PDA

View Full Version : Scary Things

Pokonic
2011-07-06, 11:02 AM
Well playgrounders, what scares you? Link pics,creepypastas,general storys and personal experiences so we can all share in your terror!

Whiffet
2011-07-06, 12:07 PM
Driving on the highway and needing to get past a slow-moving eighteen-wheeler. Then having the driver not see you and decide to switch lanes just after you've decided to go for it.

Siosilvar
2011-07-06, 12:09 PM
Vines. *shudder*

Mono Vertigo
2011-07-06, 02:47 PM
Driving on the highway and needing to get past a slow-moving eighteen-wheeler. Then having the driver not see you and decide to switch lanes just after you've decided to go for it.
Scratch that, the highway period. It's a scary place for me. Especially when I'm driving (not alone; but when the school monitor makes me drive on the highway, I'm a silent bundle of nerves. Not helped in the slightest by a quizz on driving license I've seen on TV 2 weeks ago that aired some horrifying videos of freak accidents after the questions. :smalleek:

Also, spiders. I don't know why. Just spiders. They're fascinating arachnids, but if it's bigger than my fingernail or jumps, I don't want to deal with it.

MoonCat
2011-07-06, 02:49 PM
Wrists. And ribcages. I'm actually becoming less frightened of spiders, and ants I just hate, but wrists and ribcages make me want to jump out of the universe and move somewhere where everyone is made of goo.

Pink
2011-07-06, 03:52 PM
Single lane highway driving. Especially in winter. I never would of thought of it if somebody hadn't mentioned it though.

Also, slender man is a good fright.

Castaras
2011-07-06, 03:54 PM
Injections. Medical Stuff. Both make me faint at times, and feel woozy and sick other times. The side of the wrist the palm is on (the one with the veins and such) creeps me out. Not scared of it, but don't like it at all. (and I tried to write Squared instead of Scared... Hmm...)

GeekGirl
2011-07-06, 04:00 PM
Also, spiders. I don't know why. Just spiders. They're fascinating arachnids, but if it's bigger than my fingernail or jumps, I don't want to deal with it.

+1 I have still never seen (and refuse to) arachnophobia. To be completely honest, I get scared pretty easy in general. I also hate being home by late at night most noises play havoc in my senses. :smalleek:

Ravens_cry
2011-07-06, 04:43 PM
Walking through a spiderweb. Seriously, I will fracking FREAK if this happens. I know spiders are an essential part of our ecosystem, I know they are beautiful and fascinating creatures. I just don't want one on me. Ironically, it's the small ones that freak me out more than the big ones. The big ones aren't exactly cuddly, but there would be no mistake if one hopped on my arm. The small ones, well, you don't really know if one is touching you if you aren't looking at it. Plus the smaller ones are among the most poisonous.

Whiffet
2011-07-06, 04:59 PM

Ugh, yes. If a spider is close enough to me that it could get onto me... :smalleek:

I take comfort in the fact that I'm much better with them than my sister. It has to be real for me to freak out. My sister? Well, once the rest of us found a giant picture of a tarantula in some magazine. We cut it out and taped it on the door. Her reaction was hilarious.

It's even funnier considering she's generally very brave and constantly takes risks that would make a few people I know pee their pants. I'm pretty sure she fears nothing except arachnids and butterflies (no, really).

Maxios
2011-07-06, 05:01 PM
Insects. It's not really that they scare me, they just creep me out :smallsigh:
Sharks. I saw Jaws at a really young age :smalleek:
I'm also afraid of the dark and needles :smallannoyed:

super dark33
2011-07-06, 05:13 PM
those slugs, i dont want to touch these with a stick that is less then 6 centimeters, more of hypochondria then fear. all those bacterias around on them killed some people, and i dont want to take my chances!

Remmirath
2011-07-06, 05:48 PM
Dogs and medical stuff are the scariest to me, being just about tied. The first has less basis in rationality than the second.

Other things that are scary are driving at high speeds (so particularly the highway), people passing on two-lane roads, open/un-shuttered windows at night (only a problem if I'm on the first story of a building), and the very general fear of people I don't know turning out to be murderers.

