PDA

View Full Version : Rune Magic [PEACH]

Domriso
2011-07-07, 12:12 PM
This is something I've been contemplating for a very long time, but only recently figured out a viable way to accomplish with how I have in mind. In essence, I love the idea of runic magic, of there being certain sigils that can just be drawn to bring forth power. However, I've never liked how it was accomplished in game. Any time I tried to find a variant, or tried to come up with my own, I failed.

Then I found some that actually worked. This was Alternate Realities Runic Weapons system. Now, the system itself was not for d20, so I've essentially had to create it myself from the ground up, using the ideas I culled from that sourcebook. It's also not entirely finished, hence why I'm throwing it up here, so I could get some help.

Without further ado, here are the runes:

Actually, wait, there is some more ado. I should probably mention, I do not use a lot of standard D&D 3.5 rules. While I love the d20 system, I have homebrewed my game so much, I think I need to call it something else other than D&D.

In particular, I use the True Sorcery system of magic from Green Ronin rather than the standard Vancian system. Because of that, standard magical items don't exist. It's very hard to make, and thus very rare, to find a permanently enchanted magical item. Thus, runes serve a special place in my games. Making a good system is therefore somewhat important to me.

RUNIC MAGIC

Runes are the most common way to enchant an object. Simply by carving a sigil, a person is capable of drawing magic into the world, and commanding that magic to work for them. It is by no means a simple art, but it is powerful and useful.

There are three ways of invoking runic magic: ofuda, runes and symbols. Runes are the common way of producing runic magic, by carefully inscribing detailed and intricate designs into the sides of other objects. Symbols are something of a down and dirty rune, capable of being drawn quickly to draw out the power, but usually not to the same degree as a rune. Ofuda are a variant of the runes, typically inscribed on easily destroyed objects, such as slips of paper. These objects are carefully detailed like runes, but expected to be destroyed, and therefore not as complicated as runes.

Runes are also customizable. Most runes have certain key features that can be altered to produce varied effects. This makes the art of recognizing runes incredibly important, as what appears to be a simple fire protection rune might actually have been altered to be a fire weakness rune.

When making a rune (or symbol) a certain Craft check (based on the material being carved) must be made; the DC is based on the difficulty of the rune. A rune is typically inscribed on a flat surface that is 12 inches by 12 inches (144 square inches) wide. It takes 1d3 days to inscribe such a rune, and the entire surface is taken up. For each halved size the time it takes to inscribe the rune increases, as detailed below:

Common NameSize of Area (in Square Inches/Inch x Inch)Time to InscribeIncrease to DC
Shield Rune144/12 x 122d3 days+0

Cartographer's Rune100/10 x 105d3 days+2

Blacksmith's Rune64/8 x 88d3 days+4

Scribe's Rune36/6 x 612d3 days+6

Lover's Rune16/4 x 416d3 days+8

Warrior's Rune4/2 x 221d3 days+10

Assassin's Rune1/1 x 126d3 days+12

Hidden Rune.25/.5 x .532d3 days+14

Pixie Rune.0625/.25 x .2538d3 days+16

Some runes can be blended together, which allows their powers to interact symbiotically. For the most part, powerful runes are more difficult, but simple runes can be made even by laypeople.

Most runes have either limited uses per day or constant, weaker effects.
Runes are most often carved into stone or metal. Wood can be carved into, but it easily warps, and therefore does not usually hold a rune for long (unless a Yew rune is applied first, but that is a special case). Crystal is also sometimes used, but the ease in which crystal can be destroyed pushes most to avoid doing so.

Common Names: The common names of runes vary from place to place, but in general follow these conventions. The names refer to traits of the runes, based on their relative size and use.

This convention was mostly to make it easier to reference the size of the runes, without having to actually write out the details every time. I tried to make the common name reference a common use of the runes, but I'm sure there are better uses. If anyone has a better name, I'll be glad to hear it.

Size of Area: Runes can be decreased in size, so as to fit them on smaller objects. The process is much the same, though the time it takes increases.

This is one of the advantages of the system. Runes are naturally made fairly large, at 12 by 12 inches. That's not huge, but significant enough that you can't go putting them on everything. You can make them smaller, but that increases the time it takes to inscribe them, as well as the difficulty.

In general, I made this go by even squares. It made the area easier to calculate, and not as odd measurements. The original system had the base be 100 square inches, and every 50% decrease in area increased the DC, but I decided this would be easier to understand and serve the same purpose.

