groaning. When one man slips in the straw and drops his load, spilling vegtables, the oversee explodes with a furious tirade of expletives “Glaysa take your eyes, you incompetent son of a dretch! Do you think that Morgrym will pay full price for damaged goods? That thrice damned dwarf is always looking for an excuse to shortchange someone. Pick it all up and clean it up before I have you fed to the horses.” He turns away, shaking his head and spots the ranger standing there. You can see he holds a small posy over his nose, and is well dressed in the blue raiments of a courtier, although they look a little used. He has two small horns protruding from his curly red hair, and his green eyes have catlike slits. He quickly smiles, and you can see his teeth are pointed, like a sharks. He removes the flowers, and strides confidently towards you.

“I’m so sorry you had to see that sir, good help is so hard to find out here at the edge of civilization. Are you the owner of that magnificent stallion I see over there.” He points towards Lucky. “I can see you are a gentleman with an eye for quality, so good to meet you.” He extends a hand, as he continues on with his patter, “Please allow me to introduce myself, I am Thalassinus Veshkovia, master of these stables, and I would be more than willing to provide the very best care for your faithful steed, at a more than reasonable rate - shall we say one gold per day, and that will obviously include both oats and fruit. One cannot scrimp with such a fine specimen?”

Bhaakon
2011-07-06, 09:36 AM
That mountain man doesn't strike me as the literate type, thinks Trig as he tries to get a read on the trapper and trader, best let the ankle-biter do the talking.

[roll0] sense motive check to discern honesty/deception.

Qualia
2011-07-06, 10:35 AM
@Trig

This is bartering, rather than a full fledged argument. Ling, the merchant, almost seems to be enjoying this, whilst the trapper seems to be a little curmudgeonly.

stack
2011-07-06, 10:37 AM
Marcus

Trying to hide his discomfort at the man's demonic features, Marcus answers, "Greetings. Lucky here is indeed mine. I don't intend to stay long, but will require your services. I'll give you one gold a night for the both of my beasts."

He whistles and calls, "Horus, to me!" The hippogriff bounds around the corner, half jumping and half gliding next to his master.

"I'm sure the proprietor of such a fine establishment will have no difficulty with the accommodations. He's no trouble, never eats anyone unless he's told too," he says with a smile, "the hippogriff is alright too,". He starts leading his little circus toward the stable, pretending that no more negotiation is necessary. All three stroll with heads held high in possibly unwarranted self-assurance, making a comical scene.

Qualia
2011-07-06, 12:44 PM
The tiefling has a sharp intake of breath as sees the hippogriff bound into sight, but attempts to cover his surprise with a fake cough. He laughs politely at your joke and responds as you walk towards the stables. "Oh do please excuse me, what a fantastic creature - such magnificent plumage and a noble bearing." He quickly catches up with you as you head to the stables. "As you have so astutely observed, I do indeed offer a discount for multiple mounts, but sadly this does depend on the horses sharing a stable, as I am sure you are aware, it is not prudent to stable horses and hippogriff's together. Now as luck would have it, I do have a seperate stable that I reserve for more exotic beasts, and I am sure that I will be able to accomodate your hippogriff, although obviously I will need to make some alterations to ensure its suitability. Now for the honour of housing a creature as noble as yours, I would be willing to do so at cost, but sadly many of the merchants here are quick to artificially inflate their prices, so I am afraid that the necessary changes will cost ..." he makes some calculations in his head before licking his lips "...35 silver, and then add stabling costs of 20 silver, I'm sure we can provide all your needs for, say 5 gold." He waves a hand towards the stables. "I'm so glad that's agreed, we can stable Lucky now ..." he turns and whistles, imitating a songbirds call with expert ability, causing a small dwarf to run up to him, though he takes several steps backwards when he spies Horus. "Unfortunately, it will take about an hour to prepare the pen, so we will have to chain the hippogriff here until then." He takes a half-step towards Horus, then pauses as he eyes the sharp beak and turns back to you, a twinkle in his eye. "Perhaps you would like to do the honours."

Kira_the_5th
2011-07-06, 02:31 PM
Lance

So many people here... the young cleric thought as he walked with his companions. He'd not said much in the travels, prefering to stay alone and think. Perhaps there's a hospital or infirmiry somewhere, that I can maybe be a little help. "Excuse me?" Lance asks quietly to the first person he sees walking by. "Could you direct me to the infirmiry?"

stack
2011-07-06, 02:56 PM
"They get along just fine, but I appreciate your diligence. Unfortunately my resources are rather tied up in gear, so perhaps we would be better served sleeping under the stars. We are well accustomed to it." He turns, leading Lucky away at a deliberate pace. Horus bounds over to the dwarf, sitting in front of him, beak open wide for a treat.

Maybe once we've cleared out these bandits I won't have to haggle every time I want to sleep in a bed! Five gold for one night's stabling, ridiculous. I hope the others have found better welcome. Eh, walk slow, wait for the counter-offer.

Qualia
2011-07-06, 03:46 PM
“Infirmawhat? “ the swarthy Varisian stands staring blankly at you, his dirty hands scratching his chin. “Sorry luv’ ain’t got a clue wotcha on about.” He shrugs and turns to leave as tall man with pale skin and close cropt black hair, speckled with the first flecks of silver, approaches. He wears smart black robes with silver trim, and he rests his hand upon a silver snake topped cane. “Sorry about the locals, no real education. The keep has no infirmary as such, Seeboebil the gnome produces some healing ungents and suchlike” he gestures towards a small outbuilding with a red door, “whilst Czigani can provide several holy sacraments, such as they are.” he indicates the Broken Blade tavern. “I see you are a servant of the Dawnflower.” he nods towards your holy symbol. “If you seek to open a temple here, I’m afraid you may find your parishioners a little on the fickle side. You don’t seem the sort to join the Rangers, but they do attract a …wide array of talent.” He has a disarming smile, but you can sense he doesn’t have the highest opinion of the Bloodthorn Rangers. “Can I ask what brings you to the back of beyond?”

----

The dwarf stares at Horus, his eyes wide with fear, and he’s barely able to contain his shaking. He slowly reaches for a pocket as Horus watches his every movement, keenly following his movements. He slowly produces an apple and rolls it towards Horus, a pleading smile plastered on his face. The hippogriff watches the apple, then looks back at the dwarf, who whimpers.

As this scene plays out, a half-smile plays across Thalassinus’ features as he watches Marcus lead Lucky away. “I admire a gentleman who is not afraid to admit to weakness, it shows a strong sense of character. While sir obviously knows best, I could not in good conscience allow you to sleep under the stars while ogres, leopards and worse prowl these mountains. Perhaps, as a favour to me, you would consider stabling your steed here, in the common area.” He raises the posy to his nose before continuing “I can perhaps house the hippogriff in a kennel in order to save you some expense, but even then, I cannot charge you less than 20 silver total.”

Conundrum
2011-07-06, 05:03 PM
Bimpwicket's face turns dark when the trapper calls him "short-stuff", and he fumes silently, fighting with his anger as the two continue to argue. Finally he manages to force a smile again, though it is very strained. He makes a mental note to make the bearded one pay, if he gets the chance.

"Seems t'me like a case of good-natured bargaining, friend. Don't know why you're getting all worked up about it. If'n you don't mind me asking, you seem like you might know a thing or two about this here Vale. Mind if I ask you a few questions? My companions and I are planning to head out there to deal with some bandits."

stack
2011-07-06, 07:33 PM
Marcus

Marcus lets out a quiet sigh of relief. He had not relished the thought of staying outside in unfamiliar territory with no one else to take watch. His patience for haggling had also run out. We are to save them from bandits, yet they would rob us before the bandits have a chance.

Turning back to the stable master, "Thank you. I shall remember your consideration."

"Horus, heel! Please show me to the kennels, I fear Horus would cause some stir if he stayed at my side as I explore the fort." He reaches into his money bag and produces the agreed fee. "One now, one in the morning. I will be leaving early, I suspect," dropping the second coin back in.

Kon Lesh
2011-07-06, 07:58 PM
Zedel watches as everyone goes about doing their own things. He considers momentarily whether or not to join anyone else in their questionings. Or maybe even seek a harrow reading. Haven't had one in years. Then he hears Marcus's suggestion of meeting in the tavern. Well, it would be rude if no one was there when he gets there. I think I'm going to like this ranger. Zedel heads to the tavern orders a drink and takes an empty table.

jjj54
2011-07-07, 01:28 AM
Scattered like flecks of ash in the wind... Skalan mused as he watched his companions scatter, his advice to consult the commander unheard or unheeded. Unwilling to roam the area like a brain blighted auroch, charging at everything that happened across his path, the thundercaller instead follows Zedel into the tavern and takes a seat at the man's table, declining any drink offered him.

Qualia
2011-07-07, 04:45 AM
The trapper turns back to Bimpwicket, a scowl on his face. “I ain’tcha friend, an’ I don’t care fer yer opinion in a matter that don’t have nuthin’ ta do wit’ yer. If yer want mah help, then yer gonna hav’ ter pay fer it.” He spins back to Ling, “An don’t think I’ve finished wit’ yer neither Po …” “"Finished with me, you no start yet Fulgrim. You make sensible offer, then we start, otherwise you be off.”

- - -

The tiefling claps his hands together as the deal is agreed. “I am most obliged to you good sir, you may trust that your faithful steed and .. Horus .. will be in the best of hands.” He turns to address the dwarf in a quick low voice, the smooth salesman’s patter vanished. “Zefira, fetch a rabbit for the hippogriff …” noticing the blank expression on the dwarf’s face he points at Horus, before turning back to Marcus “So sorry, kids today, what can you do?” A flash of anger seems to cross his face and he turns back to the still stationary dwarf “NOW Zefira!” Pointing to a small wooden kennel that is someway past its best days, but should at least keep the worst of the weather out he motions for you to continue. “I shall of course have one of my assistants provide fresh straw, and I will await your return on the morrow.”

- - -

As Zedel and Skalan step through the swing doors of the Broken Blade, their noses are assaulted by the stench of stale beer and sweat. As their eyes acclimatize to the light, they see several rough wooden tables dot the hall whilst a ramshackle bar stands opposite the door. Above the bar hangs a broken rapier, and along the walls hang various momentos including a Shoanti death mask, an effigy of hair and twigs, stained with blood, an Ogre hook, and the head of a Tatzelwyrm. The wagon crew have taken a table, and are raising their glasses with some frequency as a young girl in a yellow dress keeps them topped up. She’s flirting with them as she flicks her hair and laughs at their jokes, while man in a simple brown tunic sits up at the bar. His brown hair is receeding, but he has a broad smile on his face, and as he sees you take a table he shouts out a greeting. "Welcome friends, what can I get you?“

stack
2011-07-07, 06:57 AM
Marcus

Having finally made stabling arrangements, Marcus turns and heads toward the tavern, sword at his side and shield slung on his back. I hope the tavern is cheaper than the stable. Maybe I should have gotten Horus a room there?

He takes in the room as his eyes adjust, spotting his companions. He smiles and the barmade as calls for ale as he sits, leaning his red and black shield on his chair.

"Sorry about that, stabling can be obnoxious. Any word on where to find the commander? Are the others meeting us here?"

Conundrum
2011-07-07, 09:22 AM
Finally unable to control his anger, Bimpwicket turns and storms off towards the tavern. Typical bloody humans, he rages inwardly. Only ever care about themselves! Screw all this "being nice" junk... tomorrow, I'll let Tulio do the talking for me.

He slams open the door of the tavern and glares around. He goes straight up to the bar and pulls up a stool, making a point of not looking at the table where his friends are seated. He didn't trust himself to go sit with them in a mood like this.

"Gimme a drink," he says to the bartender, all pretense of cheer gone. "Something strong."

Qualia
2011-07-07, 10:50 AM
The barman takes one look at you, and quickly decides humour is the wrong tack to take. He turns round and examines his wares and you over a whispered prayer 'in wine their is wisdom, in beer there is freedom' before tapping a small cask. You spy the label which reads 'Hrak - Strong Dwarven Ale.' While he waits for it to settle, he pulls out a tankard and cleans it thoroughly with a dark red towel. He slowly and carefully pours you a glass of a dark ale that looks thick enough to stand a spoon up in, before settling it before you. "Maybe this will take the edge off."

Bhaakon
2011-07-07, 12:15 PM
Annoyed by his fellow charter holders' speedy retreat into the tavern, Trig fishes a pair of gold pieces from his money pouch quickly spells out his offer for the trapper and the merchant (in case the former can't read it), "I'll buy you your length of rope if you'll give me a useful lead."

