PDA

View Full Version : CrewITP?

mootoall
2011-07-06, 11:35 PM
Hey all, I was doing crew practice earlier today, and I started to wonder whether or not any of the Playgrounders happened to participate in this fantastic sport. Or ever wanted to. Or thought about it. Or saw a regatta once they think. Or that one scene in The Social Network. Or something.

OverdrivePrime
2011-07-09, 02:09 PM
My wife was a high-level rower in college, and has kept up since, taking a leading role in the Milwaukee Rowing Club women's program. She even got me into it last year. It's very relaxing and excellent exercise. I don't get out on the water much, but I very much enjoy sculling when I have the opportunity.

Xyk
2011-07-09, 02:11 PM
I watched The Social Network. It caused me to think that people who row crew are probably enormous tools. All of them.

mootoall
2011-07-09, 02:58 PM
My wife was a high-level rower in college, and has kept up since, taking a leading role in the Milwaukee Rowing Club women's program. She even got me into it last year. It's very relaxing and excellent exercise. I don't get out on the water much, but I very much enjoy sculling when I have the opportunity.

It's gladdening to see other people who are into the sport! It really is fantastic exercise. I'm glad I got into it so early.

I watched The Social Network. It caused me to think that people who row crew are probably enormous tools. All of them.

Well, for various definitions of "enormous tool" ...

Flickerdart
2011-07-09, 03:07 PM
Well, for various definitions of "enormous tool" ...If you know what I mean, wink wink nudge nudge? :smalltongue:

mootoall
2011-07-09, 03:13 PM
If you know what I mean, wink wink nudge nudge? :smalltongue:

Let me tell you, I started looking for the "like" button ...

Lonely Tylenol
2011-07-13, 12:27 AM

Well, for various definitions of "enormous tool" ...

If you know what I mean, wink wink nudge nudge? :smalltongue:

Let me tell you, I started looking for the "like" button ...

Aaaaaand we've come full circle.

Anyway, what's crew?

mootoall
2011-07-13, 06:56 AM
Crew is a rowing sport. The most ubiquitous form is where eight people are in one boat, called a shell, each has a ten(?)-ish foot long oar, and they row on alternating sides of the shell. The Harvard team is so fast they were able to tow a water skiier. It's very taxing, but very fun.

OverdrivePrime
2011-07-13, 02:45 PM
sculling is where you row with an oar on each side. It's often done solo, but can be done in pairs and quads as well.

mootoall
2011-07-13, 03:31 PM
Ah, right, and the style I described was Sweep.