Time to Detail: As always, the most difficult part of making a rune is the detailing. It takes an enormous amount of time to craft a rune, and that time only increases as the size of the rune decreases. For every week that a rune takes to make, another Craft check must be made, at the same DC. Failure means the rune is ruined and must be scrapped.
A days worth of work is eight hours of detailing. These need not be done on consecutive days, but skipping a day requires an Intelligence check to remember exactly where in the rune the crafter stopped. The DC for this check is 10. For every additional day that goes by without working on the Rune, the check increases by 1. If the crafter fails this check, they waste that day’s work. If they critical fail this check, they completely misremember, and they ruin the rune in the process.

The major balancing act of the system is the time it takes for a rune to be crafted. This was also present in the sourcebook I borrowed the idea from, but it was much harsher (to get one of the smaller sized runes, it would take between six months and two years to inscribe). I opted to make this less, choosing instead to make the runes themselves not as powerful, but which have the capability of being joined together to make them more useful.

Increase to DC: Working with smaller space makes a rune more difficult to correctly detail. The smaller the rune gets, the more difficult it is to get all the intricacies right. As such, each smaller rune becomes more and more difficult to detail. The smallest of runes are nearly impossible to detail successfully without special tools.

The reasoning for making the skill checks higher for smaller runes is simple: most of the runes would be exceedingly powerful if they were made to be easily inscribed small. A hundred of the same runes might not have cumulative effects, but they would be more powerful. Hence, smaller runes take longer to inscribe, but are also more difficult to inscribe.

Size: Being smaller makes detailing smaller runes more easily. As the rules are, the DCs of runes are written with the assumption that it is a Medium creature detailing a rune that is 144 square inches (a shield rune) in size. If the detailer is smaller than this, then the runes become easier to correctly detail.

For every size category smaller than Medium, the creature receives a bonus to their Craft checks. Likewise, for every size category larger than Medium, the creature takes a penalty on their Craft checks for making runes.The exact bonus is detailed on the following table.

Creature's SizeModifier to Craft Checks
Colossal-20
Gargantuan-12
Huge-6
Large-2
Medium+0
Small+2
Tiny+6
Diminutive+12
Fine+20

It makes sense to me that a creature who was smaller would innately see the world on a smaller scale, and thus be better able to inscribe smaller runes. It makes no sense that very small creatures still need to inscribe runes that are larger than them, so smaller creatures can inscribe smaller runes more easily. Note, this also makes it so that certain races that practice runecrafting will be sought out because of their superior skill.

Dexterity: Finally, a high Dexterity can aid in making well-crafted runes. When crafting runes, a creature adds his Dexterity modifier to the check as well as his Intelligence modifier. Clumsy people tend to find it more difficult to inscribe runes.

I struggled with this one, but eventually I decided to include it. Certain people are just better able to craft things, especially small details, even if they aren't smart enough to envision it. I suppose it could be changed to "Use the higher of your Dexterity or Intelligence modifier," but I like this one better, especially since there's a lot that would make it more difficult to make the runes in the first place.

Symbols: Symbols are simply the sloppy, rushed versions of runes. Whereas runes are usually painstakingly etched into different surfaces, symbols can be painted, drawn, even smudged, onto another surface. While it is technically possible to create a symbol that is of the same power as a rune, doing so is extraordinarily difficult. More commonly, a symbol is quickly made so as to take advantage of their power immediately.

A symbol requires 1d8 rounds to create. During that time, the creator needs to make a Craft check (of whatever the creator is using) against the DC of the rune. If they succeed, the symbol is created and can be used like a rune. If they fail, the symbol does not work. On a critical failure, the symbol appears to be crafted correctly, but is actually terribly mislaid, and has a 100% chance misfire rate.
Symbols take exactly the same form as runes, so any rune can be made into a symbol. However, symbols also have a certain percent chance to fail, whether it be because of mis-inscription, or wear on the inscription. A symbol can last for one minute, plus an additional number of minutes equal to the amount the creator exceeded the DC of the check, divided by 2. So, Don the Bold is making a symbol of the Rune of Weakness. This normally has a DC of 28. He gets a +13 to his check, and he rolled a 17, for a total of 30. 30 minus 28 is 2, and that divide by 2 is 1, so the symbol lasts for 2 minutes.

Further, there is always a chance of failure by a symbol. Whenever activated (which might be every round, for a continuous effect rune), the symbol has a 15% chance of misfiring, which results in a random effect occurring instead (see accompanying Misfire Table). In addition, the misfire chance increases by an amount equal to the total DC of the rune divided by 5, rounded up. So, a rune with a DC of 34 would have a total misfire chance of 22% (15 + [34/5 = 6.8, rounded up to 7] yields 22). Finally, every time that a symbol is used, the misfire chance increases by 2%.

By spending additional time crafting the symbol, the creator can lessen the misfire chance. For every additional round they spend crafting the symbol, the misfire chance is reduced by 1%, to a minimum of 0%. However, this will not prevent the symbol from accruing a misfire chance as it is used.

Symbols are an interesting idea, and a way to make simple, if rather unreliable, runes on the fly. It could be the difference between life or death, if the crafter is smart.

Special Inlays: Runes are usually simply etched into a surface, or perhaps woven into a piece of clothing, or the like, but sometimes a whitesmith goes the extra mile. Certain materials naturally carry mystical energies better than others, and using the right materials can sometimes mean the difference between successfully creating a rune and not.

Each rune has its own special requirements of materials which can increase their chance of success. Using the materials decreases the DC required to successfully create the rune.

This is an idea I had from reading too much fiction. It would make sense that certain substances, like maybe gem powder or blood, could empower the basic magic of a rune if used to fill the rune. I have yet to fully extend this, mostly because I need to finish making the runes and then think of symbolic substances, but I do want to do this.

COMBINING WORK
The most common way to make a rune is to start work one day and move onto working on it the next day. One person, making one rune, and spending the time to do it right. However, that’s not the only way to do it.

A growing trend amongst runecrafters is that of mass production. In this style, a rune is worked on for eight hours by one worker, then for eight hours by another worker, then for eight hours by another worker, and so on. Doing the runecrafting in this way cuts down on the time significantly, but also quality. When multiple crafters work on a rune, it can be difficult to organize the work. When starting work on a rune that someone else was working on, the crafter must make an Intelligence check, with a DC of 10 + 1 per number of workers who have worked on the rune since the crafter last worked. Failure means that the crafter misinterprets where the last crafter left off, and they lose that days work. A critical failure means that the crafter completely misunderstood and ruined the rune.

However, logistically, this is a good way to work. Having three workers on a single rune cuts the time down by a third; most full runes can be done in a day or two using this method. Even the most complicated pixie runes take far less time using this method. Some of the most impressive runes have involved many crafters collaborating on a single rune, cutting the time down by phenomenal amounts.

This gives the DM a way to make runes faster, if somewhat less reliably. It really doesn't have any additional benefit for having more than three individuals working on one rune, since it takes eight hours of work to accomplish one day of work, and the more people working on it makes the Intelligence check more difficult.

MATERIALS
The type of material that a rune is placed on determines a lot about the nature of the rune. Runes can only be effective if they stay pristine; oftentimes, a rune is kept protected, so as to make sure nothing happens to it.

Bone: Another lesser-often used material, bone is most often used by races lacking access to smelting, especially if bones are used as weapon materials or decorations. Bone is an odd material because it rarely is uniform in shape; in addition to the +4 penalty to the rune’s DC for having a rounded surface, most bones also suffer a -2 penalty for its lack of uniform shape.

Cloth: Another unusual choice, cloth has the advantage of being easier to store. Runes can be sown into cloth, or even crafted to incorporate runes on purpose, and the process allows for blankets, clothing, cloaks, and more to possess runes. Unfortunately, they are also much easier to distort, since a single thread being pulled out can ruin the rune.

Crystal: An uncommon choice to inscribe upon, for many reasons, crystal nonetheless does occasionally bear runes. Crystal ranges widely in durability and brittleness, but generally they can be expected to be easier to break apart than other materials. That alone makes it a less desirable choice to inscribe runes upon. However, they do allow the possibility of hiding runes in jewelry, of which is the most common application.

Flesh: Possibly the least often used material, living flesh is about as far from ideal as can be had. Flesh constantly grows, warps, and changes, and even flexing ones muscles can warp a rune enough to cause it to misfire. Still, especially amongst the more martial races, scarring runes into flesh is a practice, albeit a dangerous one.

The bizarre medium of flesh carries with it the difficulties of inscribing. All attempts to inscribe a rune in flesh is made at a -8 penalty. This includes the penalty for inscribing on a rounded surface.

All flesh runes innately carry a 15% misfire chance. There is little that can be done to mitigate this.

Leather: Leather is not an easy material to work with in the process of making runes. Leather is stiffer than cloth, but it bends and is rarely straight. Worse, leather can crack if untreated, making it a less useful material in a variety of ways.

Metal: Metal is an obvious choice for placing a rune on. It’s durable, protective, and can be used in a variety of ways. Warriors who wear armor anyway favor these runes. The downside is, of course, that metal is very durable. It is a difficult medium to work with, especially the harder types. But, metal is used in so many different applications, from weapons to armor to battlements to simple tools, so they are one of the most common surfaces to find runes upon.

Stone: Stone is a favored material for many peoples, since so many castles are made of stone. Less durable than metal, stone is easier to work with, but still protective, which is helpful in multiple ways.

Natural Armor: In a similar vein to inscribing on flesh, some creatures which naturally possess thick skin or bony plates will inscribe runes upon their surfaces. This is an easier task than the scarification of flesh, and only imposes a -2 penalty upon the check. Sometimes the natural armor can be flat enough to not count as round, such as a Quarz Bjord.

Wood: Wood is a common material for protective runes to be inscribed upon, mostly because they are a common building material. While they are easier to inscribe upon, being softer than metal or stone, they also deteriorate more quickly.

I'm sure there are other possibilities than this, but this was all I could think of when I was writing the materials section. If anyone has a suggestion, feel free to send it my way.

THE CHECK
When crafting a rune, the first thing to do is to determine what rune is being crafted. Each rune has a specific DC, and adding any additions to the rune will increase this (and possibly the time to craft). After that, the number of days required is determined. This also determines the number of checks which must be made. For every week that the crafter must work, another check must be made, against the same DC.

Certain factors can increase or decrease the difficulty of inscribing a rune. These are described below.

Round: Most runes are made upon the flattest surface possible, to minimize possible distortions in the rune. When inscribing on a round surface, such as on a cylindrical wand, the check to inscribe the rune increases by +4.

Spherical: While round surfaces are difficult, purely spherical ones are even more so. A spherical surface carries a DC that is +8 higher.

Irregular: Even surfaces that are spherical are easier to work on that irregular surfaces. To inscribe a rune on an irregular surface, the DC increases by +12. Furthermore, all irregular runes carry a 15% misfire chance. This can be reduced by increasing the DC of the check. For every point that the misfire chance is reduced by, the DC increases by 2.

Another thing to note about the check is that, depending on the medium, the rune crafting is made via different skills. A rune carved into a stone will take a much different skill than that of weaving into cloth. As such, consult the following table to determine which skills govern which materials:

Material|Skill
Bone|Craft (Scrimshaw)
Cloth|Craft (Weaving)
Crystal|Craft (Gemcutting)
Flesh|Craft (Tattooing)
Leather|Craft (Leatherworking)
Metal|Craft (Blacksmith or Whitesmith)
Natural Armor|Not sure yet
Stone|Craft (Sculpture)
Wood|Craft (Whittling)

Now, this is another balancing factor of runes. If you don't have a heck of a lot of skills, you can probably only inscribe runes of a particular type, making it much harder to branch out. It also makes runecrafting something more reserved to NPCs than PCs, without making it absurd for a PC to want to be able to accomplish it.

COMBINING RUNES
Many runes possess minor, weaker effects. A common thought is that, if one were to carve multiple of the same rune, it would result in a more powerful rune. The thought is not entirely misplaced, but neither is it completely correct.

Runes cannot simply be doubled up. Instead, multiple runes of the same type inscribed on a single surface must be inscribed together. What this means is that, instead of just inscribing two of the same rune, the two runes must be inscribed in such a way as to connect the two of them. This results in a magnification of the power inherent within the rune. Runes made of multiple runes tied together are referred to as complex runes, and after having been inscribed, they function as a single rune.

The two (or more) runes need not be inscribed at the exact same time; in fact, it is impossible to inscribe both runes at exactly the same time. Instead, the process is exactly the same as inscribing multiple runes, except that, when connecting a rune to another, the DC increases. When inscribing an additional rune, the DC increases by +2 for each previous rune that was a part of the complex rune.

For instance, if Moifae were to inscribe a Rune of Sparks on her sword, the DC would be 18 (+10 for being a Warrior rune). If she then wanted to inscribe a second Rune of Sparks on her sword, she would have to tie the two together, which would increase the second Rune of Sparks’ DC by +2 (resulting in the DC being 20). If she were to attempt to inscribe a third Rune of Sparks, the DC would be 22 (+10 for the Warrior rune size, +4 for being the third rune being tied to the complex rune).

This is probably one of the more difficult aspects of runes. Since each rune is different, they each need to have the combinations explained. While time-consuming, it also allows runes to become more powerful through the use of complex runes. I find it very helpful, since this means true works of art can be made, but they're more difficult.

Now, as you can probably see, this isn't completely finished. I'm looking for things I may have missed, and other ways to fix up the system. Next post will have what runes I have created thus far.

Domriso
2011-07-07, 12:13 PM
THE RUNES
Runes are listed alphabetically. Some runes possess the ability to be extended, either by adding additional runes on, or by adding special aspects to the runes, such as criteria of activation. Each of the runes are presented in a standard format, so as to be more easily understood.

Rune Name
DC: This is the base DC which must be achieved by a creature crafting a Shield version of the rune. Smaller or larger runes will have their DC altered, as mentioned above.
Common Objects: This section details the general objects upon which this rune is usually placed. This does not necessarily negate the rune from being placed on other objects, but its powers may or may not work the same, or as effectively.
Description: This a description of how the rune generally works, including its effects, its restrictions, and its duration.
Complex Runes: This section details how the rune can be made complex, and what restrictions apply.
Activation: This section details how often a rune may be activated, what its duration is, and other factors relating to the general use of the rune.

