PDA

View Full Version : Most Powerful/Flavourful/Coolest Artifacts

Matamane
2011-07-06, 10:20 AM
I have the option to use any major or minor artifact in an upcoming game, but I'm not sure what to use. There are tons of these things, and I want to know if any of you know some of the gems flavour and power wise.

Any ideas?

mootoall
2011-07-06, 10:26 AM
I like the Dragon Orbs.

CTrees
2011-07-06, 11:03 AM
Honestly, for at least "coolest" (being an extremely subjective category) I always loved the Deck of Many Things. Even if things like Augury are ruled to be ineffective, you better believe my PC would try pulling at least one card.

Fearan
2011-07-06, 11:47 AM
Head of Vecna
</tread>

BlueInc
2011-07-06, 12:01 PM
Honestly, for at least "coolest" (being an extremely subjective category) I always loved the Deck of Many Things. Even if things like Augury are ruled to be ineffective, you better believe my PC would try pulling at least one card.

OH GOD NO. I could share with you my painful story, or I could direct you to this:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?522897-Penny-Arcade-Another-D-amp-D-comic.

To talk about what you asked for, I really like the Pathfinder Codex of the Infinite Planes.

http://prpg.imarvintpa.com/items.php?ID=5308

CTrees
2011-07-06, 12:02 PM
Head of Vecna
</tread>

+1 I can haz character count

Amnestic
2011-07-06, 12:09 PM
Head of Vecna
</tread>

I'm of the distinct opinion that people /threading their own posts are silly. You should leave such things to others to conclude.

My favourite Artifact is the Deck of Many Things, but that tends to be a campaign ender right there, so I can't recommend it.

herrhauptmann
2011-07-06, 03:25 PM
Head of Vecna
</tread>
That's a game for the early spring, about a week after equinox...

Favorite artifacts? I'm actually a fan of a lot of the ones in the Tome of Artifacts that Burlew helped write. Like the sword that makes any character pretty much a Paladin gestalt. But unfortunately, it also makes them absolutely crazy. Can't run away. Have to kill evil people. Can't even draw a bow to shoot the flying bad guys without a will save.

Girshtop
2011-07-07, 12:17 AM
It's not an artifact, But the Rod of Wonder is my favourite item in the game.

It's like the deck of many things, but less game breaking, and can (and should) be used every standard action.

I think WotC made a Greater Rod of Wonder (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20060807a) for even more badassery.

BillyBobJoe
2011-07-07, 12:41 AM
I love the Deck of Many Things, but will forever be traumatized by it. In one of our campaigns, we had to play a game of poker to get through the dungeon we were in. Turns out, the deck had random cards of the Deck of Many Things in it. The cards only took effect when they were in the winning hand. If the dealer won, he got to choose one person to have all the cards in his hand AND their hand to affect them. One person got Don Jon, and another got Void. That session sucked.

Steward
2011-07-07, 12:44 AM
Head of Vecna
</tread>

That item totally sucks. I heard a story about one group who lost three of their members trying to get it to work. I think you might have to actually be an undead to use it properly already (like a vampire or a lich, to survive losing your original head). See if your DM will allow you to play something like that (with LA, probably) before you choose this as your item. If you can't, I would stick with another item.

Divide by Zero
2011-07-07, 01:30 AM
That item totally sucks. I heard a story about one group who lost three of their members trying to get it to work. I think you might have to actually be an undead to use it properly already (like a vampire or a lich, to survive losing your original head). See if your DM will allow you to play something like that (with LA, probably) before you choose this as your item. If you can't, I would stick with another item.

If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were serious.

Alleran
2011-07-07, 01:44 AM
The most powerful artifact around is probably the Black Elfstone from the Shannara setting. Anybody who has that along with a decent Will save can shatter the game into tiny pieces.

The coolest... hrm. I'm tempted to say either the Nether Scrolls, the Elfblades of Cormanthyr, or some other Faerun artifact item. The setting has quite a few interesting ones. The Pathfinder floating sky-castle, on the other hand, is made of awesome.

Flavour really depends on the individual, though.