PDA

View Full Version : Shadowcaster build

WinWin
2011-07-05, 10:36 AM
Mulling an idea around for a while. Will most likely appear in my capaign as a villian at some point, with some considerable adaptation to make it fit within CR/EL range of the party.

Inspired by Lord of Procrastination's Nasty Gentleman. Nowhere near as effective due to limited methods of symbiont aquisition and control. Not actively trying to kill my players characters though, so this is a good thing.

Nox

Race: Human Vashar Daelkyr Half Blood...possibly with Kaorti template the way this campaign is headed.

Classes: Ranger (for favoured enemy: abberations, probably take Urban Ranger ACF's here).
Shadowcaster, for pure win.
Impure Prince, for even more win.

Currently Ranger 1/Shadowcaster 6*/Impure Prince 5

*Need about 3 more levels for a decent challenge, preferably more shadowcaster progression. Total character level desired is 15. Assuming a 7th level mystery is available.

Skills and skill tricks. Can meet prerequisites easily enough. Maxxed out Hide, Concentration and Spellcraft. Could probably squeeze in some skill tricks or other prerequisites as neccesary (I'm the DM...I'll make him more intelligent).

Current Feats:

Level 1; Urban Tracking (bonus), Willing Deformity :Parasite (Bonus Vile Feat), Symbiont Mastery
level 3; Mother Cyst, Shadow Cast (bonus Shadowcaster)
Level 6; Shadow Familliar
Level 9; Shape Soulmeld (strongheart vest)
Level 12 +; ?
Likely dedicated to Ragnorra and would gain bonus Vile Feats. Probably Deformity (Madness) and some Dark Speech related feats.

Gear: Mainly Symbionts. A tentacle Whip for each forearm, Throwing Scarabs, Shadow Twin and a Spellwurm.
Possibly feindish symbionts from Fiend folio, though the Gutworm would be somewhat redundant and the Fiendish Familliar would provide no benefit. A soul tick would empower Mother Cyst mysteries though.

Other gear? I'm thinking a few grafts and wired psionic tattoos. Have no idea what other equipment would be useful other than a few metashadow rods. Wealth should be appropriate for a 15th level NPC, but it is unlikely the majority this gear will fall into the players hands (due to being attached).

Mysteries Known:

Mother Cyst spells are added to Mysteries known. They do not provide bonus feats as they are not Shadow Magic paths, however they should scale to spell like abilities and become supernatural abilities at relevant level.

Spellwurm spells...May or may not be added to mysteries known. Sorcerer or Dread Necromancer, sure, but Shadowcasters are in a weird place. They are technically arcane casters, as they cast arcane spells, but nowhere are they explicitly referred to as spontaneous casters (which they totally are). Should the bonus spells from Spellwurm be applied?

Apprentice Paths

Cloak of Shadows. Not great, but does provide a decent defence bonus, hide in plain sight and very mild retributive damage effect against melee attackers...May swap out Sharp Shadows for another level 1 mystery.

Night's Long Fingers. 2 decent attacks and a tracking spell that will synergise nicely with Mother Cyst. An Umbral Fist shared with symbionts and Familliar will yield multiple ranged disarms, trips or bull rushes. Size modifiers are a penalty here, but the tentacle whips will provide their Channel Spell properties and subsequent untyped bonuses to trip & disarm to the initial roll. On the plus side, the symbionts make a great target for Quicker than the Eye...filching unattended or worn valuables at range during an encounter whie their Host provides a distraction.

Touch of Twilight. Life Fades as an attack spell to be held by tentacle whips or familliar

Initiate Paths

Dark Reflections. This path provides some great options, from buffs to raw damage. I would appreciate some suggestions with Evocation buffs than can be shared with symbionts and familliar.

Darkened Alleys. Some nice zone control that synergises with the Feign Life (animate objects) mystery. Constructs will not be harmed by the emanations, also Nox can hide and utilize lower level mysteries such as Umbral Fist and Sight Eclipsed.

Master Paths

Heart and Soul. Only power known at this level (apart from Necrotic Tumor) is the mystery Dark Soul. Seems fairly innocuous until it is shared with symbionts and familliar while the PC's are already engaged in battle with constructs brought to life via Feign Life.

Any thoughts on the build, tactics or items would be appreciated. Could use some advice fleshing out some details...possibly including another prestige class. Give me your worst as this guy will be facing off against a high level druid, wizard, rogue and psionic monk who routinely breeze though high Encounter Levels. My goal is to provide a memorable encounter using resources my players have limited familiarity with.

gorfnab
2011-07-05, 12:36 PM
For the last 3 levels more Shadowcaster is probably your best bet unless you want to go into Master of Shadow.

For feats I recommend Reach Mystery, Quicken Mystery, Darkstalker, or maybe Improved Familiar.

As for Mysteries:
Apprentice: Consider Eyes of Darkness instead of Cloak of Shadows. If you need armor just go with a +X Twilight Mithral Shirt and a +X Twilight Mithral Shield or Buckler. If you want Hide in Plain Sight use a Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis. Eyes of Darkness gives you some great scouting potential and a decent blast Mystery. Ebon Whispers is also a nice option and Flicker is just awesome.

Initiate: Darkened Alleys is kinda meh unless you have a really nice Cha. Black Magic would give you the option to mess up the party's casters. Unbinding Shade would also be another way to deal with the party's casters.

Master: Heart and Soul is okay if you have a decent Cha. Shadow Calling would give you more pets which if always fun. Shadowscape would give you some decent battlefield control. Dark Metamorphosis might be used a distraction and later as a way to turn your villain into a recurring villain.