PDA

View Full Version : help with new Pokemon hack

enderlord99
2011-07-04, 04:29 PM
I would like to make a new Pokemon hack. More accurately, I would like a PC version. Unfortunately, I don't know how to hack the ROM in video games. So... anyone want to do it for me? Please?? I would like it to have a Platinum base, and also allow you to travel to Hoenn. Include both the Emerald and Platinum battle frontiers please! Thanks:smallbiggrin:

EDIT: okay... not/barely possible. Oh well. thanks for telling me. @ prime32: nerf gun into ham sandwich? lol.

Prime32
2011-07-04, 05:08 PM
I would like to make a new Pokemon hack. More accurately, I would like a PC version.Um... this is about equivalent in difficulty to modding a Nerf gun into a ham sandwich.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to hack the ROM in video games. So... anyone want to do it for me? Please?? I would like it to have a Platinum base, and also allow you to travel to Hoenn. Include both the Emerald and Platinum battle frontiers please! Thanks:smallbiggrin:And you would like it to be larger than would fit into a console, with content equivalent to what a team of professionals working full-time can produce? Why can't you just play someone else's hack, if this is going to be someone else's hack anyway?

Mando Knight
2011-07-04, 05:30 PM
1.) 90% of Pokémon hacks are PC-patched ROM hacks, played on an emulator.
2.) You can't just splice stuff across Pokémon generations... actually, I wouldn't recommend doing it between different games in one generation, either. Between generations, the sprite sizes change (so you'll have to rebuild the area from scratch) and between III and IV the compatible system changes, and from even DPPt to HGSS there's some rather noticeable stylistic changes... and a couple engine modifications, such as swapping out Defog for Whirlpool in the HM pool.
3.) This is kinda the thing that you do yourself, or bug someone on a hack-oriented forum to do for you. This isn't the latter, though several hackers, code crackers, and slackers do hang with our chat room yakkers.

The second point is the big one because it's the most important visually. Gen III battle screen sprites are 64x64, including the trainers (the gym leaders and such are the most important here since they can't be replaced with newer sprites). Gen IV battle sprites can be larger--80x80--and important trainers get animated sprites starting with Platinum. Hoenn will look just odd if you don't get a designer to resize the sprites properly.

Also, you might run into some namespace issues (not sure how much extra space is available in the DS registry for you to add in extra data). And issues from a lack of Dive.

Basically, you'll need a dedicated team to modify the whole ROM, not just a simple script edit and copypasta job that some hacks do.

Deth Muncher
2011-07-05, 01:48 AM
I have nothing to add to this other than pointing out that I got Mando's Weird Al reference.

MoelVermillion
2011-07-05, 06:25 AM
I have nothing to add to this other than pointing out that I got Mando's Weird Al reference.

I didn't :smallfrown:. What was it?

Dogmantra
2011-07-05, 09:11 AM
I didn't :smallfrown:. What was it?

It was the bit about slackers code crackers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpMvS1Q1sos) etc.

DiscipleofBob
2011-07-05, 11:08 AM
From what little I've read up on the subject before deciding that it would be too difficult to do as a solo project, I found that 3rd-gen is apparently the easiest to do a hack of, and that if you look you can find the programming to bring over 4th-gen's phyiscal-special movesplit over to otherwise 3rd-gen mechanics.

The Glyphstone
2011-07-05, 11:25 AM
It was the bit about slackers code crackers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpMvS1Q1sos) etc.

It's all about the Pokemon, baby...

enderlord99
2011-07-05, 03:51 PM
Could you please lock the thread now that I know it probably won't happen, Glyphstone (since you're a mod and I also know you saw this thread (considering you posted in it ;)))

The Glyphstone
2011-07-05, 09:49 PM
It'd be better to send a report to the moderator staff in such cases, since there's no guarantee I would check this thread again after posting in it once.

Great Modthulhu: OP question answered, thread locked.