PDA

View Full Version : Need a space age Role-playing game

Just_Ice
2011-07-07, 01:43 PM
I'm looking for a system that isn't star wars. Ideally something that's 3d6. This is for a solo campaign online, and I honestly don't know where to start looking for a good generic system that isn't ridiculously complicated. Thanks.

Jude_H
2011-07-07, 01:53 PM
My go-to space/scifi system is Diaspora. It's very friendly to narrative- and character-driven action, very open to customization and pretty easy to learn and run. Its srd is available for free online (http://www.vsca.ca/Diaspora/diaspora-srd.html) if you want to check it out (it's a bit difficult to navigate, so you'd probably want to pick up a pdf or book to run it).

I don't really understand the 3d6 specification. Diaspora's engine is 4d3, so it's got a bit less variance, but it's a pretty similar curve.

Morbis Meh
2011-07-07, 02:04 PM
Eclipse Phase seems a likely candidate, I think it's d20 though.

Malfunctioned
2011-07-07, 02:41 PM
Traveller. Character Creation might need a couple of readthroughs but other than that everything works on a 2d6 roll with a target number of 8, the roll modified by conditions or skills/characteristics.

LibraryOgre
2011-07-07, 04:05 PM
I'd go to d6 Space. It uses dice pools of d6s, is free to download, and very flexible.

Just_Ice
2011-07-07, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

Yeah, specifying "3d6" is a little weird, but I like the 3d6 curve, generally speaking.

I'll go over this list with the other guy. Thanks again.

Anderlith
2011-07-07, 06:03 PM
Traveler is the best for generic space games (& doesn't necessarily have to be generic)

LongVin
2011-07-07, 06:37 PM
You also have Metabarons for Space Opera

Winds
2011-07-07, 09:40 PM
I'm not sure of the top of my head whether it's 3d6, but there is a Firefly RPG if you're interested in that.

Knaight
2011-07-07, 09:41 PM
I'm not sure of the top of my head whether it's 3d6, but there is a Firefly RPG if you're interested in that.

Its Cortex system, which is a variable die system. Cortex's basic system is free, but it has some major issues.

LibraryOgre
2011-07-08, 10:51 AM

We played some Cortex Serenity last week. A deadly system if you're not careful, but fairly fun and easy to grasp.

Knaight, what problems did you run into with Cortex? We enjoyed it, but we also didn't push the system too hard.

Jude_H
2011-07-08, 01:24 PM
I like Cortex, but I always get the impression that the system expects players to cheat.

Without spending fate points, most of the target numbers are much higher than they should be for a single character. On the other hand, cooperation has huge enough benefits that as soon as 2-3 characters start working together, even the difficult target numbers become trivial.

Cooperation also becomes a key part of combats. As soon as two+ characters start ganging up on an enemy, that enemy kind of explodes into a thin reddish mist.

In my experience, the game ends up focusing on players convincing each other to help with their various interests. Combat becomes something players avoid (unless they can isolate and beat up a single target). It's still fun, but it's basically unsupported by the system itself, which looks like it wants to be a streamlined action-heavy Savage Worlds.

I'm still in love with the Cortex engine, with its skill specializations and free skill/ability associations, but it's a game that has a hard time doing what it's supposed to do.

Serenity specifically has another couple quirks, where characters with identical initiatives are supposed to act simultaneously somehow and there's no explanation of when penalties refresh. Those were both resolved in later Cortex games, but they were a problem for a while.

Knaight
2011-07-08, 01:42 PM
We played some Cortex Serenity last week. A deadly system if you're not careful, but fairly fun and easy to grasp.

Knaight, what problems did you run into with Cortex? We enjoyed it, but we also didn't push the system too hard.

I think the Serenity iteration fixed them all actually. I know Smallville did. Originally though, there were some major structural issues with the combat system in particular, mostly regarding multiple actions.

LibraryOgre
2011-07-08, 01:52 PM
I think the Serenity iteration fixed them all actually. I know Smallville did. Originally though, there were some major structural issues with the combat system in particular, mostly regarding multiple actions.

Yeah... most of our game was spent arguing about how to keep our cargo when an Alliance SAS dragooned us into evacuating a research station. Then we went and fought Reavers on an ice dwarf.

Knaight
2011-07-08, 02:01 PM
Yeah... most of our game was spent arguing about how to keep our cargo when an Alliance SAS dragooned us into evacuating a research station. Then we went and fought Reavers on an ice dwarf.

Sounds like a lot of fun. In any case, Cortex is a great and wonderful system, its everything Savage Worlds should have been, and a few minor flaws don't detract from that, particularly in situations where you have published game designers in your group.

Delwugor
2011-07-08, 02:40 PM
I'd go to d6 Space. It uses dice pools of d6s, is free to download, and very flexible.
Agreed or Mini Six if you want even lighter and you can still use the d6 Space book to supplement it.

Just_Ice
2011-07-08, 04:46 PM
We're going with d6 Space. If there are any significant idiosyncrasies to the system, please let me know.

Thanks, everyone.

LibraryOgre
2011-07-08, 04:56 PM
We're going with d6 Space. If there are any significant idiosyncrasies to the system, please let me know.

Thanks, everyone.

Nothing significant, but I will say my preference is for health points over health levels.