PDA

View Full Version : H:tV New Conspiracy, The Nephite Priesthood

horus42
2011-07-07, 09:55 AM
So, I was thinking the other day about how nWoD has Hunter organizations for Catholics, Protestants, and Anglicans, so why not one for Mormons? (Or Eastern Orthodoxy, for that matter, but that's for another day.)

So I got to thinking, and this is the result. I don't have the obligatory three factions yet, nor do I have mechanics for the Endowment. (Although I do have the fluff and what each individual power is supposed to do.) I also don't have the page of short fiction yet, but that's not as necessary, really.

The Nephite Priesthood: The Prophets of the Dust (Spoilered for length)
Since its inception, many people have wondered why Joseph Smith replaced the first book in his Holy Text. The official explanation is that the original manuscript was stolen, and that Smith had to translate another, abridged account of the same events. Others say that it is because Mormonism is a fraud, and that the change proves that Smith simply made it all up. The truth, however, is something much more befitting the World of Darkness.

The book that supposedly disappeared, The Book of Lehi, never existed. It was a ruse by Smith, a red herring to send people on a search for a book they can never find. The first text in The Book of Mormon is, and always was, The Book of Nephi. However, Joseph Smith discovered some strange things encoded in the original text. The Nephite Priesthood claim that the original Book of Nephi contained a cypher, a code handed down from God Himself, which could be used to fight evil. Smith did not want this power to fall into just anyone’s hands, so he abridged the text, and hid the original away.

The True Book of Nephi remained hidden for decades, until it was found by Brigham Young. Young deciphered the text, and discovered the hidden message from the Heavens: Monsters walk among you, but there are ways to combat them. Young gathered scholars of Theology and some more militaristic Mormons together, and showed them what he had found. Thus, the Nephite Priesthood was born: A group of Mormon Hunters, wielding the power contained within the Holy Text.

The Enemy:
The Prophets of the Dust are familiar with the Supernatural, of course. Much of the information contained within the cypher hidden in the True Book of Nephi was about what humanity had to face, and how the creatures could be stopped. They mostly deal with the monsters who pose a direct threat to either their people or their dogma. Vampires are prime targets, as are spirits, ghosts, and demons. The Nephite Priesthood believes that destroying a ghost’s anchor does not kill them, but allows them to pass on to the Spirit World, where they can await the Judgment of the Heavenly Father. However, they usually only resort to this with particularly violent ghosts, and try to help others move on naturally. As a result, they often come into contact with Sin-Eaters. The Prophets of the Dust are unsure of what to think of them. On the one hand, they perform a similar function, helping ghosts move on to the afterlife, but others are selfish, and exploit the souls of the dead for their own gains. Members of the Priesthood are told to act as they see fit on a case-by-case-basis.

Most others are secondary objectives at best, unless they are actively harming human beings. A werewolf who minds his own business will be left alone, just the same as a Mage who uses her power to help others. The True Book of Nephi says that just because it’s Supernatural, doesn’t mean it’s evil, and most Prophets of the Dust adhere to that.

Like mundane Mormon missionaries, members of the Nephite Priesthood tend to work in pairs. They think it best to never be alone while one holds the Vigil, because any slip-up can lead to death, or worse. Because of this, the Prophets of the Dust are also willing to work with most other Hunter organizations, although individual members certainly have their prejudices.

Stereotypes:
Null Mysteriis- I appreciate your effort, I really do. But can’t you just accept that some things can’t be explained?

The Union- I like these guys. A lot of them know me as that annoying guy who tries to convert them all the time, but they still saved my life when there was trouble.

Malleus Maleficarum- So close, and yet so far. God is with them, to be sure, it’s just the little details we don’t see eye-to-eye on.

Task Force: VALKYRIE-A government-funded agency used to deal with Supernatural threats. It all seems a little… Soulless, you know?

Hunters:
You went halfway around the world on your Mission. In the Third World, where superstition runs rampant, and the need for secrecy is thinner, you saw some things you don’t care much to think about. When you came home, the Elders had a job for you.

You’ve always tried to be a good Mormon, but your faith was shaken when your wife got cancer. Her seemingly miraculous recovery came with a price, however, and when the thing came to collect on your wife’s debt, you were ready. You found your faith restored when you found out that the LDS Church was doing something about it too.

The members of your Church were dwindling, and not due to mundane means. Something was taking them, and killing them. You found the demon, and fought back. The next day, the Nephite Priesthood came calling.

