PDA

View Full Version : Maho-Tsukai Overpowered.

dascarletm
2011-07-07, 10:30 PM
I want to play a maho tsukai in a coming DnD campaign, however the DM is probably going to bar me from the class because of the ability to have OP save DCs. Is there something balancing this that we are ignoring, or is there an online fix that i could show him so that I can get him to allow the class with ease?

Thanks

Psyren
2011-07-08, 11:02 AM
The class is unbalanced because the Taint system itself is unbalanced. In addition, they go on to mititgate the taint's drawback (reducing the Con penalty) while keeping its benefit intact; furthermore, they can pay for metamagic with Con damage and substitute a flat 23 points of damage for exorbitant material components.

The class is extremely broken; your DM would be right to ban it.

Andorax
2011-07-08, 11:23 AM
What do you like about the class, and is there an alternative class or approach that can do something similar?

Jude_H
2011-07-08, 01:03 PM
If you wanted to try to tone it down:
1. Cap Taint at 15+level for casting purposes.
2. Blood Casting might start as Eschew Materials, gain access to the 4 steps of reduction (50/300/750/∞)+ at levels 4, 8, 12 and 16. That way, it wouldn't mean free Simulacrums or Trap the Souls until level 16, just in time to match the rest of the game in its crazy spiral out of control.
3. Cap metamagic reduction at [level/2] levels of reduction per day.

I think that would keep the point and feel of the class, without being as overwhelming as it is in OA.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-07-08, 01:10 PM
Alternately, keep it an 'NPC ONLY' class, like it was supposed to be.

Players were never supposed to get a lot of taint. in fact, in the L5R game, getting too much taint was a Game Over scene. It's a bit overpowering, because it's supposed to be a BBEG class, not a PC class.

But hey, if you think this is bad, look up Tainted Sorcerer...