[roll0] sense motive to discern if his info is truthful, or detect how steadfast he is on any counter offer

Kon Lesh
2011-07-07, 12:53 PM
To the man at the bar "A Hrak to start with. And another for my...What do you mean you don't want one? Skalan, a little drink has never hurt anyone. Alright, just a single then barkeep." When he receives his drink, Zedel takes a large gulp and then only smaller drinks then out."Refreshing"

To Marcus when he joins"No idea where he is but the fool would probably make us leave immediately if he knew we were here. Probably yell about how late we are. So just sit and relax some. There will be little of it when we are in the Vale instead of Bastion. Hehe, yeah the price of everything. It can be crazy. So happy that I was able to get everything thaCURSE IT!!! I forgot to get mi'self a bow. At least we have some people here that have them."

stack
2011-07-07, 01:48 PM
Marcus

Waving his tankard vaguely toward the door, "Doubt he would send us out before morning. Maybe we out to look for him once we've had a drink, given the others a chance to check in with whatever they found."

Conundrum
2011-07-07, 05:02 PM
Bimpwicket takes a long draft from the tankard, and his scowl softens slightly. "Ahhhh, Hrak," he sighs. "A liquid dinner always cheers me up."

As if realising he was talking to himself, he looks around quickly to make sure noone noticed.

jjj54
2011-07-07, 06:48 PM
Skalan preferred to keep his senses about him for the time being. He'd celebrate once there was a reason to do so. Considering the surroundings, and the death mask in particular, he did not feel at ease here. If anything, these walls suggested trophies, which meant that a cousin had died before his mask became one.

While there was no love lost between the Sklar-Quah and the other Quahs, they were still family, and family must be avenged. While he stared at the mask he tried to puzzle out to whom this particular mask had belonged.

Qualia
2011-07-08, 06:14 AM
@Trig
The trapper either can’t read, or isn’t interested in your slate, but the merchant is able to discern your scribblings. “Fulgrim, this man say he buy you rope, you give him lead.” The trappers brow furrows as he considers the offer, whilst Ling looks on hopefully. The moments seem to drag on until finally Fulgrim nods his head. “Ya got yourself a deal, so whatcha wanna‘ know?” You see a flicker of dissapoint across the face of the Tian merchant as he holds his hand out for his money. “Two gold. Very good rope. Very strong.” He turns and calls into his shop, with a rapid stream of what you think must be Tien. A couple of minutes a girl of about 17 appears, struggling under the weight of a basket that is filled with rope. Short and slight, she is under 5’ tall with large almond shaped brown eyes and long black hair. Ling Po issues another stream of Tien as the girl places the basket down in front of you. She briefly looks up at you, then quickly looks away, her cheeks flashing red with embarrassment as Ling Po orders her back inside.

Spotting an opportunity, Po makes you an offer “You want I read your questions to Fulgrim? Two Copper!” After a price is agreed, you ask the trapper about the bandits and he relays some information whilst chewing on a some dirty black leaves, pausing regularly to spit out a black spew. “All manner o’ folk in the Vale, mebbe your bandits are among ‘em. Several thieves n’ murderers, sure enough, but the Vale’s a wild place, n’ has a taste fer blood. Pack of ‘em holed up in sum ol’ outpost near the river. I steer clear of ‘em but could be yer boys.”

You don’t detect that he’s lying, he seems more the sort to say nothing rather than tell a lie.

---

@ Skalan
The mask is an old one, looks like it dates back to the Everwar, when the Chelaxian‘s first invaded the Shoanti homelands. The runes mark it as belonging to Galstack Twicedead of the Skoan-Quah.

---

You take your ease for an hour or so, and the tavern slowly fills up. A long haired Varisian enters, carrying a lute, and after a little tuning, starts to play some old Varisian folk tunes. The wagoneers begin to sing along, and even shout out some requests, which the bard happily obliges. A young dwarf boy starts to build a fire as more people begin to enter, the long day of work now behind them. A halfling starts up a game of Towers with a couple of porters, whilst a barefoot half-elf and goatskin clad girl engage in a game of darts. A small group gathers to watch as the broad shouldered smith starts to armwrestle a shaven headed wagoneer whilst a goateed man with Sczarni tattoos, fingering a well worn necklace of beads, takes bets. As you sit there, the barmaid brings you a fresh round of drinks “courtesy of Eudonius.” - she indicates a man standing by the bar, dressed in the Taldorian style with a neatly trimmed beard. He smiles and nods at you, raising a silver goblet.

stack
2011-07-08, 07:05 AM
Marcus

"I believe that man is due a thanks for this round. Can't abuse hospitality." Starting to stand, then pausing, knowing his social skills were not to par with his upbringing, "Where did our paladin friend get off to, he would likely be useful around all these people?"

Ah well, strolling over and standing near the bar, to Eudonius,"Thank you kindly for the drink. I'm Marcus."

Bhaakon
2011-07-08, 05:50 PM
Trig gladly hands over the money for Fulgrim's rope, then wanders off to the tavern to find his companions. Unsure where the keep gets its water, he manages to order a small beer with a few gestures, then shares his information with the group.

Upon receiving his free drink, Trig raises his tankard and nods towards Eudonius in a gesture of thanks. However, he watches warily for the man's response to Marcus's introduction. The cat is out of the bag, I suppose. I wonder who he's working for.

Kon Lesh
2011-07-08, 08:29 PM
Nice fellow. I wonder what he wants from us. Zedel watches Marcus go over to Eudonius. When Marcus is half way there Zedel gives off a little sigh, takes a drink, and begins to walk over himself. "And I am Zedel. Thanks for the brew."

Qualia
2011-07-09, 05:23 AM
Eudonius, a well manicured man stands to greet you, and as you get close, you catch the strong scent of cinnamon scented cologne. “Tho good to meet you all. I’m Eudoniuth, a reprethentative of Houth Arkona. We are very keen to thee the road through the Vale opened up, and tho I’m willing to offer thum thmall amount of athithtance to you in thith endeavour. If there ith anyth ing you need, pleath don’t hethitate to contact me.” Up close, you can see that the beard partially disguises his almost complete lack of chin. He offers a handshake, and you are surprised by just how limp it is.

stack
2011-07-09, 08:23 AM
Marcus

Stiffling a grimace at the man's manner and handshake, Marcus says, "If you have any information regarding the vale we would be most grateful."

Reward? Our charter is its own reward. But I suppose many will be grateful if we succeed. May as well get used too it. Can't give special consideration though.

Qualia
2011-07-09, 09:28 AM
“Glad to be of athithtance Marcuth. Ath I’m thure you know, the Vale was uthed by Chelax to open up all of Varithia thome 300 yearth ago, and quickly became a major trade route.” His face falls slightly as he continues, “Thadly, it fell into dithuthe during the Chelith Thival War and wath reclaimed by the wild. Now all manner of creature roamth here, along with thieveth and bandith. We have been prething the Crown to clear the road and reopen trade routeth for thome time, but alath, Commander Cayden and his Rangerth have proved leth than thatithfactory, holed up here in their Keep rather than prething on into the Vale.” His face brightens as he goes on “Thtill, we have high hopeth for your endeavourth. When you cleared the road, we can thtrengthen the bridgeth and perhapth build a dock to thtart thending thipth down the river to Nidal. Great profith can be made for everyone involved.“ He lets out a little fake sounding laugh and raises his glass for a toast.

jjj54
2011-07-09, 02:49 PM
Skalan gave a small prayer under his breath for the spirit of the fallen cousin. It was a small wonder that the mask had lasted this long in the care of these people. His thoughts were interrupted, however, by a lisping man, weak chinned man. Skalan simply stared at his drink while Marcus went up to talk to him. He was thankful for that. Dealing with the dainty airs of this tshamek would have been a little much for him to bear.

Kon Lesh
2011-07-09, 04:23 PM
A river outpost. So they can build a port! How I wish that paladin was here. Need a sailor's opinion on the matter.

"Building a port in the Vale. Well, that would be a lot of work. Even after our work is done with all of the highwaymen and monsters in the Vale. We don't even know where any of them are or how they are organized. It might be awhile if we have to search for everything. A bit of information about those thieves or some of the beasts might help speed it up.

Bhaakon
2011-07-09, 05:46 PM
Trig scribbles, "clearing the old outpost near the river the tracker mentioned would be a start." The thinks for a second, leaving a white chalk smudge on his chin as he scratches it absentmindedly,"If we can take it back from the bandits, perhaps we can convince the commander to station some of his rangers there." He erases and continues, "or use it as our own base of operations."

stack
2011-07-09, 08:02 PM
Marcus

Marcus raises his tankard in return, thankful for the information, but hoping for more about the bandits and wishing to get away from the lisping man.

"Thank you for your help. If there is nothing else you can tell us, perhaps we should speak to the captain?" He turns to his companions questioningly.

Bhaakon
2011-07-09, 08:12 PM
Trig raises an eyebrow as he returns Marcus's gaze. Captain?

Conundrum
2011-07-09, 08:39 PM
Bimpwicket listens in on the conversation from a little way down the bar with curiosity. However, when Marcus attempts to finish the conversation, he downs the rest of his drink and moves over to join the group.

"Hang on a second, Marcus," he says, giving Eudonius a suspicious look. "So, you're not affiliated with the Crimson Throne; nor, presumably, with Commander Cayden. Therefore you have nothing to do with our charter. Who exactly are House Arkona, what interest do you have in seeing the trade route opened, and why should we trust you?"

Useless humans, can't even ask the obvious questions. If you want something done right...

Qualia
2011-07-10, 01:59 PM
"Well Zedel", Eudonius smiles, "I will thee what I can find out for you. I have theen a number of reporth on the Vale." His tongue pokes out of the side of his mouth as he wracks his memory. "Of courth, there are many thtorieth of the unquiet dead, ghothth of the Everwar.Theveral tribeth of Ogre-kin rethide in the Mindthpin Mountainth, and they thometimeth wander down into the Vale." He shudders as he mentions the next thing, "Thpiderth! All manner of creeply crawly, urgh!" He takes a small sip from his drink, as if to cleanse the very taste of the word out of his mouth. "Finally, there are goblinth, a loathome menace that theemth to crop up everywhere."

Having finished dredging his memory, he moves to reassure Zedel on the matter of the Port. "Pleathe don't worry yourthelf on account of the Port, Houth Arkona will help cover the expenth onth you are cleared the Vale."

He raises his glass again in another attempt to get you to join his toast, a weak smile on his lips when Blimpwicket jumps into the conversation. His smile becomes fixed as he slips into a spiel he seems to have delivered many times.

"Houth Arkona are one of the greath houtheth of Korvotha, and our fortuneth are interlinked. What benefith Korvotha, benefith Arkona, and tho we theek our mutual benefit. We hath trading partnerth all acroth the Inner Thea, and theek only to thtrengthen thoth tieth."

Bhaakon
2011-07-10, 05:43 PM
As Eudonius answers the gnome's questions, Trig tries to get a read on the odd man.

[roll0] sense motive to get a hunch on Eudonius's trustworthiness

Qualia
2011-07-10, 06:02 PM
@Trig

Eudonius is trying to get you onside and there is a vein of truth running through everything he has said, but he seems to be holding some thing(s) back.

Conundrum
2011-07-10, 08:05 PM
"That's all well and good," Bimpwicket continues, "but you've neatly sidestepped perhaps my most important question. Why should we trust you? Especially since you clearly have ulterior motives here. You freely admit that you work to benefit your House, and those interests may not necessarily coincide with ours."

Qualia
2011-07-11, 04:19 AM
As Blimpwicket makes his interruption, you see something flash across Eudonius’ face, though whether it is anger, respect or interest you can’t be sure. "Thorry, I didn’t catch your name.” He pauses for a reply before continuing. “You raithe a good point, everyone hath their own intereth, even amongtht your group. However, in thith matter you may be reathured, Houth Arkona hath the same goal ath you, the Vale cleared and the routeth through it open for trade. Allow uth to help you help uth.”

As he finishes his point you hear a loud cheer from the armwrestling table. The brawny smith has defeated the wagoneer, and his colleagues chide him for 'losing to a woman' several locals collect their winnings from the bookie. The smith downs her drink, then stares around the room for any other challengers.

Bhaakon
2011-07-11, 05:49 AM
"My name is Trig. It is well that we wish to offer aid, because the Crimson Throne sent some of us with little more than the clothes on our back." Trig glances at Marcus, and the golden spoon in his mouth.

"I hear there is a bandit outpost near the river, which could do much to hinder your project." More hurried erasing, "perhaps you'd offer some much needed equipment to help us help you clear it."

Qualia
2011-07-11, 06:53 AM
Eudonis watches Trig's writings with interest. "Good to meet you Trig. You gentleman theem well armed and armoured, but if there ith anything elthe you need pleathe let me know and I'll thee what I can arrange." He smiles weakly.

stack
2011-07-11, 07:15 AM
Marcus sits and listens to the continued questioning, then hearing the offer for more aid interjects, ''Maps, do you have any good maps?"

jjj54
2011-07-11, 07:23 AM
Skalan snorted quietly, as much at Trig's attempt at bargaining and at Eudonis' response. The fop was right, they were well armed and armored. Asking for more was just greed. Besides, Skalan thought, it would be a cold day in hell before I would ask for help from this devil loving, land stealing, Chel.

Moments later he witnessed the victory of the blacksmith and met her challenging eyes. The shaven man certainly looked like no cub. Intrigued, Skalan left the table of his companions and strode confidently up to he table and sat in the former challenger's seat. Perhaps it was a sense of nostalgia for the games of strength played back in his home, but he felt compelled to answer her unspoken challenge.

Conundrum
2011-07-11, 10:26 AM
"I didn't give it," Bimpwicket says in response to Eudonius' query about his name. "It's Bimpwicket." He then pauses to listen to the rest of the man's explanation.

"Well, I still don't like it, and I still don't like you," he says finally. "But Marcus is right. A map could be useful. I personally wouldn't mind a little extra payment, too - after all, we're doing you a favour, right?"

Diplomacy, I guess: [roll0]

Qualia
2011-07-11, 04:15 PM
The smith looks Skalan up and down with an appraising look as the Shoanti steps up to accept her challenge. A hush falls over the assembled crowd at the sight of the burn scars that wash over his ruddy skin and the tattooed white flames that leap from them, but that quickly devolves into a frenzy of whispered chatter as they debate the newcomers chances. Odds are given and coins begin to change hands at an alarming rate.

- - -

Eudonius studies Bimpwicket’s face as the gnome delivers his forthright response, before turning back to Marcus, but his professional smile never disappears. “Well Bimpwicket, I hope that, in time, we can become friendth. Ath for ath mapth goeth, I’m afraid that there are no up to date mapth of the Vale at the moment, but I do have an older one which thows the old routeth. If you call on me in the morning, I thall endeavour to dig it out for your peruthal."

As he finishes his reply, a man bearing the mark of the Scarzni siddles up to you, a friendly smile on his goateed face. “’Ello gents, fancy a bit of a flutter. Yor Shoanti ain’t no berk, an’ no mistake. Strong as a fire giant I’ll bet. I’ll give ya two to one if you want to drop some jink on ‘im, less ya fink ‘e ain’t got wot it takes to beat a skirt." He raises an eyebrow with his challenge as he awaits your response.

- - -

As Skalan sits down and locks hands with the broad shouldered smith, she locks him with a firm gaze. "By Abadar's key, you're a big boy ain'tcha, but I've beaten bigger n' uglier than you, tho' you look like you were sired by Socothbenoth. I bend steel every day boy, an' I'll bend you too. Many a skum stained whoreson has tried ta best me, but I've beaten 'em all.."

Skalan

This is a minigame - you can attempt a skill check of some sort to gain a psychological edge, if you wish, then we do a best of 5 strength test, so I'll need 5 rolls. If anyone wants to try to aid him (aid another - let me know what you want to try) they can. Any questions, let me know.

BTW - can you give me a Will save before we start

stack
2011-07-11, 07:08 PM
Marcus

Marcus furrows his brow and looks at the woman, "You know, I think doing that repeatedly could seriously damage your wrists."

heal to aid another [roll0]

jjj54
2011-07-12, 08:06 AM
Skalan's muscles tense as he settles into his grip with the blacksmith. From her word, she sounded like a competent opponent for this test, but he had words of his own as well. Now he'd use them as he returned her firm gaze with one of his own.

"It's good that you can bend metal. Perhaps you will prove a greater challenge than many other tshamek I have faced. But I have seen steel run like water from ember winds and some of my kinsmen shatter a sword with their bare hands. Steel doesn't fight back, not like I will."

Will save [roll0]

Going with Intimidate to gain the edge, as it seems appropriate [roll1]

Strength rolls:
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Conundrum
2011-07-12, 09:17 AM
Bimpwicket sighs at Eudonius, and mutters under his breath, "Can't even scrounge up a decent map for us..." Then he glances towards Skalan. "I'd be more likely to bet against that chump."

With that out of the way, he returns to his stool and orders another drink.

Kon Lesh
2011-07-12, 10:56 AM
Zedal gives most of his attention listening to Eudonius. But when the bookie comes over though, Zedel ignores both Eudonius and the bookie and walks close to the table. "YEAH! WWWOOOOOOO!!!! LET'S SEE A WIN HERE! COME ON AND THROW THE PERSON OFF THE TABLE! YEAH!" Zedel continues to give more such statements which do not prefer Skalan or the blacksmith.

Bhaakon
2011-07-12, 05:30 PM
Trig rolls his eyes and returns to his drink.

Qualia
2011-07-13, 04:51 AM
The smith looks up at Marcus with a look of withering scorn before snorting contemptuously. As Skalan speaks, she looks him dead in the eye, but as he speaks of the scorching fires of the Cinderlands, her eyes start to wander over his scars and tattoos, and the hint of doubt starts to creep into her eyes.

Zedel's cheering interupts the moment, and leads to a chorus of cheers from the assembled crowds as the match begins. Muscles tense and sinews strain as the two seek to assert their dominance. The broad shouldered smith takes the early advantage, her grip like iron as she slowly forces the arm of the Shoanti brave down. Someone shouts "Zellara's gonna 'umble anuva one" and some of them even move towards the bookie, asking for their winnings.

Skalan is not so easily beaten though, and with the relentless force of the ember wind, he starts to turn the tide. It's hard to tell who is more surprised, Zellara or the crowd, but though she tries to fight it, she is helpless before the power of the Sklar-Quah. Her hand is almost on the table when she lets out a roar of pain and desperation and with her last reserves, forces Skalan's hand up.

The relief of the crowd is palpable but the Sczarni looks disappointed and starts to reach into his pouch. The crowds relief is short lived though as Skalan slams her hand to the table. There is a moment of shock and silence in the bar, as even the bard stops playing, and it may take a week to wipe the smile off the bookie's face. Zellara looks up at the Shoanti with a mixture of surprise and awe.

The Sczarni winks at the party "You berks 'ad ya chance t' make a little jink" then he wanders over to Skalan and whispers in his ear "I 'ope dat weren't no dazzle - if ya tried to peel Zell, she'll bring ya t' the circle quicker than an owlbear cuts frew armour."

The bard quickly starts up a new tune, a Shoanti style eagle song, in tribute to the new champion of Bastion, and a young dwarf, his beard just starting to form, appears carrying a tray as he tries to sell 'sausage inna bun'.

stack
2011-07-13, 07:06 AM
Marcus smiles and goes to clap the Shoanti on the back, then thinks the better of it. As a Varisian noble, he thought the man would not be positively inclined toward him. Better to earn his trust by actions.

"Hah, they won't forget that little show soon."

jjj54
2011-07-13, 01:22 PM
As Skalan puts on a final surge of strength he breathes a sign of relief that is more than overshadowed by the grin that starts to split his ingrained stoicism. By the spirits, the woman was not just boasting about her strength. She has done well and should be rewarded.

After a quick appraisal of his arm as well as hers, Skalan speaks as the eagle song swells in the background. "It is custom among your people to buy another a drink, yes? You have more than proved your strength to me. We will have to do this again sometime, perhaps with a game of sredna..."

Bhaakon
2011-07-13, 07:11 PM
Trig's stomach loudly violates his vow of silence, and he motions the sausage vendor over. I've lost track of the time, perhaps the Commander is still taking visitors.

stack
2011-07-13, 10:10 PM
Marcus looks about at his companions, I wonder where the other two are?

He picks-up his shield and, eyebrows raised, says to his companions,"Should we gather the others and see the commander now?" We need to leave tomorrow, I can't afford this place.

Qualia
2011-07-14, 05:48 AM
Zellara looks up at Skalan, still not quite processing what has happened. Czigani places a large foaming tankard down in front of her, as he pats her in a comforting fashion on her shoulder. Almost in a daze, she takes a sip from the tankard, wipes the excess foam from her face and half nods as she says "... sredna ..."

The young dwarf vendor thrusts a greasy sausage into Trig's hand, "'at'll be a pinch." It's hard to tell what meat was used to make it, but it's hot and filling.

----

As you leave the tavern, the sun is just starting to set behind the Mindspin Mountains and torches are being lit by a short dwarves lamplighter. Standing by the gate to the inner keep, you see a red haired ranger, warming his hands by a brazier. As you make your way towards him, he straightens up. “Can I help you?" he asks in a nasally voice.

After you request an audience with the Commander, he rings a bell to summon a superior, then moves back to stand over the brazier. He makes some polite chat, asking where you’re from and why you’re here. It quickly becomes clear that he’s bored senseless standing here all day on guard duty, especially as he has to stand opposite a tavern he’s barred from entering. ‘Commander’s orders’' he spits contemptuously.

After several minutes, the gate opens and a grizzled old ranger calls the guard over. His nose has been broken several times, and his face is contorted in what Zedel remembers is a permanent scowl - Sergeant Devargo. Before the guard can relay his message, he’s pulled up on the state of his uniform, and things don’t improve for him when Devargo hears who the visitors are. “MERCENARIES! We don’t need their sort here.” he complains, loudly enough for you all to hear. He demands to see a copy of your charter before he will allow any of you to enter the inner sanctum, and is clearly unhappy when you are able to comply. He turns on his heel with a short command of “Follow me” before marching across the inner courtyard.

The inner keep is very different from the ramshackle nature of the outer, clean and tidy with much less clutter. As well as being empty of buildings, it is also empty of people, and to say there is a skeleton staff here would be an overstatement. The segeant marches briskly across the courtyard and up the steps to the keep proper, contemptuously commanding you to “keep up“. The stone floors and wall of the keep are spartan, with only a banner bearing the sigil of the Bloodthorn Rangers hanging on the walls. The stone floors are well worn but clean, but glancing through a doorway on the ground floor, you can see the furniture has been repaired rather than replaced.

You are led up a spiral staircase to the first floor, where the sergeant knocks on another strong wooden door, dutifully waiting, ramrod straight, until he receives permission to enter. “Wait here” he commands you as he straightens his uniform before entering. After a couple of minutes, the door opens, and Devargo stands there with a face like thunder, beckoning you in.

By the window, a man stands from behind a table, an old soldier with iron grey hair and well-weathered skin like leather. He wears the same uniform as the rest of the rangers, but an aura of confidence clearly marks him as a leader of men. However, his furrowed brow and slightly downturned shoulders indicate a man who is clearly struggling with the weight of his burdens. At the side of the room sit’s a man who wears the Rangers uniform, but his is expertly tailored and made of the finest materials. He is drinking from a goblet of wine as he takes his ease, his feet up on a stool, and by his side stands a Halfling holding a bottle of wine. He regards you with a look of mild interest, before signalling for more wine to be poured.

The room is as Spartan as the rest of the keep, with only a Rangers shield and a map of the Vale on the walls. A table stands against the wall bearing various piles of paper, neatly stacked, as well as a small wooden lacquered box, whilst a small fire burns merrily in the hearth. Sleeping in front of it lies a brown, hound, who lazily opens one eye as you enter, half watching you as it snoozes.

As the fire crackles, the Commander casts his eye over you, measuring your bearing and stance. A flicker of anger passes across his eyes when he recognises Zedel, but it quickly passes as he addresses you in the clipped tones of a career military man “Well gentlemen, what can I do for you?"

I decided to speed things up a bit to get to the meeting with the Commander, but if you want to rp any of the earlier stages feel free to do so.

stack
2011-07-14, 07:25 AM
Marcus

Giving the commander a proper bow, "Marcus Vosan, second son of Lord Vosan, at your service. As you have no doubt been informed, we have been granted a charter to pacify the vale. We have come to offer our friendship and ask for any intelligence you can provide."

