PDA

View Full Version : wierdest sammich ever.

big teej
2011-07-06, 01:17 AM
I submit to the playground. 2 sammiches of yummyness that evoke absolutly disgusted responses in most people that hear of them.

I dare you to try them. :smallbiggrin:

I also dare you to submit your own wierd sammichs.

sammich number 1
the bannana and pickle.

slice bananna and place on bread, followed by pickles*, sandwhich pickles between more bannana if desired.

*like on a hamburger

enjoy.

sammich number 2
the bannana and chicken sammich.

take a fried chicken strip. lay on bread, take a bananananana, place on top of chicken strip. use second piece of bread to smush it down.

enjoy. :smallbiggrin:

so.
who has sammich number 3?

Raistlin1040
2011-07-06, 01:33 AM
It's not disgusting, but it is regularly decried as being "too dry" (a claim I dispute) or "too carby" (which it totally is). On wheat bread (the wheatier and nuttier the better. Mine has like 12 grains and 9 nuts or something), spread peanut butter and then put cheese on it (I enjoy Provolone, but we usually don't have any good stuff, so Cheddar works). If you find it "too dry", dip with ketchup (which I like, but have heard the "disgusting" line all too many times).

KingOfLaughter
2011-07-06, 01:36 AM
Those sound good!
Catsoup and honey.

Put honey on bread, put ketchup on after words. It's actually quite delicious!

druid91
2011-07-06, 01:37 AM
Neither of those are wierd.

Wierd was my original vision of a popcorn sandwhich.

Which included ripping open an unpooped bag of popcorn stuffing the kernels and butter slab between two slices of bread and microwaving it.

Cue me opening the microwave to find a hole in my paper plate and sandwich while popcorn shoots at me.

Wierdest sandwich ever.

Prendre
2011-07-06, 02:21 AM
--Peanut butter & dill pickles on rye. (Vlasic works best in my experience.) Experiment until proper peanut butter:pickle ratio is found.

--Ketchup, curry powder, and any meat ever. ...bread optional.

Lady Moreta
2011-07-06, 02:33 AM
It's not disgusting, but it is regularly decried as being "too dry" (a claim I dispute) or "too carby" (which it totally is). On wheat bread (the wheatier and nuttier the better. Mine has like 12 grains and 9 nuts or something), spread peanut butter and then put cheese on it (I enjoy Provolone, but we usually don't have any good stuff, so Cheddar works). If you find it "too dry", dip with ketchup (which I like, but have heard the "disgusting" line all too many times).

That does sound quite good...

Weirdest sandwich I've ever had - Creme Egg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadbury_Creme_Egg) sandwich... while on fieldschool at uni. Yeah... it was nearing the end of the two weeks and we were seriously running out of ideas...

Eldan
2011-07-06, 03:00 AM
I often make what I call "everything I had left in the fridge at the time" sandwiches.

A few I remember include:

Gruyère cheese, smoked trout, onions and green curry; Mashed bananas, red curry and onions (surprisingly good, actually); sweet corn, cream cheese, red pepper and brie; gorgonzola, garlic and peaches...

People think I'm weird, but I like them.

Anuan
2011-07-06, 03:09 AM
Peanutbutter, cornchips, annnddd...I seriously don't remember what else was on that. Felix was there. There's video evidence. But I do not recall. I -do- recall that we spread it so thick with peanut butter that I choked and my gag-reflex was triggered to the point I'm pretty sure I threw up D:

Ham, cheese and milo toasted sammich, with tomato sauce (of the ketchup variety).

Cespenar
2011-07-06, 05:42 AM
Salmon paste and mustard. Admittedly, not that weird.

Eldan
2011-07-06, 06:26 AM
Salmon paste and mustard. Admittedly, not that weird.

Eh. Pretty normal. Dijon mustard and fig jam.

Artemis97
2011-07-06, 06:42 AM
Not one of mine, but something my dad often makes (When he's not using jedi mind tricks to convince me to make him grilled cheese). Banana and mayonaise. He slices the bananas thinly lengthwise and lays them on the bread slathered in mayo. It's a strange process to watch, bacause I think it would taste awful, but he seems to like it.

He also suggested peanutbutter and bacon (or ham) to me, which is a fantastic combination. Jelly was also suggested to go with it, but i don't like peanut butter and jelly on the same sandwich.

Lastly I'll suggest something that's apparently rare in my part of the world (again another thing told to me by dad when he talks about his travels). This one comes to us from the French. Ham and butter on a fresh baguette. sounds so weird, but it's really delicious. Add a good cheese too, if you're inclined. I like swiss on mine.