Rune of Amplification
DC: 10
Common Objects: This rune is placed on all manner of objects. It is never used alone, only in conjunction; alone, it does nothing in particular.
Description: This rune is used to make other runes more powerful. It has no power on its own. Instead, it must be tied to another rune which allows a saving throw. When connected so, this rune increases the DC of the saving throw by 5.
Complex Runes: This rune can be tied multiple times to another rune. Each additional time increases the DC of the rune by one less (so, the second application of this rune grants a +4 bonus to the DC, the third application of this rune grants a +3 bonus to the DC, &c.), to a minimum of a +1 bonus.
Activation: This rune is always active. Its benefits apply whenever the rune to which it is tied is activated.

Rune of Arcane Warding
Common Objects: This rune is almost always placed on hard to reach objects. While it is difficult to make smaller versions of this rune, it is often worth it, because larger versions are bigger targets. When possible, rings and necklaces are the biggest placements. If that is not possible, this rune is usually placed on armor and shields, but sometimes on sheathes, just to throw others off-guard.
Description: This rune provides the wearer with spell resistance 5.
Complex Runes: This rune can be tied together multiple times, increasing the spell resistance granted by the rune, but each time reduces the increase to spell resistance. The second time this rune is applied, the spell resistance increases by 4, the third it increases by 3, the fourth it increases by 2, &c. This continues to a minimum of 1.
Activation: This rune is constantly active. It requires no special action to activate it.

Rune of Durability
DC: 13
Common Objects: This rune is common to nearly all objects, but it has a special place in the tools of workers and in buildings. It is also used on weapons and armor, but this is usually secondary when compared to its use in fortifications and tools.
Description: This rune increases the hardness of the object it is placed upon by 3. This is especially useful for objects with other runes on them, since it makes them harder for the runes to be damaged.
Complex Runes: This rune can be tied together multiple times. Each additional rune provides an additional bonus to hardness, but at 1 less. So, the second time this rune is applied, the bonus to hardness is 2, the third time it is 1, &c. The minimum bonus to hardness is 1.
Activation: This rune needs no activation. It is constantly active once fully inscribed.

Rune of Elemental Protection
DC: 12
Common Objects: A common rune, this is most often placed on armor, shields, gauntlets, and other protective objects. If the crafter is skilled enough, placing these runes on rings and necklaces is often enjoyed.
Description: This rune is actually a collection of runes which have similar functions. When crafted, the runemaester must choose one of the following energy types: acid, cold, electricity, fire, radiant, or sonic. This rune provides the wearer a constant benefit of resistance 3 to that energy type.
Complex Runes: This rune can be tied together multiple times. Each additional time provides the wearer with additional resistance, but it lessens it each time. So, the second time this rune is applied, the resistance increases by 2, the third time the resistance increases by 1, &c, to a minimum increase of 1.
Activation: This rune has no activation. It constantly protects the wearer.

Rune of Endurance
DC: 13
Common Objects: This rune is most often applied to easily-destroyed objects, or objects likely to be damaged. This includes fortifications, weapons and armor (particularly if they already possess other runes), and tools.
Description: This rune increases the amount of damage an object can take. It increases the hp of the object it is inscribed upon by 5 points (or 5 points per inch of thickness, if applicable).
Complex Runes: This rune can be tied together multiple times. Each time, it increases the hp of the object, but at increasingly smaller intervals. The second time it is applied, it increases the hp by 4, the third time by 3, the fourth time by 2, &c. The minimum increase is by 1 hit point.
Activation: This rune need not be activated. It constantly affects the object that it is placed upon.

Rune of Explosions
DC: 15
Common Objects: This rune is most commonly placed inside books and on doorways or signs. Essentially anywhere that someone is likely to read. Sometimes it is placed on shields as a tactic in battle, but this can backfire if the rune is read from afar.
Description: When read, this rune releases an explosion, engulfing those around the rune. Those within 10 feet of the runes take 1d6 points of force damage. They may make a Reflex save (DC 15) for half damage. The object that the runes are inscribed upon take full damage, and they receive no saving throw.
Complex Runes: This rune may be inscribed multiple times. Each time the damage the runes deal increases by 1d6.
Activation: This rune is activated by another creature reading it. The creature need not understand the language in order to activate the rune. It simply needs to attempt to decipher the writing, or make sense of it in some way.

