PDA

View Full Version : How was Giantitp Created

Lordof Dorkness
2011-07-07, 08:14 PM
How was giant in the playground created?
Was it a single person with some tech-savvy friends?
Is it hosted by a company?
I just wonder how to get a site on the internet like the giant in the playground.

Magicyop
2011-07-07, 08:27 PM
Really, anybody can make a website. You have a couple options.

Firstly, you can make it from scratch. (Learn some basic HTML, it's not a difficult language!) That's good for a simple "information" style website, and of course, that's what on some level everyone in using.

Drupal is a really good choice if you want a community based website. It's a service that essentially creates a forum/community database and related user and administrator interface, and I believe they are either free or very cheap.

The fact is, google is your friend here. There's no real secret to website design, although making a good one takes hard work and practice.

I guess what I'm saying is, making a site is easy. Making a good site is very difficult indeed.

Lordof Dorkness
2011-07-07, 08:28 PM
Really, anybody can make a website. You have a couple options.

Firstly, you can make it from scratch. (Learn some basic HTML, it's not a difficult language!) That's good for a simple "information" style website, and of course, that's what on some level everyone in using.

Thanks for the input.:smallsmile:
Good thing I learned HTML.:smallbiggrin:

Magicyop
2011-07-07, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the input.:smallsmile:
Good thing I learned HTML.:smallbiggrin:

Ah, so I assume in that case what you're asking is how to make an already programmed website available to internet viewers?

You are going to need some kind of server to host your website on. And you need to reserve a domain name. Both those things are not too difficult, but could take some work and/or have minor costs associated with them.

In any case, if what you're looking for is a forum/community website, like I said before, I highly recommend drupal (http://drupal.org/). I've used it before and I'm very happy with it. It's much more simple than coding an entire forum system yourself, and it's high quality.

Lordof Dorkness
2011-07-07, 08:35 PM
Thank you very much.
i have come across a problem though....
i can't install drupal.

Surfing HalfOrc
2011-07-07, 11:22 PM
GiantitP is powered by vBullitin, as listed at the bottom of the page. If you want a Bullitin Board type website, you have several options and hosting companies.

Content and active mods with clear guidelines on what is acceptable (to you) next thing to consider for your site. What exactly do you want your site to do?

TheLaughingMan
2011-07-07, 11:43 PM
how is gitp formed

how bullitin get pregnat

I'm fairly certain there are quite a few people running the site, at least from observation.

Lordof Dorkness
2011-07-07, 11:51 PM
I would think so. I just meant when it first started were there many people involved.

Rawhide
2011-07-08, 01:06 AM
The Giant in the Playground website is generated by a custom CMS (Content Management System) programmed specifically for this site. It uses dynamic web content to output static web pages.

Only the forums use vBulletin.

Hosting is on a dedicated server at a data centre and is far and away more expensive than I can see for your requirements.

---

Most content management systems are entirely dynamic, which has its benefits but does use more resources. This should be fine for your requirements, assuming you want a CMS driven site and not one you're going to design by hand or in a WYSIWYG editor.

There are three main free CMSes that you should look into, Joomla, WordPress and Drupal. Of those three, Joomla is probably the easiest and Drupal is definitely the hardest to use.

You will NOT be able to install these on your local computer. They need to be installed on a web host.

You will need to find a web hosting company that is reliable, does what you need and you can afford. You're looking at around $5 a month for the absolute most basic. On top of that you need a domain, you're looking at about $20 a year, depending on domain registration company.

You will probably want a company where you can just tick a box to install your CMS, rather than trying to do it manually.