PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Prestige Class: Shadow Hand Bloodletter (PEACH)

Morbis Meh
2011-07-05, 12:55 PM
Shadow Hand Bloodletter
“ We are of the Shadow, know us and despair.”
Ragas, Student of the Shadow Hand School

http://fc82.deviantart.com/fs19/f/2007/242/2/7/Ragas_Tsorovan_by_shadow_of_venca.jpg
A Shadow Hand Bloodletter is an elite member in a secret sect of students within the shadow hand discipline. Members of this fabled sect are said to possess the powers of the shadow plane itself but are not inherently evil just pilgrims walking the path of shadow. A Shadow Hand Bloodletter feels at ease within the shadows and harnesses the strength of shadow. By learning to meld their very souls with the shadow plane they gain abilities that emulate those of the denizens of the plane of Shadow

Entry Requirements
Base Attack Bonus: +3
Skills: Hide 8 ranks, Move Silently 8 ranks, Tumble 8 ranks
Martial Maneuvers/Stances: Must know at least three Shadow Hand maneuvers and two Shadow Hand stances
Feats: Shadow Blade

Hit Die: D6
{table=head]Level | Base Attack Bonus | Fort Save | Ref Save | Will Save | Man. Known | Man. Readied | Stances Know| Special
1st | +0 | +0 | +2 | +2 | 0 | 0 | 0 |Sneak Attack +1d6, Shadow Essence
2nd | +1 |+0 | +3| +3 | 1 | 1| 0|
3rd | +2 | +1 | +3| +3 | 0 | 0 | 0 |Shadow Perception
4th | +3 | +1 | +4 | +4 | 1 | 0 | 1 | Sneak Attack +1d6, Evasion
5th | +3 | +1 | +4 | +4 | 0 | 1 | 0 | One with the Shadows
6th | +4 | +2 | +5 | +5 | 1 | 0 | 0 |
7th | +5 | +2 | +5| +5 | 0 | 0 | 0 |Sneak Attack +1d6, Shadow Form
8th | +6/+1 | +2 | +6 | +6 | 1 | 1 | 0 |Improved Evasion
9th | +6/+1| +3 | +6 | +6 | 0 | 0 | 1 |
10th | +7/+2 | +3 | +7 | +7 | 1 | 0 | 0 | Sneak Attack +1d6, Shadow Supremacy
[/table]
Class Skills (6+ Int modifier per level): Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Escape Artist, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Planes), Listen, Martial Lore, Move Silently, Spot, Tumble

Maneuvers: At 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, and 10th level,
you gain one maneuver from the Shadow Hand School or one other school selected upon entering. You must meet the prerequisites in order to learn the maneuver and you add your full Shadow Hand Bloodletter class levels to your initiator level in order to determine your total initiator level and highest level maneuver known.
At 2nd, 5th and 8th level, you gain an additional readied maneuver per day.
Stances Known: At 4th and 9th level, you learn a new martial stance from Shadow Hand or the other School chosen.

Sneak Attack: A Bloodletter gains sneak attack damage whenever an enemy is flanked or flatfooted. The damage increases at levels 1, 4, 7 and 10.

Essence of Shadow (Su): An initiate Bloodletter is only able to draw a small portion of power from the Shadow plane as they begin to walk the path of Shadow; however, as the progress down the path they are able draw from the plane more frequently. Once per day a 1st level Bloodletter can cast blur on themselves as a swift action and this effect lasts for up to as many rounds equal to the Bloodletter’s Constitution modifier. Upon reaching the 5th and 10th level they are granted an additional use of this ability.

Shadow Perception (Ex): A Bloodletter begins to develop heightened instincts as they develop stronger ties to the plane of shadow thus allowing them to react in battle at an accelerated rate.
A Bloodletter adds their wisdom modifier as well as their dexterity modifier to their initiative.

Evasion (Ex): At the 4th level a Bloodletter gains the evasion ability.

One with the Shadows (Su): A first level Bloodletter gains the hide in plain sight ability as long as they are within 10ft of shadows other than one cast by themselves.

Shadow Form (Su): A 7th level Shadow Hand Bloodletter has strengthened their bond with the Shadow Plane to the point where they can infuse their own bodies with shadow.
Once a day as a swift action a Bloodletter can enter this form and by doing so become incorporeal as well as dealing one point of strength damage for every successful hit on an enemy. The form lasts for as long as a Shadow Hand can make successful concentration checks. After the first round a Bloodletter must succeed on a DC 25 (+ 2 for every round after) for a maximum of 3 + Constitution mod rounds.
After a Bloodletter exits this form they must make a fortitude save DC 20 in order to prevent exhaustion. A successful check lessens the condition to fatigue.

Improved Evasion (Ex): When a player fails a reflex save they now only take half damage and when they succeed they do not take any damage.

Shadow Supremacy (Su): At 10th level, a Shadow Hand Bloodletter has a completed melding their soul to the Plane of Shadow and are now able to enter their Shadow Form twice a day and no longer have to concentrate to remain in the form; however, a Bloodletter can remain in the form past 3+ con mod rounds but will take one point of constitution damage for every round they remain past their threshold. As well they now deal 1d6 points of strength damage. The after effects of shadow form remain the same.

Alright people, this is a prestige class I made for my girlfriend who wanted to be a sneaky fighter without going rogue. Let me know what you think this is the first time I have posted any of my homebrew so please be gentle. Forgive me, I have not used tables on this forum and I would love to learn how to use them so if someone would be willing to tell me (I have looked on the site to no avail). Thank you!

Edit: I figured out how to put it in a table so I hope this is easier to read!
Edit: I moved Hide in plain sight to a 5th level ability and added blur as a 1st level ability (my gf wanted it)

Morbis Meh
2011-07-05, 03:53 PM
I was thinking of bumping up Hide in Plain sight to a higher level and replacing it with another ability, any suggestions on what would make a good first level ability?

Morbis Meh
2011-07-05, 08:54 PM
Come on people I know this class isn't perfect or complete garbage, please help a person out!

Morbis Meh
2011-07-06, 06:16 PM
bumpity bump bump

Quellian-dyrae
2011-07-06, 08:25 PM
I'd probably do away with the Concentration checks, just to keep bookkeeping down. If you really want Concentration to be a factor, you could just set the duration to say 1 round per two ranks in Concentration, or something.

That aside I see no real problems. Compared to a standard swordsage you lose some maneuvers and your versatility is downgraded, but you get Sneak Attack, Hide in Plain Sight, and Shadow Form to make up for it. Incorporeality is pretty strong, but that's the only real blip in terms of balance, and it's hardly a huge issue at level 12.

Morbis Meh
2011-07-07, 12:28 AM
Like you mentioned before, being incorporeal is rather powerful and that was why I added in the concentration to it, it's not that much book keeping and the fluff I made to go with it (didn't post it) makes it fit nicely. The fluff around the ability is that the Bloodletter is able to create a microrift between the material plane and the plane of shadow and they have to maintain the rift at lower levels. As they get stronger and are more attune to creating and maintaining these rifts, the concentration required is less restricting.

DracoDei
2011-07-10, 12:59 PM
I assume the two stances in the pre-requisites have to be from Shadow Hand?

Morbis Meh
2011-07-10, 07:38 PM
You would be correct, both stances must be shadow hand