Oh, also elephants. They just creep me out. There's something about the eyes of elephants - and the fact that when I was performing in a circus for a while people kept telling me how to evade the elephant if it went berserk did not help. :smallannoyed:

I'm also kind of afraid of crowds, and very open spaces get to me after a while. Primates also kind of give me the creeps.

THAC0
2011-07-06, 05:53 PM
Drowning. Getting stuck on mudflats and drowning.

Avalanches.

Recaiden
2011-07-06, 07:29 PM
Other people.

Airplanes. I have no problem flying on them, but it disturbs me to know one could fly over and bomb me and there's nothing I could do about it.

Eldonauran
2011-07-06, 07:50 PM
Two things... And only two things. One not so much scared as in really intensively alert when it happens.

1) Driving behind a semi-truck that is loaded with logs, tubes or anything cylandrical in appearance. I get a powerful urge to pass the semi as soon as possible, lest one of the objects comes free. Thank you Final Destination :smallannoyed:

2) Nuclear Bomb. Seeing one in a movie is enough to give me a terrible shiver of awe and dread. Actually seeing one in real life ought to scare the ... well, you get the idea. Closest I've had had to a nightmare was dreaming about a few missiles being dropped a few miles off in the horizon. :smalleek:

I was not pleased at all. Even had enough time to contemplate if I had time to get away before the blast hit and saw the shockwave. Just enough time to think "Well, that sucks ----". Brrr, goosebumps just remembering that...

Other than that ... Nope. Nothing scares me.

Admiral Squish
2011-07-06, 07:57 PM
Slenderman... I was terrified for MONTHS. Dark windows, in particular.

Duriath
2011-07-06, 09:27 PM
Being in a really high place w/o nothing to grab....the trucks they already mentioned, complete darkness it suffocates me I feel sick and something burning, turtles lol IDK why....but sea turtles are great already saw them doing all the nesting and stuff had a nice tour but normal turtles freak me out, opening my eyes in the night and feeling blind..

CynicalAvocado
2011-07-06, 10:02 PM
things like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wchcgl6Zas&feature=player_embedded)

Whiffet
2011-07-06, 10:09 PM
If you're a parent, and your kid is just starting to go out places on his/her own, nothing is more frightening than when the kid is out later than he/she was supposed to be and isn't responding to your calls and texts.

Elm11
2011-07-07, 08:22 AM
things like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wchcgl6Zas&feature=player_embedded)

Apparently my brain short circuited, because I just decided to click on that link despite it being late at night...

What could possibly go wrong?

Wait.. that's not where the garden gnome usua-

Serpentine
2011-07-07, 08:26 AM
Death, old age, the dark, earwigs, ticks.

Also, not so much "scary" as "creeps me right the hell out": huge paintings of faces up really close.
When I was little, my dad worked in an art gallery. For a while, there was a massive painting of an old man's face - as in, I think at least a couple of metres in both directions. I always walked past it fast because I was paranoid that the "giant" was going to come out and eat me.
Now, over the stairs at the university library, they recently installed another big painting of an old man's face - I think this one's smaller, but still a metre or two square. I have to avoid looking at it. Creeps me out.

Rising Phoenix
2011-07-07, 09:06 AM
Torture/ medical situations involving teeth, eyeballs and finger nails... I really can't watch those...

Pokonic
2011-07-07, 01:57 PM
Me, personaly? I cant stand the slenderman blogs/mythos. I was paranoid of dark rooms and the woods that are right next of my house for a week after going halfway into marble hornets, considering there are somtimes reports of weird animals in the woods, and there have been weird things happening there before the 1800s, which just made me even more of a parinoid wreak.

some guy
2011-07-07, 05:42 PM
If you're afraid of slenderman, you should try this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MXYC_jX2Wc). It will wipe all your fears of slenderman away. And I mean that in a good way.

As for myself, I have the tendency to think of Call of Cthulhu scenario's when I'm lying in the bed in the dark.
"Huh, I wonder how I can scare my players the next time?"
[thinks of something]
"Hahayes, that is quite scary."
a few minutes later:
"Oh no..."