Rune of Extension
Common Objects: This rune is applied to a wide variety of objects. Because it is a supplementary rune, many different types of objects can possess these runes.
Description: This rune has no effect on its own. Rather, it increase the existing powers of another rune. This rune is effective only on runes which possess a range of some form. It increases the range by 1.5 times. If the rune it is attached to has multiple types of ranges (such as a rune possessing a range at which it can strike and a radius of an explosion), then the crafter of this rune must choose which range this rune will increase when crafting it.
Complex Runes: This rune can be tied together multiple times. Each time it increases the (newly increased) range of the rune by 1.5. It can also be added to runes which possess multiple types of ranges in order to increase both ranges.
Activation: This rune requires no special activation. It is constantly active.

Rune of Fatal Attraction
Common Objects: This rune is almost always placed on weapons. It can technically function on other objects, but it is much less useful in that fashion.
Description: When this rune is crafted, a specific creature Origin, Type, or Keyword must be selected. Afterwards it cannot be changed. This rune provides a +1 to hit creatures of that Origin, Type, or Keyword.
Complex Runes: This rune can be tied together multiple times. Each time it is tied together, it increases the bonus to attack rolls by +1 against that specific creature type.
Activation: This rune does not need to be activated. It is constantly active.

Rune of Maximization
DC: 17
Common Objects: This is a supplementary rune, so it can be applied to a number of different objects. However, due to its nature, it is most commonly applied to weapons and armor.
Description: This rune does nothing on its own. It is useful only when applied to other runes. Specifically, it must be applied to a rune which has some variable number, such as a Rune of Slaying. It maximizes the variable number whenever it is used.
Special: The order in which this rune is applied is important. If other runes are applied after it, they are not maximized. For example, if a Rune of Slaying was placed on a sword, and then a Rune of Maximization was tied to the rune, then that sword would deal +3 damage to a specific type of enemy all the time. If, however, another Rune of Slaying was applied to the sword at a later date, the sword would deal an additional 1d3+3 damage to a specific type of enemy; the second Rune of Slaying is not maximized because it was added after the Rune of Maximization.

If, however, another sword had two Runes of Slaying inscribed upon it, and then a Rune of Maximization was applied, the sword would deal +6 damage to a specific enemy all the time, because both the Runes of Slaying were applied before the Rune of Maximization. This means that more powerful Runes of Maximization can be applied, but they must be applied at the correct time.
This is due to the nature of runes and how they interact with each other.
Complex Runes: This rune has no special applications for multiple applications. It can be applied multiple times if additional variable runes are applied and the crafter wishes to maximize them.
Activation: This rune requires no special action to activate it. It is always active.

Rune of Psychic Warding
DC: 16
Common Objects: This rune is almost always placed on hard to reach objects. While it is difficult to make smaller versions of this rune, it is often worth it, because larger versions are bigger targets. When possible, rings and necklaces are the biggest placements. If that is not possible, this rune is usually placed on armor and shields, but sometimes on sheathes, just to throw others off-guard.
Description: This rune provides the wearer with power resistance 5.
Complex Runes: This rune can be tied together multiple times, increasing the power resistance granted by the rune, but each time reduces the increase to power resistance. The second time this rune is applied, the power resistance increases by 4, the third it increases by 3, the fourth it increases by 2, &c. This continues to a minimum of 1.
Activation: This rune is constantly active. It requires no special action to activate it.

Rune of Slaying
Common Objects: This rune is almost always placed on weapons. While it can function on other objects, its purpose was made for tools of death.
Description: When made, a specific Origin, Type, or Keyword must be selected. This rune provides a +1d3 bonus to damage against creatures with that Origin, Type, or Keyword.
Complex Runes: This rune can be tied together multiple times. Each time provides a further +1d3 bonus to damage against that same creature.
Activation: This rune requires no special activation. It is constantly active.

Rune of Sparks
DC: 8
Common Objects: This rune is most often placed on shields or the backs of armor. While it can be placed on weapons, the need to close ones eyes to not be affected by it makes it somewhat less useful. Characters protected from bright lights sometimes place it on their weapons to use in intimidation. Another common use is on ofuda, since they can be thrown easily and thus not affect the user.
Description: This rune is used to produce a massive burst of light which blinds those who can see it. When activated, everyone in a 30 foot radius must make a Reflex save (DC 15) or be blinded for 1d4 rounds. Those who succeed on their saves are dazzled for 1d4 rounds instead. The wearer of the rune is not immune to this power; if they wish to avoid the save, they can close their eyes, but they suffer all the penalties for being blind for the round in which they close their eyes.
Activation: This rune can be activated as a move action. It can be used three times per day.

