PDA

View Full Version : Odd graphics card issue

Marnath
2011-07-07, 11:38 PM
The computer I'm on now used to have two monitors, but I only have one. Thing is, I can't get my monitor to display anything with just the graphics card it's plugged into. I have to have the pci card in it's slot too, even though it's not the one my monitor is plugged into. I don't want to have to do that because the fan is noisy and doesn't turn very well and I'm afraid one of these days it'll overheat. Plus I don't need two videocards anyway.:smallconfused:

I'm running windows XP.

factotum
2011-07-08, 01:33 AM
If you get display properties up, does it show there being two displays available? If so, which one is number 1 (the default)?

Marnath
2011-07-08, 09:47 AM
If you get display properties up, does it show there being two displays available? If so, which one is number 1 (the default)?

The one I'm not using is number 1, but it's not attached and my desktop isn't extended to it. Do I need to be using that one instead somehow?

Brother Oni
2011-07-08, 11:48 AM
The one I'm not using is number 1, but it's not attached and my desktop isn't extended to it. Do I need to be using that one instead somehow?

No, you need to get the one you are using, listed as number 1. It should be as simple as a drop down box which lets you change it.

Marnath
2011-07-08, 12:18 PM
No, you need to get the one you are using, listed as number 1. It should be as simple as a drop down box which lets you change it.

I set the drop box to number 1 and all that did was highlight display 1 in the setup window. I guess I don't know what you meant?

Brother Oni
2011-07-09, 09:04 AM
I'm a bit confused as well, since how are you seeing what's displayed? :smallconfused:

Okay, kludgy fix time. Take out the unwanted video card, plug your wanted monitor in the remaining card.

Start up in safe mode and alter your display settings that way, then restart in normally.

If you can't get anything to display in safe mode, then you may need to go into your BIOS and check the display adaptor (my motherboard has onboard graphics and I have to specifically disable it to get my machine to use the PCIE card).

If you can't see anything in BIOS, check the monitor cables and connections.