Kirbot
2011-07-07, 05:44 PM
Needles. I hate needles.

And drowning.

And other people.

And helplessness. Especially the transition to helplessness from a previous lack thereof.

There are more I'm not thinking of. I should compile a list.

Pokonic
2011-07-07, 05:56 PM
If you're afraid of slenderman, you should try this video. It will wipe all your fears of slenderman away. And I mean that in a good way.

As for myself, I have the tendency to think of Call of Cthulhu scenario's when I'm lying in the bed in the dark.
"Huh, I wonder how I can scare my players the next time?"
[thinks of something]
"Hahayes, that is quite scary."
a few minutes later:
"Oh no..."
Honastly, I lost all fear of him a while ago, but those woods still freak me out a little, considering more than one body has been found there, with no reports of missing persons in the local area, its more than a little creepy.

some guy
2011-07-07, 06:11 PM
Honastly, I lost all fear of him a while ago, but those woods still freak me out a little, considering more than one body has been found there, with no reports of missing persons in the local area, its more than a little creepy.

I'm not really up to date with marble hornets, but I think woods are always scary. With the reduced visibility you can only see so much. And what you see is perfect camouflage for slendermen.
Stray cats once freaked me out only by being really thin and walking silently along the edge of a dark forest, watching me.

Jude_H
2011-07-07, 07:18 PM
Pattern baldness. :0

Eldonauran
2011-07-07, 07:33 PM
Pattern baldness. :0

*rubs his head*

Its not really that bad. Helps keep me cooler in the summer. :smalltongue:

Now, starting to go when you are a teenager ... That's the scary part. :smallamused:

ScottishDragon
2011-07-07, 08:29 PM
Torture/ medical situations involving teeth, eyeballs and finger nails... I really can't watch those...

This,and anything to do with people I know being kidnapped. I have nighmares about my sister being kidnapped...:smallfrown::smalleek:

Inhuman Bot
2011-07-07, 08:54 PM
Other people.

Pretty much. (http://www.wzzm13.com/video/livestream/live.aspx)

(Live feed of a stand-off between a spree killer and police in Grand Rapids, for anyone who doesn't feel like clicking the link.

WJMill
2011-07-07, 09:23 PM
I used to have an irrational fear of popping noises. Balloons.. Toasters.. Fireworks... Yeah. >_>;

enderlord99
2011-07-07, 09:33 PM
Sprouted potatoes. Seriously. Yes, I know it's weird.

Winter_Wolf
2011-07-07, 10:40 PM
The Curious Case of Smile.jpg (http://www.creepypastaindex.com/creepypasta/the-curious-case-of-smile-jpg) on creepypastaindex.com

Significantly more disturbing than I expected it to be.

CockroachTeaParty
2011-07-07, 10:52 PM
My greatest fear is bureaucracy. It's kind of hard to explain, but few things fill me with as much dread as going to some office somewhere and asking a surly person behind a desk for help. Going to an office, talking to a pencil-pusher, dialing a customer service hotline... all are things that fill me with inexplicable dread. So much so that I put off contacting various offices and things if I can help it. It's not... good.

Oh, and centipedes. The house centipedes where I live move so fast.

thubby
2011-07-08, 07:18 AM
i'm a man of many worries but few fears.

spiders are an outright phobia for me. one I've been able to work through when the need arises, but still freaking hard.

insanity is a terrifying prospect, given my family history of it.

im actually very comfortable in the dark (which creeps plenty of people out), but when im in the light when its dark, that gets to me.

shadow_archmagi
2011-07-08, 07:34 AM
Marphy Black.

Form
2011-07-08, 08:38 AM
Creepy crawlies in genera scare mel, specifically those with more than 8 legs. I can't stand centipedes or millipedes.

Yellyfish freak me out as well, as do a lot of other sea organisms actually. There are terrible things lurking in the ocean waters.

