PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Character creation help.

cardboardbox!
2011-07-06, 08:13 PM
Good day fellow playgrounders!

I just joined a Pathfinder campaign that will be starting in the next couple of weeks. And we just rolled stats/getting background together, now I rolled 3 sets and my best set came out to:

I was curious on what builds this would be viable, So far the party makeup is a Ranger and Sorc, I haven't picked out a class because honestly this is the lowest I've rolled for stats and I'm quite stumped at what would actually work. So I came here for some help.

Jude_H
2011-07-06, 08:21 PM
So far the party makeup is a Ranger and Sorc, I haven't picked out a class because honestly this is the lowest I've rolled for stats and I'm quite stumped at what would actually work. So I came here for some help.Seriously? That's 37 point buy.

Anyway, you should clearly play a vivisectionist alchemist. Because they're nifty.

Drothmal
2011-07-06, 08:42 PM
I agree that it is a fairly good roll, but everything's relative

with two 16s, your best option would be a non-melee class (in my opinion). Cleric could go well (WIS and CON)

another option that is being commented quite a bit lately is to make a synthesist summoner, put your low stats in the physical and get them replaced by the eidolon's

anyways, it depends if you want to be a caster or a melee. Caster is easier to optimize with 2 good scores, but other options are possible

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-06, 08:45 PM
I agree with Drothmal. A dwarf cleric could be a fun option to play as, and with their Wis boost, you'd start out with an 18 in your casting stat.

subject42
2011-07-06, 09:09 PM
Those stats are phenomenal. Have you looked at psionics as an option? You could make a beast of a psychic warrior (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/psychic-warrior) or Wilder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/wilder) using those stats.

CTrees
2011-07-06, 09:14 PM
Given the current ranger and sorceror, I'm inclined to vote cleric. However, with a minimum of twelve for your stats (fyi, average in 4d6b3 is ~12.5, give or take)? If it were me, I'd try a Magus. Second vote would be a Bard, followed by skill monkey rogue.

More importantly, what do you want to play? You can make almost anything work with that set of stats.

Lady Serpentine
2011-07-06, 09:17 PM
A Summoner sounds like a good bet, but so does everything else. What do you want to play?

cardboardbox!
2011-07-06, 09:21 PM
Honestly I was interested in the Warblade class from Bo9S, But thats pending approval. Other than that I was thinking of some sort of martial artist type class, or maybe the factotum, honestly I can have fun playing pretty much any class, It's just like I said this is the lowest stat block I've ever rolled :P so its like "huh?" for me in terms of class building, its like an engineer getting lower grade materials than he's used to working with.

acid_ninja
2011-07-06, 09:35 PM
You do realize that this is pathfinder not 3.5. Seriously, those stats are just fine. What do you want, straight 18s? Then you could definitely build a multiclass mary sue/game breaker.

cardboardbox!
2011-07-06, 09:41 PM
You do realize that this is pathfinder not 3.5. Seriously, those stats are just fine. What do you want, straight 18s? Then you could definitely build a multiclass mary sue/game breaker.

My apologies, I should have mentioned that this is my first time playing pathfinder, everything else was 3.5 and even then the entire party had pretty high scores.

kardar233
2011-07-06, 09:58 PM
Honestly I was interested in the Warblade class from Bo9S, But thats pending approval. Other than that I was thinking of some sort of martial artist type class, or maybe the factotum, honestly I can have fun playing pretty much any class, It's just like I said this is the lowest stat block I've ever rolled :P so its like "huh?" for me in terms of class building, its like an engineer getting lower grade materials than he's used to working with.

You could definitely go for a Warblade with those stats. Drop the 16s in Strength and Intelligence and go for a race with some good stat mods, like a Lesser Earth Genasi, or something Dragonborn. Wis and Cha are dump stats for Warblades, so any penalties there don't really matter.

Check the Warblade Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193992) for some other details.

subject42
2011-07-06, 09:59 PM
Alternately, you could do a Sorcerer 1/Barbarian 4/Dragon Disciple X. With 3 natural attacks per round, ability score boosts, partial casting, and other features, you get pretty good at smashing faces.

DraconicPaladin
2011-07-06, 10:05 PM
Pathfinder is much more forgiving stat wise, though with those stats I'd probably go Summoner, I like having a balanced 16 con/dex and cha (bearing racial bonuses) then 13 to con/dex and the rest is obvious.

I'd go Human (gnome can work too) or Half-Elf for the favored class bonuses and focus on buffing in battle and maybe get a bow if you go half-elf with the Ancestral Arms racial trait alternative.

Just a suggestion no optimization at all.

Kenneth
2011-07-06, 10:24 PM
My apologies, I should have mentioned that this is my first time playing pathfinder, everything else was 3.5 and even then the entire party had pretty high scores.

WHAT!!?!?!?!?!

you do relaize that the difference between 3.5 and pathfinder is hardly noticeable right. really eh CMB and CND is the only thing (for me at least) that is different

your stats were good even in 3.5... did you guys play with like all 18s or something, to get the jaded view that 216s 3 12s and a 13 was a terrible roll? id kill ( not really) to get rolls like that for my characters.

truth of the matter is with you stats you can be anything in the game. with a 16, you can ( if the game gets that high level) get up to around a 28 in a stat. I am going to alos toss my vote in for cleric. don't really matter your race with the stats you have, but I guess a dwarf would make your insane stats even more OTT ( over the top).