He stands ramrod straight, mimicking the best military bearing.

jjj54
2011-07-14, 04:11 PM
Skalan returned Devargo's scowl with one of his own. Immediately he knew that he did not like this man. As they entered the commander's room he was almost more surprised to see the gray haired old man more than the fop with the halfling. The way the old man looked and carried himself, Skalan could tell that he bore hard-won experience and burdens. Considering those he had encountered from the fort so far, save for Zellara, he didn't think there would be many more people of worth in this place.

When it was his turn to introduce himself, Skalan honored Cayden with his full name, "Skalan Walks-the-Cinder."

Bhaakon
2011-07-14, 05:05 PM
As the group is shuttled through the near empty keep, Trig struggles to hide his disappointment behind his normally stone-faced expression as it becomes obvious how little help they'll receive from the garrison. At least it's clean.

He respectfully bows as the commander finished speaking, but offers no written introduction. Instead, much of his attention is focused on the man with the halfling servant. A fop playing dress up in a ranger uniform, or just on the take?

Qualia
2011-07-15, 08:52 AM
As the party introduce themselves, Cayden stands to attention whilst the fop continues to sit. When Marcus mentions friendship, the seated man can barely contain a snigger, earning a contemptuous look from the commander. Once they have finished explaining their purposes, he walks up to the party to stand eye to eye with them.

"I'm Commander Cayden" he introduces himself, "and this is Captain Voralius, my second in command." he gestures towards the seated man. "As far as your charter goes, I'm afraid there is little we can do to aid you. My current orders are to hold the Icedeep Pass and keep the dangers of the Vale at bay.” He sighs as he walks over to the table and opens the carved box, reaching in to pull out a cigar. “We have tried to clear the Vale before” he casts his eye towards Zedel, “but even my Rangers where unable to do so. I fear you will do no better.”

He lights the cigar, and puffs on it, breathing out the blue-grey smoke in series of small smoke rings. “A small group of bandits have gathered together, under the rule of some self-proclaimed bandit lord!” he spit’s the last words out. “If I had sufficient manpower, I would deal with them, but sadly …” he shakes his head before straightening up. “I wish you the best of luck gentlemen, but I do not expect you to succeed. Now if that is all …” he turns his back on you and returns to his seat as Voralius raises his goblet to toast you, an amused smile on his face.

stack
2011-07-15, 09:31 AM
Marcus glares at Captain Voralius, Useless fop, probably a fellow noble, but unaccustomed to the wild. No wonder I always avoided social functions. Though if I did I might know who he is and how he gets away with this flagrant disrespect.

To the commander, "Thank you for the information. Could we make a copy of your map?"

Qualia
2011-07-15, 10:30 AM
Cayden turns on his heel at Marcus' request "They didn't provide a map with the charter? " he rolls his eyes. "If you have the facility, you are welcome to copy the map. I shall have the sergeant bring it downstairs, you may use the guardroom for your copying although I will not be able to provide you with any parchment. If you do not have any, I'm sure the thieves in the outer keep will be able to provide for a suitably exhorbitant fee. " He puffs on his cigar, unable to keep the contempt out of his voice.

http://paizo.com/image/content/GameMasteryModules/BloodswornValeUnlabeled.jpg

Bhaakon
2011-07-15, 11:33 AM
It's the best Trig can do to keep the anger and disappointment off his face as he retrieves parchment, ink, and quill from his pack. Useless, I should have known.. As he prepares to take the commander up on the offer, he looks more closely at the map.

"Commander Cayden, I am Trig." he pens in a fine script on the back of the sheet, "Would you please tell us what this location marked near the river is?" Then steps forward and hands his note to the man behind the desk.

Qualia
2011-07-15, 06:26 PM
As the commander reads the note, Trig can't help but notice a flash of anger in his eyes, and colour flushes his cheeks. He thrusts the sheet back into Trig's hands and replies, failing to keep the rage out of his voice. "Why don't you ask your companion Zedel, he knows it well."

With that he motions for Devargo, who brusquely ushers you out of the room and down the stairs to the guardroom, where you can copy the map under his watchful eye. Once you have finished, he accompanies you back across the courtyard to the outer bailey. The night air is cold, and the darkness is intensified by the cloud cover blocking the starlight. Only the wall torches provide any illumination, and the hustle and bustle of earlier has died down as people have retired to their beds, or to the tavern, where the sound of drunken singing can be heard. The smell of stale ale and sweat has now been joined by the smell of smoked sausage.

stack
2011-07-15, 07:31 PM
Marcus thanks the commander as they leave.

As they leave the post, he turns to Zedel, "Anything we should know before we head out? Don't mean to pry, but if you know about the vale..."

Conundrum
2011-07-16, 04:09 AM
During the exchange with the Commander, Bimpwicket introduces himself with a curt nod, but takes no further part in the discussion - in fact he seems almost bored. However, the lazy, disrespectful fop allows him to justify another contemptuous thought towards humans in general. Once outside again, he wanders vaguely around the square, half listening to the others talk, half investigating the inner keep, but with no real aim.

Kon Lesh
2011-07-16, 05:08 AM
Bastards, I will prove myself to them! is the only thought moving through Zedel's mind as he leaves the room. The meeting started out well enough. Just some downwards looks at me. I can take their stares. I was even able to keep my mouth still throughout the meeting. Then they had to bring it up. CURSE CAYDEN TO HELL! I am a soldier and I will prove to them that I am superior to them.

Zedel quickly turns to Marcus with pure dagger eyes and a fist at his chest, cutting Marcus off from the rest of his sentence. Slowly lowering his hand "My home for a few years. It was an outpost, only a few buildings. It was the front guard for here and a resupply point for those oh so wonderful rangers to attack deeper and take more of the Vale back. I was one of the guards there. A night raid of several dozen of those thieves made sure that the Vale was lost...I don't care why anyone else is here, but for me it is to win back what I lost that day. Those bandits will be killed and I will make both Cayden and Voralius admit that I am greater then them or their rangers. And as for the rest of the Vale, It is hell. And that idiot knows as much as he told you, NOTHING because he never sends out scouts always the rangers just charging into battle. Just an old fool." Zedel then continues to walk away at a quicker pace.

Bhaakon
2011-07-16, 05:50 AM
Trig stares hard at Zedel for a moment, both surprised at the outburst and barely controlling his anger over the concealed information. The left side of his mouth twitches a half dozen times before he masters his emotions, as if he's stifling an impulse to scream at the man. Slowly, he turns to the others and writes.

"I'm finding a place to sleep. March at dawn?"

stack
2011-07-16, 07:46 AM
Marcus blinks at the outburst, "Yeah, sleep. I'll be at the gate at first light." He walks to the tavern, shaking his head slightly.

jjj54
2011-07-17, 02:48 PM
"Yes, we should rest," Skalan said finally, "Tomorrow will be a long day."

Zedel's words seemed to be very impassioned concerning the commander and his tactics. Perhaps, Skalan thought, he had misjudged the old man. Still, there was no denying that some of what Zedel said roused his own anger. What Zedel "lost" was land his ancestors stole. It is hardly thievery for one thief to steal another's stolen goods. It's poetic justice.

Conundrum
2011-07-18, 01:59 AM
Bimpwicket listens passively to Zedel's rant, silently mocking the human's useless, likely misdirected anger. When the others mention bed, he nods and walks quietly to the tavern, looking forward to tomorrow when he could bring Tulio out to play.

Qualia
2011-07-18, 02:35 PM
The party re-enter the Broken Blade, and the tavern is in full flow. The wagoneers are still at their table, but clearly the worse for wear after an afternoon drinking. The bard is playing hard as the some of the more drunken patrons sing along to ‘the Beer Song’, whilst their less inebriated colleagues bang their empty tankards along to the tune.

“A long, long ago, way back in time
When all there was to drink, was nothing but wine.”

Ezi, the barmaid in a yellow dress, has little time to flirt as she’s too busy fetching drinks, whilst the tavern keeper is employed cleaning goblets and tankards at the bar. The fire in the hearth is now roaring, whilst the young dwarf is still plying his trade, selling food from a tray. The landlord calls you over, and inquires whether you’ve booked rooms yet. “If you haven’t, you might want to call on baba Yangrit. She runs the boarding house over the way there and I’m sure she’ll be able to squeeze you into the common room if all the private rooms are gone.”

As the beer song ends, a cheer goes up, and a dog can be heard, barking furiously . A drunken voice demands for someone to shut that damn dog up, and as if by magic, the barking turns to a whimper, resulting in another cheer. The bard starts up another tune, this time a toe tapping Varisian tune about a man and his dog, when the sound of a muffled explosion rocks the tavern. Several people look around with mild concern, whilst others shake their heads. “Sounds like Guildersleeves is up to his old tricks” is the general wisdom. Suddenly the door bursts open, and a short, scrawny creature stands in the doorway, it’s body dwarfed by its wide, ungainly head. In its hand, it holds a flaming bottle, and its face splits into a vicious grin, the glint of malice in its eye. Behind it, other short creatures appearing to be running, and high-pitched female screams can be heard over the panicked neighing of horses. As a shocked hush falls over the tavern, it giggles maniacally as it sings

Burn the skin and mash the head,
Goblins here and you be dead!

before throwing the Molotov cocktail into the room and drawing its dogslicer, its dull curved blade glinting in the flames.

Bhaakon
2011-07-18, 05:24 PM
Trig gapes for a moment, as the jaunty goblin finishes his tune and chucks flaming ordinance. The shattering of the Molotov cocktail snaps him from his surprised stupor, and he finally thinks to ready his bow and search for a clear shot through the crowded tavern.

[roll0] initiative

stack
2011-07-18, 06:17 PM
Marcus spins to face the door he had just entered. Seeing the flame, he yells to the wagoneers to put it out as he draws his saber and pushes toward the goblin. His blade arcs out, seeking the creatures neck.

initiative [roll0]
draw weapon during move, wield two handed, attack if possible [roll1]
damage [roll2]
crit confirm [roll3] (crit on 18+)

ed- ac17 (shield on back) HP 12

Kon Lesh
2011-07-18, 07:04 PM
After returning to the Broken Blade Zedel took up a seat at the bar. Not taking any drinks or joining any conversations. Zedel turns as he hears the women scream. Immediately, he grabs his flail and charges forward aiming his weapon for the goblins hand.

Initiative just in case: [roll0]
draw weapon as I move to the goblin and disarm his dogslicer [roll1]
AC is 18 since I didn't have my shield prepared
HP is 13

jjj54
2011-07-19, 01:18 AM
As Skalan makes a mental note to call upon this Yangrit woman, all hell breaks loose. There is fire in the room and maniacal singing in the air. Instinct takes over as Skalan reaches for his weapon and rushes to engage the small creature. Barring simple insanity, the boldness of the little greenskin suggested that it might have more up it's sleeve than fire. For this reason Skalan kept his eyes peeled for any other tricks.

Initiative: [roll0]
One move to wield his spear and another to move up to a space next to the goblin.
HP: 10
AC: 15

Qualia
2011-07-20, 04:01 AM
As the flaming bottle hit’s the table of the wagoneers, it explodes with liquid fire, covering the men with sticky fire producing screams of pain and anguish. They jump to their feet and start to run around the room in a blinding panic as they try in vain to extinguish the source of their agony. The other patrons are shaken from their reverie, and everyone starts moving, often blindly, as they try to do something, anything to get away from the danger.

Whilst panic fills much of the room, Trig, Marcus, Zedel and Skalan are quick to react and move to intercept the danger. The goblin, who was enjoying the sight of flaming men running around the room, suddenly spots 3 armed men running towards him, and decides to turn tail and leave the room. He escapes through the door, just ahead of Marcus, Zedel and Skalan, but as they reach the door, another goblin blunders past, a jagged dogslicer in his hand, stained red with blood, a chicken head in his other hand. A moment of realisation passes through his brain, but he doesn’t have time to react as Zedel smashes the blade from his hand with his flail. Before it has time to react, a sabre arcs through the air and cuts into its neck, spraying blood across the party as it slowly spins round in a circle before collapsing in a heap, a pool of blood quickly forming around its body.

From here, you can see several small fires have been started, burning both tents and outbuildings, and the acrid smell of smoke fills the air. Several small shapes can be seen zig zagging through the courtyard, many of them holding flaming bottles.

From up on the walls, a high pitched voice can be heard leading the singing of the goblin warchant

Goblins chew and goblins bite.
Goblins cut and goblins fight.
Stab the dog and cut the horse,
Goblins eat and take by force!

Goblins race and goblins jump.
Goblins slash and goblins bump.
Burn the skin and mash the head,
Goblins here and you be dead!