Mauve Shirt
2011-07-08, 08:47 AM
The possibility of bugs crawling on me while I sleep.
Mind-reading machines.
I don't at all like rain, and I will take great measures to avoid being caught in it, but I'm not really afraid of it.

Sipex
2011-07-08, 01:06 PM
For my real fears? Bees (in person, not pictures of).

Otherwise, there's some pretty good spine chilling creepy pasta and stories out there. Slenderman for one.

Some (words only) creepy pasta which is a favourite of mine:
You woke up suddenly in the night thinking you were thirsty, now you realise it was because of the screams.

You had flitted out to the hallway to grab some water when you saw a large, dark shape lumbering around in your parent's bedroom. It moved...unnaturally. It didn't belong. Afraid you sped back to your bedroom to hide.

It came to your bedroom, in a desperate panic you dove into bed and pretended to sleep. You could hear it moving around, pushing things, dragging things. But you did not dare to look. You just know it's waiting for you to wake up.

A horrible, foul smell fills your room, you peeked the slightest fraction and saw two figures sitting, propped up on chairs at the end of the bed. You can only imagine the horrified looks on their mangled faces. It propped your mother and father, dead, at the foot of your bed in preparation for when you wake up. What a sick thing to do.

The sun starts to come up and you can see that it has smeared something on your walls. Blood. Your parents blood is smeared on your walls.

It's left you this scene and you know it's hiding just out of view, waiting for you to wake up to your mangled parents with their blood smeared on your walls.

It looks like the blood spells out a message. The sun is coming out, you think you can read it.

"I know you're awake."

Admiral Squish
2011-07-08, 01:14 PM
Oh! I have a weird fear. Not REALLY a fear, but something that just makes me uncomfortable. Whenever I wash my hands while the toilet is flushing, I keep thinking that the water from the toilet is going to come out of the faucet. I have NO IDEA why it's such a persistant mental image. I know, rationally, that that's not how the plumbing works. But still, I can't shake the idea.

Dogmantra
2011-07-08, 01:23 PM
Oh! I have a weird fear. Not REALLY a fear, but something that just makes me uncomfortable. Whenever I wash my hands while the toilet is flushing, I keep thinking that the water from the toilet is going to come out of the faucet. I have NO IDEA why it's such a persistant mental image. I know, rationally, that that's not how the plumbing works. But still, I can't shake the idea.

I have a weirder toilet based not really fear too. I have to look at the toilet as it's flushing or at least not have my back to it. If I'm walking away... oh jeez. Actually, I've been getting better but it took a long time to shake even a tiny bit.

Serpentine
2011-07-08, 11:29 PM
I used to have to make sure I got out, dried and left the bathroom before all the water left the bathtub. Half game, half fear that the horrible gurgling monster was going to get me and suck me down the drain.

Pokonic
2011-07-10, 10:07 AM
Oh boy, guess what we found while walking. A deer head. Not a deer, just the severed head on a rock. Also, this is a buck,and not a drop of blood around or in it, and the woods have nothing in it that could do this, and no one can hunt yet, and even then we would know if guns where going off within the woods. And if it was illegal hunting, they whould not leave the head of a buck in the middle of the woods, let alown a 8 pointer! If thats not scary, i dont know what is!

Admiral Squish
2011-07-10, 10:51 AM
Oh, I got a tale.

I was doing some trash pickup at my school for extra credit. One morning, I came out to do the usual thing, and I found an ex-cat. Shaven from the neck down, with it's chest and stomach sawed open and it's organs gone. It was stiff and dried out, like some of those animals you see on the side of the road. Now, I was FREAKING OUT, because I'd heard some rumors of crazy stuff going down around the school.

Turns out, that in the advanced biology class, you dissect cats. Which is plety creepy on it's own. Seems a raccoon or something had gotten it out of the trash, dragged it out on the grass, and picked the last of it's guts out.

