PDA

View Full Version : So, I'm looking for a template... (3.5)

The-Mage-King
2011-07-07, 01:29 PM
Does anyone know of a template to give a Construct the Alternate Form ability? Any source should work, even 3rd party or homebrew. I just need to know where to find it.

If you're wondering why... Let's say "Transforming Mecha" and be done with it.

Thanks.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-07-07, 01:31 PM
The easiest way would be to grab the Surruhk and use their powers to bestow that ability onto the construct. Not exactly the best way of doing it, but that's all I have.

Necroticplague
2011-07-07, 01:38 PM
The easiest way would be to grab the Surruhk and use their powers to bestow that ability onto the construct. Not exactly the best way of doing it, but that's all I have.

I thought Sarruhk could only modify Scaled Ones? On a different note, try taking this line:Incarnate construct->necropolitan->swarm shifter. You now have an alternate form that is a swarm.

The-Mage-King
2011-07-07, 01:43 PM

Yeah... I guess I'll make this the fallback plan if I can't find it...

I thought Sarruhk could only modify Scaled Ones? On a different note, try taking this line:Incarnate construct->necropolitan->swarm shifter. You now have an alternate form that is a swarm.

I'm actually tring to make a giant boat that turns into a humanoid construct, or vice-versa...

Maybe screwing around with one of the -thrope templates will work... Find a way to make a were-golem to bite the boat after I drop the spell to make it a humanoid on it...

Tvtyrant
2011-07-07, 01:45 PM

I'm actually tring to make a giant boat that turns into a humanoid construct, or vice-versa...

Maybe screwing around with one of the -thrope templates will work... Find a way to make a were-golem to bite the boat after I drop the spell to make it a humanoid on it...

Animated Object + Magical Tattoo of Alter Self/Polymorph?

BillyBobJoe
2011-07-07, 01:54 PM

Actually no, that will not be your fallback plan. The Sarruhk is banned in my games, and that ban will never be lifted. If you want, I will make a template for. It should be relatively easier than finding an obscure template that may or may not exist. (If this isn't for my game, sorry, and forget I ever said anything.)

The-Mage-King
2011-07-07, 02:04 PM
Actually no, that will not be your fallback plan. The Sarruhk is banned in my games, and that ban will never be lifted. If you want, I will make a template for. It should be relatively easier than finding an obscure template that may or may not exist. (If this isn't for my game, sorry, and forget I ever said anything.)

It's for future reference, actually. I like artificer and that subtype, so whenever a gestalt campaign in high levels pops up, I try to use the combination. You know? Having found something in a 3rd party book might work for that.

:V But yeah. Partially for your campaign. I've been working up a template too, and I want something to compare it with.

Now to find that darn thing...

Urpriest
2011-07-07, 02:58 PM
If there's any monster out there with an Ex: Alternate form you could get it via Effigy. Can't think of any off-hand though.

Edit: Gazebo Jones from Iron Chef managed a pretty good one with Disciple of Juiblex.

Inferno
2011-07-07, 05:10 PM
make it an awakened, animated object (ship) with an at-will item of wood shape

Keld Denar
2011-07-07, 05:16 PM
A Warforged with a malfunctioning Psychoactive Skin of the Proteus that only allows you to Metamorph into boat-ular shapes? Of cource, the HD on an animated galley would be WAY out of your range to assume with Metamorphasis, but I'm sure you could Metamorph into a small row boat, or perhaps a roomy canoe?

Cog
2011-07-07, 05:52 PM
Of cource, the HD on an animated galley would be WAY out of your range to assume with Metamorphasis, but I'm sure you could Metamorph into a small row boat, or perhaps a roomy canoe?
Metamorphosis into a scale model of the desired ship, and then Expansion into the accurate size?

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-07-07, 06:17 PM
I recall a build which used Warforged and Shapechange to perform this trick. Since he was a construct, he could shapechange into a construct. A Gargantuan Animated Object was only 16 HD, which is plenty big enough for a small party to be in. Collossal is 32hd, so you'd need some Caster Level shenanigans to make it that big.

There was also a Warforged Druid version, but I don't know how RAW legal it was...

Grendus
2011-07-07, 06:25 PM
Persisted Alter Self? It's a little cheesy, but then, Persist always is, and it sounds like it's for a good cause.

Tvtyrant
2011-07-07, 06:34 PM
Effigy Mimic has the ability to transform into a very small boat.

Or use a Ha-Naga effigy and have it pretend to be a boat with its hide skill bonus!

Urpriest
2011-07-07, 07:14 PM
Effigy Mimic has the ability to transform into a very small boat.

Or use a Ha-Naga effigy and have it pretend to be a boat with its hide skill bonus!

Hmm...Effigy Mimic can get up to Huge, which is a small Yacht IIRC.

For something bigger...maybe some sort of built-in access to Expansion would fit the bill. Lacking other ideas at present.

Edit: If there is any way of turning an Aberration into an Animal or Vermin while keeping its Ex abilities, stacking Dungeonbred and Titanic would fit the bill.

Tvtyrant
2011-07-07, 07:28 PM
I found some that turn vermin and animals into magical beasts or aberrations, but not in reverse. I also found out that the Phrenic template is abusive when combined with Effigies, and you can use Arcane Oozes to make a cheaper golem.

Necroticplague
2011-07-07, 07:55 PM
Hmm...Effigy Mimic can get up to Huge, which is a small Yacht IIRC.

For something bigger...maybe some sort of built-in access to Expansion would fit the bill. Lacking other ideas at present.

Edit: If there is any way of turning an Aberration into an Animal or Vermin while keeping its Ex abilities, stacking Dungeonbred and Titanic would fit the bill.

Even though mimics are normally large, they can only mimic things with a volume of 5x5x6 feet, so you would end up with a really small boat.