PDA

View Full Version : Sharp upper arm pain?

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-06, 08:38 AM
I don't know how I managed to do this. Last night I had another two hours of Halo Reach with friends. When I got up, I noticed my heart was beating pretty hard and my ribs hurt. I figured it was just that I was sitting wierd. I went to put the phone down that night and as my arm straightened out I got a wicked stabbing pain in my tricep. It initially felt like someone had just pulled muscle apart and then quickly faded to very painful pins and needles before being numb for about ten minutes. After half an hour the pain was gone.

It happened this morning again, after using my laptop (on my desk) for about half an hour, I got up to make breakfast and let my arms fall to my side and it happened again, perhaps worse this time. Its been my right arm in both cases. After I do it, I realize it felt like my skin is just a bag. When I straighten out my arm the forearm and part of my upper arm just drop to the bottom and leave the rest of the arm up top. The arm feels more less intact afterwards, except for the lingering pain.

The only thing that comes to mind is a torn muscle. But I don't have that kind of pain tolerance, and its only occasional, so I very much doubt its that. It doesn't feel like I have any bruising, so I can't imagine its pulled. But I don't know. I know we've got people wiser and more educated than I here (probably at least 95% of you, actually), and I'd like to avoid going to the doctor if I can ease the problem myself.

polity4life
2011-07-06, 08:51 AM
It could be a pinched or damaged nerve from repetitious movements or holding a position for an extended period of time.

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-06, 08:54 AM
It could be a pinched or damaged nerve from repetitious movements or holding a position for an extended period of time.

That's a thought. I do spend quite a bit of time sitting in one position pressing buttons. I noticed it felt like it could come back if I decided to try it. Suggestions for temporary treatment?

polity4life
2011-07-06, 08:59 AM
The problem with nerve issues, if this actually is one, is that the source of the issue and where the pain mainfests may be different locations. For example, the issue may be in the shoulder but you're feeling it in your upper arm.

When I experience something like that, I try to lightly stretch the areas that feel affected. I do both static and ballistic stretching. Sometimes that alone helps and sometimes I question myself as to why I'm putting myself through more pain.

No matter the case, if the problem persists then go see your primary care physician.

Melayl
2011-07-06, 09:57 AM
No matter the case, if the problem persists then go see your primary care physician.

This is the best advice you will get for this problem.

I understand not wanting to see the doc if you don't have to, but it is likely to be the best thing to do in this case. I was particularly concerned after hearing that your heart was "beating pretty hard" in association with (at least the first) pain episode. While arm pain/numbness associated with a cardiac episode usually manifests in the left arm, it can happen in the right. Of course, the feeling that your heart was beating hard could be completely unrelated...

If it is a nerve problem, I can tell you that the sooner you begin treating it, the better. If you wait too long, you can end up with permanent damage, or require surgery with long recovery times.

Good luck!

Sipex
2011-07-06, 10:29 AM
I'd rule out heart problems, those usually lead to a 'squeezing' pain, like someone is putting pressure on the area (hence the whole 'Elephant on my chest') thing. It's not a bad idea to get it checked out but I wouldn't worry about it being a cardio problem.

Sounds a lot like a pinched nerve or possibly a circulation problem in your right arm. I'm no doctor so I can't give you an official ruling.

Schedule a check up with your doctor and they'll have it looked into.

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-06, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I don't think its a heart thing. Even though my current diet is about 75% ramen noodles. :smallsigh:

It happened twice or thrice more today. Once on the way back from class, followed by a smaller pain immediately afterwards. Suspect it was triggered by the shock from walking, as I wear Five Fingers that don't exactly cushion your steps. It also happened when I got back to my apartment, just moving around. I took some ibuprofen and iced it and it feels a little better now.

I will see how it is tomorrow, and then consider the doctor's.