Serpentine
2011-07-10, 11:05 AM
Oh man, there's no way I could handle that. Even just dissecting rats, whenever I patted my cat I couldn't stop thinking "if I sliced down here, I would see this..." :smalleek:

Pokonic
2011-07-10, 11:12 AM
I was doing some trash pickup at my school for extra credit. One morning, I came out to do the usual thing, and I found an ex-cat. Shaven from the neck down, with it's chest and stomach sawed open and it's organs gone. It was stiff and dried out, like some of those animals you see on the side of the road. Now, I was FREAKING OUT, because I'd heard some rumors of crazy stuff going down around the school.

Blegh, thats just sick. But,I would sooner saw open a cat than a pig.Or deer.

turkishvan2
2011-07-10, 08:07 PM
I've got quite a list.
Old age
Death
Parasites
Insanity
Tight spaces
Low ceilings
High ceilings
Horses
Geese
Immortality
Unnatural looking vegetables
Jump scares
There's definitely more, but this is all I can think of for now.

Pokonic
2011-07-10, 08:54 PM
Horses? Why do you fear horses?

thubby
2011-07-10, 09:42 PM
I've got quite a list.
Old age
Death
Parasites
Insanity
Tight spaces
Low ceilings
High ceilings
Horses
Geese
Immortality
Jump scares

that must be rather stressful

enderlord99
2011-07-10, 10:08 PM
I've got quite a list.
Old age
Death
Parasites
Insanity
Tight spaces
Low ceilings
High ceilings
Horses
Geese
Immortality
Jump scares

Me too. *shudder* "sprouted potatoes"

turkishvan2
2011-07-10, 10:29 PM
Horses? Why do you fear horses?
No idea. I don't know the reasons for a lot of my fears.

enderlord99
2011-07-11, 09:34 AM
I've got quite a list.
Old age
Death
Parasites
Insanity
Tight spaces
Low ceilings
High ceilings
Horses
Geese
Immortality
Jump scares

Don't look at anyone's avatars, then:smallwink:

Sipex
2011-07-11, 09:44 AM

This is what I was thinking as well.

turkishvan2
2011-07-11, 11:23 AM
Fairly stressful, yeah.

ghost_warlock
2011-07-11, 11:33 AM
I'll just drop this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6flB0XvmTo) off here then.

As for me, I don't much like swimming with the fishes, see. I don't particularly care for heights. Otherwise, eh.

re: Slenderman. I've never been afraid of Slendy. I might be just a bit too close to the source material.

Admiral Squish
2011-07-11, 10:21 PM
Anything with >4 legs. I mean, if I saw a six-legged dog, that probably wouldn't freak me out. I refer to crawly things. Spiders, flies, ants.... I PARTICULARLY hate the feeling of said crawly things when they're ON ME.

Especially bees! I got in MASSIVE trouble once because a bee landed on me while I was in formation and it was 20 feet of me shouting and flailing before I managed to stop myself.

Lappy9000
2011-07-11, 10:26 PM
Oh, irrational childhood fears
http://www.backtotheeighties.net/images/alf21.jpgAlso, I have some minor claustrophobia, perhaps caused from the fact that I'm especially twitchy and don't fit well into confined spaces. Strange how I've outgrown my fears of death, but still get tingles whenever I foolishly Google search "Alf"

Rising Phoenix
2011-07-11, 11:33 PM
I've got quite a list.
Old age
Death
Parasites
Insanity
Tight spaces
Low ceilings
High ceilings
Horses
Geese
Immortality
Jump scares

I will never understand why people are scared of birds. They really can't damage you unless you're being a douche around them (like photographing an owl's nest...)

Did you, as a child, walk near a family of geese and they chased you?

Serpentine
2011-07-12, 12:23 AM
Swans, from reputation, can break your arm... And Australian magpies regularly draw blood.

KingOfLaughter
2011-07-12, 12:38 AM
Small spiders (only small ones cause they're see through) large ones (tree spiders, tarantulas) no problem I actually like big ones.

Also small sidewalks at night, I always expect tog et mugged.

Fianlly heights where the fall won't kill me, but I won;t go unjured.

Claudius Maximus
2011-07-12, 12:53 AM
Being alone in incredibly open places is kind of creepy. Especially when they're dark. Just the idea that there could be anything out there. Deep water bothers me for the same reason, though not if I can see through it (sadly not the case in NJ's bits of the Atlantic).

