PDA

View Full Version : Crushed and Pinned by a Dragon

Ryuuk
2011-07-05, 09:06 AM
An odd situation just came up in a game.

A medium character was pinned by a gargantuan dragon. Shortly after, the other characters killed said dragon, so now the pinned character is under a few tons of dead dragon.

I know that, at the very least, he's still prone. However, are there any rules for what actions the character can take (he was immobilized and muted during the pin) and how said character can get out of that? The encounter is still going, so actions are still important.

kharmakazy
2011-07-05, 09:10 AM
RAW, I don't think anything is stopping him from just moving away. RAI, I would make the player crawl out from under the dragon at crawling speed, which I believe is 5' per full round.

dob
2011-07-05, 09:19 AM
One could argue the character is still pinned, and has to escape it before moving. If you wanted to go that route, I'd add the dragon's size modifiers to the grapple, but not its BAB and STR and other bonuses.

hamishspence
2011-07-05, 09:20 AM
It could be treated as "getting through a tight space" which involves Escape Artist checks.

Yora
2011-07-05, 09:29 AM
Are there not rules for being burried by rocks? I'd use those.

Telonius
2011-07-05, 10:03 AM
The closest analogous situation in the SRD is probably the "Cave-Ins and Collapses (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/dungeons.htm#caveInsAndCollapsesCr8)" section; take 1d6 nonlethal per minute.

I'd consider the character "Pinned" by an inanimate gargantuan object. Since it's not actively trying to grapple the character, I would personally rule that the object's grapple check would just be its size modifier, +12. I would let the character make opposed grapple or escape artist checks in order to escape the pin. Or, make a Strength check at DC 25 (per the cave-in rules).

kharmakazy
2011-07-05, 10:08 AM
Pinning doesn't mean the dragon was standing right over the character, also I think he should get a reflex save to roll out from under the thing as it fell.

Girshtop
2011-07-05, 10:15 AM
I agree with the above, maybe the dragon just had him pinned under one of his foreclaws (forehand? one of his front appendages). by that case, just because the dragon died, doesn't mean it fell right on top of him. I think it would still require some escape artists checks, but it would be easier to get out from under the dead dragons claws then if it was live.

Telonius
2011-07-05, 10:34 AM
Pinning doesn't mean the dragon was standing right over the character, also I think he should get a reflex save to roll out from under the thing as it fell.

"Pinning" doesn't necessarily mean that, but "Crushed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dragonTrue.htm)" does:

Crush (Ex)

This special attack allows a flying or jumping dragon of at least Huge size to land on opponents as a standard action, using its whole body to crush them. Crush attacks are effective only against opponents three or more size categories smaller than the dragon (though it can attempt normal overrun or grapple attacks against larger opponents).

A crush attack affects as many creatures as can fit under the dragon’s body. Creatures in the affected area must succeed on a Reflex save (DC equal to that of the dragon’s breath weapon) or be pinned, automatically taking bludgeoning damage during the next round unless the dragon moves off them. If the dragon chooses to maintain the pin, treat it as a normal grapple attack. Pinned opponents take damage from the crush each round if they don’t escape.

CTrees
2011-07-05, 10:35 AM
I'd ask him how he intends to get out, and then go for strength or escape artist checks based on that (either of those seem valid).

I'd also go for some non-lethal, crushing damage. If you're pinned under a couple tons of dragon, it's likely slightly pliable, but it's still not going to be fun.