Form
2011-07-06, 06:45 AM
Banana and chicken doesn't sound like such a strange combination for some reason. Maybe it's because I just love meat.

Banana and pickles however..... I'm rather opposed to trying that out.

Cespenar
2011-07-06, 07:11 AM
Eh. Pretty normal. Dijon mustard and fig jam.

My sandwiches tend not to go much into the extremes, yes. Dijon mustard and fig jam, though? Like 'em both, but, hmm. Mustard would overpower, methinks.

Eldan
2011-07-06, 08:06 AM
My sandwiches tend not to go much into the extremes, yes. Dijon mustard and fig jam, though? Like 'em both, but, hmm. Mustard would overpower, methinks.

Yup. Balancing flavours is true mastery in cooking. I rarely manage it all that well.

polity4life
2011-07-06, 08:18 AM
Banana and chicken? How about fried plantains with a white chicken breast seasoned in a Caribbean Jerk rub or sauce? Throw on a slaw made with a bit of olive oil and pepper instead of mayo. Mmm...might be on the dinner menu tonight.

Mono Vertigo
2011-07-06, 08:28 AM
When I ordered a bacon, goat cheese, mushroom and honey sandwich at some sandwich place last month... they looked at me funny, and I distinctly heard customers behind me laughing and finding that weird.
Hey! It's not strange! There was a bacon and goat cheese on the menu, mushrooms were a normal ingredient, and honey was listed among the sauces! Why suggest it if they don't expect people to actually order it?
I don't care, it was the best sandwich I ever ate. :smallamused:

As for banana and chicken... doesn't sound that weird to me either. Heck, I might try it, if I were more fond of bananas.

LaZodiac
2011-07-06, 09:31 AM
Honestly, none of these beat the Double Down for me. Who wants to eat two Kentucky Fried Chicken breasts with cheese in the middle of them?

Mono Vertigo
2011-07-06, 09:35 AM
Honestly, none of these beat the Double Down for me. Who wants to eat two Kentucky Fried Chicken breasts with cheese in the middle of them?
Me! :smallbiggrin:
There's almost no KFC in my country. SO MUCH SORROW.

polity4life
2011-07-06, 09:37 AM

The Double Down brought me to a very dark, forlorn place. I never want to go back there again. You are either brave or foolhardy if you seek this...thing.

LaZodiac
2011-07-06, 09:37 AM
I'm sorry Musashi, but you don't want it. At all. KFC's not common in your country, so you may not actually be built to take the sheer..uniqueness, of the Double Down. Or anything KFC has.

Mendatt
2011-07-06, 09:38 AM
I often make what I call "everything I had left in the fridge at the time" sandwiches.

A few I remember include:

Gruyère cheese, smoked trout, onions and green curry; Mashed bananas, red curry and onions (surprisingly good, actually); sweet corn, cream cheese, red pepper and brie; gorgonzola, garlic and peaches...

People think I'm weird, but I like them.

Those actually sound delicious. I'm going to go make one of those.
Let's see... There was this one time when I hadn't taken a trip to a grocery store for a while, and about half of the food I had left was an egg, minute amounts of provolone, some cheddar, pesto, garlic, onions, and salami, as well as some bread. So I mixed them all together, cooked, and slapped between two pieces of bread, and viola! A really really weird sammich that also tasted sort of good if you got past the fact that you could smell it from miles away.

factotum
2011-07-06, 09:54 AM
This one comes to us from the French. Ham and butter on a fresh baguette. sounds so weird, but it's really delicious. Add a good cheese too, if you're inclined. I like swiss on mine.

Eh? Since when has a ham sandwich been weird in any way? :smallconfused: Ham and cheese even less so...

Mono Vertigo
2011-07-06, 10:32 AM
I'm sorry Musashi, but you don't want it. At all. KFC's not common in your country, so you may not actually be built to take the sheer..uniqueness, of the Double Down. Or anything KFC has.
I've been to KFC more than once in other countries. It's one of my favourite fast food places. I'm afraid of no gloriously greasy, fried chicken. :smallwink:

LaZodiac
2011-07-06, 10:34 AM
Ah, ok. If you ever get the chance, try it then. I'm actually curious how it tastes, but am too afraid of dying.

druid91
2011-07-06, 10:46 AM
Ah, ok. If you ever get the chance, try it then. I'm actually curious how it tastes, but am too afraid of dying.

Dying?

How on earth could a chicken sandwhich kill you?