Also, bees and wasps. I'm not all that afraid of pain but the idea of this awful thing putting its stinger in me is just horrible. I had the misfortune of sharing my childhood property with ~200 industrial shipping containers, every single one of which was absolutely infested with angry wasps.

Rising Phoenix
2011-07-12, 01:21 AM
Swans, from reputation, can break your arm... And Australian magpies regularly draw blood.

Having been attacked my both (and many more bird species) I can say that I found it more of an amusing experience... But then I love birds, grew up with them and know how to 'read' their behavior and handle them.

Mono Vertigo
2011-07-12, 05:14 AM
I know someone who's in her 60's and very afraid of birds. It all boils down to her father throwing a dead pigeon at her when she was a kid, really.
And that fear still makes a lot more sense than my arachnophobia. Nobody ever threw dead or living spiders at me. :smallconfused:

Pink
2011-07-12, 09:28 AM
As far as insects and animals go, in general, the bigger they are, the higher the scare factor. I'm quite alright with insects and small things in general, I actually quite like spiders and always allow them to make webs in the corners of my room, I like to think it helps lower the mosquito population. Now if its something obviously dangerous I'll give it respect, but it won't really worry me.
But when something gets to be the size that it could rip out parts of my flesh, I get worried. Mostly its large or even medium sized dogs. Unless they're extremely docile or well behaved, I'll get nervous around them, because I'd be hard pressed to fend one off or run away if it attacked. Not to mention there have been a few times when I've reached out to pet a dog only to nearly get my hand ripped off. Small dogs I'm perfectly fine with because I know that I could always punt one or that it would do very little damage to me.

turkishvan2
2011-07-12, 11:07 AM
I will never understand why people are scared of birds. They really can't damage you unless you're being a douche around them (like photographing an owl's nest...)

Did you, as a child, walk near a family of geese and they chased you?
Yup, that's what happened. I don't hate geese for that, I just prefer not to be around them.

Dvandemon
2011-07-12, 03:28 PM
Ooh! Anyone mention The SCP Foundation yet? Some things on there are really good.

Whatever you do don't compare it to Warehouse 13, trust me

Pokonic
2011-07-12, 05:40 PM
Ah yes, the The SCP Foundation. Lets face it, SCP-137 is the worst one scare facter wise. Its like a Weeping Angel, but even more nightmare inducing.

sparkyinbozo
2011-07-12, 11:18 PM
I have to give +1 to Slenderman and sprouted potatoes...those things are creepy.

Kibble Sage
2011-07-12, 11:53 PM
My real "nightmare fuel"? Having someone close to me diagnosed with cancer. Happened once, afraid of it happening again.

Naturally, I can occasionally get spooked by things -- usually a particularly intense glint in someone's eye when they glance at me, requiring a certain type of person and certain circumstances, of course. I fully recognize that other humans are the most dangerous creatures on Earth, even if the vast majority of them are totally harmless.

But it's the idea of slow, cancerous, inevitable death lurking unseen inside someone who means a lot to me that really gives me the willies.

Dvandemon
2011-07-13, 10:14 AM
What freaks me out is disfigurements. I know it's not right but, whenever I see someone with burns, a hairlip or even Down Syndrome I get very disturbed. Two examples would be a kids with underdeveloped arms and a kid with a twisted face.
Ah yes, the The SCP Foundation. Lets face it, SCP-173 is the worst one scare facter wise. Its like a Weeping Angel, but even more nightmare inducing.

2 fun facts:
1) 682 is very afraid of it
2) In a story where it kept multiplying they teamed up and ripped it apart. Permanently.

Pokonic
2011-07-14, 12:04 PM
1) 682 is very afraid of it
2) In a story where it kept multiplying they teamed up and ripped it apart. Permanently.
Ah yes, 682,everyones faverate unstopable croc-like lifeform. I think I have seen a post on 4chan that 682 is not only real, but is lurking in Burundi, and that humans who know of it call it Gustave. Arg,it almost makes sense!:smalleek: