PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Malware Warning

Chambers
2011-07-06, 10:05 PM
Just a note to people that when I opened this thread: [3.5] Low-level Gestalt interest check (Players and GM needed - GM found!) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203650), I got a Red Screen warning from Chrome. Here's the text of the red screen:

Warning: Something's Not Right Here!

www.giantitp.com contains content from noctalis.com, a site known to distribute malware. Your computer might catch a virus if you visit this site.

Google has found malicious software may be installed onto your computer if you proceed. If you've visited this site in the past or you trust this site, it's possible that it has just recently been compromised by a hacker. You should not proceed, and perhaps try again tomorrow or go somewhere else.

We have already notified noctalis.com that we found malware on the site. For more about the problems found on noctalis.com, visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page.

Mando Knight
2011-07-06, 10:26 PM
Did a check for you, a gif used as herrhauptmann (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=27270)'s avatar pings as coming from noctalis. That may be causing the error message.

Rawhide
2011-07-07, 04:03 AM
This kind of thing is always an avatar, signature image or posted image, as Mando Knight has confirmed in this case. If you see the error again, you should look to those places first.

NineThePuma
2011-07-15, 10:58 PM
I was entering this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=207549) topic when my comp gave me a warning about content from a sight known to transmit malware. Ummm... *cough*

BillyBobJoe
2011-07-15, 11:01 PM
Don't worry, that's just herrhauptmann's avatar. It was already noticed by Chambers and Mando Knight in another thread on here.

NineThePuma
2011-07-15, 11:04 PM
... That's... ODD. He change his avatar in the last few days or something? Normally it doesn't do anything like that. Well, now that I know it's (semi-)safe, I'll go back to reading.

EDIT: Nope, same avatar as before. Anyone talked to him about it?

BladeofOblivion
2011-07-15, 11:57 PM
... That's... ODD. He change his avatar in the last few days or something? Normally it doesn't do anything like that. Well, now that I know it's (semi-)safe, I'll go back to reading.

According to Google's Safebrowsing Database, Noctalis.com seems to have assaulted by malware relatively recently. This is probably what caused the site to be blacklisted somewhat.

TheRinni
2011-07-16, 08:12 AM
Every time I try to go into this thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207549 a Google Chrome warning page pops up.

Maleware Detected!
www.giantitp.com contains content from noctalis.com, a site known to distribute malware. Your computer might catch a virus if you visit this site. Google has found malicious software may be installed onto your computer if you proceed.
Is this abnormal?

Zherog
2011-07-16, 11:17 AM
See the info above your post. Looks like a mod was kind enough to merge your thread into this other recent thread on the same topic.

JoshuaZ
2011-07-17, 07:02 PM
Sometimes when clicking on a link here, Google Chrome displays a warning that the page may contain content from "noctalis.com" which it says may contain malware.

Edit: It seems to be showing up in particular everytime I click on this thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207687&page=2

Zherog
2011-07-17, 08:24 PM
As with my reply to TheRinni, it appears the mods were kind enough to merge your thread into the already-existing on the first page thread about this topic. See the earlier posts for an explanation as to why.

herrhauptmann
2011-07-17, 10:35 PM

Been told about it (twice), changed my avatar to a normal GITP one.
That's odd though. I've had the same avatar for months, I don't know why it would suddenly start causing problems.

Zherog
2011-07-17, 10:41 PM
That's odd though. I've had the same avatar for months, I don't know why it would suddenly start causing problems.

According to a post a bit further back (by BladeofOblivion), the site was recently hit with an issue. That would explain why it was fine all along and suddenly causes issues.

BladeofOblivion
2011-07-18, 12:06 AM
According to a post a bit further back (by BladeofOblivion), the site was recently hit with an issue. That would explain why it was fine all along and suddenly causes issues.

Do know that I do not know this for sure; I merely drew conclusions from the Data offered by Google's Safebrowsing minisite.

Based on the statistics there, it seems to have been a spike in malware activity, probably due to hacking. The problem does not seem to have been quite remedied yet, though the number of reported attacks in the testing period has fallen from 7 to 2.