PDA

View Full Version : Ocarina of Time 3D

Sipex
2011-07-04, 12:59 PM
Who's got this so far? Thoughts?

If you're interested but unsure my general thought is in it's overall state, it's Ocarina of Time. It feels like Ocarina of Time, it sounds like Ocarina of Time and (keeping in mind that the 3DS has a different control scheme) it controls like Ocarina of Time. If you want to play Ocarina of Time, this is it.

Graphics have been updated substationally, turning a lot of jagged graphics smooth including a lot of work to Link's sprite. A lot of detail has been added to the interior of homes and when combined with the 3D effects it all looks really nice.

3D is hit and miss. When you're wandering the field it can be hard to notice at times (although still noticable) while other times (with stuff in the foreground especially) it becomes very noticable.

I'm actually surprised there wasn't a topic for this already.

Sipex
2011-07-04, 02:22 PM
edit: This was kind of rushed before so I took some time to think out the main post and updated it.

Mando Knight
2011-07-04, 02:47 PM
I wants it, but have no money. The 3DS is on my electronic-devices-to-purchase list, above a 360 (my brother has one, and I've gotten a touch addicted to T3H H4L0s on it) but below a new computer.

Sipex
2011-07-04, 02:52 PM
It'll go down in price with time and more awesome games will come out too. Games are about $36 each so you should be able to catch up pretty quick once you get one.

littlebottom
2011-07-04, 04:12 PM
if i had the money to literally throw away, then yeah, i would get it, but ive already got ocarina of time in several forms before hand, including the master quest version on the game cube, so meh, i dont need to drop all that money just to play a (an admittedly great) game in 3D that i already own.

Zejety
2011-07-04, 04:22 PM
I'm currently at the start of the Ghost Themple.

As you've said, the game is OoT (+Master Quest). The graphics look great and 3D works very well (though there is some ghosting at times).

The touch menues feel like the original game was designed with a touch screen in mind.

I have to admit that I forgot just how good this game was/is.

TheLaughingMan
2011-07-04, 04:24 PM
I'm currently at the start of the Ghost Themple.

:smallconfused:

You mean the Shadow Temple, or the Bottom of the Well?

VanBuren
2011-07-04, 04:27 PM
:smallconfused:

You mean the Shadow Temple, or the Bottom of the Well?

What, you don't remember the Ghost Temple? Eh, it's just as well. The dungeon item was so broken.

TheLaughingMan
2011-07-04, 04:38 PM
The dungeon item was so broken.

Ohhh, you mean the thing with the thing?

That was ludicrous. Who needs the Master Sword with crap like that lying around?

Archonic Energy
2011-07-04, 05:09 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

*slaps Navi*

in other news... that bloody water temple.
is there a way to re-set the temples? i think i screwed this one up... Badly!

Comet
2011-07-04, 05:12 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

*slaps Navi*

in other news... that bloody water temple.
is there a way to re-set the temples? i think i screwed this one up... Badly!

I'll admit I haven't played this game in a long time, but my brain keeps telling me that setting up a temple into an unsolvable mess should be physically impossible. Maybe you're just overlooking some solution?

As for this 3D edition, I'll be getting it for sure. First I'll wait for the 3DS and the game to get cheaper, though.

Mando Knight
2011-07-04, 05:16 PM
I'll admit I haven't played this game in a long time, but my brain keeps telling me that setting up a temple into an unsolvable mess should be physically impossible. Maybe you're just overlooking some solution?

It's The Dreaded Water Temple. It's actually quite possible to make it an unsolvable situation, by putting the wrong key in the wrong door. This generally happens if you try to go towards the boss lair too early, leaving you with one item (the boss key?) and a key locked behind the last locked door in the temple.

Unfortunately, the only way to fix that is to restart the game.

VanBuren
2011-07-04, 06:06 PM
Ohhh, you mean the thing with the thing?

