PDA

View Full Version : Ogre Mage Gestalt Build

Pork Supreme
2011-07-06, 05:58 PM
So, I will very soon (maybe...) be starting a gestalt campaign. No real restrictions on race/template that I know of, with the caveat that racial HD and LA will fill up both sides of the character until exhausted. That in mind, I set about one day to create a character that would be nearly unkillable, and came up with the following:

Half-dragon (Red/brass/gold) Ogre Mage

5 racial HD
+10 LA (7 for Ogre Mage, 3 for Half-Dragon)

Stat Adjusts:
+18 Str, +8 Con, +6 Int, +4 Wis, +8 Cha

Level Advancement:

5 RHD / 2 LA / 13 Warblade // 8 LA / 1 druid / 10 elemental savant / 1 XX

Taking the Earth/Acid path of the savant leads to the following at 20th level:
HD: 5d10 + 13d12 (giant d8s go up a die size from half-dragon)
Regen 5 (fire/acid)
+16 BAB
Ex fly 80' (average) from half-dragon, Su fly 40 (good) from ogre mage
Ex earth glide from savant
Ex immunity to fire (half-dragon) and acid (savant), making all damage subdual damage thanks to regen
Immunity to sleep/poison/crits/stunning/flanking/paralysis
No need to eat/sleep/breathe
Level 8 martial powers
Level 5 druid spells
Room for one level of something...I was thinking pious templar for mettle possibly, but thats mainly for giggles and the feats probably don't fit
Plus some other random stuff like at will invis and Natural Armor...

The one thing I was thinking was that it would be awesome if I could work out a way to get one of the immunities (acid or fire) from a PRC other than elemental savant so the character could spend his life in an antimagic field to get around those pesky things that just flat out kill you. I know I could do that anyway...but it feels like a waste of the 11 levels put into elemental savant.

Oh...and in case you're wondering about qualifying for savant, ogre mage gets cone of cold and using the spell compendium you can find two other level 0/1 druid spells with the cold descriptor. 5 levels in giant get you 2 feats and the ability to push skills up to rank 8, so you should be covered there.

Main points of the build are BAB 16 and immunity to fire/acid. If you've got another way to get to that let me know.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-07-07, 12:39 AM
Take the Half-Dragon Racial Class (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030912a), which you can take at whatever character level you want (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a) so they're not stuck at your first few levels. That means you won't have any LA//LA levels, so you'll have a two point leeway for +16 BAB. Use fractional BAB from UA page 73, so if you go Giant 5 and then take three levels of a 3/4 BAB class, you'll get +6 BAB, as though you had eight levels of a single 3/4 BAB class. That's yet more leeway for gaining that +16 BAB at 20th.

Use an evil half-dragon variety, and take Talon of Tiamat from the Draconomicon. At the 6th level you gain a permanent extraordinary immunity to your choice of acid, cold, electricity, or fire. Talon of Tiamat also happens to give 5/10 spellcasting advancement, some 1/day breath attacks, frightful presence, and some rather large bonuses to social skills. Overall it's not particularly strong in any area, but it adds quite a few benefits that should come in handy.

I'd go with something like the following:
0. Class//Class (BAB) etc.
1. Giant 1// LA 1 (0.75)
2. Giant 2// LA 2 (1.5)
3. Giant 3// LA 3 (2.25)
4. Giant 4// LA 4 (3.0)
5. Giant 5// LA 5 (3.75)
6. Cleric 1// LA 6 (4.5)
7. Cleric 2// LA 7 (5.25)
8. Talon of Tiamat 1// Cleric 3 (6.0)
9. Talon of Tiamat 2// Half-Dragon 1 (6.75)
10. Talon of Tiamat 3// Cleric 4 (7.5)
11. Talon of Tiamat 4// Half-Dragon 2 (8.25)
12. Talon of Tiamat 5// Cleric 5 (9.0)
13. Talon of Tiamat 6// Half-Dragon 3 (9.75) dual-immunity all at once!
14. Talon of Tiamat 7// Cleric 6 (10.5)
15. Talon of Tiamat 8// Warblade 1 (11.5) initiator level 11*
16. Talon of Tiamat 9// Cleric 7 (12.25)
17. Talon of Tiamat 10// Warblade 2 (13.25) initiator level 13*
18. Cleric 8// Warblade 3 (14.25) initiator level 14*
19. Cleric 9// Warblade 4 (15.25) initiator level 15*
20. Cleric 10// Warblade 5 (16.25) initiator level 16*
*As per ToB page 39: "In most cases, you add the full prestige class level to your martial adept level to determine your initiator level." Thus you get +3.5 initiator level from Giant 5/ Cleric 2 (rounded down), and add Talon of Tiamat 1-7 and 9 to your Warblade 1-5 to get your total initiator level.

The Frightful Presence is actually quite useful considering your high Cha, and you'll get 8th level Cleric spells and maneuvers of up to 8th level with stances of 6th and 8th level. Reach Spell + DMM: Persist + Death Ward and Sheltered Vitality is highly recommended, since negative levels and ability damage/drain would still go through your regeneration and disable/kill your character.

Mention to your DM that you were going to use Frenzied Berserker, but decided on this when you realized that Deathless Frenzy doesn't actually work; the nonlethal damage you suffer for being in a frenzy would knock the character unconscious at 0 or lower HP anyway. See if he'll make a ruling about Diehard allowing consciousness and normal actions despite nonlethal damage, and then take Diehard on this character so that not even nonlethal damage can knock him out. (However that will not prevent nonlethal damage from knocking you out for bringing this to an actual game!)