PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Alchemist and Bomb Optimization

panaikhan
2011-07-04, 07:17 AM
As the title says - I want to get the most 'bang for my bomb'.

I am scouring through the feats, and trying to make my bomb the baddest it can be.
So far, the only increases I can find, are Point Blank Shot for an extra +1 damage within 30ft, and Vital Strike for the odd extra dice damage.

Are there other ways?
I know Deadly Aim doesn't work, neither does Improvised Weapon Mastery (bombs don't count as 'improvised', even if you do make them up on the spot).

The Gilded Duke
2011-07-04, 07:31 AM
Not sure about more damage, but there are plenty of ways to get more bombs per turn. The alchemist in my game has a setup with Quick Draw, Rapid Shot, Two Weapon Fighting.

panaikhan
2011-07-04, 07:36 AM
I'm not actually looking for more bombs per turn.
I'm planning on moving around a lot (and am taking Wind Stance as soon as I am able).
My L20 build (which is a pyromaniac gnome and includes levels in Master Chymist) gets a fire bomb up to 14D6, but that's about it.

Larpus
2011-07-04, 08:13 AM
Well, I don't remember nor know many feats for thrown weapons as I've never used them.

But Alchemis bombs have an obvious damage cap associated to them (very justified seeing how you can throw 3-4 of them a turn easily), so I'd say the best route for them is to factor in the Alchemist Discoveries, adding secondary effects to the mix.

EDIT: Btw, if you want the most is better damage, then maybe Half-Orc with the Alchemist fav class reward (+1/2 to bomb damage) option might be better, since by going straight Alch your final bomb damage will be 10d6*1.5 or 10d6+10d3 (depending on how your DM understands the wording).

Floeter
2011-07-04, 10:53 AM
I think you have the favored class bonus wrong. The Orc gets +1/2 level bonus damage. meaning that instead of waiting till level 3 to get a 2d6 bomb, he gets it at level 2. It just moves progression 1level faster.

Blisstake
2011-07-04, 11:09 AM
I think you have the favored class bonus wrong. The Orc gets +1/2 level bonus damage. meaning that instead of waiting till level 3 to get a 2d6 bomb, he gets it at level 2. It just moves progression 1level faster.

Um... no. It means you add half your alchemist level to bomb damage. So at level 1 and 2, your bombs do 1 more damage. At level 20, they do 10 more damage. I think that's at least on par with an hp bonus.

Half-Orcs make amazing alchemists for more reasons beside the extra bomb damage. Falchion proficiency works well with all the self buffs (including mutagen!), and the extra action you get when reduced to under 0hp can keep you in the game longer.

Floeter
2011-07-04, 11:26 AM
The following options are available to all half-orcs who have the listed favored class.

Alchemist: Add +1/2 to bomb damage.

I don't think I have it right and I don't think you have it right either. It not level dependent. It is just a +1/2 to bomb damage. Another way that this could be interpreted is that when someone saves for 1/2 damage, they gain that extra point because of the +1/2. I'm positive that you do not gain a +5d6 on a base +10d6 bomb.

Anyone else have some insight?

Prime32
2011-07-04, 11:31 AM
I've done a homebrew archetype for this, if you're interested
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11950

Otherwise, you could try being a Monk of the Empty Hand and treating your bombs as improvised weapons.

Thefurmonger
2011-07-04, 11:36 AM
I don't think I have it right and I don't think you have it right either. It not level dependent. It is just a +1/2 to bomb damage. Another way that this could be interpreted is that when someone saves for 1/2 damage, they gain that extra point because of the +1/2. I'm positive that you do not gain a +5d6 on a base +10d6 bomb.

Anyone else have some insight?

Yes each level you take it you add 1/2 to the bomb damage.

Take it twice? +1 damage.

Take it all 20 times? +10 damage.

It works like all the other 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 in the APG

Blisstake
2011-07-04, 11:44 AM
I don't think I have it right and I don't think you have it right either.

No, I have it right. It means every time you take a favored level in alchemist, you get +1/2 to your bomb damage. Multiply your alchemist level by 1/2, and that's your extra bomb damage. That's how similarly worded favored class variants work as well.

panaikhan
2011-07-05, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the input.
I was going 'pyromaniac gnome', to speed up the dice progression one level (for fire anyway), and to get extra bombs.
I was just wondering if there was a way within the rules to pep them up a bit.
GM doesn't allow homebrew unfortunately, and I don't have Ultimate Magic (yet).

NamelessNPC
2011-07-05, 10:39 PM
How did you get to 14d6?

MeeposFire
2011-07-06, 12:13 AM
vital strike perhaps?

panaikhan
2011-07-06, 07:05 AM
14d6.
If you are a pyromaniac gnome, L20 gives you 11D6.
Dipping enough levels into Master Chymist pushes your BAB up far enough to qualify for Greater Vital Strike, for an extra 3D6 (the wording for bomb damage specifically mentions this feat chain).

Edit - just for the lulz, that 14D6 fire bomb can also do (14+Int bonus) fire damage to everything within 10ft of the target, and set the target on fire until he puts himself out (explosive bombs)

NamelessNPC
2011-07-07, 10:48 AM
In my experience, the best way to play it is using full attack with TWF and/or Rapid shot, throwing 1 bomb to each enemy to control them.

Frost bomb gets them staggered, fort save.
Stinking bomb gets them nauseated, for save.
Force bomb knocks them prone, reflex save.

Dispelling bomb, smoke bomb, blinding bomb, etc

Of course, if you want to go running around blowing people's heads with vital explosions to their faces I'm sure it can be effective. Bomb away

Grizzled Gryphon
2014-02-13, 12:43 AM
don't discount Shock Bomb. the direct target is Dazzled for 1D4 rounds with no save.

grarrrg
2014-02-13, 12:59 AM
don't discount Shock Bomb. the direct target is Dazzled for 1D4 rounds with no save.

TURN UNTHREAD!!