That was ludicrous. Who needs the Master Sword with crap like that lying around?

Seriously. Boots that let you walk through walls is just too much.

Comet
2011-07-04, 06:29 PM
It's The Dreaded Water Temple. It's actually quite possible to make it an unsolvable situation, by putting the wrong key in the wrong door. This generally happens if you try to go towards the boss lair too early, leaving you with one item (the boss key?) and a key locked behind the last locked door in the temple.

Unfortunately, the only way to fix that is to restart the game.

Interesting to know. I knew the Water Temple is annoying and all, but this is an entire new level of scaryness, for sure.

Deme
2011-07-04, 06:29 PM
So, question to those of you who've bought this:

Is it worth getting for someone who, while they have a 3DS, they also can play the original and the gamecube masterquest at very nearly anytime? Is there anything particularly interesting about this version, besides the touch menu?

I keep considering it, but then I also remember that I just re-played the n64 version in May.

Zevox
2011-07-04, 06:47 PM
I'm sure I'll pick this up eventually, but I don't have a 3DS yet. And it's looking increasingly unlikely that I'll get one until next year, since there aren't many games I want for it coming out this year (at least so far), and the impending releases of Disgaea 4 and Persona 2: Innocent Sin (plus pre-existing libraries) are tempting me to purchase a PS3 and/or PSP this year instead.

Zevox

littlebottom
2011-07-04, 07:46 PM
as far as i remember although sometimes it feels unsolvable, they made it so it wasnt... but only just, you have to find whatever it is you are missing, there has to be something your missing, a "secret" chest that only appears when you do something obscure like "play the ocarina in a spot that isnt actually clear it needs to be played here":smallamused:

to be honest, i dont have trouble with the water temple at all really anymore, except when i did it on master quest for the first time, MY MIND EXPLODED AGAIN!:smalleek:

Lord Seth
2011-07-04, 07:47 PM
I'm actually surprised there wasn't a topic for this already.There's not really that much to talk about, the game came out a long time ago and this is just a remake, and it's not even the first remake.

OracleofWuffing
2011-07-04, 08:33 PM
For the life of me, I can not remember the Water Temple being hard. I distinctly remember the Shadow Temple being moderately annoying, and I remember spending half an hour getting the dang bombs to fall in the right place in Young Link's Goron Dungeon Place, but I remember the whole Water Temple being a casual in and out affair with raising and lowering water heights. :smallfrown: I feel cursed because I'm missing out on the terror.

Did they fix the Infinite Skulltula Glitch for this release?

Mando Knight
2011-07-05, 12:55 AM
Did they fix the Infinite Skulltula Glitch for this release?

Maybe. Though, for old times' sake, they actually put in some of the old bugs as features.

Mystic Muse
2011-07-05, 12:58 AM
Maybe. Though, for old times' sake, they actually put in some of the old bugs as features.

Such as what?

Fri
2011-07-05, 04:34 AM
Man, people (including me) always says, "I want to buy a 3ds, but I'll wait until it's cheaper and the good games are up."

Really, I hope 3ds would survive until that point. How's the selling of 3ds so far?

Level8Mudcrab
2011-07-05, 06:35 AM
I want to get this game, but it, and a 3DS cost lots. I'll get it eventually though.

Sipex
2011-07-05, 10:03 AM
Ah, that explains the trouble, most people here don't have a 3DS to talk about the game.

I expect the system will last though, I had a pretty hard time finding a copy of OoT3D in my local gamestores and had to resort to the game section in a grocery store to get it (grocery stores with electronics sections are great for high profile games which are in high demand fyi).

Plus Luigi's Mansion 2! I will be eternally sad if the console dies before I get to play that.

Mando Knight
2011-07-05, 12:29 PM
Such as what?

I dunno. It was in an "Iwata Asks" article, and the dev team was a bit vague. You'd need to ask someone who's picked apart the game looking for exploits to find out.

