PDA

View Full Version : I have no Idea how to represent this Idea...

druid91
2011-07-05, 04:04 PM
Well the idea, is that of the kid with the pet monster.

Basically I build a combat monster of a character, and attach him to a child who does much of the talking, and decision making for the two of them. Master blaster, or Integra Hellsing and Alucard type relationship.

How do you represent this? There are no classes that basically hand you a cohort who is stronger than you are.

So any Ideas? Or am I going to have to enter homebrew territory?

Amnestic
2011-07-05, 04:05 PM
Pathfinder Summoner sounds like it might be right up your alley.

Tvtyrant
2011-07-05, 04:06 PM
The Summoner class from Paizo would work; you get a massive Eidolon that rocks at melee as a class feature.

Swordsaged!

AnonymousD&Der
2011-07-05, 04:13 PM
Think the Kid could be a Wild Cohort to a Monsterous character?

BlueInc
2011-07-05, 04:16 PM
Perhaps use Savage Species progression for the monster you want, and your "PC" is statless? Roleplay-wise, you could say your character "fuses" with the monster in some way during times of stress.

Think the Kid could be a Wild Cohort to a Monsterous character?

Actually, I think I like that as well. That way it is possible for the kid to interact with the environment, just very, very dangerous.

Midnight_v
2011-07-05, 04:29 PM
Well the idea, is that of the kid with the pet monster.

Basically I build a combat monster of a character, and attach him to a child who does much of the talking, and decision making for the two of them. Master blaster, or Integra Hellsing and Alucard type relationship.

How do you represent this? There are no classes that basically hand you a cohort who is stronger than you are.

So any Ideas? Or am I going to have to enter homebrew territory?

A Strong heart halfling or Whisper gnome druid?
Totem Companion, lets you choose monsters as your companion.

Best of all you're a druid... so it is really hard to mess up the concept. You can invest all you feats into animal compion well except one, and still functioning char, eventually if you get high enough you can roleplay that you can become an creature like your animal compaion.
I could flush it out more but you get the idea it'd go from a feline to a feline monster to a chimera or some such really cool is that you treat it as an animal for you druid spells. :smallsmile:

WinWin
2011-07-05, 04:39 PM
Symbiont template in Savage Species. I assume you meant the big guy would be literally attached to the little guy.

Anxe
2011-07-05, 05:03 PM
The Giant's Champion class?

Prime32
2011-07-05, 06:36 PM
How do you represent this? There are no classes that basically hand you a cohort who is stronger than you are.There are, however, classes which hand you a cohort weaker than you are. So play the cohort.

Big Fau
2011-07-05, 06:42 PM
For a non-Pathfinder game, Dungeonscape has a PrC that fulfills this idea nicely.

Thurbane
2011-07-05, 06:54 PM
For a non-Pathfinder game, Dungeonscape has a PrC that fulfills this idea nicely.
Beast Heart Adept - yeah, exactly what I was thinking.

Also, there's the Grey Render (Monster Manual) that likes to bond with a humanoid, so that might be an idea.

Hunter Killer
2011-07-05, 07:14 PM
Call me crazy, but I'd do it the easy way and just ask the DM if you can play two characters: One who's a really weak NPC class (Like Commoner or Adept), and one who is a Magical Beast with class levels.

I wouldn't worry about finding a specific Magical Beast, either... Discuss with him the possibility of taking an Animal type creature of low CR, switching it to Magical Beast, bumping the Int a little, and there you go!

As long as you're not optimizing the crap out of everything it'll be fairly balanced, and there's character development and progression on each part of the concept (As there should be; They are both adventuring).

If your concept was strong I'd allow it in my games, although I would specifically ban your beasty from taking levels in full caster classes.

Re'ozul
2011-07-05, 08:17 PM
I am sorry that i cannot actually contribute to the discussion, but I had to post this (http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs46/f/2009/195/7/9/FSN_Ilya_Berserker_Wallpaper_by_AeternoAlucinor.jp g) as it is how i see this working.

Urpriest
2011-07-05, 08:32 PM
Dragon Cohort gives you a cohort at up to +1 level...sort of zany, but there you go.

Supermount builds can be fun. Halfling Outrider lets you stack paladin and druid companion advancement, while Devoted Tracker makes them the same creature. Grab some paladin and beastmaster levels before Halfling Outrider and spend all your feats on improving your companion and you can get a baby gold dragon with a huge pile of bonus HD while gimping your own build into uselessness.

Divide by Zero
2011-07-05, 08:42 PM
I am sorry that i cannot actually contribute to the discussion, but I had to post this (http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs46/f/2009/195/7/9/FSN_Ilya_Berserker_Wallpaper_by_AeternoAlucinor.jp g) as it is how i see this working.

Not like this (http://starsmedia.ign.com/stars/image/article/106/1063907/big-boss-of-the-day-bioshocks-big-daddy-20100126043856178.jpg)?

OracleofSilence
2011-07-05, 08:45 PM
it seems to me that people over looked an easy answer there before. play the cohort ut of combat, and the non cohort in combat. easy solution, and moreover, a solution that is incredibly flexible, since you can roleplay all sorts of stuff into that.

RandomNPC
2011-07-05, 08:57 PM
I think I like the first "This" better, but that's because people keep trying to tell me how cool bioshock is after I tell them it's not my style of game.

Play a half-orc barbarian who's adopted a child genius for one reason or another, and when it comes to social situations, rp as the kid taking over, or if the DM allows play a minotaur or something in the same situation. Basically personal honor demands you take care of the squishy one.

Edit: BTW, I'm stealing this idea.

Elric VIII
2011-07-05, 09:16 PM
From a metagame perspective it's not exactly what you want (sonce the main character is the monster) but something with a savage progression that takes Leadership for a child (maybe halfling?) Bard.

You now have a combat monster with a slightly weaker (lower level) friend that acts as the face (social skills) and can rally the moster to push himself harder for the sake of the kid (Inspire Courage).

NecroRick
2011-07-05, 10:07 PM
Wouldn't a Druid (or Wizard with familiar) achieve this simply by pumping all their feats and spells into buffing the companion?

Thurbane
2011-07-05, 10:18 PM
Druid could work, especially if the AC has the Horrid template to make it more "monster like". The problem then is instead of having the child as a relatively weak and defenceless and relying on his big buddy, he's a kickass shapechanging spellcasting hero.

Tvtyrant
2011-07-05, 10:59 PM
What about going Druid, use the young template from Pathfinder on yourself, and use a bunch of ACFs to get rid of most of your class abilities other than the animal companion? The hunter ACF gets you abilities that are good for defense but not as good for fighting as Wildshape.

supermonkeyjoe
2011-07-06, 04:45 AM
This is really just a case of creating a monster/character with the leadership feat, the weaker cohort gained through leadership is the kid and the actual main character is the pet monster.

I can't think of any reason a DM that would have a problem with doing it this way.

Psyren
2011-07-06, 08:19 AM
I second the Pathfinder Summoner idea, especially if you make the actual summoner be a little kid who barely knows what s/he is doing. Then make the Eidolon simultaneously extremely brutal, extremely protective, and extremely cuddly.