PDA

View Full Version : a Warforged's greatest fear

big teej
2011-07-05, 05:46 PM
what happens when a rust monster attacks a warforged?

does this answer change depending on what armored body feats they've taken?

Big Fau
2011-07-05, 05:48 PM
He takes 2d6 damage every time it hits him (ECS page 26).

big teej
2011-07-05, 06:17 PM
He takes 2d6 damage every time it hits him (ECS page 26).

ah... I suppose I would know that if I had that book :smalltongue:

that sounds rather underwhelming though, given it's "instantaneous destruction" of any other metal objects.

Marnath
2011-07-05, 06:20 PM
Also, according to races of eberron, most warforged's actual greatest fear is death/unconsciousness. Since they never sleep, they have no concept of things happening and time passing with them unawares. Apparently the first time they wake up after being repaired from such a state, they're terrified.

Big Fau
2011-07-05, 06:23 PM

that sounds rather underwhelming though, given it's "instantaneous destruction" of any other metal objects.

It's in MM3 as well. And any book where Warforged are stated out.

And do keep in mind: Warforged are not 100% metal. They are a mix of metal, stone, wood, and other materials. Metal only makes up the "skin" of a Warforged. And do remember that Warforged can heal naturally over time, so the rust monster's damage is merely superficial since the metal repairs itself.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-05, 06:24 PM
Also, according to races of eberron, most warforged's actual greatest fear is death/unconsciousness. Since they never sleep, they have no concept of things happening and time passing with them unawares. Apparently the first time they wake up after being repaired from such a state, they're terrified.

They became afraid of death when their commanders told them that death means they stop experiencing things. Though that's not true, since warforged definitely have souls.

Big Fau, I'm pretty sure living constructs don't heal naturally.

Marnath
2011-07-05, 06:26 PM

And do keep in mind: Warforged are not 100% metal. They are a mix of metal, stone, wood, and other materials. Metal only makes up the "skin" of a Warforged. And do remember that Warforged can heal naturally over time, so the rust monster's damage is merely superficial since the metal repairs itself.

No they can't. Warforged don't heal naturally.
*edit@^: where do you get the idea that they definitely have souls? It's more ambiguous than that, I thought.

Big Fau
2011-07-05, 06:31 PM
No they can't. Warforged don't heal naturally.
*edit: where do you get the idea that they definitely have souls? It's more ambiguous than that, I thought.

Oh right. Well, Fast Healing is the same thing, and they can use Craft to simulate natural healing.

*edit: where do you get the idea that they definitely have souls? It's more ambiguous than that, I thought.

RoE says that Rezzing a Warforged is no different than Rezzing a Human, and that (like other races) Warforged do not have memories of their afterlife.

Speak With Dead still affects Warforged too.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-05, 06:35 PM
Oh right. Well, Fast Healing is the same thing, and they can use Craft to simulate natural healing.

RoE says that Rezzing a Warforged is no different than Rezzing a Human, and that (like other races) Warforged do not have memories of their afterlife.

Yes, but Speak with Dead works on the brain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/speakWithDead.htm) and not the soul.

This spell does not let you actually speak to the person (whose soul has departed). It instead draws on the imprinted knowledge stored in the corpse.

Marnath
2011-07-05, 06:36 PM

The sidebar on page 16 disagrees. It's canon that people couldn't agree if they have souls or not. The evidence for it points out they can be rezzed, the evidence against points out they can't be raised as undead. And before you mention woeforged, that's one paragraph that was never expanded upon and has no crunch to back it up. :smallwink:

Big Fau
2011-07-05, 06:37 PM
Yes, but Speak with Dead works on the brain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/speakWithDead.htm) and not the soul.

Well, Trap the Soul. Better example.

The sidebar on page 16 disagrees. It's canon that people couldn't agree if they have souls or not. The evidence for it points out they can be rezzed, the evidence against points out they can't be raised as undead. And before you mention woeforged, that's one paragraph that was never expanded upon and has no crunch to back it up. :smallwink:

That's because Warforged don't have a Skeletal structure, which is required for both the Zombie and Skeleton templates. Do note that they can be turned into Spawn of various undead (provided you can find one that can do so without needing to worry about a Warforged's immunities).

