PDA

View Full Version : It all begun with the Elder Evils...

Fawsto
2011-07-04, 11:47 AM
Ok, then I was reading the Elder Evils, more specifically the entry about Atropos, so a question came to my mind: How in the nine hells the PCs protect themselves against sufocation and pressure problems when they arrive on the moonlet?

I could search for the spells to solve this, but my time is running short with a thousand university pappers to deliver during this week, so if you could help me, I would be grateful.

myancey
2011-07-04, 12:13 PM
I'm sure there isn't a ton on pressure--not even sure d&d has rules on that though. For continued breathing, I'd adapt an underwater breathing spell. And a more powerful version of Endure Elements should suffice for the cold, heat, and pressure stuffs.

If you're party is powerful enough to get there--they should be able to research this using a Spellcraft check or knowledge arcana. Then again, maybe they believe the moonlet is made of cheese...

mootoall
2011-07-04, 12:17 PM
Necklace of Adaptation and Ring of Sustenance.

Yora
2011-07-04, 12:18 PM
Pressure isn't really a problem in a vacuum. The difference in pressure is just as high as in 10m deep water.
The greatest problem is suffocation. After that, moisture on the eyes and in the mouth and nose turns into ice which damages the tissue, but a simple endure elements spell should protect from it. Breathing really is the biggest problem.

myancey
2011-07-04, 12:50 PM
Oh, and here are the SRD vacuum conditions in case you'd like them.

SRD

Targets subject to these conditions take 2d6 points of damage each from heat or cold and 1d4 points of damage from the vacuum each round. The target immediately begins to suffocate.

peacenlove
2011-07-04, 12:55 PM
Also the Avoid Planar Effects spell and similar spells in spell compendium should help if you treat Atropos or Outer Space as a different plane. I don't know how RAW deals with it however.
Amusingly Iron Body (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/ironBody.htm) mentions in its rules text that "However, you could survive the crushing pressure and lack of air at the bottom of the ocean—at least until the spell duration expires." However its short duration would make it unsuitable for longer expenditions.

Kuma Kode
2011-07-04, 12:56 PM
If nothing else, underwater breathing and a snug-fitting fishbowl should suffice. :smallamused:

Makiru
2011-07-04, 02:38 PM
There's also the book's suggestion of waiting until Atropos enters the atmosphere. Sure, you'll be on a time limit, but then all you have to worry about is the constant emanation of negative energy, which is solved by protection from negative energy or death ward (I think)

Zonugal
2011-07-04, 02:46 PM
There is also one of the domains in Stormwrack which offers immunity to pressure damage as its domain power.

Bob the DM
2011-07-04, 07:15 PM
The pressure difference between a vacuum is nothing like 10m underwater. There is no pressure in space. Since there is nothing "pushing in" on your lungs if you took a deep breath first, your lungs would actually explode. Your arteries/veins also literaly turn into reverse pressure cookers (ie. in a pressure cooker the air pressure increases and raises the boiling point of fluids so you can heat water higher than 100 degree C, in space the pressure drops so drasticaly that the opposite occurs and the boiling point of your blood drops drasticaly), your blood and other fluids actualy starts to boil. The only way to suvive it in a DnD setting is to treat it like it's a different plane and have a spell akin to planar adaption cast. Then you can worry about the lack of breathable air.

mootoall
2011-07-04, 07:26 PM
The pressure difference between a vacuum is nothing like 10m underwater. There is no pressure in space. Since there is nothing "pushing in" on your lungs if you took a deep breath first, your lungs would actually explode. Your arteries/veins also literaly turn into reverse pressure cookers (ie. in a pressure cooker the air pressure increases and raises the boiling point of fluids so you can heat water higher than 100 degree C, in space the pressure drops so drasticaly that the opposite occurs and the boiling point of your blood drops drasticaly), your blood and other fluids actualy starts to boil. The only way to suvive it in a DnD setting is to treat it like it's a different plane and have a spell akin to planar adaption cast. Then you can worry about the lack of breathable air.

Read Necklace of Adaptation. "A shell of air" implies a movable, Earth-like atmosphere to me.

Bob the DM
2011-07-04, 07:30 PM
So then use the necklave of adaption. :)
I'm just explaining the actual dangers of the vacuum so you can make an informed choice. ;)

Tvtyrant
2011-07-04, 07:32 PM
Use Spelljammer rules and fly your jammer over the surface. Actually an Atropus spelljammer game would be pretty sweet.