Chase the baby, catch the pup.
Bonk the head to shut it up.
Bones be cracked, flesh be stewed,
We be goblins! You be food!

Despite the childlike voice, it somehow manages to cut through the sounds of panicked animals from the stables, the crackle of burning timbers and the screams of terrified woman and children, as well as the anguished cries of burning wagoneers.

You can see a couple of goblins are attempting to force entry into Ling Po’s store, whilst two goblins carrying flaming torches are making a beeline for the stables, lead by a mounted goblin carrying a horse chopper. An old man is crying for help, trapped inside a tent that has just caught fire, licks of flame quickly climbing the canvas walls. A giggling goblin is chasing a small child in a red cloak across the road, whilst a small boy in an alleyway is throwing stones at two goblins who are slowly advancing on him, blades glinting as they try to maintain cover to protect themselves from the stinging stones. You also spot the carpenter who engaged in the arm wrestling earlier trying to protect his tent, swinging a hammer at one goblin as another sneaks up behind him.

Before you can decide what to do, an arrow thuds into the wall next to you, quickly followed by a second arrow that imbeds itself into the ground at your feet.

Trig, you can have made your way to the door if you want, there were no clear shots in the tavern, too many bodies in the way.

Bhaakon
2011-07-20, 05:45 AM
Trig emerges through the door and surveys the scene with with his companions. No time for writing, I hope these guys can come up with a decent plan. Spotting the child in the red cloak desperately fleeing, Trig quickly launches a pair of arrows at the pursuing goblin.

full attack with flurry
[roll0] attack 1
[roll1] damage 1
[roll2] attack 2
[roll3] damage 2

stack
2011-07-20, 11:22 AM
Seeing the chaos, Marcus slip past Trig and charges the two goblins threatening the boy in the alley. He draws his shield while running, casting a worried eye toward the trio heading for the stables. People first, then see to the beasts. I hope they can hold out.

charge the nearest of the two goblins if in range (60 ft), while equipping the shield during movement.
attack w/ saber 1 handed [roll0] +2 for charging
damage [roll1]
crit confirm if needed [roll2]+2 charging

ac 17 (19-2 for charge), HP 12

Conundrum
2011-07-20, 03:29 PM
Bimpwicket runs to the door and quickly appraises the threat. He then focuses for a moment, and a small eagle with fiery red eyes appears 25 feet away in the direction of the chanting goblin atop the wall.

The eagle immediately flies 80 feet towards that goblin, and if it's close enough, attempts to bite it.

Standard action summon monster I: fiendish template eagle

Bite: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

jjj54
2011-07-20, 03:37 PM
The town was little better than the bar as many of those they'd only recently met were either being slaughtered or terrorized by the diminutive fiends. Though he held no love for many of them yet, these people didn't deserve to die this way. As he slipped around Trig too, he made was almost surprised that Marcus chose not to attend to the animal he so doted on.

Freeing up a hand, snatched a pinch of sand from a pouch and tossed it towards the goblin rider and his goons. Carried on unnatural winds, the sand shimmered slightly as it became charge with a little of Skalan's power. Anything to stop future moaning should Marcus actually lose the beast...

With that done, Skalan moved to interpose himself between the carpenter and the goblin sneaking up on him. As he did, he made special note of the goblin upon the wall. He didn't trust the little warchanter and would hunt him down next after he finished here.

Casts Sleep focused on the goblin rider, will DC:13
Move action to get between the carpenter and the sneaking goblin
Knowledge: Local [roll0] To see how important the chanter is and
Knowledge: Arcana [roll1] to judge if it's using a bardic effect.

Kon Lesh
2011-07-20, 04:42 PM
Great, you can't do anything right can you Cayden? Good job on letting in a raiding party. As Zedel watches his companions move in all directions and engage everyone, Zedel charges at the group in front of Ling Po's store. [COLOR="SeaGreen"]"Hey, frogs! Over here."[COLOR]

charge to the goblins while equipping my shield while using combat expertise
attacking one of the goblins if I am close enough with the +2 from charging and -0 from combat expertise due to Threatening defender
attack roll [roll0]
damage [roll1]
crit confirm if needed [roll2]
AC is 19 (20 -2 from charge +1 from combat expertise)
HP is 13

Qualia
2011-07-21, 06:41 AM
Trig launches a flurry of arrows at the chasing goblin, the first just missing, but his second rakes across the creatures oversized head, narrowly missing an eye. This gives its red cloaked prey the opportunity to escape around the corner of an outbuilding as the goblin pauses to check his wound. Spitting a curse at you, it continues on its chase, pursuing the red cloak around the corner, its giggles now replaced by a stream of angry curses. As he watches, another black feathered arrow thuds into the ground at his feet. The second shot is more accurate, as a bone tip pierces his right boot and sinks into his foot, almost pinning him to the ground, drawing a delighted scream from its archer.

Trig take 3 points of damage

Marcus sprints to the assistance of the stone throwing child, but the goblinspawn he charged, dives clear, his dogslicer flicking out in a vicious arc, cutting the ranger across his thigh, just below the protection of his chain shirt. The second goblin joins the attack, leaping onto his broad back, one arm clinging onto his neck as it sinks its needle like fangs into Marcus' ear, and the human can feel warm, sticky liquid roll down his neck and under his armour.

Marcus - Take 4 points of damage

Bimpwicket's eagle flashes at the warchanter, but its razor sharp talons miss their target as the goblin ducks clear of the attack. As the eagle prepares for a second pass, the warchanter grabs it's throat then makes what appears to be a silent scream. Whilst you can hear nothing, you can see the effects as the eagle is blasted with an invisible force that causes the bird to expire in an explosion of blood and feathers. The goblin then spins round to oversee the progress of the attack.

Skalan sends his magic dust in the direction of the stablebound goblins, and the two torch bearers collapse to the floor. The torch of one lands on the goblin, causing the rags it is wearing to catch light, whilst the second torch rolls slowly, but surely, towards a tent. The Shoanti then runs up to protect the carpenters rear, and he shoots you a look, at first fearful but which quickly gives way to relief. He has no time for more though as the goblin facing him tries to stab him with his rusty blade, but a hammer swings keeps it back. The second goblin launches itself at Skalan, but he is able to knock it clear with his spear, and it lands on all fours, a snarl on its oversized face and anger blazing in its eyes at the man who had frustrated its ambush.

War Chanters are held in high regard by goblins, and often lead goblin war bands, for the foul creatures love to sing. You recognise the bardic arts it is employing as it seeks to inspire its warband.

Zedel charges towards the goblins trying to force entry into Ling Po's, and he catches the first creature by surprise, swinging his flail with force to brain the creature, causing an explosion of blood and brain matter. The creature is left with a stupified expression on its face, and weakly attempts a swing with its blade, but it lacks the force to do more than gently brush against the former soldiers shield. The second creature laughs at its companions plight, cackling with joy at the look on its face from it's perch halfway up the storefront. It pauses long enough to fling a sharpened spike at Zedel, but he is able to parry it with his shield.

As the tent continues to burn, the old man's screams turn from fear to pain, as his home looks to become his tomb, acrid smoke rising from the crackling fires. From behind the tavern, you hear another explosion as bright flames briefly illuminate the outer bailey, and you can hear insane giggling as a flaming ball of feathers races out of the fires, vainly flapping its wings before hitting the wall opposite as pleading sqwarks escape its ruined beak.

stack
2011-07-21, 07:52 AM
Marcus collects himself, cursing his lack of caution. As the goblin falls off his back, his turns his full attention to the one in front of him.
More careful, must do this right. People are depending on us. Also Ow.
Shield forward, he quickly turns his hip, his arm punching out, blade descending in a snapping arc toward his attacker.

attack goblin w/ dogslicer [roll0]
crit confirm [roll1]
damage [roll2]

HP 8, AC 19

Bhaakon
2011-07-21, 08:13 AM
This is a debacle, where are the rangers? Trig looses an arrow at the singing goblin, then sprints as quickly as his foot allows to the nearest cover from goblin archers.

[roll0] to hit
[roll1] damage

jjj54
2011-07-21, 04:37 PM
"Someone tend to the old man!" Skalan yelled out as both hands once again gripped his weapon. There was no question that the warchanter was good. But how would he stand up against the might of a thundercaller? It wasn't the only one that could inspire it's allies...

Ramming the butt of his spear on the ground, Skalan listened to it resonate for a moment before before he began to swing it in slow arcs. With each swing the hole along it's broad blade gathered more and more wind, eliciting a mighty dirge that reminded all who heard it not only of how indomitable the Shoanti are, but also how dangerous those that associate with them can be.

Move action to grab the spear with both hands again. Standard action to begin an Inspire Courage performance using sound. (+1 atk, +1 dam, +1 on saves vs. fear and charm)
About how far away is the warchanter from Skalan?

Qualia
2011-07-21, 05:05 PM
Skalan

The warchanter is 20' up on the Keep wall. Skalan is about 50' from the wall next to the carpenters shop.

Kon Lesh
2011-07-21, 07:34 PM
I need a moment before I can take care of the old man. Zedel brings around another swing to the injured goblin while watching the other goblin for possible counter attack.

Using combat expertise to attack the injured goblin
attack roll [roll0]
damage [roll1]
AC is 21
HP is 13

Conundrum
2011-07-22, 04:43 AM
Bimpwicket swears as his eagle explodes. He moves towards the wall atop which the warchanter dances, as fast as his little legs will carry him, but is still too far away to cast a regular spell. Instead, he attempts another eagle, hoping for better luck this time. Once again, the eagle dives the goblin with its claws.

Move: 20ft towards the wall with the warchanter.
Standard action: summon monster I, fiendish template eagle.
Eagle attack: [roll0]
Eagle damage: [roll1]

Qualia
2011-07-22, 07:30 AM
Marcus cuts through the goblin with expert precision, slicing it from shoulder to hip. It shrieks in pain as its entire torso begins to split, spilling its guts to the floor with a wet thud. The second goblin at his rear giggles insanely, mocking its colleague through blood stained fangs. "Gutwad spill his guts, hehehehehe!" Seeing the blood on the rangers thigh, the goblin tries to bite the wound, but Marcus is able to hold it off with the aid of his shield. The small creature licks its lips, tasting the humans blood. "Longshanks taste good." Off in the distance, Marcus can hear the distressed cries of a hippogrif, whilst closer, he can hear the sobs of the small boy, who is scrabbling around looking for another rock.

Trig loses an arrow at the warchanter, but the wind sends his arrow astray and it arcs over the wall and into the darkness. Overcoming the pain in his foot, he runs to the side of the tavern, cutting off the archers ability to hit him. As he crouches down, he can a goblin squating over the well, trousers around its ankles, merrily singing to itself.

Goblins pee and goblins poo.
In your well a number two.
When you drink it, think of me,
In your mouth will be my wee.

Meanwhile, another goblin is lighting up another oil filled bottle before drawing back a tent curtain to throw it in, drawing high pitched screams from the inhabitants hiding within. Trig's attention is drawn to the opening of the gate between the inner and outer bailey, but 2 goblin arrows rapidly fly into it, resulting in a shout of pain and the immediate closing of the gate.

Skalan's spinning spear produces a growing dirge that inspires his allies and upsets the goblins, who cover their ears at the sound. The goblin standing closest to the Shoanti screams "Stop it, longshanks, stop the sound." and tries to close the distance between you, but fearfull of the spinning spear, it cannot close the distance. Inspired by your aid, the carpenter catches his opponent with a glancing blow, and lets out a triumphant "Take that."

As he surveys the surrounding scene, he can see the rolling torch continue its slow but inevitable journey towards the tent, causing it to catch light at its base. The mounted goblin continues its journey to the stable, its mighty horsechopper catching the firelight as it swings up into position, and the neighing of the horses becomes more frenzied. The old man trapped in the flames continues to cry out in pain, imploring the gods, or anyone to save him as his home continues to blaze away. From the windows of the tavern, a womans face can be seen, eyes bloodshot with tears.

Zedel despatches the goblin with another devastating blow, and his companions giggles stop as it considers that it might be next. Deciding discretion is the watchword, it decides against attacking the fearsome warrior, and instead returns to prising open the window, forcing it open a crack. "Later longshanks" it giggles as it starts to slip through the gap. As that goblin starts to disappear, another races past, wearing the butchered head of a dog as a helmet and singing "Ripmutt wins! Ripmutt wins!"

