PDA

View Full Version : Got the ship, got the crew, now just need a job!

Locus
2011-07-04, 08:40 PM
Good evening playground! I another situation that could use a fresh set of creative minds.

The details: In an upcoming campaign, the party will be playing key crew members (navigator, boatswain, etc) aboard an airship. As they continue through the campaign, they will also be carrying on in their roles on the ship, because they need to continue to pay the crew, buy parts/fuel/upgrades/etc.

The problem: I'm trying to boil these side missions down to the bare bones of what they are and I've only been able to come up with a few. They can be on either side of the law, For example, transport missions, either people or cargo. Outright theft of people or cargo. Smuggling. Privateering. Scouting.

What might I be missing?

-D

golentan
2011-07-04, 08:55 PM
Racing. Bombing/fighting (if that's not included in privateering). But really, a ship gets used as either a transport or a weapon, so most missions can be summarized as that if you're boiling it down. You're overlooking a vast wealth within the categories I suspect.

Pink
2011-07-04, 08:57 PM
One word: cartography. Whether just surveying for a mapmaker who wishes to create the perfect map, or for a lord who wishes to know the lay of the land in the island newly under his possession, or military/pirates who wish to know the passages of a mist enclosed mass of rocks so that they can corner/escape those who venture within. Gives plenty of opportunity for random dangers and encounters and can easily leaf into stumbling upon new discoveries and quests.

Locus
2011-07-04, 09:04 PM
Racing sounds absolutely BRILLIANT! So much trouble that can lead to :)

Cartography! How did I miss that one?

Thanks for the start, I could use a few more if I am missing them :)

-D

fusilier
2011-07-04, 10:42 PM
I don't know the setting, but exploration (dovetails with cartography), or even a kind of record-setting. A good historical example would be Nobile in the Norge Airship, or the ill-fated Italia Airship. You did mention "scouting" which isn't quite the same as exploration in my mind (although they are similar). Airships can, in theory, get to places that may be inaccessible by other means or very difficult to reach (e.g. remote jungles or jungle/plateaus). Compared to an airplane, they have greater endurance and can land somewhat easier in ideal conditions.

Anxe
2011-07-04, 11:48 PM
Partying? You could design a mini adventure about a noble that wants to have his birthday on a ship. He offers a ridiculous sum of money to the players, so they don't refuse. One of the noble's guests is insulted by another guest or by one of the PCs. The guest demands a duel on the spot.

Or the old trope of a passenger who is actually a wanted criminal in disguise. Could be an evil murderer or could be a Princess Leia type. I think you already knew about this type of adventure hook though.

Wheel man for other adventurers who are robbing a bank or stealing from an evil empire or other such thing.

Goodwill missions? Dropping food to an area affected by a famine or cure disease potions and scrolls to a plagued area.

Pink
2011-07-05, 12:15 AM
You know...I totally didn't even catch that this was for an airship. Somehow I skipped over that. I'll have to see if I can think of anything else fun to do with that.

Vemynal
2011-07-05, 02:32 AM
wikipedia "One Piece"

childish but it has a lot of good influences that could be used with darker tones