Winter_Wolf
2011-07-06, 07:17 PM
Yah, this is what it is: GO SEE A DOCTOR. After he gives you a "well you're not dying" clearance, you could and should (unless there IS something wrong) get a licensed massage therapist to work on your thoracic outlet syndrome. Would be caused by nerve impingement on your brachial plexus by anterior + middle scalenes, pectoralis minor pinching it, or both. Without actually doing assessments, I couldn't say that's definitely what it IS, but it's the most likely culprit based on what you've said, because TOS affects people who do stupid things like sit in more or less the same position all day typing at a keyboard, or playing video games. :smalltongue: Also guilty of this myself. (who's less than 72 hours away from national certification in massage therapy? :smallbiggrin:)

Melayl
2011-07-06, 08:54 PM
I'd rule out heart problems, those usually lead to a 'squeezing' pain, like someone is putting pressure on the area (hence the whole 'Elephant on my chest') thing. It's not a bad idea to get it checked out but I wouldn't worry about it being a cardio problem.

Sounds a lot like a pinched nerve or possibly a circulation problem in your right arm. I'm no doctor so I can't give you an official ruling.

Schedule a check up with your doctor and they'll have it looked into.

I do agree that it probably wasn't cardiac related (since he's around to post). However, as an EMT, RN and AHA CPR Instructor, I have to point out the following:

Cardiac symptoms can vary from person to person. Yes, the "typical" cardiac episode is crushing chest pain, but it can very easily be pain in the neck, jaw, shoulder, back, side, or arm, with or without pain or pressure to the chest. Many people have atypical chest pain/cardiac symptoms, so unusual pains like that, particularly when cocommitant with rapid or unusual heart rates/sensations, always raise a red cardiac flag for me. But I'm paranoid. :smallbiggrin: [/rant]

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Also, if a pinched nerve, it could also be in your neck -- they often manifest with pain/numbness/weakness in one or both arms (which is why I will again plug seeing a doc if symptoms don't stay away without medication).

Bhu
2011-07-06, 09:12 PM
go to doctor. now. If it's nerve or muscle damage it's est to find it out quick. Also if you've had a stroke or cardiac problems there are blood tests to check.

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-06, 10:10 PM
Yah, this is what it is: GO SEE A DOCTOR. After he gives you a "well you're not dying" clearance, you could and should (unless there IS something wrong) get a licensed massage therapist to work on your thoracic outlet syndrome. Would be caused by nerve impingement on your brachial plexus by anterior + middle scalenes, pectoralis minor pinching it, or both. Without actually doing assessments, I couldn't say that's definitely what it IS, but it's the most likely culprit based on what you've said, because TOS affects people who do stupid things like sit in more or less the same position all day typing at a keyboard, or playing video games. :smalltongue: Also guilty of this myself. (who's less than 72 hours away from national certification in massage therapy? :smallbiggrin:)

Ah, definitely guilty as charged. I haven't found a job in this area and my fiancee is out of town, so I often spend upwards of five hours a day playing video games. Not a terribly healthy habit, either, and I realize that I just came off a four day weekend without class or anything to stop me. Only got up to use the restroom or make food. So we definitely know the cause.

I was originally a biology major and my fiancee is prepping for grad school, so I've heard of the thoracic outlet but I thought it was caused by having the arm elevated, like tucked under one's head while sleeping. My usual position is leaning back in my chair with the controller in my lap. A little cooped up and unnatural, I suppose. While showering I noticed aching in my back, perhaps my traps and a little in my legs.

Until I get professional help, what would you suggest? I started off with an ice pack and some ibuprofen in case it was muscle-related and it seemed to be helping, but that was probably because I also just lied in bed for an hour. I tried a heat pack which felt good, in case it was a nerve problem, but it definitely feels like it could come back if I'm not careful.

Winter_Wolf
2011-07-07, 09:23 AM
*snip*

Until I get professional help, what would you suggest? I started off with an ice pack and some ibuprofen in case it was muscle-related and it seemed to be helping, but that was probably because I also just lied in bed for an hour. I tried a heat pack which felt good, in case it was a nerve problem, but it definitely feels like it could come back if I'm not careful.