Bimpwicket's second eagle is more successful than the first, and it manages a raking attack, drawing blood from the warchanter. The goblin cries in pain, and takes off along the wall, seeking sanctuary from the bird as it fumbles in its pack whilst running towards a tower. As Bimpwicket runs towards the wall, the door of an outbuilding opens, flooding the area with light. A dwarf can be seen holding the door open, and they call out to you "In here!" as they try to hunch down and avoid any goblin archers.

stack
2011-07-22, 08:19 AM
Marcus looks at the remaining goblin with disgust. As it tries to bite his leg, his saber flashes down, trying to take the obscene vermin in the waist.

Where is that blasted Stormwhatever? Or that girly priest? We don't have enough hands to save everyone!

Hearing the noise from the stable, Hold on Horus, I'll be there soon. You can take a few of them on.

"Can anyone do something about these cursed fires?"

attack goblin [roll0]
damage [roll1]
confirm crit [roll2] (all including the bonus from inspire courage)AC 19, HP 8, agitation high,
I assume you meant hippogrif, not griffon, unless there are other mythological beasts in the stable (technically he's in the kennel and the horse is in the common area, not the stable proper)

Bhaakon
2011-07-22, 01:21 PM
Goblins bleed and goblins die, here's an arrow in your eye.

flurry the goblin on the well (if it's within 30 feet, dd another +1 to all attack and damage rolls)
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Kon Lesh
2011-07-22, 02:43 PM
Oh, no. Can't let him get in there. This will be too major if the outpost loses this story.

"Come now, little frog. No need to leave right now." As Zedel swings up his flail to wrap around the escaping goblin and pull him back down.

Trip CMB: [roll0]
This will provoke an attack of opportunity
AC is 21
HP is 13

jjj54
2011-07-22, 07:10 PM
While Skalan couldn't read Marcus' thoughts, if he could have he would have completely agreed. They would lose quite a few more people if they didn't get some more help soon. For now all he could do was focus on the threat at hand.

Continuing to produce the dirge, Skalan released a little of his power into his spear. It shimmered slightly before he sprang forward, slicing into the goblin with one of his swings, never missing a beat.

Free action to continue the bardic effect. Swift action to apply arcane strike. Move action to close with the goblin. Standard to attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Conundrum
2011-07-22, 07:25 PM
Bimpwicket grins maliciously as he sees the cowardly goblin flee along the wall.

"I don't think so!" he mutters as he gives chase along the bottom of the wall, casting a spell to make the wall treacherously slippery and hopefully send the goblin tumbling to its death.

At the same time, the eagle continues its pursuit, snapping with its sharp beak at the "shortshank's" face.

Move: run along the base of the wall in the same direction as the warchanter.
Standard: Cast grease (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/g/grease) on the wall in front of the warchanter.
Eagle attack: [roll0]
Eagle damage: [roll1]

Qualia
2011-07-25, 04:25 PM
As the goblin launches itself at Marcus, attempting to take another bite out of him, his flashing sabre slices it through its midsection, almost cutting it in half, and it drops to the ground, gurgling as its intestines start to spill, releasing the foul odour of the sewer. With both of his attackers now despatched, the small boy runs up and starts stomping the oversized head of the dying goblin, tears streaming down his face as the goblin’s whimpers are quickly silenced. Looking round, the ranger can see no immediate threats.

The goblin squatting over the well lets out an anguished cry as an arrow lands between its legs. It quickly pulls up its trousers and takes refuge behind the well as a second arrow misses its head by mere inches. “Not fair. Not funny” it complains, but its cries are interrupted by the screams of a small child, quickly cut short. Several seconds later, a goblin emerges from behind a wall, a red cloak dragging behind it, whilst blood drips from its wickedly curved blade. It calls out in a sing song voice. “Come here children. Present for you.”

At Ling Po’s store, Zedel leaps as the goblin tries to climb through the window. It is almost in, with only its leg dangling out, when the former soldier catches it around the ankle with his flail. It tries in vain to hold in place, but its strength is far to weak to support the 194lb human, and it is quickly dragged out of the window and to the floor, landing with a thud and a scream and it appears to have injured its leg. It fires off another sharpened spike but Zedel is able to knock it clear with his shield. He is not as lucky with Ripmutt’s attack, as the goblin in the dog’s head hat catches Zedel in the thigh with a raking blow. “Ripmutt make new hat from longshanks” it laughs triumphantly, its dogslicer glinting in the night air.

Zedel take 3 points of damage

The goblin menacing Skalan thinks it has spotted an opening and dives towards the Shoanti, but the Thunder Caller is ready, and catches it on his spear, skewering it. With the flick of his wrist, aided by the arcane energy flowing through the spear, Skalan sends it flying into the wall with a thud, and this goblin will not rise again. Meanwhile, the carpenter continues to hold off its enemy, but is unable to catch it with a clean blow.

The war chanters escape along the Keep’s battlements is brought to a screeching halt when it spots the pool of conjured grease. The goblins troubles don’t end there when Bimpwickets eagle catches it across the back with a raking attack. “Kill the bird.” it orders, and one of the goblin archers fires off an arrow that slices through the eagles wing, causing it to spiral away. Determind to wreck its revenge, the war chanter calls on its magics to curse the gnome, seeking to enchant the conjurors tongue. Meanwhile, the dwarf in the doorway continues to wave Bimpwicket in, calling out “Protect us and I shall reward you.”

Bimpwicket - Will save vs. DC 12 or Fumbletongue for 3 rounds

This enchantment causes a creature to be unable to speak intelligibly. Any effort the target makes to talk, in any language, comes out as a useless mix of unconnected words and noises. Even magic words are affected to some extent; the target has a 20% spell failure chance for any spell it attempts to cast with verbal components, and a 20% chance to incorrectly use a command word to activate a magic item. This spell has no effect on telepathic communication, or the vocalizations of creatures that lack a spoken language.

As the old man’s tent turns into a conflaguration, his pleas turn to curses through his screams of pain. “Damn you all! ‘S not right to leave a man to die this arggghhhhhh!” The tent collapses in on itself as the air fills with the awful, acrid odour of burnt flesh. As this occurs, the door to the tavern opens, and a woman pushes her way past a man and runs across the courtyard towards the tent, a mournful wailing on her lips. She only makes it halfway there before a goblins arrow catches her in the back, knocking her to the ground. She continues to crawl towards the tent, dragging herself there inch by inch.

From the stables, the unmistakable cry of a dying horse split’s the air, and the flash of a horse chopper reflects the fires that are starting to catch in a nearby tent. Across the courtyard, the goblin bearing flaming flasks lights up another. As someone attempts to escape the tent it has just ignited, it releases the flask into their back, causing an explosion of flame as burning oil flies everywhere. The goblin lets out an insane giggle, then breaks into a run towards the stables.

Bhaakon
2011-07-25, 06:47 PM
Trig's gaze locks on the goblin with the red cloak, his face a mask of rage. A pair of arrows leap forth like lightening from his bow.

[roll0] attack 1 (+1 if within 30 ft)
[roll1] damage 1 (+1 if within 30 ft)

[roll2] attack 2 (+1 if within 30 ft)
[roll3] damage 2 (+1 if within 30 ft)

stack
2011-07-25, 07:58 PM
The chanter is the key. Maybe they will break without him! It is our only chance to stop this.

Marcus moves to get a view of the lead goblin, then drops his sword and shield in favor of his bow, swiftly notching, then loosing a shaft from his belt quiver.

attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]
crit con if needed [roll2]

Kon Lesh
2011-07-25, 11:27 PM
"Argh! So I see that some frogs can fight. Give me a second and I will be with you." As Zedel raises up his flail and brings it down directly onto the injured goblin.

attack roll [roll0]
damage roll [roll1]
AC is 21 with combat expertise
HP is 10

Conundrum
2011-07-26, 04:33 AM
Bimpwicket laughs off the chanter's attempt to curse his tongue.

Refusing to take his eyes off the goblin, he yells back to the dwarf, "Funny, I thought we were protecting you! What good would we do holed up inside?"

Now that he had stopped the goblin's escape, he drew his crossbow, loaded a bolt, sighted, and fired.

Light crossbow attack: [roll0]

EDIT: I really wish I had Tulio with me..
EDIT again: forgot to include the bardic bonuses. Add one to each roll - maybe it'll be the difference between a hit and a miss...

jjj54
2011-07-26, 04:03 PM
"Keep fighting!" Skalan calls out as he moved to take down the carpenter's other goblin. There was nothing that could be done for the old man now. But he might be able to help the woman...

Move towards the goblin. Free action to continue the music effect. Swift for another arcane strike. Standard to attack. [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
HP10
AC 15

Qualia
2011-07-27, 02:40 PM
Trig’s first arrow catches the goblin dragging the red cloak in its hand, drawing a squeal from the foul creature and pinning the cloak into its hand. The pain in its hand causes it to double over, and that means Trig’s second arrow misses its head. “Too big!” it cries and takes to its heel, running back the way it came. Before Trig can follow it, an arrow flies past his head, cutting his ear and causes blood to trickle down the side of his face. From behind the well, a triumphant cry can be heard.

Trig take 3 points of damage

Marcus fires an arrow at the War Chanter but he spots the missile coming and ducks down, causing the missile to fly over the wall. In response, a goblin archer lets fly with an arrow of its own. Marcus spots the danger, and instinctively brings an arm up to protect his face. He saves himself from serious injury, but still receives a nasty gash to his left forearm, and pain shoots up his arm as the bone arrowhead gouges into his arm.

Marcus take 2 points of damage

Zedel flicks his flail out with practised speed, and connects with the prone goblins head with a sickening snap. Its head lolls to the side at an unnatural angle, and without the aid of a skilled healer it will remain that way. Before he can take satisfaction in a job well done, Ripmutt dashes forward with frightening speed, its blade arcing out with a slice aimed at Zedel’s manhood. He turns to protect himself from the worst of the blow, but this leaves his hip exposed to a vicious stab that sends pain shooting down his leg, and Zedel almost looses his footing as his left leg goes weak. "Ripmutt cut longshanks down to size." it says with a satisfied grin on its face.

Zedel - take 4 points of damage

As the War Chanter raises his head from the battlements after avoiding Marcus’ arrow, Bimpwicket unleashes his bolt which flies straight and true. A scream of pain follows as the bolt takes off the left ear of the Chanter, and a stream of goblin curses spill from its lips. “Find the prize! Find it quick!” it screeches before pulling out a potion and swigging it down. Bimpwicket is soon under fire from one of the goblin archers, but its arrow falls short of its intended target.

Skalan spots an opening as the goblin tries to attack the carpenter, and the Shoanti spearman’s aim proves deadly once again as he shoves the carpenter aside and drives his totem spear through the creatures neck. It collapses to the floor, its neck spewing a fountain of blood as it dies gurgling in the dirt. "Thanks." whispers the carpenter as he lets out a relieved sigh, "I owe you one."

As the tent fires continue to burn, several voices scream for help from one, whilst the man who tried to escape from it lies writhing in pain, covered in flaming oil. His attacker has now reached the stables, and quickly sets to work. Several seconds later, one of the wagon train mules comes charging into the courtyard, its back aflame and it brays in pain and it is kicking out in a vain attempt to throw the fire off its back. From inside the stables, more frenzied whinnying can be heard, and a joyfull song can be heard being sung by at least two high pitched voices.

Knock, knock, knock;
The Hollow Man calls.
Swing, swing, swing!
His greedy scythe falls!

Chop, chop, chop;
He takes another head.
Burn, burn, burn!
The Hollow Man is dead!

stack
2011-07-27, 03:18 PM
"Dead Guide my hand," Marcus whispers as he draws the bowstring to his ear. He takes a deep breath, focusing on the warchanter, then looses his shaft.

attack the war chanter [roll0]
damage [roll1]
AC 17, HP 6 :smalleek:

stack
2011-07-27, 03:20 PM
[roll0] action point to ensure a hit, also +1 from the bard song

Bhaakon
2011-07-27, 03:26 PM
The burning pain in Trig's ear momentarily cuts through his rage, long enough for the screams from the burning tent to reach him. No more death.. He sprints to the rear of the tent and draws his dagger in his free hand, attempting to cut through the material and release those inside.

jjj54
2011-07-27, 06:06 PM
Skalan nods, accepting the thanks before speaking, "We have to keep moving, save who we can, and put out the fires. Head for the well, I'll try to cover you."

Moving towards the well. Free to keep up bardic music. Not sure if I need a Diplomacy check to convince the carpenter to help. If there is an archer in sight and in range of a sleep spell, Skalan will use it with his standard action. Otherwise he'll kill any goblins on the way.
HP 10
AC15

Conundrum
2011-07-27, 06:27 PM
Bimpwicket swears as he is too slow to prevent the chanter drinking the potion, which presumably heals many of his wounds.

