PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 / Pathfinder] The Pyromanic (a Gish PrC)

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-07-04, 10:35 PM
PYROMANIC

"I like to watch things BURN!"
- Grint, Kobold Pyromaniac

Fire is a destructive force that ruins, consumes, and defaces everything in its path. It exists only to destroy and devour, extinguishing life and toppling mighty creations. It is hard to control, dangerous, and quite painful to work with. No wonder it is so popular amongst teenagers.

Pyromaniacs are those who take the use of fire to a whole new level. They greatly enjoy wielding it for personal gain, for a cause, and even just for fun. If fire doesn't fix it, they want nothing to do with it.

They have to ability to conjure white blades of fire which they use to cut down their foes. They can also summon great masses of the stuff which they can use to wreck everything in their path. As they begin to master the art, they gain whole new abilities such as the power to surround themselves in a swirling cloud of flame.

REQUIREMENTS

Ability to cast 3rd level arcane spells
Base Attack Bonus +3
Ability to cast at least two spells that deal fire damage

Hit Die: d8
Skill Points Per Level: 4 + Int Modifier
Class Skills (D&D 3.5): Jump, Climb, Tumble, Intimidate, Concentration, Spellcraft, Knowledge (Arcana)
Class Skills (Pathfinder): Climb, Acrobatics, Intimidate, Spellcraft, Knowledge (Arcana)
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spellcasting

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|Flame Blast 4d6, Flame Blade, Fire Resistance 10|

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|Draining Heat|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|Flame Blast 5d6, Scalding Air|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|Flame Blade +1, Burn Everything|

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|Flame Blast 6d6, Crippling Flame Blade, Fire Resistance 15|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+2|Ignite Foe|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+6|
+2|Flame Blade +2, Flame Blast 7d6, Swirling Fire|

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+2|Burning Wound|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+7|
+3|Flame Blast 8d6, Fwacoom|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+x|
+3|Flame Blade +3, Burn the Masses, Fire Resistance 20|[/table]

Fire Resistance (SU)
At 1st level, you reduce all fire damage you take by 10 points. The resistance increases to 15 at 5th level, and 20 at 10th level.

Flame Blade (SP)
At any time, you can conjure a blade of fire that can only be wielded by you, acts like a scimitar, and deals fire damage on a successful hit. You can dismiss the weapon whenever you like, and can only have one in existence at any time. At 4th level, the blade gains a +1 bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls. The bonus increases to +2 at 7th level, and +3 at 10th level.

Flame Blast (SP)
At 1st level, you gain an ability that allows you to make a ranged touch attack with a 30 foot range. On a hit, the target takes 4d6 fire damage. This power requires a standard action, and can be done as many time per day as you like. You add an extra d6 to the damage roll at every odd-numbered level above first.

Draining Heat (SU)
At 2nd level, whenever you score a critical hit with your flame blast, the target takes 1 point of Strength damage, and 1 point of Constitution damage. They must have taken at least 1 point of damage from the attack for this effect to function.

Scalding Air (SP)
At 3rd level, you gain the ability to push your foes back with superheated air three times per day. It is a ranged touch attack that requires no action and has a range of 10 feet. On a hit, the target is pushed back 15 feet and takes 2d10 fire damage. They can make a saving throw with a DC of 20 + your highest ability modifier to avoid being pushed back.

You can also use this power to deflect missile weapons. After the ranged attack roll is made, you can spend a free action to make a ranged touch attack of your own. If your roll exceeds that of the attacker, the arrow or other projectile is averted.

Burn Everything (SU)
At 4th level, whenever you use a spell that deals fire damage and targets multiple creatures, all creatures damaged by the spell take an amount of fire damage equal to half the damage they took from the spell the next round.

Crippling Flame Blade (SU)
Whenever you roll a natural 20 on an attack with your flame blade, the unlucky target takes 1d4 points of Constitution damage.

Ignite Foe (SU)
Five times per day, after hitting with your flame blade, you can choose to ignite the target. When ignited, a creature takes 2d10 fire damage at the start of your turn for 1d4 rounds.

Swirling Fire (SP)
Once per day, as a full-round action, you can surround yourself in a 10-foot aura of swirling fire that lasts for 2d4 rounds. At the start of your turn, all creatures within the aura takes 6d6 fire damage. This damage can be halved with a successful reflex save.

Burning Wound (SU)
Whenever you are hit be a melee attack, the attacker must make a reflex save to avoid taking 2d6 fire damage. Flaming blood erupts from your injury and scorches your foe.

Fwacoom (SU)
When you cast a spell that deals fire damage, for each creature effected, the spell does an extra 5 damage to each target. This effect can not increase the damage to any target by any more than 15.

