PDA

View Full Version : Rules suggestion regarding medical advice

LCR
2011-07-07, 11:55 AM
Is this the right place to make a rules suggestion? If not, please move it to the appropriate space.

This has been a concern of mine for quite some time and I feel like I should at least bring it up for consideration:

I suggest that asking for and giving medical advice (including specifically psychiatric/psychological problems) be included in the list of inappropriate topics as there can be no qualified medical advice administered over the internet.
Most of the time, the advice given is unqualified, flat-out wrong, uninformed or even dangerous.
I know that it seems easier (or more affordable) to some people to seek help here, but because of the impossibility to receive good advice other than "see someone qualified" and the volatility of arguments regarding treatment, allowing these discussions to happen does a lot more harm (in some cases it might even do physical harm) than it does good.

I feel that such an amendment is consistent with the Forum Rules as they are now and that it would improve the overall quality of conversation.

crimson77
2011-07-08, 02:27 PM
I suggest that asking for and giving medical advice (including specifically psychiatric/psychological problems) be included in the list of inappropriate topics as there can be no qualified medical advice administered over the internet.

I completely agree and this very topic has been on my mind for some time, especially in light of legal advice being banned on this forum. I believe the OP makes a good point regarding the direct effects of medical or psychological advice. However, one should not discount the indirect effect, specifically delaying possible diagnosis or treatment due to misinformation given on the internet.

I do not think that a ban should be put into place on conversations regarding medical or psychological problems (e.g., anxiety support thread) just the advice given (e.g., what is the best treatment for depression). There is consistent scientific support that support groups both online and offline are effective at decreasing distress associated with chronic medical (and psychological) conditions. These forums are often moderated and one task of the moderators is to remind users that advice is often not helpful or beneficial and any treatment options should be discussed with their medical providers.

I think that a real strength of the giantitp community is the caring nature which is fostered on these boards. I believe that the support that is given on these boards for members who have acute or chronic physical and mental health problems is invaluable.

Occasional Sage
2011-07-08, 09:23 PM
I completely agree and this very topic has been on my mind for some time, especially in light of legal advice being banned on this forum.

I believe that the support that is given on these boards for members who have acute or chronic physical and mental health problems is invaluable.

I think that these two positions are an invitation to rampant violations. Leaving the conversation open, but banning advice, is likely too fine a line to walk safely.

Roland St. Jude
2011-07-08, 09:28 PM
I think that these two positions are an invitation to rampant violations. Leaving the conversation open, but banning advice, is likely too fine a line to walk safely.I think this was our final resolution when the issue came up during the last rules update. It seemed like a reasonable parallel to the "no legal advice" rule. So, we considered it, but deferred it for further consideration because it seemed unworkable. It's reasonable, though, and I'm sure it'll be discussed in the next go 'round.