Well, seeing a doctor to rule out other stuff IS the #1 suggestion. In the meantime you are doing what you can do, namely icing and ibuprofin or aspirin (DO NOT MIX; personal experience talking. They don't play well together. Read your drug labels!)

Sudden onset sharp pain is really one of those things that we're taught to refer the heck to a physician, because of the potential for really bad things to be going on in your body.

Below is optional (and very abridged) general stuff about thoracic outlet syndrome and me pimping massage:

TOS occurs anytime you spend too long in a position where your arms are in front of you, which causes stretching of certain muscles in the back and extended contraction of other muscles like the scalenes (in the neck), pectoralis minor (if your arms are forward at all, you're contracting them), and even down into the arms/hands. Nerve impingement causes pain/numbness/tingling in any or all of several areas, and you simply cannot have pain from carpal tunnel syndrome that radiates UP the arm to your elbow or neck, because it doesn't work that way.

Pimping massage as a helpful thing for this: until you change your lifestyle, you can't get rid of the problem. You can manage it though. We even have a term for this: condition management. And you know what? A lot of people are perfectly willing to pay the money to keep fixing what's ailing them even though they KNOW and have been repeatedly told that the problem won't get better until they change their habits.

One last thing for you: a lot of doctors don't even believe in thoracic outlet syndrome. Which is why I strongly suggest that once you get the "you're not dying" clearance, you get a licensed (or certified depending on your state) MT to work on it. Make sure to get references or at least good reviews from people, because you want a massage therapist who will actually, y'know, treat you therapeutically. No one is going to make it go away forever with a single session, either. I would certainly try a few rounds of massage before I even considered prescription pain meds or surgery. And there are more than a few docs who will pitch drugs and cutting you open as the only ways to go.

Sipex
2011-07-07, 09:38 AM
I do agree that it probably wasn't cardiac related (since he's around to post). However, as an EMT, RN and AHA CPR Instructor, I have to point out the following:

Cardiac symptoms can vary from person to person. Yes, the "typical" cardiac episode is crushing chest pain, but it can very easily be pain in the neck, jaw, shoulder, back, side, or arm, with or without pain or pressure to the chest. Many people have atypical chest pain/cardiac symptoms, so unusual pains like that, particularly when cocommitant with rapid or unusual heart rates/sensations, always raise a red cardiac flag for me. But I'm paranoid. :smallbiggrin: [/rant]

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Also, if a pinched nerve, it could also be in your neck -- they often manifest with pain/numbness/weakness in one or both arms (which is why I will again plug seeing a doc if symptoms don't stay away without medication).

You're more experienced than me in this situation, I've had first aid training so it's where I get my information from.

First, I understand it's not always in the chest and wasn't implying that it was, I just used the 'elephant on my chest' example as one example. What I did believe is that the 'squeezing' or pressure pain accompanied wherever you were experiencing the pain during cardiac problems (ie: Squeezing pain in your arm). Is this not true?

Melayl
2011-07-07, 10:39 PM
You're more experienced than me in this situation, I've had first aid training so it's where I get my information from.

First, I understand it's not always in the chest and wasn't implying that it was, I just used the 'elephant on my chest' example as one example. What I did believe is that the 'squeezing' or pressure pain accompanied wherever you were experiencing the pain during cardiac problems (ie: Squeezing pain in your arm). Is this not true?

Not everyone has that feeling of pressure on the chest with heart attack, though it is quite common. Symptoms can vary widely from person to person. Other cardiac conditions can cause that feeling of chest pressure as well, but most aren't as immediately dangerous as a heart attack. Recent updates to CPR instruction from the American Heart Association are more informative than they previously were. I strongly encourage everyone to get certified in CPR. Being able to save someone is always a good thing. :smallcool: [/tangent]