Sipex
2011-07-05, 12:32 PM
One example I know off hand is the heart piece on top of Dodongo's Cavern. It's intended that you be an adult and use a floating bean sprout plant to get atop the cave but a glitch in the original game allowed you to get it as a child. You can backflip off the cliff over the low fence in front of the bomb flower near the entrance to the Goron City (the bomb flower you use to open the cavern actually) and land on the roof of the cavern to get the heart piece.

This is still possible in OoT3D.

edit: On another vein, I've found one thing I don't like about the 3DS joystick. It's not good for racing (basically the epona races). You have to keep forward held without faltering. It slowly slides out of my grip, making it hard to race like that. I found I had to pause in mid-race to adjust my grip before continuing.

Mistral
2011-07-05, 01:34 PM
Man, people (including me) always says, "I want to buy a 3ds, but I'll wait until it's cheaper and the good games are up."

Really, I hope 3ds would survive until that point. How's the selling of 3ds so far?

Impressive, and by "impressive" I mean "Wonderswan (http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/85877/nine-weeks-in-3ds-sales-have-dropped-to-wonderswan-levels/)." Didn't know Bandai made a console? Neither did I. :smalltongue:

To be fair, it's a bit better than that, since Ocarina of Time's release boosted 3DS sales figures back above the PSP (http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/86921/media-create-zelda-puts-3ds-back-into-first-place/). I don't think that it's going to be a very permanent thing, though. A spike here and there won't generally help without a better library overall. Likely, I'm just being unduly pessimistic; it's generally fair to say that it is my usual frame of reference, after all, and it's still easy enough for the 3DS to recover with the time brand trust will buy it.

Sipex
2011-07-05, 01:52 PM
I'd give it some time before judging, if there's one thing the internet has taught us is that making pre-judgements about this market tends to make you look stupid in 4-6 months when you're proven wrong.

Heck, there are people who are paid to make these sorts of judgements and they're wrong most of the time.

If the 3DS sales don't go up after it has a stronger library then I'd start worrying.

Zevox
2011-07-05, 01:59 PM
If the 3DS sales don't go up after it has a stronger library then I'd start worrying.
Indeed. For right now, the 3DS just doesn't have a lot of games to recommend it - the only launch title that was close to being "big" was Street Fighter 4 3D, and fighting games are a fairly niche market to begin with, probably even more so on handhelds. The remakes of Ocarina of Time and Star Fox 64 are the first big releases for the system, but even they'll probably not bring it into its own since they are just remakes. We'll be waiting for some of the big names that brought the 3DS so much hype when it was announced - Kid Icarus, Paper Mario, Mega Man Legends 3, and so on - before we can really tell how well the system will do.

Though honestly, I can't help but wonder if maybe Nintendo should've held off until some bigger games were ready for release to release the system at all, as having it develop the reputation of not having many good games can't be good for it no matter how you look at it.

Zevox

OracleofWuffing
2011-07-05, 02:30 PM
Come to think of it, I can think of another Nintendo system that was criticized for not having large big-name support in its first few months... That said, even my local store was sold out of Ocarina of Time 3D, so at least that title must be doing as expected.

I've not had complaints for the 3DS, but then again, I've yet to play a 3DS game that comes on a cart... Just the built-in software, Pokedex 3D, ExciteBike, and a fistful of DS games.

Oh, well, good to know that they intended that. For a moment there, I thought they were lazy, or maybe even rushed to meet a deadline and didn't have the time to QA. But no, if it's intentional, it's okay. :smallwink:

I dunno. It was in an "Iwata Asks" article, and the dev team was a bit vague. You'd need to ask someone who's picked apart the game looking for exploits to find out.
Huh. Wonder if they implemented the unused Arwing (http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Arwing) in to normal play?

Sipex
2011-07-05, 02:40 PM
There are apparently a few new hidden nintendo-esque easter eggs, so maybe.

If anyone knows what these are it would be great to know by the way.