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-05, 06:44 PM

It's not clear in the game world, but I do believe that there would be no way to explain how they gained sentience and feelings and independence and other stuff if they didn't have souls.

Marnath
2011-07-05, 06:59 PM
Well, Trap the Soul. Better example.

That's because Warforged don't have a Skeletal structure, which is required for both the Zombie and Skeleton templates. Do note that they can be turned into Spawn of various undead (provided you can find one that can do so without needing to worry about a Warforged's immunities).

Don't most/all of the create spawn abilities only affect humanoids?

It's not clear in the game world, but I do believe that there would be no way to explain how they gained sentience and feelings and independence and other stuff if they didn't have souls.

They may very well have souls. I never said they didn't.:smallwink: My point was it's hardly "definitely have souls." It's more "do they or don't they?" /nitpick

Arbane
2011-07-05, 07:27 PM

The ability to take Cleric levels?

FMArthur
2011-07-05, 07:44 PM
Anything capable of taking levels in Favored Soul has a soul. :smallcool:

big teej
2011-07-05, 07:51 PM

must have missed it then.

oooh useful tidbit -files away-

Flame of Anor
2011-07-05, 09:29 PM
Anything capable of taking levels in Favored Soul has a soul. :smallcool:

Ding, thread won.

Zaq
2011-07-05, 09:41 PM
Also, essentia.

Incidentally, warforged make really good Totemists, for several reasons.

Big Fau
2011-07-05, 10:05 PM
Also, essentia.

And, from personal experience, Incarnates.

Halae
2011-07-05, 11:43 PM

Wrong on that! This article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20050711a) states they have a supporting structure that acts as a skeleton while the livewood in their bodies acts like muscles, so skeletons and zombies are go.

Cerlis
2011-07-05, 11:55 PM
Also, essentia.

any particular reason?

shadow_archmagi
2011-07-05, 11:57 PM
Wrong on that! This article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20050711a) states they have a supporting structure that acts as a skeleton while the livewood in their bodies acts like muscles, so skeletons and zombies are go.

Supporting structure isn't necessarily a skeleton

Tvtyrant
2011-07-05, 11:59 PM
Supporting structure isn't necessarily a skeleton

In fact it is rarely a true skeleton; only cordates get those! Even support structures made of calcium aren't accepted as skeletons unless they have marrow (so squid pens are out for instance, they are secreted rather then grown).

MeeposFire
2011-07-06, 12:09 AM
any particular reason?

bonus to con, immunities, adamantine body (if you want), and an extra slam attack would be a start I think.

nyarlathotep
2011-07-06, 02:52 AM
bonus to con, immunities, adamantine body (if you want), and an extra slam attack would be a start I think.

They can also get a second slam and bite attack through feats, getting extra natural attacks normally requires vile feats, which seldom gel with the party.

Zaq
2011-07-06, 02:56 AM
any particular reason?

Well, on a crunch level, they've got stats in the right places (a penalty to WIS hurts a little, but CHA is mostly not an issue, and CON is great), they've got easy access to three extra natural weapons (they have a slam right out of the box, and they can get a second slam and a bite with a feat apiece), their immunities are great for any frontliner, and if you choose to go for the armor feats, they do a lot to keep you alive until you start one-shotting things.

On a fluff level, there are two easy and fun hooks for a 'forged Totemist. One is that they're obsessed with proving that they do indeed have a soul, perhaps feeling closer to the magical beasts (who don't judge them) than to people (who do), but either way being very in-your-face about it. The other is that they're really not certain how souls work or even if they have one or not, so they're constantly experimenting with new and different flavors of soul energy, trying to see what sticks with them and what really works . . . trying to get a feel for how the whole thing works in general. There are, of course, no shortage of ways to play such a character, but I'm personally very fond of both of those two interpretations, so I feel like they're good stepping stones.

The CON boost and the extra natural attacks are the real gold, though.

