PDA

View Full Version : Music based campaign

Maximus:Ranger
2011-07-06, 09:58 PM
I was thinking of running a D&D campaign with music genres as a world element (I suppose if it had to be compared it to anything I would compare it to Brütal Legend) everyone would have at least one level in bard and deities would be based off of musicians and weapons would also be instruments. Deities I have so far are the four (The Beatles) the moon dwellers (Pink Floyd) the string master (Jimi Hendrix) Prince of Darkness (Ozzy Osbourne) the Lizard King (Jim Morrison) etc. Guitars that are also axes, basses that can be used as bows microphones that have flails attached to them etc. Magic weapons I have so far Voodoo child a bass that can charm/hypnotize enemies, Hell Scorcher flying V guitar can light foes ablaze with tasty licks and when playing solos you can fly on a giant flaming outline of the guitar, the summoning stand a mic stand that when combined with the music of other instruments summons powerful beings say if battery by metallic is played then a great stone amp surrounded and supported by electricity and if you play painkiller by judas priest then the robot dude from the cover rides down from the cosmos. Any ideas for me I'm still unsure about enemies how to incorporate different genres and balance in so any advice would be much appreciated:smallsmile:

zyborg
2011-07-06, 10:01 PM
This sounds awesome. If you ever get to recruiting here, I call dibs on first slot. I'd be a Warforged. Yay, Heavy Metal! Also, I'm thinking of some ideas right now, I'll get back to you on them ASAP.

2011-07-06, 10:16 PM
Oh man Zyborg I'm sorry I run a AD&D/homebrew style of game and I only allow human elf dwarf halfling half elf gnome and halforc. It's just my thing sorry:smallfrown:

Jallorn
2011-07-06, 10:19 PM
I'd advise just giving everyone gestalt and one side has to be Bard.

2011-07-06, 10:24 PM
I'd advise just giving everyone gestalt and one side has to be Bard.

Forgive my ignorance but what is gestalt?:smallconfused:

Deth Muncher
2011-07-06, 10:27 PM
Pity you say you do AD&D and not 3.5, since there's always this (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19523298/The_Disciple_of_Metal_PrC_Bard) prestige class.

Science Officer
2011-07-06, 10:29 PM
Makes me think of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCxGgvZCNI8).
As well as several scenes from the Scott Pilgrim movie.

So, in this campaign do you fight using music, or do you fight normally but music based magic is heavily emphasised?

Gestalt (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/UA:Gestalt_Characters).
although I predict I will be ninjaed.

2011-07-06, 10:53 PM
Well if I allow players to gestalt then they'll have to be high level and that mean tough enemies I'll need to base monsters off of classic or just plain awesome album covers like the mob could be a murderous cult based off of the black sabbath album the mob rules

Also science officer I was going to make it so that music is magic and that's how you cast spells either through singing or playing a certain musical piece.