He summons another eagle, close enough this time to gain benefit from the full repertoire of its naturally deadly weapons. The eagle rakes at the chanter's hands and arms with it's sharp talons even as it tears at the exposed face with it's beak.

Bimpwicket then reloads his light crossbow, preparing to take another shot.

Standard: Summoner Monster 1: Fiendish Template Eagle. (5 hp, 14 AC).
Move: Reload Light Crossbow.

Eagle: Full Attack (2 talons, 1 bite)
Talon Attack 1: [roll0]
Talon Damage 1: [roll1]
Talon Attack 2: [roll2]
Talon Damage 2: [roll3]
Bite Attack: [roll4]
Bite Damage: [roll5]

All rolls include bardic song bonuses.

King Tius
2011-07-27, 10:07 PM
Aurelius Stormscale, Human Paladin
The young paladin comes charging out of the tavern, his cloak singed and his face blackened with soot.

"We got most of the fire out...by Abadar's chain, what in the?"

Aurelius's eyes go wide at the chaotic scene before him. Hesitating only a moment to try and decide where to go, Aurelius takes off at a run towards the burning man, pulling his cloak off his shoulders as he does so. He attempts to cover the man and smother the flames on him while he uses his Detect Evil ability to see if there are any goblins lurking around the flaming tents.

OOC: Sorry I was absent for so long. I'm all caught up and ready to save some townsfolk!

Kon Lesh
2011-07-27, 11:16 PM
"ARGH! You stupid frog! Just die already!" Zedel swings his flail around trying to strike the goblin. During the strike, Zedel spots the stables being engulfed in flames Oh, no! Oh, no! Why didn't Marcus go there? Have to do something. Zedel then starts moving off towards the stable.

standard attack against the goblin. Then move action of 20ft towards the stable.
attack roll [roll0]
damage roll [roll1]
AC is 21 with combat expertise
HP is 6

Qualia
2011-07-28, 05:43 PM
Marcus launches his arrow at the War Chanter, and this time it flies true. The goblin catches a glancing shot to the shoulder, causing it to drop the potion bottle, and it screams at its archers “Kill the humans.” in a shrill, high pitched voice.

Trig slings his bow, and breaks into a run, made all the more painfull by his injured foot as the goblin by the well lets out a victorious cry “Run longshanks. Fear my power.” The monk draws his blade and braves the heat and flames to cut open the back of the tent. Smoke billows forth as 3 people stumble, coughing from the acrid black smoke, tears streaming as their hoarse voices utter heartfelt thanks.

Having despatched both the goblins near him, Skalan moves towards the well, his spear at the ready. The carpenter goes with him, eager to gain access to the well water to help extinguish the fires. Spotting the goblins on the wall, the Storm Caller summons his magic to enscorcell the archers. One sinks to the floor as it enters the embrace of Desna, but the other seems to shake off the enchantment and looses an arrow at the Shoanti brave. The magic clearly had some effect though, for the missile hits the ground three feet short of its mark. From behind the well, a goblin tries to protect its position with an arrow, but the projectile flies well wide as panic grasps the goblins heart, and as it sees the arrow miss, it turns tail and runs towards the wall.

Bimpwicket summons a third eagle, and with the War Chanter distracted by Marcus’ attack, it is unprepared for the birds furious attack. The conjured creature connects with both talons as it takes hold of both shoulders, then takes a pound of flesh from the shrieking goblin with its razor sharp beak. The goblin manages to drive the bird back, but clearly decides discretion is the better form of valor as it unleashes another magical enchantment before clambouring over the wall and jumping to the relative safety of the keep exterior.

Aurelius emerges from dealing with burning victims from the tavern, and immediately spots another victim of the goblin arsonist. Pulling his cloak clear, he runs to the man and smothers the fire, though the fire extracts a small price from the paladin for doing so. The man still breathes, but his injuries are severe. As Abadar’s servant surveys the scene for other threats, he senses danger from the stables, one strong source of evil, and four to five minor sources. Over by the wall, there are four sources visible.

Aurelius takes 1 point of damage from the fire

Zedel despatches Ripmutt with a practised swing of his flail, causing goblin skull and dog head to become one, such is the force of his blow. With no other goblins nearby, the former soldier heads towards the stables, where the smell of burnt hair and barbequed horseflesh begins to overwhelm his senses, the frenzied cries of dying animals filling the air over goblinsong and insane giggling.

As the flaming mule continues to run around the Keep in a blind panic, Redcloak runs towards the well, but spotting Skalan head towards it, the goblin breaks off towards Bimpwicket and the Dwarven doorway, its dogslicer flashing in the flames.

Bhaakon
2011-07-28, 06:55 PM
Trig sighs in relief as the smoke-blackened survivors emerge from the tent, then wheels on the red-cloaked goblin and hurls his dagger. Eat this, you smug runt. Before the blade even approaches its target, Trig has his bow off his shoulder and back in his hands.

standard action to throw dagger, move action to re-arm the bow
[roll0] attack roll includes bardic music (unsure of range, increment 10 ft)
[roll1] damage, again including bardic music

jjj54
2011-07-29, 05:57 AM
Skalan gives a small salute of respect to the injured monk. In a moment though, the salute turns into the gestures of a daze spell aimed at Redcloak. He needed the gnome alive for his next move.

"Bimpwicket, we need your birds on the walls taking out archers."

Move to keep up with the carpenter. Standard to cast Daze DC 12. Free to keep up bardic music with the spear if he is able to do so one-handed. If not the bardic music effect ends this turn.

stack
2011-07-29, 07:23 AM
Marcus, seeing the effectiveness of the bird's assault, shoulders his bow and picks-up his sword and shield to follow Zedel to the stables, where he wished to go from the start. If I was a better shot...I do not wish to hit the bird while it fights.

"Zedel, I have your back."

Conundrum
2011-07-29, 08:29 AM
Bimpwicket glances between Skalan and Redcloak.

"All right, but you'd better keep that thing away from me!" he calls back, as he resolutely squares his shoulders and takes aim at one of the archers on the walls.

Breathing out slowly so as not to disrupt his aim, he slowly squeezes the trigger. As the bolt arcs towards its target, his eagle swoops in from outside the wall to rake at the same goblin with its talons.

He then quickly reloads the crossbow again.

Fire crossbow at the closest archer.
Attack: [roll0] +1 (20) if bardic music still in effect.
Damage: [roll1] +1 (7) if bardic music still in effect.

Move action: Reload light crossbow.

Eagle Attack: [roll2] +1 (5) bardic music.
Eagle Damage: [roll3] +1 (3) bardic music.

King Tius
2011-07-29, 10:35 AM
Aurelius Stormscale
Gritting his teeth at the burning pain, the young paladin rises and draws his greatsword. Seeing two of his allies headed towards the stables and Redcloak closing on Bimpwicket, Aurelius decides to defend the gnome.

If he can, he will try and intercept Redcloak and take a swing at him (though that may be too many actions, depending on the distance).

Attack: [roll0]

Kon Lesh
2011-07-29, 10:49 AM
Zedel continues to pick up speed, running as fast as he can to get within the stable. Oh, dear ancestors. I'm going to feel this in the morning. Zedel thinks as he runs into the burning stable.

I will do one for two things depending if I am in charge range of a goblin (40 ft)

1. If I am not in range of a goblin, I will run to the door way of the stable, hold there, and assess the situation.
AC 21
HP 6

2. If I am in range of a goblin, I charge attack it.
attack roll: [roll0]
damage roll [roll1]
crit confirm if needed: [roll2]
AC 19
HP 6

Qualia
2011-07-31, 09:30 AM
Trig throws a dagger at Red Cloak, but the goblin is zig zagging as it runs, and the monks blade flies wide. As Trig quickly unslings his bow, Redcloak is caught by Skalan’s enchantment and it stumbles to a stop, a glazed expression in its eyes. Charging up to complete an encirclement around the unfortunate creature is Aurelius, who closes to within 30’ of the greenskin who now has nowhere to go.

Standing nearby, Bimpwicket unleashes a deadly bolt, which catches the remaining goblin archer in its eye. It drops its bow, and keels slowly backwards. As it hits the ground, the gnome’s conjured eagle drops onto it and starts to tear strips out of it with its wickedly sharp beak.

The goblin fleeing from the well reaches the wall, and with a cry of “Too many!” disappears into a hole.

Marcus charges after Zedel towards the stables, and is 30’ or so behind him. As Zedel reaches the doorway to the stable, he can see one goblin, mounted on a hairless dog sized steed, its horse chopper in his hands. On the floor lay 3 dead mules. A horse is in a panic, injured it’s jumping and kicking as it tries to keep its tormentor at bay. Across the way in the stockroom, two goblins can be seen rummaging through the boxes of supplies that were shipped up this morning.

Just past the stables, Zedel can hear the panicked cries of Horus, chained up to the old kennels. Just out of reach of the hippogrif, a goblin with a crazed grin on its face is pouring the last of a small oil flask in a trail away from the the kennels. It finishes the task, then steps over towards a flaming torch that has been left spiked in the ground. It lets out an insane giggle as it contemplates what it is about to do.

King Tius
2011-07-31, 10:14 AM
OOC: "closes to within 30' " are my magic words!

Aurelius lets out a war shout as he charges towards Redcloak, bringing his greatsword to bear.

AC reduced to 15 until my next turn because of the charge

stack
2011-07-31, 12:50 PM
Marcus charges forward, death in his eyes, to strike down the torch bearing goblin, "Horus!"

charge the torch goblin if possible, eating AOO's if necassary, if not then attacks a nearby one to keep Zedel from getting flanked.

attack [roll0] (includes charge, +1 extra if I can hear the bard song still)
damage [roll1]
crit confirm [roll2]

AC 17 (after -2 from charge) HP 6

Bhaakon
2011-07-31, 01:58 PM
Seeing that the other have redcloak in hand, trig runs to help those at the burning stable.

if I can move enough to reach get a shot at him, fire an arrow at the goblin threatening to burn the kennel
attack [roll0] +1 if it's within 30', +1 if I can hear the bard song
damage [roll1] +1 if within 30', +1 if in range of bard song

Bhaakon
2011-07-31, 02:00 PM
crit confirm [roll0] again +1 if within 30', and +1 if within range of bard song
crit damage [roll1] +2 if within 30'. +2 for bard song

Conundrum
2011-08-01, 12:38 AM
Bimpwicket glances around, quite proud of his marksmanship. Seeing that the goblins seem to be routing, so he turns back towards the door from which the dwarf had been yelling, even as his eagle swoops down to prey upon the dazed Redcloak.

"Dwarf!" he calls in his loudest and most heroic voice. "We have driven away the goblins! Gather any who would care for the town, and bring them to help put out the fires!"

Eagle Attack: [roll0]
Eagle Damage: [roll1]

Diplomacy to convince the dwarf to help: [roll2]

jjj54
2011-08-01, 02:39 AM
This time Bimpwicket earns a nod of respect from the Shoanti. With the situation seemingly in hand near the well, Skalan heads for the stables, where some of the goblins may still be causing havoc.

"Keep bringing up water," Skalan called back at the carpenter, "My companions might need me at the stables."

Free action to continue last innate round of bardic music. Double move to reach the stables.
HP 10
AC 15

Kon Lesh
2011-08-01, 03:58 PM
Ok, only a few. I should Marcus runs past. Sigh, and I like him too. Zedel charges forward in between Horus and the goblin. Zedel then swings his flail around and strikes the goblin.

Charge move action
Attack with charge and bard bonuses[roll0]
damage [roll1]
AC 19 HP 6

Qualia
2011-08-02, 02:59 PM
Aurelius’ charges straight at the dazed Redcloak. The goblin raises an arm to ward off the greatsword, but the paladin’s blade cleaves straight through the arm, then then deep into the chest. The goblin lets out a scream, but its punctured lung quickly kills the cry in its throat. As it lays there gurgling, Bimpwicket’s eagle dives down and pecks out its eyes with its razor bill. The dwarf pops his head out the doorway to check on the condition of his property. Satisfied it is not in danger, he returns to his house and slams the door. Meanwhile, the Carpenter is aided by several people from the tavern who assist him in using well water to start putting out fires.

Marcus charges the goblin menacing Horus, and prevents it from lighting the oil as it grabs for a torch, shattering the creatures arm. It reaches for the torch with its other arm, but an arrow from Trig catches it with a grazing blow, delaying its grab.