LaZodiac
2011-07-06, 10:47 AM
It's two quite large slabs of deep fried KFC chicken breasts with I think two slices of melted cheese inbetween them. The chicken is the bun of this sandwhich man, my hands will either burn off or my heart will explode from eating the thing.

druid91
2011-07-06, 10:59 AM
It's two quite large slabs of deep fried KFC chicken breasts with I think two slices of melted cheese inbetween them. The chicken is the bun of this sandwhich man, my hands will either burn off or my heart will explode from eating the thing.

... That's why cooks are awesome. Heat resistant hands.

And even without that there are forks and knives.

polity4life
2011-07-06, 11:07 AM

You forget the bacon and zesty butter sauce.

Roland St. Jude
2011-07-06, 11:10 AM
The Mitch Hedberg special: Cottage cheese and pastrami on banana bread. Eat one very March 29. RIP Mitch.

Kobold-Bard
2011-07-06, 11:13 AM
... That's why cooks are awesome. Heat resistant hands.

And even without that there are forks and knives.

Attempting to use a knife & fork in KFC will result in your fellow diners holding you down while the staff chop off your hands as penance.

You eat KFC with your fingers or you don't eat it at all.

I'm a bit of a food wimp so I haven't eaten any magnificently weird sandwiches.

polity4life
2011-07-06, 11:17 AM
The Mitch Hedberg special: Cottage cheese and pastrami on banana bread. Eat one very March 29. RIP Mitch.

What color of bananas went in the bread?

big teej
2011-07-06, 12:27 PM
Banana and chicken doesn't sound like such a strange combination for some reason. Maybe it's because I just love meat.

Banana and pickles however..... I'm rather opposed to trying that out.

the bannana and chicken was created by me looking around the kitchen going "what do I want to eat?"

I saw chicken in the fridge and I was like "oooh yummy chicken"
and then I turned around and saw the bannanas and part of my brain went.
"banannas and chicken?....I MUST try it!"

and now it's one of my favorite sammiches.

as for bannana and pickle. I honestly can't remember what inspired trying that. :smallfrown:

I think the same idea as the chicken, but I can't be sure.

Mercenary Pen
2011-07-06, 01:11 PM
Can't go with the first two since I dislike bananas, but I did actually try Pork Salami and strawberry jam a good few years back, and it worked surprisingly well.

For more ordinary fare, ham cheese and mango chutney sandwiches spring readily to mind.

druid91
2011-07-06, 01:34 PM
Attempting to use a knife & fork in KFC will result in your fellow diners holding you down while the staff chop off your hands as penance.

You eat KFC with your fingers or you don't eat it at all.

I'm a bit of a food wimp so I haven't eaten any magnificently weird sandwiches.

Who eats in the store? Anyway, I prefer the local all you can eat chinese place.

One time my dad found a tentacle in his rice! He ate it.

And this is relevant because I'd make chinese food sandwich's.

Cespenar
2011-07-06, 01:39 PM
Those actually sound delicious. I'm going to go make one of those.
Let's see... There was this one time when I hadn't taken a trip to a grocery store for a while, and about half of the food I had left was an egg, minute amounts of provolone, some cheddar, pesto, garlic, onions, and salami, as well as some bread. So I mixed them all together, cooked, and slapped between two pieces of bread, and viola! A really really weird sammich that also tasted sort of good if you got past the fact that you could smell it from miles away.

I dunno, those ingredients sound pretty synergistic to me.

mangosta71
2011-07-06, 03:44 PM
People at Subway always look at me funny when I ask for banana peppers, jalapeños, cucumber, lettuce, tomato, and honey mustard on my meatball subs...

Orzel
2011-07-06, 06:56 PM
possum and cheddar on a sweet bun.

Chewy.

Nopraptor
2011-07-07, 07:30 PM
I have a good one, choclate spread, cornflakes, homus, pickeles, yellow cheese, olives and hard boiled egg. yum....

I made it at a few day long field trip with my school, its all they had on the table between two pieces of bread :smallbiggrin:

Artemis97
2011-07-07, 07:51 PM
Eh? Since when has a ham sandwich been weird in any way? :smallconfused: Ham and cheese even less so...

It's the butter that makes it odd. Certainly not as odd as some of the other sandwiches in this thread, but the idea of spreading butter on ham... it's just odd, at least from an American perspective (if I may speak for my fellow countrymen). I was sure it wouldn't taste good, but I trusted my dad's experience and tried it and discovered that it's pretty darned tasty.

Asthix
2011-07-07, 07:55 PM
One Mitch Hedberg Special please.

I began making peanut butter and Miracle Whip sandwiches from a young age because I liked them and seemed to gross out everyone.

Suicidal Charge
2011-07-07, 08:00 PM
Pickles and maple syrup on white bread. It's actually surprisingly delicious.

