PDA

View Full Version : I think Rich should have announced... something.

Xerxus
2011-07-07, 08:21 AM
Seeing as how this is the longest I can remember Rich going without a new comic or even posting anything, I must say I'm a bit worried. This is not an update-complaint, but rather it's the lack of info regarding what might be going on, if anything. Before you say chronic illness, I know.

Zerg Cookie
2011-07-07, 08:26 AM
Usually we get the answers when it's over.
Better just wait and respect the man's privacy.

Qaera
2011-07-07, 08:32 AM
He's providing us with a free comic. I think a little patience regarding his absence is in order. If it's a personal issue, we really don't need to know anything about it.

Respect.

Cizak
2011-07-07, 08:37 AM
Indeed. He puts his work up here for free, whenever he can. He's not under any sort of contract that requires him to do anything he doesn't want to do.

Wanderlust
2011-07-07, 09:36 AM
The web comic may be free, but Giant in the Playground and OoTS are a business, and as a consumer I choose to purchase the products (all of them, excluding Cafe Press, and some of those as well). If a business is closing shop due to the owner being ill, or maybe just for renovations, it's nice as a consumer to be notified when the business is going to be up and running again.

The comic is free, but we are all spending our time to come here day after day to read and share and anticipate the next books/products. I agree with the poster mainly because I don't believe that a month of silence to your consumer base is a responsible business decision.

I have friends and a sibling with severe crohn's disease, and although not life-threatening it can put them out of commission for days if not weeks (I'm not saying this is what Rich has, this is just an example). But they all have mobile devices and social media outputs. They can still communicate. If I suffered from something like this, I might put into place a representative to liaise with my consumer base while I'm unable to produce new material.

So if Rich ever reads this, I truly hope that he is well and I send all my best wishes for him feeling better and getting back on track. Heck, maybe he's just at a Con or something. Anyway, my ramblings above are from a desire for Rich's business to flourish and stay successful, so he can continue creating comics and we can continue buying them and supporting him. My issues are completely from a business standpoint, and I worry that weeks away like this will drive people away. And I know many of you will say good riddance, they aren't true fans, but remember these are potential consumers.

Looking forward to 795.

theinsulabot
2011-07-07, 09:54 AM
Oh dont worry, worst case scenario, he will show up around thanksgiving. health issues or not he is always pumping out updates quick enough when he is trying to stir up book sales.

Castamir
2011-07-07, 10:32 AM
It's like dealing crack: if the dope you're selling is of bad quality, junkies will go to another dealer with nary a word. But if you're the best in town, expect a bunch of druggies camping before your house.

And Rich's stuff is the best. You see, Howard Tayler, Tatsuya Ishida, Tarol Hunt and the Foglios can produce only so much, not enough to make up for no OOTS. Nate Piekos (great artwork, bad story) reduced his update schedule so much it almost doesn't count, and most of other webcomics are hardly worth the electrons they're printed on.

So yeah... being the junkies, we can't be expected to stop clamoring for more OOTS crack.

Johnny Blade
2011-07-07, 10:38 AM
:smallredface:: "No complaint or anything, but I'm a bit worried and would have appreciated some information."

:smallmad:: "THE COMIC IS FREE! THE GIANT DOESN'T OWE YOU!"

How to jump the gun in one easy step leap. :smalltongue:

Fact is, the chronic illness thing is general knowledge among the fanbase, and when there's a long time with neither new comics or other updates, it's fairly obvious that people will worry and want to know what's going on. I have no idea whatsoever how anyone could consider that problematic as long as people don't act like they are entitled to full disclosure of every little thing affecting the comic's production. Which nobody did here, people just said they think there should be more information than nothing (and phrased it totally unoffensively as well).

And, for the record, I agree. It's simply that people might be worried and are definitely waiting for 795. Just two or three sentences - which wouldn't even have to go into details, medical or otherwise - just to keep everyone informed would be appropriate after that amount of time in my opinion.

shazaka
2011-07-07, 10:40 AM
I have had to actively register instead of just lurking just so I can find out what the heck happened to my favorite webcomic. I have also ordered Dragon Tales, back when it was supposed to arrive in May. Did someone up-post say we could expect an update by Thanksgiving? This extended hiatus leads one to worry about the extent of Rich's condition, to say the least, and I think we consumers are entitled to voice our concern. Be healed, Rich, and may we hear from you soon.

Fitzclowningham
2011-07-07, 10:43 AM
He used to give updates when things were going to be late. I wonder why he changed his mind.

LibraryOgre
2011-07-07, 10:51 AM
The Mod Wonder: Thread closed as inappropriate topic. When we have information, we will inform you.