Burn the Masses
When you start your turn, each enemy within 15 feet must make a reflex with a DC equal to 20 + your highest ability modifier save to avoid taking 1d12 fore damage.You can suppress this power if you like, and you have to actively perceive a creature before it can by damaged by this effect.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

For those of you who like to skim, I made a list of things the PrC gets that makes it awesome:

D8 hit die.
Full BAB.
A fire-based melee attack that functions as a scimitar and constantly gets better.
An at-will ranged touch attack that deals fire damage and constantly gets better.
Lots of powers that juice up fire attacks.
A couple of all-new fire attacks that are quite nasty, but can only be accessed at higher levels.
Good Fortitude and Reflex saves.
Average skill points.
Decent class skills.
Pretty easy entry requirements.

It was originally designed to be tier 3, but turned out closer to tier 2.

Mulletmanalive
2011-07-05, 08:31 AM
Touch entry requirements?

I get into this accidentally as a 6th level sorcerer [I actually like Fire spells, so there's that]...

The lack of table is disappointing and otherwise this is basically just Pyrokinecist with slightly patchier abilities and you're giving up access to spellcasting for the privelage...

Not seeing the appeal, i'm afraid.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-07-05, 10:23 AM
The lack of table is disappointing

I had a table. That's really odd how it disappeared.

Mulletmanalive
2011-07-05, 10:50 AM
Flame Blast is weak. Not really worth using; barely keeps pace with the Fiery Blast reserve feat.

Draining heat, i'm not a fan of ability damage, but that's fair enough.

Scalding Air is weak, if fairly useful. I'd allow more uses at higher levels. You need to say what action it takes to defend using it.

Ignite Foe is fairly weak for the risks involved. Might be worth writing home about if it wasn't twice per day.

Fwacoom is unclear as to how it works. Does the increase in damage mean 5 points of extra damage to each target or does it mean 5 points of extra damage, per target in the area, to each target in the area? If the former, weak, if the latter, pain to work out.

The rest is ok. I'd still probably use my spells more than this stuff though.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-07-05, 10:55 AM
Flame Blast is weak. Not really worth using; barely keeps pace with the Fiery Blast reserve feat.

Draining heat, i'm not a fan of ability damage, but that's fair enough.

Scalding Air is weak, if fairly useful. I'd allow more uses at higher levels. You need to say what action it takes to defend using it.

Ignite Foe is fairly weak for the risks involved. Might be worth writing home about if it wasn't twice per day.

Fwacoom is unclear as to how it works. Does the increase in damage mean 5 points of extra damage to each target or does it mean 5 points of extra damage, per target in the area, to each target in the area? If the former, weak, if the latter, pain to work out.

The rest is ok. I'd still probably use my spells more than this stuff though.

All fixed.

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-05, 04:53 PM
REQUIREMENTS

Ability to cast 3rd level arcane spells
Base Attack Bonus +3
Ability to cast at least two spells that deal fire damage

You say later in the post that these are tough entry requirements. I disagree. At six level, any straight wizard makes all of them. The wording of the third requirement is vague and fairly inclusive. Technically, any class with the fire spells on the spell list has the ability to cast those spells. I'd suggest including a feat prerequisite. Something like Spell Focus, or Weapon Focus (Ranged or Melee Touch).

Also, given that this is essentially an arsonist, I think an alignment prerequisite might be in order.

Hit Die: d8
Skill Points Per Level: 4 + Int Modifier
Class Skills (D&D 3.5): Jump, Climb, Tumble, Intimidate, Concentration, Spellcraft, Knowledge (Arcana)
Class Skills (Pathfinder): Climb, Acrobatics, Intimidate, Spellcraft, Knowledge (Arcana)

The only complaint I have here is the limited class skill list. You've got 4 skill points per level. A human would have 5. That's more than half of the class skills. With a base Wizard, you're going to have a high Intelligence. Wouldn't be surprised if the Wizard could just buy all the skills. I recommended expanding the class skills. Maybe Bluff ('It wasn't me!'), Escape Artist (escaping custody) or Use Rope ('I've got a 50 foot fuse here!').

Fire Resistance (SU)
At 1st level, you reduce all fire damage you take by 10 points.

This ability doesn't scale? An ECL 16 character with 10 levels in a fire-based class only has 10 Fire Resistance? I'd buff that. Maybe not immunity, but I think getting up to 20 isn't terribly unreasonable.

[QUOTE=Twilight Muse;11348860]Flame Blast (SP)
At 1st level, you gain an ability that allows you to make a ranged touch attack with a 30 foot range. On a hit, the target takes 2d6 fire damage. This power requires a standard action, and can be done as many time per day as you like. You add an extra d6 to the damage roll at every odd-numbered level above first.