You were always an academic. You specialized in ancient languages, and one day, a manuscript appeared in your mailbox. It was written in a language you had never come across, but after months of work, you managed to decipher it. It contained some strange things, but you instinctually felt that they were true. After you had read it, a letter from the Prophets of the Dust found its way to you.

The Nephite Priesthood accepts adults who are in good standing with the LDS Church, similarly to how they accept their missionaries. However, the applicant must also be fit enough to fight, and intelligent enough to learn Reformed Egyptian script necessary for their Endowment.

• You have been accepted as a Nephite Priest, and given access to the True Book of Nephi. You are able to purchase Scriptography Rites. You are known as a Brother, or Sister.
••• You are well known, and have gained the respect of many of your fellow Mormons. You gain one extra dot in Status (LDS Church). You are known as a Deacon, or Deaconess.
••••• You are so well respected by the Priesthood that you are given a protégé, equivalent to a three-dot retainer. You are known as an Elder.

Endowment: Scriptography

Words have power, but not all of that power lasts very long. Talk, for example, is cheap. As soon as the words are out of your mouth, they’re gone. However, writing endures. The written word, especially the written Word of God, has more power than any spoken word ever could. The Nephite Priesthood makes use of the written word, taken from the True Book of Nephi, to combat evil. Most carry a notepad and a pen, others simply use a marker, and still others use their own blood to write the sigils. No one outside of the Priesthood can understand the writing, and no one knows quite for sure what language it actually is. Joseph Smith called it “Reformed Egyptian”, but scholars say it shows no relation to either ancient Egyptian or modern Arabic. Some say that it is the language of the Angels, and the Prophets of the Dust believe it to be such.

The powers themselves are called Rites, and each Rite must be learned separately. Knowing how to write one passage from the True Book of Nephi doesn’t make one able to write any passage, after all.

Seer Stones (•)
Just like the Stones Joseph Smith used to translate the golden plates into the Book of Mormon, the character can use this Scriptography Rite to translate any language into their native tongue. However, this only works on written words. The Nephite Priest must make two marks on their eyelids, either by writing them on the eyelids themselves, or by placing a piece of paper on them. Either way, the sigils vanish when the power is activated. It lasts for one scene.

Discernment (•)
A potent ability for any Prophets of the Dust is to distinguish the Truth. Use of this Rite allows the Nephite Priest to determine if someone is lying to them. They must place a written sigil on either ear, and once the power is active, the sigils will vanish. The effect lasts for one scene.

Mark of the Lamanite (••)
According to the Book of Mormon, God cursed a tribe of people known as the Lamanites after they committed genocide. The curse was a physical mark of their punishment, and with this Rite, a Prophet of the Dust can see Supernatural beings for what they really are, in the form of a glyph on the creature’s forehead. This Rite should be performed beforehand, and involves a slip of paper long enough to cover both eyes, covered in Reformed Egyptian script. The effects last for a scene.

Blessed Garment (••)
Many Mormons used to believe that garments blessed in a particular way could protect the wearer from all sorts of things. The Nephite Priesthood has discovered that a Rite in which one covers the inside of their clothes with passages from the True Book of Nephi can, in fact, protect them. It doesn’t convey armor, or protect from physical harm, but it does protect from mental attacks. While wearing a Blessed Garment, a Prophet of the Dust is immune to mind control and possession.

Spirit Prison (•••)
According to the LDS Church, there is no Hell. There is, however, a place called the Spirit Prison, where unrighteous souls are given a chance to repent before facing God’s judgment. Only the most prideful and evil people don’t accept this second chance. Nephite Priests can tap into the Spirit Prison, and by creating a circle of Reformed Egyptian glyphs, they can trap a ghost, spirit, or demon within.

Exorcism (•••)
Demonic possession is an unfortunate reality in the World of Darkness. However, by reading passages from the True Book of Nephi, a Prophet of the Dust can cast out demons, ghosts, and spirits. This doesn’t make them go anywhere, however, and they must still be dealt with after they have been exorcised.

Power of Prayer (•••)
In both the Book of Mormon and the New Testament, Jesus performed many acts of healing. He also said, right before His departure from the Earth, that His disciples could do everything that He could, and more. By reading handwritten passages from the True Book of Nephi, a Nephite Priest can heal the afflictions of another. (This works pretty much the same way as the Benediction Rite “The Hands of St. Luke”)

Jaredite Steel (••••)
According to the Book of Mormon, a people known as the Jaredites knew how to fashion steel while other peoples were still using bronze for their weapons. Some say that this anachronism is further proof that the LDS Church is a sham, but the Nephite Priesthood knows better. Steel is simply a word of convenience, since there is no real translation of this metal’s name into English. By inscribing Reformed Egyptian glyphs into a melee weapon, it becomes temporarily made of Jaredite Steel. The weapon can inflict aggravated damage on Supernatural creatures, and can also be used to attack spirits, ghosts, and demons directly. The effects last for one scene.

