PDA

View Full Version : Technicians (Blood, Sand and ...)

Milo v3
2011-07-04, 07:56 AM
There is a type of homebrew class called "Technicians". So far there are only two the orginal "Sandbender (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Sandbender_(3.5e_Class))") and my technician "Bender of the Sanguine (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Bender_of_the_Sanguine_(3.5_Class))" (Which isn't finished yet).

The thing is now I want to make a campaign were there is technicians instead of mages and I want at least three types of Technicians. We have one for Wisdom (Sand) and one for Charisma (Blood) but I can't think what the technician of Intelligence would be. And once we decide how would they use it?

Solaris
2011-07-04, 04:40 PM
Technomagic?

Drynwyn
2011-07-04, 09:47 PM
Electricity would be interesting. It fits with an INT-based technician. The would have to give it the ability to overcome resistance/immunity.

Milo v3
2011-07-04, 11:18 PM
I don't think electricity would work. How would you collect electricity so that you can use it for your abilities?

Ashtagon
2011-07-05, 12:10 AM
I don't think electricity would work. How would you collect electricity so that you can use it for your abilities?

Batteries?

Halna LeGavilk
2011-07-05, 12:17 AM
I think acid would fit better. Collect it in glass vials.

Milo v3
2011-07-05, 12:21 AM
Batteries?
I don't think that would work in a medieval tech-level world.

I think acid would fit better. Collect it in glass vials.
How would you manipulate acid anyway other than "Melting Things"?

Ashtagon
2011-07-05, 12:40 AM
Okay, how about Leyden jars? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leyden_jar)Or bronze age batteries (http://www.world-mysteries.com/sar_11.htm)?

Milo v3
2011-07-05, 12:45 AM
Okay that makes more sense. But how would they use it other than I hit you with electricity.

Eurus
2011-07-05, 08:03 AM
Okay that makes more sense. But how would they use it other than I hit you with electricity.

Clearly you've never played Infamous. Electricity is maaaaagic. :smalltongue:

But let me think. It seems like both classes so far use materials that are physical, even though they're somewhat fluid. The question is, do you want to keep that theme, or go with something slightly different like a gas to compliment the current solid/liquid balance?

DiBastet
2011-07-05, 09:42 AM
Blastin with eletricity? How about making light? Movement, like, animating items? Sending messages over long distances? Tesla gun?

Man, I would so play a char like this to be Tesla!

ScrambledBrains
2011-07-05, 12:23 PM
While I have nothing to offer in terms of a third technician, I feel I should offer a warning in that the Sandbender is not quite as cool as one might think(As was explained to me here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204132 ). I have nothing to say on your creation however, and I hope it's going to be as cool as it could be once you have it finished. :)

Mulletmanalive
2011-07-05, 12:38 PM
Gold might be a classic, considering it's a sort of "higher metal" to old alchemy. Metal bending, with it's limited volume and less flexible nature would also suit something that's keyed to intelligence as it would require thought to get it to work properly.

Quicksilver would be another option that's emblematic of intelligence.

While I have nothing to offer in terms of a third technician, I feel I should offer a warning in that the Sandbender is not quite as cool as one might think(As was explained to me here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204132 ). I have nothing to say on your creation however, and I hope it's going to be as cool as it could be once you have it finished. :)

You'll notice that's a comparison against full casters, not the non-casting classes. Without other full-casters to compare it to, most of those complaints [being combarisons] aren't technically valid.

ScrambledBrains
2011-07-05, 01:02 PM
^Fair enough. I was considering actually playing a Sandbender in some future campaign, but the guy who helped me analyze it claimed it wouldn't be feasible, according to his logic. Shame, I really wanted to give it a go. :smallsigh:

Milo v3
2011-07-05, 05:42 PM
Clearly you've never played Infamous.
No and I never will. Why, because Alex Mercer has better powers, makes more sense, has actual character development, and is better at parcour than Ethan will ever be.

But let me think. It seems like both classes so far use materials that are physical, even though they're somewhat fluid. The question is, do you want to keep that theme, or go with something slightly different like a gas to compliment the current solid/liquid balance?
Maybe I do like how it links with the others.

Blastin with eletricity? How about making light? Movement, like, animating items? Sending messages over long distances? Tesla gun?

Blasting is just sending electricity. Creating light works by sending electricity through something will a high resistance causing heat and light. Electricity isn't gravity manipulating so I don't know how it can animate objects. Sending messages, that would only work as Electobender to Electrobender but It would work.

I changed the per day abilities to per encounter, the abilities are more offensive, you can get the power to turn your blood into weapons & armor which you are automatically proficient with.

Gold might be a classic, considering it's a sort of "higher metal" to old alchemy. Metal bending, with it's limited volume and less flexible nature would also suit something that's keyed to intelligence as it would require thought to get it to work properly.
I like it but it is kind of similar to some of the blood bending abilities. This is because I'm making many of the Blood powers work by concentrating the iron in the blood.

Quicksilver would be another option that's emblematic of intelligence.

Mercury Bender.... Hm... Interesting.

You'll notice that's a comparison against full casters, not the non-casting classes. Without other full-casters to compare it to, most of those complaints [being combarisons] aren't technically valid.

Also notice that your comparing a class to insanely overpowered classes. And as he said as this world has no other mages those are't valid complaints.

^Fair enough. I was considering actually playing a Sandbender in some future campaign, but the guy who helped me analyze it claimed it wouldn't be feasible, according to his logic. Shame, I really wanted to give it a go.
We you might like my Bender Of the Sanguine class then. Strangely I've already heard of someone say its disgusting.

Eurus
2011-07-05, 06:50 PM
Well, an obvious option might be water. It might not sound like a good candidate for an Int-based class, but controlling its solid/liquid/gas state changes and manipulating it precisely could require a lot of study and technical skill.

Solaris
2011-07-05, 08:52 PM
Sending messages, that would only work as Electobender to Electrobender but It would work.

Thunder disagrees with you.

Ashtagon
2011-07-05, 11:28 PM
Another obvious option for electricity would be creating flesh golems. Just ask Mary Shelley about that one.

Drynwyn
2011-07-06, 09:48 PM
On the topic of storing electricity, the class could store it in their own body- basically building up an extreme static charge. It wouldn't have to be consumed if you built off the idea of a circuit, with electricity flowing back into the technician after it was used.
Certain class features might work only when X amount of "Static Points" are stored. Perhaps an aura effect something like this:

Aura Of Lighning (Su)
Whenever you have more than X static points, all creatures within 5ft. of you take 1d4 points of electricity damage per two technician levels each round(Reflex half).

Milo v3
2011-07-06, 09:59 PM
Okay I think electricity is the way to go now. The points are going to work differently to both the other Technicians. The more electricity you have the more points you have. But each level will have a limit on how much you can hold without being damaged. And I like your idea about the circuit. I'll make it that you can make it a circuit or just discharge the electricity.