Rune of Utility
Common Objects: This is a supplementary rune, so it can be applied to many objects. However, due to the nature of its subject of alteration, it is most often applied to weapons and armor.
Description: This rune cannot be used by itself. It must be tied to another rune. This rune increases the number of uses another rune has. It doubles the available uses of a rune. For instance, if attached to a Rune of Sparks, it would allow the Rune of Sparks to be used 6 times per day.
Complex Runes: This rune can be applied multiple times. Each time it is applied, it increases the number of times it can be used per day, but not by always doubling it. For every additional application, it increases the usage by the original doubling – 1. So, for example, the first time the Rune of Utility is applied to a Rune of Sparks, it increases the number of uses per day from three to six. The second time it is applied to that Rune of Sparks, it increases the number of uses per day from six to eight (an additional three, minus one). The third time it is applied to that Rune of Sparks, it increases the uses per day from eight to nine. And so on.
The minimum number of increases to uses is one.
Activation: This rune has no special activation. It is constantly active.

Rune of Waterproofing
DC: 12
Common Objects: This rune is unusual in that is most often placed on scrolls and books. Paper products, metal objects, cloth, and the like. It is not much of a battle rune.
Description: This rune makes the object it is placed on immune to the normal wear and tear associated with water. This includes all types of water damage, erosion via water, and the like.
Complex Runes: This rune provides no additional benefit when applied multiple times.
Activation: This rune is constantly active. It requires no special activation.

Rune of Weakness
DC: 14
Common Objects: This rune is often placed on gloves and gauntlets. It is sometimes placed on weapons, but more often it is used with the hope of avoiding fights, so this is uncommon.
Description: This rune causes extreme, if temporary, weakness in another creature. The touched creature must succeed on a Fortitude save (DC 15) or take 1d4 points of Strength damage. The damage recovers at a rate of 1 point per hour.
Complex Runes: This rune can be tied together several times. Each time, the Strength damage increases by 1. So, a second application increases the Strength damage to 1d4+1, the third increases the damage to 1d4+2, &c.
Activation: This can be activated as part of a melee touch attack. It can be used once per hour.

The DCs on some of these are wonky. I need to fix those a bit.

Domriso
2011-07-07, 12:14 PM
Reserved for even more Runes, if I need it.

EdroGrimshell
2011-07-11, 04:17 PM
This is absolutely awesome!

I'm surprised no one else has posted yet because this looks very good and well thought out. This is actually a project i was working on for a new craft system for low magic settings that uses natural magic (like how gems have a natural magic to them in mythology).

I'd like to work with you on this project and ask for your help in a project of my own as well if you're interested. PM me if you're interested in my help and/or in helping with my own project.

Domriso
2011-07-11, 04:56 PM
I'm glad you enjoy!

Honestly, it is a kind of huge thing to read through, so I'm not terribly surprised it hasn't gotten a lot of replies. I was going to work on it a bit more and post some more stuff, to avoid the whole "Bump: PLEASE COMMENT" line of reasoning.

EdroGrimshell
2011-07-11, 05:20 PM
I'm glad you enjoy!

Honestly, it is a kind of huge thing to read through, so I'm not terribly surprised it hasn't gotten a lot of replies. I was going to work on it a bit more and post some more stuff, to avoid the whole "Bump: PLEASE COMMENT" line of reasoning.

I admit i did skim, but i'm actually going back to read more thoroughly now so i can give more in depth ideas.

Welknair
2011-07-11, 06:30 PM
Wow. Less than 25 posts and you've already made this. Congratulations. This is amazing, well defined, well thought out, reasonably balanced and shows an obvious investment in your work. I see a bright homebrewing future for you.

Domriso
2011-07-11, 06:39 PM
Heh, less than 25 posts is a bit of a misnomer. I'm a rather long term-gamer, coming up on my 8th consecutive year of D&Ding, and I'm been homebrewing for a while before that. I just hadn't realized how useful the GitP forums were until recently. I wish I had; I would have had a lot more things to post here before now.

Welknair
2011-07-11, 07:04 PM
Heh, less than 25 posts is a bit of a misnomer. I'm a rather long term-gamer, coming up on my 8th consecutive year of D&Ding, and I'm been homebrewing for a while before that. I just hadn't realized how useful the GitP forums were until recently. I wish I had; I would have had a lot more things to post here before now.

Ah, well I welcome you as an active member of GitP's homebrewing community.

EdroGrimshell
2011-07-19, 08:00 PM
Here's an idea, a few feats for runemakers. Obvious but still something of use, such as a focus on a particular substance, scribing smaller runes, scribing when you are a larger creatures, that kind of thing. Just basic skill bonuses really.

Also, maybe a way to scribe runes inside a weapon while it's being forged. It'd be at a big penalty but would give a major boost to the number of runes that could be applied.