Mando Knight
2011-07-05, 03:24 PM
Come to think of it, I can think of another Nintendo system that was criticized for not having large big-name support in its first few months...Like, pretty much all of them. The Gamecube's Rogue Leader was an exception. Unless you mean first-party rather than third-party developments, in which case you're right: it is odd. The only first-party software on the 3DS right now is the stuff included on the system or in the 3DS store.

Oh, well, good to know that they intended that. For a moment there, I thought they were lazy, or maybe even rushed to meet a deadline and didn't have the time to QA. But no, if it's intentional, it's okay. :smallwink:
Well, it would be all new bugs for OoT3D, if that were the case. They basically had to rebuild the entire game in order to get it to look and work properly with the 3DS specs.

OracleofWuffing
2011-07-05, 03:41 PM
Like, pretty much all of them.
Dang it, I was hoping that people would try to guess which system I was thinking of, and I'd just go, "No, I'm thinking of a different system," until we'd gone by them all and talked about how the best supported out of them was probably the Super Nintendo.

Well, it would be all new bugs for OoT3D, if that were the case. They basically had to rebuild the entire game in order to get it to look and work properly with the 3DS specs.
Certainly, yes, completely and entirely new bugs, that just so happen to be identical to bugs in the original game. :smallwink:

Zejety
2011-07-07, 05:07 PM
There are apparently a few new hidden nintendo-esque easter eggs, so maybe.

If anyone knows what these are it would be great to know by the way.

There's a Skyward Sword poster in the Gerudo's Fortress.

Sipex
2011-07-08, 02:43 PM
Just beat the Fire Temple and went back in time to do some extras.

I forgot how frustrating bombchu bowling is until you get the hang of angles.

Zejety
2011-07-10, 04:22 AM
Just beat the Fire Temple and went back in time to do some extras.

I forgot how frustrating bombchu bowling is until you get the hang of angles.

I didn't play bombchu bowling in the original. When It tried it a week or so ago, I did not even manage to hit the 2nd target. I have not tried it again ^^

Sipex
2011-07-11, 09:27 AM
The trick is to get the bombchus to go on the walls, especially for the final hole. It takes some practice though.

On the topic of the Water Temple, is it possible to mess it up? It seems this topic is divided on the opinion. I ask because I'm amidst the temple and am too afraid to save, lest I screw up.

I'm also sort of stuck but don't see how I could've done anything different.

Help?
So here's what I've done. I'll mark down any objects found, water levels changed or keys used.
1) Found the compass on the 2nd lower level.
2) Ran into Ruto on the 3rd lower level.
3) Dropped the water level to it's lowest (Green).
4) Found a key on the lowest level beyond the cracked floor in the room where you meet Ruto and used it on the center pillar to go up.
5) Found the map around this point.
6) Raised the water to mid level (Red).
7) Found a key in the bomb-able wall in the room you meet Ruto. You need the water to be at Red level to get here.
8) Used my 2nd key to get to the highest water level (Blue).

So I've found and used 2 keys and found access to all the water level stations but I'm essentially back where I started. Water level is at what it starts at and I have 0 keys.

edit: Nvm, I figured it out. I think I'm in the clear.

Triaxx
2011-07-12, 06:16 AM
I always have to mention this, but if you're missing a key in the Water Temple, raise the water level to it's second setting, and inside the central pillar there's a floating block. Strap on your iron boots, and drop down to the center walk way. Now you can get under the block and into a small room with a couple of the clams. Kill those, and there's the 'missing' key.

I used to have trouble with the Water Temple, until I found that. Never a problem again.

Sipex
2011-07-12, 08:20 AM
Yeah, that's the one I found.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-07-12, 09:58 AM
That's ALWAYS the one. Anywho, I like it. And I find that because of the gyroscope, aiming is sooooo much easier. Or maybe it was that my controller sucked. In either case, I actually got 100% clear this time around!