This is pretty underpowered, IMO. This is now a level 7 character. An archer character gets at least two attacks with a range greater than that for at least. Scorching Ray, a second level spell, gives two rays at 4d6 each and has a range of 55 feet. Why would a Wizard (who can cast at least 3 Scorching Rays per day at this point, likely 6 or more) use this when they have better options? Also, compare with scorching ray as they scale. At level 3 Pyro deals 3d6, at 5, 4d6, at 7, 5d6, at 9, 6d6. At level 3 Pyro, he could deal 8d6 with Scorching Ray. At level 9 he could deal 12d6. All with vastly superior range. Heck, a Produce Flame would deal d6+5 at 120 feet. That's an average of 8.5 damage versus an average of 7 damage. This would even out when the Pyro hits level 3, but just barely, and it still loses in range. I understand its utility is its availability, but I would seriously increase the range. This may be a gish, but 30 feet is awfully close for a ranged attack.

Draining Heat (SU)
At 2nd level, whenever you score a critical hit with your flame blast, the target takes 1 point of Strength damage, and 1 point of Constitution damage.

Seems reasonable. Any save for this? Is it reliant on the creature taking damage?

Scalding Air (SP)
At 3rd level, you gain the ability to push your foes back with superheated air three times per day. It is a ranged touch attack that requires no action and has a range of 10 feet. On a hit, the target is pushed back 15 feet and takes 1d10 fire damage. You can also use this power to deflect missile weapons. After the ranged attack roll is made, you can spend a free action to make a ranged touch attack of your own. If your roll exceeds that of the attacker, the arrow or other projectile is averted.

This was actually my biggest issue. I would say you should REALLY implement some bull rush effect here. Hitting a Colossal Dragon with a touch attack is easy. Knocking him back 15 feet should not be.

Curiously, the knockback seems high given its range. I'd have difficulty explaining to my players why a blast of air useless past 20 feet can succeed at knocking them up to 35 feet from its source. Either increase the range or reduce the knockback would be my suggestion.

Burn Everything (SU)
At 4th level, whenever you use a spell that deals fire damage and targets multiple creatures, all creatures damaged by the spell take an amount of fire damage equal to half the damage they took from the spell the next round.

Nice, but how does this interact with the fire rules already established? Certain spells already light things up when cast, and others don't.

Crippling Flame Blade (SU)
Whenever you score a critical hit with your flame blade, the unlucky target takes 1d4+1 points of Constitution damage.

That's pretty high, actually, especially without a save. You're effectively slapping up to 3 hp per HD of damage onto the creature with a crit. Easily exploitable with Improved Crit. That would deal that Con Drain on 30% of all attacks. Coupled with iterative attacks (or haste) and you're going to sap someone out of Con really fast.

Ignite Foe (SU)
Five times per day, after hitting with your flame blade, you can choose to ignite the target. When ignited, a creature takes 1d8 fire damage at the start of your turn for 1d4 rounds.

This is, on the other hand, kinda soft and rather unpredictable (suppose that's the flavor, though.) This is now an ECL 12 character. Five times per day you can add from 1 to 32 fire damage AFTER you hit an enemy. Not that impressive, especially because many things at that point have Fire Resistance.

Swirling Fire (SP)
Once per day, as a full-round action, you can surround yourself in a 10-foot aura of swirling fire that lasts for 2d4 rounds. At the start of your turn, all creatures within the aura takes 6d6 fire damage. This damage can be halved with a successful reflex save.

What's the Save DC?

Burning Wound (SU)
Whenever you are hit be a melee attack, the attacker must make a reflex save to avoid taking 1d10 fire damage.

More flavor would be nice. I assume the blood is aflame and splashes against the attacker?

Fwacoom (SU)
When you cast a spell that deals fire damage, for each creature effected, the spell does an extra 5 damage to each target.

That could get really complicated and potentially abused. Hurling a Fireball into a fray where your fireproofed allies are fighting can stack up ridiculously fast. I would enjoy throwing a Summon Monster V in there to get d4+1 Hell Hounds before tossing in a Fireball. That's from 10 to 25 extra damage before accounting for other creatures, a 15%-100% increase in damage, average 50%. Not bad, but it could scale up from there. Maybe some sort of cap on it?

Burn the Masses
When you start your turn, each enemy within 15 feet must make a reflex save to avoid taking 1d12 fore damage.

Curious about this. Why does it only affect enemies? Can you suppress it?

My biggest question is, what does this class do against an enemy with Fire Immunity? It has nothing to fall back on. Incorporating force or aligned damage could allow for some new fluff. A pyromancer spreading the flames of disorder, for instance, could deal partially chaotic damage with it and give him something to do against the red dragon.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-07-05, 05:21 PM
I closed the loopholes, fixed the underpowered mechanics, and clarified the obscurities

What do you think?

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-05, 05:30 PM
I'm impressed by your willingness to change things, actually. By no means did I mean to imply the class was bad, I was just trying to point a few things out, and chances are I was quite wrong on a few things.

Something that came to mind that I forgot to mention.

You're aiming for a Tier 3 PrC, but the common entry classes are Tier 1 or 2. Its going to be difficult to keep it decent versus its entry classes while maintaining balance and strength.