Words of the Prophet (••••)
If words have power, then how much more do the words of a prophet have? The Nephite Priest must place a slip of paper, with the proper scripture, under their tongue. They can then issue one command, which the target of this Rite must obey, unless it is something clearly suicidal or extremely against their moral code.

Begone, ye! (••••)
This Rite is often used in conjunction with exorcism and Spirit Prison. By reading the proper passages from the True Book of Nephi, a Prophets of the Dust can banish a malevolent spirit back to whence it came, be it the Hisil, the Underworld, or the Inferno. The Rite does take time, however, and if not done quickly enough, the spirit could escape, or do something far worse.

Whispers in the Dust (•••••)
The Old Testament Prophet Isaiah spoke of a future where "Prophets whisper in the dust." The LDS Church claims that he was speaking of them. Those words gave this Rite its name, as it gave the Nephite Priesthood its nickname. By inscribing a circle of scripture in Reformed Egyptian sigils, and sitting in prayer within the circle, the Nephite Priest can receive a Revelation from the Almighty. They enter a dream-like trance, and experience visions, which give them clues to the question or problem at hand. (It works similarly to the Castigation Ritual “Infernal Visions”, but with Heavenly flavor and it costs a willpower point, instead of stopping one from regaining a willpower point from their sleep.)

Moroni’s Comrade (•••••)
Joseph Smith was said to have been visited by an Angel named Moroni before he found the plates that he translated into the Book of Mormon. With the use of this Scriptography Rite, the Prophet of the Dust can summon an Angelic being, and ask it to perform a single task. (This Rite works similarly to the Castigation Ritual “Summon forth the Pit”, although it summons an Angel, instead of a demon.)

Any thoughts? Critiques? Criticisms? I'm no expert on Mormon Theology, but I wanted to make it at least feel Mormon, you know? I hope I haven't made too many broad generalizations that offends anyone. If I have, please correct me.

Morty
2011-07-07, 10:20 AM
One the whole, I like it. It's clear effort has been put into it. However, I think it could be a little bit more unique, if you know what I mean. I especially mean their approach to the Enemy. Sadly, I know next to nothing about Mormonism, so I can't offer any hints on how to go about doing so.

horus42
2011-07-07, 10:24 AM
I can see what you mean. I feel like that's one of the weaker points as well, which is one of the reasons why I posted it here. To see if anyone has any advice on that, amongst other things.

Stubbazubba
2011-07-07, 05:16 PM
I, on the other hand, know very little about the mechanics of WoD, but a lot about the World itself and RL Mormonism, and I think this is a great fantastic adaptation, paying reasonable homage to its real-world origins while throwing in a great WoD twist. So, all I can really say is I approve of the fluff, which probably doesn't mean much to you, but, there it is.

After a re-read, I still agree with my original position above. One semantic thing - the Book of Mormon is supposed to have been translated from golden "plates," not "tablets." Not saying you have to change it if you're in love with tablets, 'cause technically they're the same thing, but in LDS doctrine, the word used is plates, almost universally.

The Tygre
2011-07-07, 05:54 PM
I have to give you praise. This is very good work, and I'm always happy to see new WoD material made so expertly. Keep up the good work!

horus42
2011-07-07, 06:14 PM
I, on the other hand, know very little about the mechanics of WoD, but a lot about the World itself and RL Mormonism, and I think this is a great fantastic adaptation, paying reasonable homage to its real-world origins while throwing in a great WoD twist. So, all I can really say is I approve of the fluff, which probably doesn't mean much to you, but, there it is.

Quite the contrary. While mechanics are important, I've always been more partial to fluff myself, and I appreciate the kind words.

After a re-read, I still agree with my original position above. One semantic thing - the Book of Mormon is supposed to have been translated from golden "plates," not "tablets." Not saying you have to change it if you're in love with tablets, 'cause technically they're the same thing, but in LDS doctrine, the word used is plates, almost universally.

This is the kind of thing I was talking about when I was asking for help from people who know more about Mormonism than I do. I'll fix it, since I would like for it to have a more authentic feel, albeit still with that WoD twist.

I have to give you praise. This is very good work, and I'm always happy to see new WoD material made so expertly. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! I'm glad to hear you like it.