Edit: The bread was pretty thin, though. About a quarter inch, I think.

Admiral Squish
2011-07-07, 08:24 PM
PB and chocolate chips. Not exactly the WEIRDEST sammich, but it's delicious!

Dr.Epic
2011-07-07, 08:26 PM
Chocolate Sandwhich:

Two Reece's and some Trix between two Crunch bars.

LaZodiac
2011-07-07, 08:30 PM
Chocolate Sandwhich:

Two Reece's and some Trix between two Crunch bars.

Random thought, isn't a reece's peanut butter cup technicaly a sandwhich in and of itself? Two layers of chocolate, with peanut butter in the middle.

Dr.Epic
2011-07-07, 08:37 PM
Random thought, isn't a reece's peanut butter cup technicaly a sandwhich in and of itself? Two layers of chocolate, with peanut butter in the middle.

I heard you like sandwiches, so I put a sandwich in your sandwich.

LaZodiac
2011-07-07, 08:41 PM
I heard you like sandwiches, so I put a sandwich in your sandwich.

I once had a lunchable that had enough peices of meat, cheese, and cracker, that I had a quint level sandwhich. Yummy.

Ranger Mattos
2011-07-07, 09:29 PM
Apparently I'm not too good at weird sandwiches. The weirdest I've made is a peanut butter, jelly, honey, banana, and goldfish (the crackers).

My dad is very bad at weird sandwiches. I think the weirdest he's ever made is peanut butter and honey.

Admiral Squish
2011-07-07, 09:42 PM
Oooh! Wait! this one's crazy: Peanut butter and marshmallow fluff.

THAC0
2011-07-08, 12:39 AM
possum and cheddar on a sweet bun.

Chewy.

That beats my porcupine. :smallbiggrin:

Tebryn
2011-07-08, 01:16 AM
Oooh! Wait! this one's crazy: Peanut butter and marshmallow fluff.

That's not weird at all, it's called a fluffernutter. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluffernutter)

factotum
2011-07-08, 01:38 AM
It's the butter that makes it odd. Certainly not as odd as some of the other sandwiches in this thread, but the idea of spreading butter on ham... it's just odd, at least from an American perspective

It's perfectly normal in the UK...we butter the bread in order to hold the sandwich together! :smalltongue:

GoblinGilmartin
2011-07-08, 01:45 AM
my stepdad, margarine and peanut butter. A lot of margaringe.

Gitman00
2011-07-08, 02:12 AM

I wouldn't call that too carby, as sandwiches go. Cheese and peanut butter are both high protein and low carb (as long as you don't get a really sweet brand of peanut butter), and multigrain bread is much lower-carb than white bread. Sounds pretty good.

Kobold-Bard
2011-07-08, 02:19 AM
my stepdad, margarine and peanut butter. A lot of margaringe.

You put your stepdad on a sandwich? :smalleek:

Eldan
2011-07-08, 03:53 AM
It's the butter that makes it odd. Certainly not as odd as some of the other sandwiches in this thread, but the idea of spreading butter on ham... it's just odd, at least from an American perspective (if I may speak for my fellow countrymen). I was sure it wouldn't taste good, but I trusted my dad's experience and tried it and discovered that it's pretty darned tasty.

Really? In my experience, people around here put butter in just about every sandwich imaginable. Certainly 80% of store-bought ones, at least.

Shaunaniguns
2011-07-08, 06:01 AM
Pumpernickle Toast, Bread & Butter Pickles, Sprouts, Thinly sliced Red Onions, & Extra Sharp Cheddar....
Incidently invented by a four year old.
Sounded disgusting, tasted not disgusting.
Ya.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-08, 06:19 AM
100% Peanuts (not *gag* peanut flavoured shortening) Peanut Butter base on an open face toasted whole wheat, with slices of tomato, shredded cheddar cheese, thinly sliced raw onion, droozled (it's like drizzled, but more of it) in salad dressing and Sriracha sauce.
Share and enjoy!:smallsmile:

PsychoticPanda
2011-07-08, 12:58 PM

Ohhh that sounds so good. I'll have to try it!:smallbiggrin:

I also have a great sandwich, peanut butter (Not chunky) and m&m's. Though it's not as original as the other sandwiches on this thread, it tastes great.

golentan
2011-07-08, 01:43 PM
I know it was alluded to earlier in the thread, but banana and mayonnaise. Especially good if you fry the bananas in oil beforehand, so they're slightly crispy (like plantain, which is an acceptable substitute). The other one I really like is roast beef, cream cheese, ketchup and hot sauce. Really good, and a nice "cold and hot" sandwich (you eat it cold, but if you make it right you feel the burn).