Domriso
2011-07-19, 08:12 PM
I had been thinking about how runes could be scribed in the process of forging weapons, so you could place one underneath the hilt or the like. I like the idea, but it's hard to figure out exactly how to work it.

As for feats, those are definitely a good idea. The idea of a Dwarven stone scribe sounds like fun.

EdroGrimshell
2011-07-27, 02:30 PM
Runesmith [Runic]
You can apply runes to the core of a metal object as it is forged by folding the metal in specific ways.
Prerequisites: Craft (Weaponsmithing, Armorsmithing, Blacksmithing, or Metalworking) 18 Ranks
Benefits: You can apply a rune array inside of a metal object by increasing the Craft DC of the rune by 20. You can choose to apply multiple runes but if one rune fails they all fail. This does not ruin the item which the runes are being scribed except when they roll a 1, in which case the metal is warped, becomes to brittle, or simply sets wrong and must be reforged.
Normal: Runes can only be placed on the surface of an item.

Material Specialization [Runic]
You are specialized in the creation of runes on a specific material such as crystal, bone, or flesh.
Prerequisites: Craft (relevant to the type of material) 6 ranks, Skill Focus [Craft (relevant to the type of material)]
Benefits: You gain a +5 bonus when scribing runes (including symbols) on your favored material.
Special: Material Specialization (Flesh) reduces the chance of misfire by 5% as you place the rune in locations that do not distort as much or in a way that limits the distortion.

Thought these two may help a bit for fitting certain concepts. I may have a few more later on.

silver spectre
2011-08-03, 08:44 AM
I really like this runic system, Domriso.:smallsmile:

It's effective and simple.
Have you given any thought to working in runes of a more practical nature (vermin repulsion, specific save enhancements, item weight reduction, etc...)?

Domriso
2011-08-03, 11:43 AM
I have other ideas, I've essentially just been lazy. :smallsigh:

Though, those ideas do seem interesting. If you've got anymore, thrown them at me, and I'll see if I can whip up some stats for them (since I really should be finishing this system, anyway).

silver spectre
2011-08-04, 06:26 AM
I have other ideas, I've essentially just been lazy. :smallsigh:

Though, those ideas do seem interesting. If you've got anymore, thrown them at me, and I'll see if I can whip up some stats for them (since I really should be finishing this system, anyway).

I was basically just spitballing a bit, but just consider how much effort goes into real world tech and research to accomplish some things that generally don't see much focus in the game world as they aren't generally much good for bashing something or keeping something from bashing you.

Vermin repulsion (no worries about fleas, lice, ticks, mosquitos, etc...).
+1-4 to saves versus disease (just think how much is spent on cold medicines every year).
Lightening loads for easier transport.
Reducing fatigue recovery time (recovering from a hard workout would be easier).
Skill enhancement (might be problematic as these runes are created through a skill system).
Air conditioning (not a necessity until you get used to it).
Cooking without starting a fire.

In the game world just think of things that the "average joe" couldn't handle or would desperately want to have.
Ethereal/incorporeal/invisible creatures.
Increase crop yield or herd growth.
Cosmetics (trillion dollar industry IRL).
Clothes/shoes that don't wear out or that clean themselves.

There is an enormous range of possibilities and a lot of them would just be flavor outside of unusual circumstances.
We can't cover them all, but maybe it's something to consider.

Domriso
2011-08-04, 11:21 AM
...I think I love you.

But seriously, you're actually hitting on a number of points that I had thought of when I started writing this system. I love the idea of creating non-combat options in my systems (another thing I want to do is create "commoner magic" for my games, just for flavor), and these are all really good ideas.

The skill bonus one is iffy, but I think it'll work itself out, for a couple reasons:
To gain a bonus to skills, you'll need to rune either on the tools used (requiring exceedingly small runes to begin with) or on some kind of glove of some form. And, multiple applications of the same rune won't stack, so if they want to try to give themselves some kind of infinite-loop bonus, they'd need to keep chaining the runes together, which would require them to keep getting smaller so they could fit it on the tools or glove, which would take forever...

In essence, the system itself kind of prevents abuse in most cases. Is it possible? Sure, but you'll spend half your life making tiny runes so that you can make tinier runes.

Ciber
2012-09-29, 06:07 PM
You could say that normal runes run off of ambient magic and will fail when in low magic areas. To go with this there could be a rune that taps into another plane for mana and makes your rune more resistant to outside magic or lack thereof.

[Edit] Oops probably should have checked the date before posting. My bad.

Domriso
2012-09-30, 12:24 AM
No problem. I just hope they don't close the thread; I do intend to come back to this.

As for the idea, it does seem possible. Low magic areas just don't allow enough energy for the runes to take effect (or perhaps it just weakens them?). It would make them pretty interesting.