Drelua
2011-07-06, 11:03 PM
A cleric wouldn't be too bad, but a dwarf would be a bad idea. The 10 or 11 charisma would make your Channel Energy nearly useless offensively.

Larpus
2011-07-07, 11:22 AM
The OP's stats are totally fine, I think that his perception is that he's sort of "mediocre all over the board" instead of "really good at 2-3 stats and bad at the others" which is a justifiable mindset: he has no 18 and for pretty much anything he plays, chances are he will wish that one of his 12s was an 8 instead and that the 13 was a 14. Bottom line, I can see why you think those aren't ideal, but they're far from bad.

Anyway, as others have mentioned, you can do pretty much anything you like, you have 2 good stats, one almost nice and 3 decent, I'm assuming that's before racials, so depending on what you do there can be some adjusting.

Still, depending on the party and campaign these stats can pass as a bit sub-optimal for a melee build and given the party set-up so far I guess you guys will need one, so if you think that is the case, my vote goes for either a Summoner, a Mr.Hyde Alchemist or a Magus (though Magus looks closer to a glass cannon than to a bruiser, but I could be wrong) if you want something new.

If not, Cleric and Druid are still some very solid choices, and so is Wizard.

If you want melee powah, I'd take a look in Paladins, they look real nice now and Barbarians are still golden, but you need to talk to your DM about how the extra HP works, 'cus by RAW an unconscious Barb is a dead Barb. Fighter seems interesting, since they're more than just a pile of feats now, though I'can't really say if they're good enough now or nay.

subject42
2011-07-07, 11:25 AM
'cus by RAW an unconscious Barb is a dead Barb.

The APG patched that with the Raging Vitality (http://www.pathfindersrd.com/feats/general-feats/raging-vitality) Feat. It lets you keep raging while unconscious.

Larpus
2011-07-07, 11:31 AM
The APG patched that with the Raging Vitality (http://www.pathfindersrd.com/feats/general-feats/raging-vitality) Feat. It lets you keep raging while unconscious.
I know, but I still feel like it's just a lousy effort, I'd still talk to my DM to have the extra HP be consumed first so there's no need to spend a feat on that.

It's just my opinion, really, but I think that spending a feat on something that seems like a poor design choice or overlook is kinda meh, especially on a class that is rather feat-hungry already, which is why I'd check with the DM if that sounds viable or not before spending the feat.

Drelua
2011-07-07, 11:52 AM
Fighter seems interesting, since they're more than just a pile of feats now, though I'can't really say if they're good enough now or nay.

I play Pathfinder, and I really like what they did with the fighter. Armor training makes it so that high DEX can apply even in full-plate, and combining weapon training with the weapon focus feat tree can be devastating. I recommend the deadly stroke feat, if you're high enough level - there's few things more satisfying than a charging critical deadly stroke power attack. Fights never lasted very long after I pulled that off.

Curious
2011-07-07, 01:09 PM

Interestingly enough, I have rolled all 18's. I played a Paladin. It rocked. :smallbiggrin:

Alefiend
2011-07-07, 01:37 PM
A cleric wouldn't be too bad, but a dwarf would be a bad idea. The 10 or 11 charisma would make your Channel Energy nearly useless offensively.

Where does the assumption that a low score will go to CHA come from? There's no reason the stats presented have to be in that order, otherwise they wouldn't be discussing such broad class choices.

Drelua
2011-07-07, 01:54 PM
Where does the assumption that a low score will go to CHA come from? There's no reason the stats presented have to be in that order, otherwise they wouldn't be discussing such broad class choices.

My mistake. Its just that everyone was saying that the 16s should go to WIS and CON, and that a dwarf would be good. I overlooked the possibility of 18 CON, 15 WIS and 14 CHA, which could work.

Bovine Colonel
2011-07-07, 06:14 PM
You could maybe go for a Paladin, Magus, or other 2-primary-stat class?

Drothmal
2011-07-07, 07:48 PM
Actually, I kind of disagree with the choices of magus and paladin, since puting one of the 16s in the casting stat takes away from the ability to do good melee

Paladin will need to sacrifice (maybe too strong of a word) STR, CON or CHA
Magus will need to sacrifice STR/DEX (depending if it is a finesse build or not) CON or INT. That said, I'm playing a Magus right now that I made with a 20 PB and it's a lot of fun, but it's a bit sub par with respect to other builds that are more SAD

I'd advice to go either pure melee (Barbarian or fighter) or pure caster (at first I mentioned cleric because it was far from the ranger and the sorcerer filling the ranged and blaster types, but you can go wizard). The summoner kind of gives you both, but it might not be what you had in mind

If you want to go melee, I agree that fighter might be a nice choice (get a heavier armor and 12 to DEX and you are golden for a while) or a barbarian

Paul H
2011-07-10, 06:42 PM
Hi

You could play a Human Summoner (Synthesist) Archetype.

Str 12 (14 with Human stat bonus)
Dex 13
Con 16
Int 12
Wis 12
Cha 16

Then just substitute your physical stas with those of your Eidolon's base form.

Sure, your Con is nerfed initially, but that chenges with your Evolution points to spend.

Summoner is in APG. Synthesist is in Ult Magic.

Thanks
Paul H

Lord Bingo
2011-07-10, 06:51 PM
with a Ranger and a Sorc you guys are going to need a rogue and a healer. Pick one:smallwink: IMO your stats would make an excellent rogue.