Nezzarth
2011-07-08, 03:39 PM
Mayo and Pineapple...

Married into a family that eats them. First bite was quite a surprise since I didn't know what it was...

Elder Tsofu
2011-07-08, 04:15 PM
Really? In my experience, people around here put butter in just about every sandwich imaginable. Certainly 80% of store-bought ones, at least.

Indeed, a sandwich without butter (or at least margarine) is out of the norm here (Northern Europe).
But then again, when I was in the US I had to elbow my way through stuff like "you wouldn't believe its not butter" and fat-free margarine in search of the actual thing - so I wouldn't be surprised if this custom is rare over there.

Phae Nymna
2011-07-08, 11:55 PM
Cream Cheese & Olive
Horseradish & Honey
Peanut Butter & Brie
Limburger & Onion
Roast Garlic & Mayonnaise
Marmite & More Marmite

And my favourite:

Lox, Blue Brie, and sautéed mushrooms on rye.

Human Paragon 3
2011-07-08, 11:59 PM
My wife and I invented a sandwich that could only possibly be made at a state fair. It's the clucky baconanner (or, if you're really hungry, the double clucky baconanner)

The clucky baconanner is a peanutbutter, bacon and fried chicken sandwich between two thick slices of banana bread, battered and deep fried. The double clucky baconanner has three slices of banana bread and double the chicken, peanutbutter and bacon.

If you are a wimp, you can get the norman baconanner, which holds the fried chicken. (The chicken is what makes it clucky).

Ranielle
2011-07-09, 02:55 AM
Banana and chicken actually tasted rather nice, thanks. Now to try it on some guests.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-09, 05:44 AM
Like raspberry jam with my beef burgers. I find the earthy sweetness is actually rather nice with the rich beefiness.

Shadow of the Sun
2011-07-09, 05:50 AM
One from my high school years:

The fadoober (in-joke) sammich:

Take two crusty pieces of bread, toasted if you prefer, and put between them grapes and dry pretzels. You can add a spread or relish of your choice.

Now, I can't stand the grape-pretzel mix, but I've met people who liked the idea.

RedDeerJebediah
2011-07-09, 01:54 PM
I've only invented one sandwich to date. It's not really a weird sandwich, though; I was desperately trying to cure a hangover, and I know eggs and ham had always helped me, so I invented the "Æggehelvede" (translation: "Egg Hell").
It's just a symmetric toast sandwich with two slices of ham, two eggs over easy done on both sides and bacon in middle parting the two halfs. Not exactly good for you if eaten on a regular basis, but at the time it was the best damn thing I'd ever had. =p

Dr.Epic
2011-07-09, 02:06 PM
I think once as a little kid I made a ketchup sandwich once.

Mercenary Pen
2011-07-09, 06:32 PM
I think once as a little kid I made a ketchup sandwich once.

I've done that a few times, tastes good even without the addition of sausage or bacon. There's also the Fried egg chilli chutney sandwich (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSfa6a0e5Os) which I have always wondered about trying but never gotten around to.

Anuan
2011-07-12, 04:52 AM
I've done that a few times, tastes good even without the addition of sausage or bacon. There's also the Fried egg chilli chutney sandwich (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSfa6a0e5Os) which I have always wondered about trying but never gotten around to.

Just to note; it's delicious if using a good chilli-chutney. American friends of mine have thought of the chilli as putting chilli con carne on the sandwhich, which I think would ruin it.

It's even nicer with some thick-cut (especially if fried) ham, and/or some cheese.

State of the art sarny.

Mercenary Pen
2011-07-12, 05:52 AM
Just to note; it's delicious if using a good chilli-chutney. American friends of mine have thought of the chilli as putting chilli con carne on the sandwhich, which I think would ruin it.

It's even nicer with some thick-cut (especially if fried) ham, and/or some cheese.

State of the art sarny.

Red Dwarf episode states outright that chilli sauce and chutney should be used, though the variety of chutney to be used is not specified.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-12, 06:23 AM
Coleslaw, cold ham steak or fish fillets, and cheese. If it is ham, mustard. Otherwise a squidge of tarter sauce is nice.
Cold tuna macaroni casserole, barbecue sauce and cheese.

Anuan
2011-07-13, 05:29 AM
Red Dwarf episode states outright that chilli sauce and chutney should be used, though the variety of chutney to be used is not specified.

Herpderp, I managed to forget this.
Also probably good. IIRC, I wanted to try it out but didn't have any chillisauce around, so I used a good tomato and chilli chutney we had.

Damn delicious.