Fouredged Sword
2011-07-06, 10:55 AM
I at one point built a powerful warforged crusader / totemist for a low level party. Lots of natural attacks slam / bite / claw / claw / claw / claw. This with devoted spirit's first level stance causeing healing every hit was golden.

subject42
2011-07-06, 11:02 AM

Where are the rules for that? Somehow I missed that little gem.

Marnath
2011-07-06, 11:03 AM

The word they used in the other article(you linked the wrong one:smallwink:) is "Frame" which isn't the same thing as a skeleton. Probably just some sticks hooked together in a crude approximation of a stick figure, something to tie the muscle bundles too.

The Glyphstone
2011-07-06, 11:04 AM

Not really. Rust monsters have the exact same effect on Iron Golems, who are 100% metal.

Marnath
2011-07-06, 11:10 AM
Not really. Rust monsters have the exact same effect on Iron Golems, who are 100% metal.

Plus, an average warforged looks like this:

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n539/marnath1/82093.jpg

Most of that is stone and wood, only the shiny bits are even metal.

Big Fau
2011-07-06, 11:27 AM
Where are the rules for that? Somehow I missed that little gem.

Its in the ECS, page 46. A successful Craft check heals the Warforged equal to the Check's result -15, and there's a feat in Dragonmarked that increases the benefits.

subject42
2011-07-06, 11:34 AM
Its in the ECS, page 46. A successful Craft check heals the Warforged equal to the Check's result -15, and there's a feat in Dragonmarked that increases the benefits.

So based on that, couldn't you just get a very high craft check and cover yourself in a swarm of dedicated wrights to render yourself nearly indestructible?

Maybe a warforged's greatest fear is being naked?

Cog
2011-07-06, 11:36 AM
Given the pictures such as Marnath posted, somehow I doubt that.

subject42
2011-07-06, 11:37 AM
Given the pictures such as Marnath posted, somehow I doubt that.

Come on! Look at him! CAN'T YOU SEE THE FEAR IN HIS ROBOT EYES?

Big Fau
2011-07-06, 11:45 AM
So based on that, couldn't you just get a very high craft check and cover yourself in a swarm of dedicated wrights to render yourself nearly indestructible?

Takes 8 hours.

subject42
2011-07-06, 11:49 AM
Takes 8 hours.

That means you would only need... 4,800 wrights, working in staggered shifts, to get a craft check every round.

Big Fau
2011-07-06, 12:06 PM
That means you would only need... 4,800 wrights, working in staggered shifts, to get a craft check every round.

No no no, the Craft check is made once every 8 hours, and only after that do you heal the damage.

FMArthur
2011-07-06, 12:10 PM
That doesn't matter. If one starts a Craft check on you every round, every round after the first 8 hours one of them finishes the check.

It's just really difficult for other reasons (size, space, the fact that none of them are anywhere close to indestructible).

big teej
2011-07-06, 12:37 PM

oh....
I didn't know that either :smalltongue:
curse you and your infernal knowledge glyphstone!
stop saying things I don't know! :smalltongue:

Plus, an average warforged looks like this:

Most of that is stone and wood, only the shiny bits are even metal.

oh.... totally now how I envisioned my particular warforged....

question. would one with the varied armored body feats look different?

(and yes, he does look kinda freaked out if you factor in the way his mouth is crooked)

Marnath
2011-07-06, 12:45 PM
oh.... totally now how I envisioned my particular warforged....

question. would one with the varied armored body feats look different?

Yeah.

Here's a couple with adamantine(at least, I think the first one is:smallconfused:):
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n539/marnath1/Warforged_fighter.jpg
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n539/marnath1/Warforged_juggernaut.jpg

And a mithral one:
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n539/marnath1/Warforged_mithral.jpg

there's plenty more examples on google.

big teej
2011-07-06, 12:59 PM
ah. see the guy with the axe-hand and the mithral one are more what I had envisioned.

Big Fau
2011-07-06, 01:06 PM
ah. see the guy with the axe-hand and the mithral one are more what I had envisioned.

The one with the Axe hand is a Warforged Juggernaut (a PrC in the ECS). Do note that even he still has wooden and stone body parts, but that the Adamantine Body covers more of his surface area.