PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Campaign idea

DragonsAion
2011-07-04, 12:43 PM
Plot Idea that's been running in my head for while is one based on a game I was in not to long ago. The idea was that the players played monster PC's that were raised in an orphanage/school away from the influence of their race so they were all of good alignment no matter their nature. At the start of the game the sheltered orphans were starting to see just how cruel the real world was to their kind. Sadly the game died before it could fully take off.

I'm thinking of running a campaign like it but instead of monster races using templates and/or PC races with up to +4 LA maybe. The idea being the orphans were abandoned due to their taint or that their parents had no choice but to give them up in order for them to live, etc.

your thoughts?

Yora
2011-07-04, 01:14 PM
Well, of course you can make a campaign with unusual player races. But have you anything else in mind beyond that?

DragonsAion
2011-07-04, 01:56 PM
I was thinking of doing it in acts. Like act 1 would be the rude awakening where they found out that the love and warmth of the orphanage/school is not the norm and that the rest of the world sees them as monsters that need to be killed.

Ardent
2011-07-06, 09:35 AM
It sounds like an interesting campaign, what kind of monster races where you thinking? Kobold, Goblin, Orc? Even more monstrous? I once played an Evil aligned Mindflayer character, but I guess that's off topic. :smallbiggrin:

Xanmyral
2011-07-06, 10:30 AM
Definitely sounds interesting, it is a question as to what races are choices though. Some really get the short end of the stick due to the fact that they are more meant to enemies then players. Ala, Hobgoblins and Gnolls, if I remember their stat blocks well enough.

Templates would work fine as well, I would suggest pointing the players to the more monstrous/drastic templates however, or the effect will be dulled if someone who basically looks human is discriminated against even though they look human.

Doktor Per
2011-07-06, 10:33 AM
The hardest thing about everyone has +4 LA, is finding balance for encounters, I speak from experience having had to deal with Shadowcreature Rogues, Vivacious Warlocks, Half-Nymph Amazons, Alu Demons and a Cocktail Ninja who had a constitution score of 36, alter self t will and burrowing speed. It makes it really easy for one guy to outshine another as well.

It's really hard to roleplay the good guy when everyone around you is acting like a prink to you specifically. As an example, you'd have to be really noble to be the black guy who saves the KKK from the BBEG. If you want them to be doing good, you might want to consider a more of a "Suicide Squad" structure, where they don't fit into society (and know it) and instead get to go on to do things because they're expendable "for the greater good" or what not.

It's very likely you'll wind up with a possible line up of Antagonists from a Metal Gear game.