PDA

View Full Version : Table Shows Up Funny

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-07-05, 10:29 AM
I had a table in the first post on THIS (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11348860#post11348860) thread, but for some reason it shows up with fewer columns than I designated and missing information. If you look at the code you can see that I did it right, so it must be a bug in the database. Please help.

Rawhide
2011-07-05, 10:44 AM
I had a table in the first post on THIS (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11348860#post11348860) thread, but for some reason it shows up with fewer columns than I designated and missing information. If you look at the code you can see that I did it right, so it must be a bug in the database. Please help.

I've fixed it. You made a mistake in the table. You had inserted an enter between Base Attack and Bonus.

i.e.

Base Attack
Bonus

instead of:

Base Attack Bonus

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-07-05, 10:48 AM
I've fixed it. You made a mistake in the table. You had inserted an enter between Base Attack and Bonus.

Oh, sorry. Thank you so much.

Trixie
2011-07-05, 11:55 AM

And what if we need an enter? Is there a way to have multiple lines in one cell?

Rawhide
2011-07-05, 12:00 PM
And what if we need an enter? Is there a way to have multiple lines in one cell?

[br]

But once you start using [br], you should save a copy of your drafts and final posts in Notepad. Previewing or editing your posts will change all your [br]s to <br> and break them. Also [br] can't be [noparse]d.

Trixie
2011-07-05, 12:11 PM
[br]

But once you start using [br], you should save a copy of your drafts and final posts in Notepad. Previewing or editing your posts will change all your [br]s to <br> and break them. Also [br] can't be [noparse]d.

...yes, this is what I've been doing since last month, which is why I was wondering if there isn't some easier way, seeing it's thing I have to update often.

Also, if I may ask, could the field for avatar address lengthened by a 5-10 characters? Most free good hostings I tried produce links that are only able to fit image if its name is trimmed to 1-4 characters, and sometimes not even then :smallfrown:

Kuma Kode
2011-07-17, 07:22 AM
It's a disgusting hack, but formatting the lines of your table to have different alignments will cause linebreaks that remain even over previews.

{table=width=100%]This line has no alignment declared
this line has left alignment declared
but it's all one line |
Just putting
a space between
two lines with the same alignment

will separate them[/table]

Obviously, text can't have different alignments on the same line, so changing alignment automatically creates a linebreak. The forum will collapse multiple declarations of the same formatting adjacent to one-another, so if you just tried having one line centered and the next line centered, too, it will just make one big centered format. By having a space between centers (unformatted text defaults to left align), you can prevent them from collapsing.

You can quote this post to check it out.

Rawhide
2011-07-17, 09:41 AM
It's a disgusting hack, but formatting the lines of your table to have different alignments will cause linebreaks that remain even over previews.

{table=width=100%]This line has no alignment declared
this line has left alignment declared
but it's all one line |
Just putting
a space between
two lines with the same alignment

will separate them[/table]

Obviously, text can't have different alignments on the same line, so changing alignment automatically creates a linebreak. The forum will collapse multiple declarations of the same formatting adjacent to one-another, so if you just tried having one line centered and the next line centered, too, it will just make one big centered format. By having a space between centers (unformatted text defaults to left align), you can prevent them from collapsing.

Nice workaround!

Just declare each line left alignment (or centre alignment as appropriate) and no more br tags are required.

Trixie
2011-07-17, 07:09 PM

Ah, yes, finally some good idea! :smallbiggrin:

Sadly, the one problem I can see with it, is bloating table size in quite a bit, making it run closer to the post size limit. But, I'll take what I can.

Well, let's hope this thread won't close so we actually can :smallwink: