PDA

View Full Version : Help me flesh out this character concept pl0x

SlashRunner
2011-07-06, 08:56 PM
So, my group seems to have a love of evil campaigns, so I decided that I would build a character for the next campaign we run (where I won't be DMing). So, they're all evil, I'll be evil. However, whereas they will all be your run-of-the-mill evil people, I have a different plan. I will make an evil character so undeniably evil, they will all look like the living incarnations of rainbows and sunshine. Basically, I will turn the evil up to eleven. Here's the concept: an Aasimar (Ex)paladin being possessed by not one, not two, but THREE DIFFERENT FIENDS! You heard me right, folks! Three incarnations of pure evil! More specifically, a Demon, a Daemon (or Yugoloth, whatever, I prefer the old name), and a Devil. All three will have different personalities, and every day, he rolls a d3 to determine which one will be in control for the day. Essentially, three different shades of pure, implacable evil rolled into one. So, without further ado, I present to thee our three main characters:

An'rath, the Demon. He's your stereotypical Demon who cares for nothing but spreading blood and gore. He keeps the severed heads of all those he defeats in a bag of holding (preferably under the effects of Gentle Repose) and is the epitome of the (to quote the DMG (Or was it DMGII?)) "kick-in-the-door" style of adventuring. If a solution does not immediately present itself to him, he smashes it with his axe/sword. Mechanically, he charges into battle and power attacks constantly, like your classic charger.

Iphrexus, the Daemon (or Yugoloth, but I like the old name better). He's a greedy bastard who figures that, if he's stuck in this stupid mortal body, he might as well make the best of it. He frequently puts improving his standard of living and his survival before anything else, and is fine with doing anything to achieve his goals. He loves to exploit others to get money. Mechanically, he'll be a dirty fighter, willing to backstab others, use low methods like poison, and hit people while they're down.

??? (I can't think of a good name) the Devil. He constantly schemes to rule the multiverse and build an empire the likes of which has never been seen, but his plans are constantly ruined by the other two. Much more "well-behaved" than the Demon and Daemon, as he is far more subtle and does not visibly pursue his plans until everything comes into place. Mechanically, I see him more of a guy who relies on deception to bypass fighting in the first place. However, when he does get in a fight, he relies more on buffing his allies and maneuvering them into position instead of doing it himself.

So, we have an ubercharger-type character, a sneaky, dirty fighter, and a party-oriented buffer that still does well in melee. All three are pretty well explored archetypes. The problem is in trying to be reasonably good at all three at the same time.

Blackguard is an obvious choice, as it fits the flavour very well and provides both respectable, straightforward melee combat (the Demon) and dirty combat (the Daemon). Then you could do a bit of Crusader for White Raven and other useful stuffs and you're covered pretty well. Perhaps a Cleric dip for various abilities, etc... Also, the game will likely be starting at level six.

Lady Serpentine
2011-07-06, 09:01 PM
My thought would be to make three characters, and assign each one to a personality.

Would that work?

SlashRunner
2011-07-06, 09:17 PM
I hadn't thought of that. I suppose that would work, considering that none of the abilities that I had in mind really require anything but knowing how to perform them. Yeah, that's actually a good idea.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know if it's possible to bind the body and soul of an outsider into an object? Also, does an intelligent magic item cost more than a normal magic item? Because I had a pretty good idea involving the character's Solar grandpappy and a specific sword, as well as a good dose of vengeance.

SlashRunner
2011-07-06, 09:44 PM
OK, so we have what's essentially a tripper fused with a Rogue-type, an Ubercharger (I am aware that the word refers to a specific build involving horses and lances, but I think that the term encapsulates the concept of a charger pretty well in general, so I'll use it anyways), and probably a Crusader or Marshal (the game itself is pretty low-op, so I could get away with using a suboptimal class). All three will have to have 1 level of Ex-Paladin and 1 level of Aasimar. That leaves us with 18 levels worth of goodies to work with.
Preferably, I'd like all three builds to work in Blackguard somehow, or at least something strongly evil-aligned (also, our group has houseruled that Smite Evil/Good are on a per-encounter rather than a per-day basis, which makes Paladin/Blackguard a slightly more attractive option).

An'Rath will be something like Ex-Paladin 1/Aasimar 1/Whirling Frenzy Lion Spirit Totem Barbarian 1/Blackguard 2/Fighter 1 (It's dip-a-licious!) to start with. He'll probably continue on to get the standard Power Attack+Shock Trooper+Leap Attack build. Perhaps 6 levels of Fighter for Dungeoncrasher and some Frenzied Berzerker action would be good.

I'm sort of stumped on Iphrexus, as I don't tend to build characters like him too often. I want him to fight dirty (Trip, Bull Rush, Disarm, Sunder, Sneak Attack) but not all-out rogue. Could someone give me some ideas to set me on my way?

As for ??? (Maybe that will actually be his name! He could be ultra-paranoid and never tell anyone his name.), I'm thinking something like Ex-Paladin 1/Aasimar 1/Blackguard 2/Crusader 2 to start, going on to a whole lot more crusading. Crusader focused on White Raven and a bit of Devoted Spirit going on too. Perhaps a bit of Marshal would provide some good synergy with Blackguard. Or perhaps we can cut out one level of Blackguard to allow 9th level maneuvers for our Crusader friend.

Midnight_v
2011-07-06, 09:55 PM
Hmm... reminds me of something I read. Stick figure wizard, possed by 3 evils of different types.

Lady Serpentine
2011-07-06, 09:55 PM
If you need a name, I can make one up. I do think that the idea of him never telling anyone sounds interesting though.

SlashRunner
2011-07-06, 09:57 PM
If you need a name, I can make one up. I do think that the idea of him never telling anyone sounds interesting though.

I would very much appreciate that. Also, if you have any suggestions for naming the other two, I would be very much open to that. For them, I pretty much just pulled up a list of named Demons/Daemons and chose something that fits the general conventions. However, Devils aren't as easy.

Though, come to think of it, I do rather like the concept of him never revealing his name. I'll think about it.

SlashRunner
2011-07-06, 10:56 PM
OK, I'm running into a real block here, namely that all three "characters" will need to use the same physical ability scores.

Protecar
2011-07-07, 09:47 AM
OK, I'm running into a real block here, namely that all three "characters" will need to use the same physical ability scores.

What kind of point buy/stat rolling are you looking at? It wouldn't be terrible to simply have mid-physical stats: It could be a crunch representation of the conflict between the personas. I.E. The kick-in-the-door's strength is limited by the amount of dexterity the backstabber enjoys, etc.

OracleofSilence
2011-07-07, 10:10 AM
hmm, its seems to me that you only really need strength and dex, but for the "dirty fighter" take a look at this
1st Swashbuckler +1 +2 +0 +0 Point Blank Shot, Far Shot, Two Weapon Fighting, Weapon Finesse Boring
2nd Swashbuckler +2 +3 +0 +0 -- Grace +1 Boring
3rd Swashbuckler +3 +4 +1 +1 Weapon Focus Kukri Insightful Strike Boring
4th Swashbuckler +4 +4 +1 +1 -- -- Boring
5th Swashbuckler +5 +5 +2 +2 -- Dodge Bonus +1 -> Boring
6th Invisible Blade +6/1 +5 +4 +3 Improved Two Weapon Fighting Sneak Attack +1d6, Unfetteredd Defense Boring
7th Invisible Blade +7/2 +5 +4 +3 -- Bleeding Wound Boring
8th Invisible Blade +8/3 +6 +4 +3 -- Sneak Attack +2d6 Uncanny Feint(Move Action) Boring
9th Invisible Blade +9/4 +6 +5 +3 Daring Outlaw Feint Mastery, Sneak Attack +5d6 Holy crap, you did 1d4+str+int+5d6 4 times against a flat-footed creature!?
10th Invisible Blade +10/5 +6 +5 +3 -- Sneak Attack +6d6, Uncanny Feint (Free Action) Holy crap, you did 1d4+str+int+6d6 4 times against a creature that wasn't flat-footed!?

i know you wer going for a less rogue feel, but this wiuld be a good backup, and swashbucklers can make good dirty fighters...

ps, this build does not technically work unless you take a level of rogue in their somewhere. (and all credit goes to dnd wiki)

Lady Serpentine
2011-07-07, 04:40 PM
Okay, some names. If these aren't what you're looking for, let me know. They're just stuff I made up that sounded good.

Demon: Gaar'Koth, Kamnar, Gorlisk, Lurick, Arimnal.

Daemon/Yugoloth: Tarfexkos, Markath, Lirgaer, Ipthalos, Incatis, Darmaksos, Halriiksaem, Turikmel, Kathros.

Devil: Jiaermlor, Yarkuul, Gathriel, Iminkal, Tarmagriel, Garakuul.

Demon Suffixes: ar, isk, ick, al

Daemon/Yugoloth Suffixes: os, is, el, aem.

Devil Suffixes: or, uul, riel, kal