Skalan breaks into a run, racing to catch up with his colleagues at the stables, just in time to watch Zedel smash the pyromaniac goblin in the ribs as it reaches for the torch. As it shouts out in pain, in grabs the torch, but rather than ignite Horus, it turns the torch on Marcus, burning the ranger in the leg

Marcus, take 4 points of damage

At this point, the mounted goblin with the horse chopper charges out of the stables and straight at Skalan. The storm caller is able to parry the horse chopper with his spear, but the fangs of the hairless rat it rides lunges for Skalan’s face. He manages to block the attack with his arm, but is left with a vicious wound to his left forearm.

Skalan takes 5 points of damage and make a Fort save DC 12

From the warehouse, the sounds of boxes being turned over continues to be heard along with cries of “Find the Precious!”

King Tius
2011-08-02, 03:26 PM
Aurelius Stormscale
Again the young Paladin will launch himself into a charge, this time towards the goblin and his mount. He'll go for the rider first, knowing that the mount will be easier to deal with once its master is dead.

"Do you hear that? What is it they could be looking for? Let's kill this one quickly and go find out!"

AC reduced to 15 until my next turn because of the charge

stack
2011-08-02, 03:39 PM
"GAAH," Marcus jerks his leg back from the torch. He hack downward at the prone goblin, hoping to separate its ungainly head from its bleeding body.

attack [roll0] (include +4 for a prone target)
damage [roll1]
crit confirm if needed [roll2] 11 total damage (see OOC thread, cause I needed to crit the wounded, prone goblin)

AC 19, HP 2

I can't take much more of this. Why is the floor moving like that?

Conundrum
2011-08-02, 04:50 PM
Bimpwicket glares with disgust at the dwarf's closed door. Maybe I should not reserve all my contempt for humans, he thinks as he hears the continued commotion from the stables and warehouse.

He turns and moves across the courtyard, his eagle circling above him.

Double move across the courtyard, get as close to the warehouse as I can. (20ft speed).

Bhaakon
2011-08-02, 05:16 PM
With his comrades dealing with the mounted goblin, Trig looses a pair of arrows at its rat-like mount. You won't be escaping like the others.

use flurry
[roll0] attack 1 (+2 more if in range of bard song and point-blank shot)
[roll1] attack 2 (+2 more if in range of bard song and point-blank shot)
[roll2] damage 1 (+2 more if in range of bard song and point-blank shot)
[roll3] damage 2 (+2 more if in range of bard song and point-blank shot)

AC:16
HP: 4

Kon Lesh
2011-08-02, 06:34 PM
Seeing Marcus dig his sword down into the goblin, Zedel drops his flail and grabs the torch before it can roll away. Then, plunge the torch into a water bucket. "You ok, Marcus?"

free action to drop my flail
If needed, a disarm attempt to take the torch (6 base -4 from using empty hand) [roll0]
use my move action to get to a bucket of water and drop it in.
AC 21 HP 6

stack
2011-08-02, 07:59 PM
"I'll hold together," I hope, "Let's finish this, have to keep everyone safe."

I hope all that blood isn't mine.

jjj54
2011-08-03, 01:48 AM
As the goblin's mount chewed his flesh, Skalan's eyes lit in rage as he bit back a cry of pain that would only give satisfaction to it's rider. Instead he drew on much deeper reserves and swung his spear for all he was worth to tear the rat thing in twain.

Fort save [roll0]
Knowledge: Nature to figure out what this thing is and what it can do. [roll1]
Spending two action points to continue the bardic music for one more round with a free action. Move action to wield the spear properly again. Swift for arcane strike. Standard to attack the mount. [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

jjj54
2011-08-03, 01:49 AM
Oops, forgot
AC 15
HP 5

Qualia
2011-08-03, 05:56 AM
Aurelius charges, his great sword swinging in a huge arc. The goblin rider is too busy dealing with Skalan to notice, and so it comes as a huge surprise when the blade smashes into its back, sending it tumbling from its mount.

Marcus slashes his sabre at the downed goblin with expert timing, severing the neck as Zedel wrestles the torch from the goblins hand before it can ignite the oil. Thrusting the torch into a water bucket, the danger is averted

Bimpwicket hurries across the courtyard as the people from the tavern continue to attempt to put out fires. The flaming mule continues to charge madly around the courtyard, but its movements are slowler and it will soon be dead, though the smell of burnt hair will linger sometime longer.

Bimpwicket, please make a perception check

The goblin mount is surprisingly agile, and manages to avoid Trig’s first arrow. The monk quickly notices the creatures pattern, and manages to tag it with his second arrow, catching it in its flank. Slowed by its wound, Skalan is able to connect with a spinning blow that cleaves the rat thing in twain, and it expires messily on the floor.

Rolling to its feet, the goblin rider lets out a wail of despair at the death of its mount. With an amazing display of strength for a creature so small, it hefts its horse chopper and spins round, catching Aurelius in the hip with a crunching blow that almost breaks the paladins leg. With tears streaming down its face, it then leaps at Skalan screaming “Blood for blood!” Its axe blade bites deep into the storm callers shoulder, as pain shoots through his whole body. This wound will leave a glorious scar.

Aurelius takes 7 points of damage
Skalan takes 4 points of damage

You are both flanking the goblin

stack
2011-08-03, 07:10 AM
Marcus gathers himself and quickly takes stock of the situation. (to Zedel) "Two in the stock room, I'll follow you. Wouldn't want you to slip on my trail." He gives a wane smile. "No rest for the stupidly courageous. This town owes us a drink." I hope there is two, hate to be seeing double before getting back to the tavern.

after Zedel moves and attacks, Marcus will charge either the same target is possible (and its not dead), or the other goblin.

attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

AC 17 from charge, HP 2

King Tius
2011-08-03, 07:23 AM
Aurelius Stormscale HP: 3/11
Reeling from the pain of the blow that nearly took his leg, Aurelius drops back into a defensive stance, sacrificing some of his damage potential to better protect himself. All this charging around the battlefield had been careless and now the young paladin was paying for it.

Full Round Action: Shield of Swings
Halves Damage, Boosts AC/CMD by 4
AC now at 21

OOC: Rather than roll my normal dice and divide, I rolled 1d6 and added half my strength bonus. It's about the same and should make your life a little easier!

Kon Lesh
2011-08-03, 11:10 AM
*Blink, Blink*"You're alright Marcus."Guess all rangers aren't idiots And with a smile, he draws his flail again and charges into the storeroom, attacking the closest goblin.

Into storeroom and attack
attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]
AC 19 HP 6

Bhaakon
2011-08-03, 03:29 PM
Seeing the dismounted goblin nearly fell both Skalan and Aurelius, Trig desperately works his bow.

flurry
[roll0] attack 1 (includes bard song, add another +1 if within 30')
[roll1] damage 1 " " "
[roll2] attack 2 " " "
[roll3] damage 2 " " "

jjj54
2011-08-03, 08:32 PM
While Aurelius takes the defensive Skalan opts for the opposite approach. "Blood for blood," he hisses through the pain as he brings his spear down on the rider.

Bardic effect ends. Swift for arcane strike. Standard to attack. [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Conundrum
2011-08-03, 09:42 PM
I rolled a 12 on the perception check in the OOC thread... assuming the results won't be critical to my actions this turn.

Bimpwicket rounds the corner into the storeroom and sees the goblins attacking his two companions. He takes careful aim and fires at the one not engaged by Zedel and Marcus, and his eagle swoops in under the door behind him to attack the other from behind.

Move to get into the warehouse (or at least in line of sight of the people inside).

Crossbow attack: [roll0]
Crossbow damage: [roll1]

Eagle attack: [roll2] (with flank)
Eagle damage: [roll3]

Qualia
2011-08-04, 05:13 AM
With the threat of the fire averted, Zedel hefts Iron Void and charges into the warehouse, smashing the flail into the nearest goblin who is busy rooting through a box. Marcus follows in behind, moving a little slower from his many injuries, and the panicked creature is no longer surprised and is somehow able to block the rangers sabre thrust with the lid of a box.

Outside the warehouse, Aurelius is the subject of a flurry of frenzied blows the the goblin rider, but his mastery of the great sword enables him to ward off the attacks. Trig tries to catch the attacker with two rapid shots from his bow, but in the chaos of combat, he’s not able to get a clean shot without risking hitting an ally. Skalan drives his spear at the goblins chest, forcing the small creature to sidestep to avoid being impaled. This creates an opening for the paladin to smash the goblins horse chopper aside and lands a devastating blow to its oversized head, sending a spray of blood across the Stormscales armour. The goblins arm spasms as it makes a pathetic grab for Skalan, but there is no power behind it and the creature slowly collapses to the ground. It is dead before it even hit’s the ground.

As the goblin rider falls, Bimpwicket finally catches up with his colleagues, huffing and puffing, with his crossbow at the ready. He rounds the corner and spots two goblins. One is engaged by Zedel and Marcus, the other is scrabbling for a weapon. As it reaches for its blade, the gnome unleashes his bolt, catching the creature in its thigh and drawing an ear piercing screech. Rounds. Following in, Bimpwickets conjured eagle swoops in and rakes the back of the goblin who is trying to hold off Zedel and Marcus. The force of the impact sends the goblin sprawling into a crate, knocking it over and sending its contents scattering across the floor. The small black balls suddenly grow legs and becomes a moving carpet as hundreds of small spiders start to flee the room, the swarm heading straight for Bimpwicket who stands guard in the doorway.

The last surviving goblin throws up its hands and begs for mercy “Me surrender! Me surrender! Take pity on poor Boltnose. Me no hurt no-one.”

stack
2011-08-04, 07:31 AM
Marcus readies his blade, but does not strike the surrendering creature. "Zedel, I'll guard this one, you go out and see if there are any more. I'll bring it out and see if I can get someone to tie it up. You're in better shape if they still have fight in them."

He starts pushing the goblin ahead of him, then sees Horus and has an idea. Marcus shoves the goblin to the ground near the hippogriff, then unties him. After quickly checking the goblin for daggers, he has Horus stand over him, "Down Horus, stay. Don't eat him unless he moves."

perception [roll0]
handle animal [roll1]
Intimidate [roll2]

I'm assuming this is an auto-pin. Horus's CMD is 19.

"That should hold him for a bit. Figure out what to do with him later. Might know something" Marcus looks at the creature doubtfully, "Unlikely, but you never know."

King Tius
2011-08-04, 07:48 AM
Aurelius Stormscale
The young paladin immediately begins to look about for other goblin threats. Should the area prove clear, he cleans off and sheathes his sword before taking a minute to lean up against the well and catch his breath and check his wounds. If there are more fires that need to be put out, he grabs a bucket and starts helping the townsfolk.

Attack if needed: [roll0]

jjj54
2011-08-04, 09:45 AM
With the death of the rider, Skalan finally begins to feel the effects of his wounds. With a pained sigh he reaches for his healing potion and gulps down the entire thing. Soon enough he feels the magic burn as it accelerates his healing process. As it does he looks over at the paladin as they silently move back towards the town square to help with the dowsing of the fires.

"By all the spirits..." Skalan says, finally breaking the silence, "At least it seems that the worst of the attack is over for now.

Drinks his cure light wounds potion, healing [roll0] HP

AC 15
HP 1+ potion result

Bhaakon
2011-08-04, 03:51 PM
With the rider fallen, Trig moves towards Bimpwicket and the stable door just in time to hear the pathetic cries of the surrendering goblin. Not today, child killing wretch. As Trig readies an arrow to finish the thing off he spots the horde of spiders, and instead dances out of the way of the vermin. His rage momentarily abated by surprise arrival of the apparently magical swarm, Trig scans the are for a lidded crate or pot which might be used to capture a few of the spiders. Could this be what those green mongrels were searching for?

Conundrum
2011-08-04, 04:43 PM
"They were looking for something," Bimpwicket says, "we should find out wha..." He trails off as he stares at the swarm blanketing the floor. His face goes pale and his mouth hangs open slightly.

Then, all at once, he seems to regain control of his motor functions, turns, and runs screaming back into the courtyard.

The eagle, of course, eagerly starts devouring the pests.

Kon Lesh
2011-08-04, 07:09 PM
"No problem, Marcus." Zedel gives a second to look at the spiders. Is this what they were looking for? I'll leave it to the spellcasters to question. Zedel goes out from the stables and looks around for any more of the goblins. If he finds none then he will go over and help to put out any remaining fires.

Perception check if needed [roll0]