PDA

View Full Version : Shifting Defense Swordsage Stance

Iamtheend
2011-07-04, 02:11 PM
Swordsage has a stance from the Setting Sun school called "Shifting Defense".

Seems that when an enemy declares that he is going to attack you that you get to move 5 feet taking up an AoO for the round.

1. So in Melee combat an attacker swings and before he hits I get to move. If I move from one threatened square to another threatened square does that attack still miss or is he able to redirect his attack into my current location he threatens too?

2. Is this stance activated by when I can take AoO's such as when I'm not flatfooted without Combat Reflexes? It seems to say that it's whenever I'm attacked so as long as I'm in this stance it seems flatfooted without CR or not I am allowed to take a 5 ft step.

3. Combat Reflexes or not if someone invisible attacks me can I use this and am I allowed to be aware of the direction of the attack in order to best dodge it?

4. This attack works with Ranged attacks too correct?

5. I've heard mention that if I activate a counter maneuver that I'm allowed to switch stances but swift actions can only be taken once per turn and only on your turn. Anyone elaborate if there is a way so do this?

Iamtheend
2011-07-05, 12:06 AM
One single bump

Eldariel
2011-07-05, 05:32 AM
1. So in Melee combat an attacker swings and before he hits I get to move. If I move from one threatened square to another threatened square does that attack still miss or is he able to redirect his attack into my current location he threatens too?

As long as they're attacking you and not the square you're in (which they might be doing if you're e.g. invisible and they lack the means to locate you), they should be able to attack you.

2. Is this stance activated by when I can take AoO's such as when I'm not flatfooted without Combat Reflexes? It seems to say that it's whenever I'm attacked so as long as I'm in this stance it seems flatfooted without CR or not I am allowed to take a 5 ft step.

Well, while flat-footed without CR, you wouldn't have any attacks of opportunity so you couldn't use the stance then. Other than that, yeah, as you would expect.

3. Combat Reflexes or not if someone invisible attacks me can I use this and am I allowed to be aware of the direction of the attack in order to best dodge it?

By RAW the trigger is an attack made on you, regardless of whether you're aware of it or not. DMs may rule differently, but by the book you'd be able to (though you'd gain no extra information such as the location of your attacker, just from being able to move).

4. This attack works with Ranged attacks too correct?

Yes.

5. I've heard mention that if I activate a counter maneuver that I'm allowed to switch stances but swift actions can only be taken once per turn and only on your turn. Anyone elaborate if there is a way so do this?

Counters are immediate actions. The way to do this is the Master of the Nine-prestige class which gains class feature called "Counter Stance" which does pretty much what you'd expect.

Andreaz
2011-07-05, 06:20 AM
Shifting defense lets you respond to an attack with an immediate 5' step that consumes an Attack of Opportunity instead of actions, similar to how an attack of opportunity doesn't consume the next round's actions.

You prepare the stance as normal in your turn and remain in it as long as you remain active.

If you moved to a place he can still hit with the attack he used and the attack was aimed at you instead of your location, he still attacks you.
If you have available AoOs, you can use this stance's power.
You don't have to be aware of the enemy to be able to use this. raw fluke.
Works with ranged attacks.
If you don't have a swift action available, you can't change stances.