PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Marvel Universe Role-Playing Game

Zaydos
2011-07-04, 08:53 PM
This one (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Universe_Roleplaying_Game)

First has anybody here actually played it?

I've ran one session with it and it was pretty fun but not something my group was particullarly into (only half of us cared about comics in the slightest); we'd just come to the intended end of a ~1.5 year 3.5 campaign and had decided to take a break for a week or two from D&D before continuing the campaign past its original end point, so we just played a session with its in-book intro adventure.

I found the character creation fairly simple, and the item rules able to be broken (although the pre-built items such as Cap's shield and Thor's hammer were cheaper than they ought to have been in character points and still weaker than ones you could make), the advantage where you had two forms a "normal" and a "super-hero" form a significant power boost over normal heroes, and powered armor another large scale power boost.

When we played the group was:
Character with green lantern style ring + ice man powers. Mostly useless because he was a jack-of-all-trades, master of none, style character (he had high wealth, mastery of ice, telekinesis, force fields, flight through telekinesis, and I forget what other powers but they were all at low levels). He used items, but instead of going for a flat +X weapon/+X armor (which are cheaper than buying those abilities in-born) he went with item that performed ability Y at X stones (not cost efficient) for many of his abilities.
A ghost (strongest telekinesis, create images, and Shadowcat's wall-walking power I forget what the game called it and the book is lost at the moment).
And an amnesiatic Jedi (Revan) from another dimension (lightsaber, telekinesis, lightning blasts, prescience, and good reflexes).

Now it might have just been the specific adventure but the Jedi did the most, in each combat he took on at least one, if not more, of the enemies (going toe-to-toe with Sabertooth in the final encounter). The ghost was actually quite useful (he stopped the machinery in the last encounter by accident, his image creation powers allowed creative uses, and he had the telekinesis required to actually affect the Blob), although I think he needed help every few turns to keep his red stones from running out. The ice-lantern was rather lack luster, his biggest use was when there was a fire and his ice powers helped control it, but for the most part his abilities were too weak to affect the enemies.

I did enjoy the strategic element of resource management in the game, and the emphasis on circumstance bonuses; as those can be what changes a fight from a definite win for one side or the other (although we saw little use of that in the session we played, with only the Jedi trying anything clever for which he did get a bonus that proved quite useful against Saber-Tooth).

So has anybody else played the game, and what are some opinions about it?

1of3
2011-07-14, 11:56 AM
It's crap.

When I have a super hero game, I expect not to worry about character efficiency. Batman can actually beat Superman, even if he shouldn't.

Second the stone thing is just boring. There are some nice games without dice. This one is not one of them.

Lapak
2011-07-14, 12:33 PM
From the thread title, I was all excited to talk about how my character with Amazing Strength got bumped all the way to Shift Z due to cosmic radiation, but I see you're talking about another rule-set entirely.

Eurus
2011-07-14, 03:03 PM
From the thread title, I was all excited to talk about how my character with Amazing Strength got bumped all the way to Shift Z due to cosmic radiation, but I see you're talking about another rule-set entirely.

Oh man, that system. I never knew random char gen could be so fun.

John Campbell
2011-07-17, 11:17 AM
Oh man, that system. I never knew random char gen could be so fun.

Oh, gods, yes. We just started up a game of the old TSR Marvel Superheros, and I think the most fun I've had so far is rolling up a bunch of characters with the tables in the Ultimate Powers book and trying to figure out how to turn the resulting completely random powersets, origins, and skillsets into something that made sense, at least by comic-book standards. I think my favorite was the sapient hallucinogenic gas, though the emotionless android with lasers, heat vision, hyper-invention, and zombie animation was a close runner-up.

The one I settled on, though, became Dr. Seren Smyth (alliteration v. important; this is a Marvel character), aka Shooting Star (and she's been apprised that there's already a hero calling herself "Shooting Star", but since her reactions were, "... Who??" and then, after research, "Owning a gun is not a superpower," she's not really worried about it). She's basically solar-powered Dazzler, except into laser weapons research instead of disco. She got her powers because, though a brilliant scientist, she's still not smart enough to not touch glowing things that fell from space.

pjackson
2011-07-18, 08:39 AM
I have run a campaign using these rules.
They mostly worked very well.
There were some problems with false assumptions due to inexperience when creating characters, but it gave the feel of the comics well.

Eric Tolle
2011-07-18, 11:35 AM
I was in a PbP game, for which I thought the diceless system was perfectly suited for; no dice generators, no waiting to find the results of rolls. I also liked the system over all, though it frankly needed some editing and clarifications.

Eurus
2011-07-18, 04:21 PM
Oh, gods, yes. We just started up a game of the old TSR Marvel Superheros, and I think the most fun I've had so far is rolling up a bunch of characters with the tables in the Ultimate Powers book and trying to figure out how to turn the resulting completely random powersets, origins, and skillsets into something that made sense, at least by comic-book standards. I think my favorite was the sapient hallucinogenic gas, though the emotionless android with lasers, heat vision, hyper-invention, and zombie animation was a close runner-up.

The one I settled on, though, became Dr. Seren Smyth (alliteration v. important; this is a Marvel character), aka Shooting Star (and she's been apprised that there's already a hero calling herself "Shooting Star", but since her reactions were, "... Who??" and then, after research, "Owning a gun is not a superpower," she's not really worried about it). She's basically solar-powered Dazzler, except into laser weapons research instead of disco. She got her powers because, though a brilliant scientist, she's still not smart enough to not touch glowing things that fell from space.

That's pretty awesome. I remember one hero who could only be described as "the Telepumpkin." Yeah, sentient plant with teleport self and teleport other -- the latter actually stronger than the former, oddly. There was also the aluminum elemental with magnetic powers and phasing... he accidentally killed the Trapster. :smalleek: