PDA

View Full Version : Feats that can be acquired with gold rather than feat slots

Coidzor
2011-07-07, 01:37 AM
Has anyone gathered together and put together a listing of the feats that currently exist that can be acquired without, well, spending a feat, either like the Otyugh Hole's Iron Will or the Battle Bridle's Mounted Combat?

NecroRick
2011-07-07, 01:49 AM
There's some 'interesting' stuff out there.

A device which you can train against for a 10 foot step instead of a five foot step. - The whacky thing with it is that only one person in the party needs to buy it, and then all the others can train on it too. And when you're done with it you sell it to another adventuring party...

Rituals that will give you racial templates.

As for feats, there is Ritual of the Blot.

I suspect that if you want to break the 'feat economy' a good place to start is the rituals and keep digging.

A second way is to buy magic items that duplicate the effect of feats. For instance as a warlock rather than take precise shot and point blank shot (so you can actually hit stuff in melee combat), just buy the rod that lets you ignore the penalty. Ta da! Two free feat slots. Since you're a warlock, you'll be 'whacking your rod' (oh er) quite a lot anyway, so make sure you use the combining rules for crafting magic items to pump your rod even more.

For metamagic there are various metamagic rods for instance (chaining! they made a metamgic rod of chaining! OMG!!! Clutch of Orcus here I come!)

Coidzor
2011-07-07, 01:57 AM
A second way is to buy magic items that duplicate the effect of feats. For instance as a warlock rather than take precise shot and point blank shot (so you can actually hit stuff in melee combat), just buy the rod that lets you ignore the penalty. Ta da! Two free feat slots. Since you're a warlock, you'll be 'whacking your rod' (oh er) quite a lot anyway, so make sure you use the combining rules for crafting magic items to pump your rod even more.

There's a number of items that also just flat out grant the feat, and I remember seeing some collection of these sorts of things, but my google-fu is failing me in extracting it from the bowels of time and the internets.

Darth_Versity
2011-07-07, 02:00 AM
I know that the MiC has has the Battle Bridle and Riding Boots (or something like that) together they provide Mounted Combat and Ride by Attack as well as a competence bonus on ride checks.

Kefkafreak
2011-07-07, 02:07 AM
The mask of the tiger or whatever it's called in the MiC gives the Track feat.

Vizzerdrix
2011-07-07, 03:57 AM
I've seen one in a Dragon mag. Kind of worked like the mother Cyst feat, but with Far Relms related spells.

Person_Man
2011-07-07, 08:16 AM
Sounds like a good idea for a reference thread. Created (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11365725)!

Vladislav
2011-07-07, 09:11 AM
Lesser Crystal of Return (MiC) gives you Quick Draw, albeit only for a particular weapon, for 500 gp.

The mask of the tiger or whatever it's called in the MiC gives the Track feat.As does a 25 gp dog.

Coidzor
2011-07-08, 12:51 AM
Right now my main interests are if there's any way to pick up skill focus (perform in particular), negotiator, knowledge devotion, any archery feats, or any access to soulmelds.

I'm thinking I might dip Cloistered Cleric for Knowledge Devotion and I think I could get Point Blank Shot if I can tweak the elf domain, which would leave a single domain for whatever other purpose...

GoblinArchmage
2011-07-08, 01:00 AM
As for feats, there is Ritual of the Blot.

I've seen one in a Dragon mag. Kind of worked like the mother Cyst feat, but with Far Relms related spells.

That's what I was going to say. Anyway, it's in Dragon #330 if you want to know.

Coidzor
2011-07-08, 01:23 AM
That's what I was going to say. Anyway, it's in Dragon #330 if you want to know.

So Ritual of the Blot is in Dragon 330 and works sort of like the Mother Cyst feat only for far realms related spells?

peacenlove
2011-07-08, 02:42 AM
So Ritual of the Blot is in Dragon 330 and works sort of like the Mother Cyst feat only for far realms related spells?

You spend 1 permanent constitution point and a variable sum (up to 1400 gp) depending on if you want to adventure in a place heavily influenced by the Far Realms and reach its center or not. You get it as a bonus feat that way.

I think you gain 12 more known spells, which include an AoE disintegrate effect, some lame summons (the 2nd level is a good wall the others just plain suck), some GREAT fear effects, improved phantasmal killer, a good dazing power and dangerous teleportation effects both from you and for hostile targets.

Right now my main interests are if there's any way to pick up skill focus (perform in particular), negotiator, knowledge devotion, any archery feats, or any access to soulmelds.

I'm thinking I might dip Cloistered Cleric for Knowledge Devotion and I think I could get Point Blank Shot if I can tweak the elf domain, which would leave a single domain for whatever other purpose...

Check Complete scoundrel. You can gain various skill focuses and +2/+2 to a skill feats for 2000 or 3000 gp from magical locations.
Free devotion feats come only from trading domains. Contemplative (from Complete Divine) gives a bonus domain at 11 ECL lowest.

Coidzor
2011-07-08, 11:30 AM
Would an item which convey's a feat count as buying a feat?
IE-I once was the proud owner of a Sword that gave me Cleave, even though I met none of the pre-req's.

Yeah, I'm interested in anything along those lines. I know there's ways to get the mounted combat line using items only and I believe one can get ToB maneuvers with items...

mootoall
2011-07-08, 12:06 PM
Mobility is available as an armor enhancement. Edit: And TWF, ITWF if you have TWF already, is available through Gloves of the Balanced Hand.